Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Octavo
Feb 11, 2019

change my name posted:

Has anyone else played Die? It launched as a tie-in with the Kieron Gillen comic about people getting Jumanji'ed into their D&D game and now they're officially launching a Kickstarter to realize the full game:
https://rowanrookanddecard.com/die-rpg-launches-in-november-and-were-making-it/

One of my 5e campaign players is really into it, he's DMed like 2 one-shots for us that were fun.

I ran a couple of campaigns of it. It was very fun and the mechanics were very clever. I'm very much looking forward to the completed version.
Like a PbtA game, every character ability is on their respective sheets, but the mechanics themselves are not closely related to PbtA. The rest of the mechanics were designed so that the GM doesn't have a lot to keep track of. Monster statblocks are even shorter than the ones in 13th Age.

Octavo fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Sep 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I've really enjoyed the comic so I'm probably going to back it, even though I should probably get a look at the existing beta rules more closely, first.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

tanglewood1420 posted:

13th Age is a 7/10 game, but Eyes of the Stone Thief is a 9.5/10 adventure*. When the time comes that I want to run a EotST campaign (and it will come one day) I'm not going to spend weeks figuring out how to port it to Strike! or Fellowship or something. 13th Age will do the job just fine.

*Disclaimer: I have not personally ran or played EotST. Rating based on me reading it and really digging it, plus feedback from two different groups I know who have played it and say it's awesome.

Just want to endorse this from the GM side. Eyes is an absolute dream to run, a flexible toolkit that you can run easily with low prep or something you can use easily around your own campaign structure, full of evocative encounters and setpieces you can reuse elsewhere if needed. lots of good NPC semiantagonists with their own motives that can just be fights but don't break the plot if your group makes friends with everyone. good hands on gm advice about tone and pacing. Legit funny sometimes and you know how hard that is in RPG writing

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Splicer posted:

Are they still doing the thing where you can't use characters you've bought unless everyone in the game has also bought that character?

Disclaimer: I can't imagine playing the game multiplayer, due to the quarterbacking that would ensue.

But yes, yes they are. Obviously they can't do that with the workshop characters.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

habituallyred posted:

Disclaimer: I can't imagine playing the game multiplayer, due to the quarterbacking that would ensue.

But yes, yes they are. Obviously they can't do that with the workshop characters.

It's funny how the switch to single character changes some of the characters from bad to fine. Specifically Fanatic, since she has a full on board wipe in her deck that causes such a whine storm if you play it in tabletop, but if you're just controlling all four characters you can be like "Well, there comes a time."

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

theironjef posted:

It's funny how the switch to single character changes some of the characters from bad to fine. Specifically Fanatic, since she has a full on board wipe in her deck that causes such a whine storm if you play it in tabletop, but if you're just controlling all four characters you can be like "Well, there comes a time."

Yeah or characters that are utterly boring to play but add a ton of value like Legacy wind up not being so bad when you'vegot multiple characters to play. Bunker and Absolute Zero still feel like trash -at least their default cards I don't know if some of their variants make them viable rather than actively detrimental, since all villains scale now.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Coolness Averted posted:

Yeah or characters that are utterly boring to play but add a ton of value like Legacy wind up not being so bad when you'vegot multiple characters to play. Bunker and Absolute Zero still feel like trash -at least their default cards I don't know if some of their variants make them viable rather than actively detrimental, since all villains scale now.

Bunker's deck is just garbage. His Freedom 5 variant 'fixes' him by giving him an extremely strong support ability completely tangential to his terrible cards. Absolute Zero is actually fixed by his Freedom Five variant though: it lets him actually set up quickly enough to get off his big dumb combo before the villain inevitably disrupts him.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Anyone know if this guy’s broadcasts are any good? https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/guysclanders/the-practical-guide-to-becoming-a-great-gm

The 5e style layout is a bad sign. I’m guessing it’s not going to cover improvisation or catch 22s.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
As a quick heads up, Rowan Rook and Decard has a sale going on again for all of their resistance stuff. Worth checking out if you liked Heart or Spire. I love just how incredibly fair all their pricing ends up. Like their quickstarts and digital art stuff are usually 3 bucks or pay what you want, pdfs are cheap and print books also come bundled with pdfs you can download and read as soon as you order. I just picked up the print versions of all the Heart stuff released after the core book since I can afford it, and my group got way more hours of entertainment out of Spire than what I paid for their bundle of holding and my purchase of the core book hardbacks.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

hyphz posted:

Anyone know if this guy’s broadcasts are any good? https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/guysclanders/the-practical-guide-to-becoming-a-great-gm

The 5e style layout is a bad sign. I’m guessing it’s not going to cover improvisation or catch 22s.

You can decide for yourself:

https://www.youtube.com/c/HowtobeaGreatGM/videos

He's alright, IMO. He does cover TTRPGs other than 5e and in fact released one himself recently - that one is so not 5e, it's actually diceless. So he's probably not going to suffer from 5e myopia.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Coolness Averted posted:

As a quick heads up, Rowan Rook and Decard has a sale going on again for all of their resistance stuff. Worth checking out if you liked Heart or Spire. I love just how incredibly fair all their pricing ends up. Like their quickstarts and digital art stuff are usually 3 bucks or pay what you want, pdfs are cheap and print books also come bundled with pdfs you can download and read as soon as you order. I just picked up the print versions of all the Heart stuff released after the core book since I can afford it, and my group got way more hours of entertainment out of Spire than what I paid for their bundle of holding and my purchase of the core book hardbacks.

Are their PDFs from their own store watermarked? I own the full Spire range via DTRPG and was very disappointed that they're watermarked there, to the point where I'd be willing to rebuy just to get rid of them.

Spire is still a game I'll probably never get to play or run, but it's deeply interesting to me regardless.

C...
Jan 22, 2008

Tootin the Doom Flute has led the Kingdom of Ankist into a new age of illumination. Every morning, people wake up and open palm slam a woodwind instrument into their mouth. It is the Doom Flute and right then and there they start playing the notes. They play every note, and they play every note hard

SkyeAuroline posted:

Spire is still a game I'll probably never get to play or run, but it's deeply interesting to me regardless.

I'm in the same boat, regrettably. If someone wants to GM it for us, though....

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

hyphz posted:

Guy’s advice focuses heavily on his screen writing experience. This makes it more interesting to me than the average YouTube gming dreck. You should watch some of his videos to see if this kind of advice is for you, hyphz.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

fool of sound posted:

Bunker's deck is just garbage. His Freedom 5 variant 'fixes' him by giving him an extremely strong support ability completely tangential to his terrible cards. Absolute Zero is actually fixed by his Freedom Five variant though: it lets him actually set up quickly enough to get off his big dumb combo before the villain inevitably disrupts him.

I wanted to raise a mild protest that AZ is Good, Actually but then I remember just how much stuff eats his equipment. I tend to stick with Unity and Sky-Scraper anyway, the former of which's variants I still haven't really gotten the hang of and the latter who is objectively not good against villains thanks to a lot of 'damage EVERYONE' powers. I still like her, though. :unsmith:

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

I wanted to raise a mild protest that AZ is Good, Actually but then I remember just how much stuff eats his equipment. I tend to stick with Unity and Sky-Scraper anyway, the former of which's variants I still haven't really gotten the hang of and the latter who is objectively not good against villains thanks to a lot of 'damage EVERYONE' powers. I still like her, though. :unsmith:

The secret with Unity is to run her base kit alongside someone like Wraith or Benchmark who spams equipment and doesn't mind losing it. Her alt forms are kinda dubious outside of multiplayer formats where you're worried about stepping on peoples' toes by eating their cards. The big secret of Sky-Scaper is that she's not actually a damage character; she's a super versatile support, and AoE/occasional burst are just parts of her big toolkit.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

SkyeAuroline posted:

Are their PDFs from their own store watermarked? I own the full Spire range via DTRPG and was very disappointed that they're watermarked there, to the point where I'd be willing to rebuy just to get rid of them.

Nope! No watermarks. At this point I've purchased the Spire core book twice and yeah with such a great looking internal layout and consistent art I'd be pretty disappointed with watermarks beyond maybe one of those "This book was purchased by <DTRPG account> on one of the early blank pages" some RPGs do.
No wonky protections on the text either in case you want to copy and paste a description or passage like an advance into a character sheet or a description into your GM notes.
Worst thing there is sometimes some weird formatting stuff based on font.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Dawgstar posted:

Villains outside of the base game are much better about destroying X ongoing/equipment cards instead of wiping everything out. Some heros care substantially less about losing their ongoing cards, letting them block for folks that are screwed without their signature cards. Guise is the obvious one here, but Ra, Legacy, and Mr. Fixer are good too. Unity is a character that should almost always go last, and really wants a buddy who can drag stuff out of the trash.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

fool of sound posted:

The secret with Unity is to run her base kit alongside someone like Wraith or Benchmark who spams equipment and doesn't mind losing it. Her alt forms are kinda dubious outside of multiplayer formats where you're worried about stepping on peoples' toes by eating their cards. The big secret of Sky-Scaper is that she's not actually a damage character; she's a super versatile support, and AoE/occasional burst are just parts of her big toolkit.

The secret with Unity is to run her with some other hero that has regular card play effects. Mechanical golems can't be played during Unity's play phase, which is not the same as needing a specific "put a mechanical golem into play" effect to get them out.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

habituallyred posted:

Villains outside of the base game are much better about destroying X ongoing/equipment cards instead of wiping everything out. Some heros care substantially less about losing their ongoing cards, letting them block for folks that are screwed without their signature cards. Guise is the obvious one here, but Ra, Legacy, and Mr. Fixer are good too. Unity is a character that should almost always go last, and really wants a buddy who can drag stuff out of the trash.

Later villains and environments are also far more likely to work on faster timetables or have other mechanics that punish someone slow to get rolling or that need a full board.
Balance for Sentinels is weird. Like they couldn't quite decide if it was meant to be a "Everyone just grabs the character that seems fun," "You should play specific teams or balanced formulas" or "minmax and break the game or else"
Has there been any word on if the new edition is gonna address any balance stuff like that? Or was it just going to be the new art and making sure you can get all the cards with the modern rules on them?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Glazius posted:

The secret with Unity is to run her with some other hero that has regular card play effects. Mechanical golems can't be played during Unity's play phase, which is not the same as needing a specific "put a mechanical golem into play" effect to get them out.

Oh lmao I didn't know that trick.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

fool of sound posted:

Oh lmao I didn't know that trick.

Yeah it's why she pairs so well with Omnitron X. Which goes back to the "sometimes we design ally heroes to have major synergy, sometimes we don't" thing.
Like you'd expect the WW2 versions of Legacy and Bunker to maybe have some extreme synergy instead of WW2 Legacy and Stuntman being the dream team. Though really, that Legacy pretty much pairs well with anyone that wants to use their powers a lot.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

change my name posted:

Has anyone else played Die? It launched as a tie-in with the Kieron Gillen comic about people getting Jumanji'ed into their D&D game and now they're officially launching a Kickstarter to realize the full game:
https://rowanrookanddecard.com/die-rpg-launches-in-november-and-were-making-it/

One of my 5e campaign players is really into it, he's DMed like 2 one-shots for us that were fun.

I played in a campaign that was a lot of fun! I'm not normally a big fan of classes but the ones in this have a reasonable amount of flexibility while being pretty easy to understand for someone like me who's familiar with like two systems (that are very different from this one).

I'd definitely recommend a try if it looks up anyone's alley.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Oh no. The Cultist Simulator RPG.. turns out to be using Invisible Sun's business model. And I think the author is still not a good person. https://weatherfactory.biz/the-lady-afterwards-a-cultist-simulator-trpg

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

hyphz posted:

Oh no. The Cultist Simulator RPG.. turns out to be using Invisible Sun's business model. And I think the author is still not a good person. https://weatherfactory.biz/the-lady-afterwards-a-cultist-simulator-trpg
Alexis Kennedy is a sexual predator, yes.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

hyphz posted:

Yikes.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

hyphz posted:

On the one hand, even though I really don't like those limited playthrough tabletop games, I don't think I'd object to a GMless RPG sold as a "limited experience box," but really this is isn't that, is it? It looks like one of those old TSR boxes only they fully ran out of ideas for toys and trinkets so just started throwing in scented candles to crank up the price.

I remember what made Invisible Sun so offensive wasn't that it required the physical stuff, it was that it boiled down to just a Monte Cook D&D homebrew setting with the greebles lazily bolted on. It even missed opportunities for funky stuff like "wizards need to play tetris to fill their brain with their spells here's a sheet you do that on" except it wasn't funky shapes or anything creative, just point buy with an extra layer of artifice.

Also why the hell is Kennedy designing the game a selling point here? All of his games suck as games. I thought everyone acknowledged this. They're cool settings and concepts or in the case of Cultist RPG had charming art too, but people would mod Sunless Sea for example to be a choose own adventure that largely ignored the poorly implemented mechanics.
Wouldn't a much better pitch be licensing it or hiring people with a track record of solid games then having him do some fluff writing?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, even if Alexis Kennedy were a person I felt comfortable giving money to, I'd side-eye any project where he wrote mechanics. Fallen London was a great story experience wrapped in a really tedious game, and I can't assume his TTRPG design would be any better.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Part of me thinks that since Kennedy's attempt to worm his way back into video games is failing, he's going for adjacent fields where maybe people don't know about his history.

--

I think the idea of an RPG which you only ever play once and then you're done isn't without merit, though. It feels a little like a natural extension of one-shots.

I think there's also something to the idea of a 'legacy RPG' similar to a legacy board game, where you customise the rulebook with stickers and wotnot as you play so the game rapidly becomes your own thing. I feel like it overlaps some with both normal houseruling habits and also the OSR 'build your own game out of bits you like' approach, but I never put serious thought into it.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
It's the kind of thing I could see working but it would work best not as some super expensive premium book but rather one of those super cheap POD books you get off Amazon for like 5 to 10 bucks

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

drrockso20 posted:

It's the kind of thing I could see working but it would work best not as some super expensive premium book but rather one of those super cheap POD books you get off Amazon for like 5 to 10 bucks

To be fair, adventures like the Dracula Dossier are already 75% of the way there to making a legacy RPG. If not in terms of the rules changing over time, then in the emphasis on giving players a big, interesting thing to untangle over time as part of an adventure that you're realistically only going to play once. Pelgrane just hasn't tried applying that kind of energy to the rules themselves, and they're the only big adventure publishers that I'd trust to attempt something like this enough for it to be a premium book.

Lurks With Wolves fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Oct 2, 2021

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
Still, the only two groups I'd actually trust to make some kind of legacy rpg adventure are Pelgrane Press and extremely weird indie RPG people. Everyone else, no way, they don't have the right drive to make weird high-concept adventures to actually do this in an interesting way.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
Re: "Legacy" TTRPGs, there's also The Wizard's Grimoire, a role-playing game by D Vincent Baker of Apocalypse World fame--the pitch is that you help your fledgling wizard proceed through a diegetic grimoire that is also a real life text with sections and spells to unlock, each part of which is meant to remain hidden until you fulfilled its unlock condition. Neat premise, have yet to round up a group for it.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

CitizenKeen posted:

So, 13th Age. A winner by default.

I'm going to chime in that this is pretty much the same boat I'm in. Two friends of mine wanted to do an online game, and they've both got over a decade of experience trying out various games I've GMed for them. One wanted a D&D-flavored thing, and while we've all had fun in 3e and 4e those are both way more work than anyone wanted to volunteer to do. If I didn't offer to do 13th Age, one of the other friends might have tried running 5e instead. They both like 13th Age exclusive stuff like the Escalation Die, Backgrounds, One Unique Thing, and somewhat like Icons. They also like the jokey tone the book takes sometimes. Additionally, it has powers close enough to 4e to have a satisfying amount of tactical weight. One friend brought in their SO to play, and she's been having fun too, I think. The sorcerer class is probably a few too many buttons and dials for her, but she can laser things to death well without having to mess around with every class feature. It's not a perfect game, and I think it stinks that the base 13th Age rulebook drifted into "dumbed down" melee classes, but it's a good D&D compromise.

I'm also about to send them into The Eyes of the Stone Thief, too. Like they're at the dungeon entrance as of the end of their last game. I'm excited to see how it goes.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Excuse me, what?

lol

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I need to know what games they play so I can lord it over my Posting Nemeses.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
The fact that the reserved symbol isn't non-breaking tickles me.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

http://achewood.com/comic.php?date=10172005

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Well at least it's not the D&D comic Achewood did when Gygax died, that one was just plain mean in a way that was weird even for Achewood(and not even in a particularly funny way either)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Eh, Gygax was a lovely person and deserved it. As a D&D nerd I didn't feel personally affronted.