Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Junpei posted:

So I'm curious, the Breath of the Wild 2 first trailer had us thinking that it'd be a super underground, caves and tunnels adventure, and the second one had it looking kind of Skyward Sword-y, so I'm wondering if BotW 2 will be more vertical than the first one (and it's not like it didn't have verticality)?

I want it all. Full explorable underground with a Metroidvania worth of tunnels. Flying through all those sky islands. Diving/swimming/ironbooting in a massive ocean with trenches and reefs stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
drat, I really want some under water stuff. Playing BOTW is like playing GTA3 or Vice City where you can't go in the water at all.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Cojawfee posted:

drat, I really want some under water stuff. Playing BOTW is like playing GTA3 or Vice City where you can't go in the water at all.

It was good that they fixed that by San Andreas.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

On a whim I started playing Zelda 2 today, welp just like that I lost 4 hours. Why is that dumb game so drat charming?

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

it's not. perhaps someone put a zelda 2 sticker on a better game and you got tricked.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Zelda II is fun

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

b_d posted:

it's not. perhaps someone put a zelda 2 sticker on a better game and you got tricked.

Thank you for reminding me to rewatch that Christian Slater movie about early NES games and autism.

It's okay not to get how fun old games can be.

I'll leave you with people arguing about Ocarina vs Majora.

it's LttP or WW

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

b_d posted:

Nah.

It’s the music. I think you play it just to hear those awesome tunes and the game just happens in the background.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Junpei posted:

Not gonna lie I think it would be cool if there was like, a village of friendly monsters who don't like/serve Ganon/insert villain of the game who Link could interact with like normal villagers/people and do sidequests for

Well…

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
The Wind Warrior.....or whatever it's called. Should I play this game?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
sure

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I will endlessly call for the sequel to be all of the above but taking place in the areas across the canyons that surround north and west Hylia. The pillars in the north could collapse and suddenly offer passage. I say use same races but with different cultures who also find you mysterious and strange since the last contact with Hylia was 10,000 years ago before the rise of Gannon. Make a sub plot where the Rito have been sending scouts to the new land for centuries to trade and communicate with their northern brethren but never told anybody for reasons that pertain to the storyline

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Like I’m talking even finding a Bokobilin culture that isn’t warlike, and having get over your own expectations and prejudice to befriend them, etc

Edit: you can even have the game start with you with all of your Champion powers and you even have to get over to the new lands by using Revali’s gale over the collapsed pillars. But you find once you get to the new lands your powers don’t work since you are out of range of the spirit Champions, therefor giving the reason why you don’t have all of your nifty gear and powers in the new land (and can’t get back to Hylia to just go pick up the Master Sword and Ancient armor)

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Thank you for reading my fan fiction, please do not steal by Gatos Y Vatos grade 8

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Oct 2, 2021

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I finally got around to playing Link’s Awakening on the Switch. Frame rate issues aside, it’s pretty great. I didn’t realize how much they changed/added and playing it on Hero Mode makes it feel different, for better and for worse. It’s a slog until after dungeon 2 when you have access to a fairy fountain and the color dungeon.

I also didn’t realize how extensive Dampe’s chamber dungeons were and doing those challenges is fun too. I basically just pack every dungeon with treasure chests to maximize my rupee intake. I heard there are ways to make dungeons where you can get a lot of rupees quickly but I generally only get small amounts from each chest and am not sure what determines what color rupee is in each chest. I’d like to buy all of the chamber stones from the tool shop but they are super expensive.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Necrothatcher posted:

Isn't that in the Oracle games?
Yep, Subrosia, unless I'm forgetting something else.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

RestingB1tchFace posted:

The Wind Warrior.....or whatever it's called. Should I play this game?

Hell yeah.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

The Dave posted:

On a whim I started playing Zelda 2 today, welp just like that I lost 4 hours. Why is that dumb game so drat charming?

b_d posted:

I don't hate the game on principle but it's my default worst on account of being too Nintendo HardTM for me to finish it or ever feel like trying again.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

b_d posted:

Zelda 2 is 2 cool 4 u

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I’ll admit I don’t think I ever beat it without save states.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Does the game tell you that Manbo’s Mambo let’s you warp whenever you want? Because I just figured that out and I’m at dungeon 8 lol

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Did you just never play it or what lol

I'm pretty sure it does tell you what it does too

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Amppelix posted:

Did you just never play it or what lol

I'm pretty sure it does tell you what it does too

In the original it just warped you to that pond near Tracey’s house, so I assumed that’s what it did in this version too. I guess I hadn’t even tried playing it lol

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

In the original it just warped you to that pond near Tracey’s house, so I assumed that’s what it did in this version too. I guess I hadn’t even tried playing it lol

In the Game Boy versions it warped you only to Crazy Tracy's house, or to the beginning of the dungeon inside dungons.

In the remake it can also warp to any activated warp hole.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Dave posted:

I’ll admit I don’t think I ever beat it without save states.

I do love Z2 but neither did I

I got to the final boss twice as a kid but never won

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I've never beaten Zelda 2. I've never even gotten to the Great Palace. That gauntlet with all the Lizalfos on the way just destroys me every time.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

The Bloop posted:

I do love Z2 but neither did I

I got to the final boss twice as a kid but never won

yep

I don't feel like using an emulator to go back in time for that one.

I really enjoyed it up until the last palace which was rude.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Twelve by Pies posted:

I've never beaten Zelda 2. I've never even gotten to the Great Palace. That gauntlet with all the Lizalfos on the way just destroys me every time.

Yeah it's really the hike to the palace that's the worst part

The thrown rocks and ghosts feel like the only "random" unfair element in the game. The rest is all skill.

The 1up system was really really really dumb though. That's my biggest criticism, and emulation fixes it entirely.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I had to really cheese to get Zelda II done. Had to use guides, had to grind it out until I reached max level. And then when fighting Link's Shadow I did the classic crouching maneuver to beat him. Don't regret it, the game was tough as nails but I enjoyed it still.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

TheLoneStar posted:

I had to really cheese to get Zelda II done. Had to use guides, had to grind it out until I reached max level. And then when fighting Link's Shadow I did the classic crouching maneuver to beat him. Don't regret it, the game was tough as nails but I enjoyed it still.

I’ve always wanted Nintendo to attempt to make a modern version of this game. Either a remaster or a spiritual successor. The core ideas are great: side scrolling towns and dungeons, overworld map, light rpg mechanics and spells. Just polish it the gently caress up and make it not hard as balls.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I came across this, as a game it would play awful but really cool art project.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgIJ36r75Qk

The Dave fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Oct 3, 2021

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Zelda game made by Supergiant when

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

The Dave posted:

I came across this, as a game it would play awful but really cool art project.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgIJ36r75Qk

It looks like Flashback.

A game where if you don't die in the first minute you're not playing it right. But then it gets easier. Not really apt for a Zelda 2 reinvisioning.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Zelda game made by Supergiant when

over 100,000 hours of voice lines from... let's see here... navi. just navi.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Listen Navi is going to have the voice of Logan Cunningham and we're all going to love it.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
grinding runs so that I finally unlock the Sidon relationship prompt

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

LividLiquid posted:

Holy poo poo! It does?! How did I not know these! Here I thought I was cool for knowing the Skyward Sword theme is Zelda's lullaby backwards.

Yup, since I have nothing else to do at 2:40 in the morning I transcribed it for you so it's easier to understand:

The top is the first four bars of the B section of the Hyrule Castle Theme in LTTP:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uR7doemZD0&t=55s (I have it cued up at the end of the Crescendo that leads into the B section)

The bottom is the first four bars of the Zelda 1 Dungeon (in the melody, not the arpeggios):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7T6ZNgoP5M

I mean, they're both in G minor too, it's completely intentional, just the Hyrule Castle theme has passing notes at the beginning of the melody to change things up a bit.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

sigher posted:

Yup, since I have nothing else to do at 2:40 in the morning I transcribed it for you so it's easier to understand:

The top is the first four bars of the B section of the Hyrule Castle Theme in LTTP:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uR7doemZD0&t=55s (I have it cued up at the end of the Crescendo that leads into the B section)

The bottom is the first four bars of the Zelda 1 Dungeon (in the melody, not the arpeggios):

I mean, they're both in G minor too, it's completely intentional, just the Hyrule Castle theme has passing notes at the beginning of the melody to change things up a bit.

That's awesome, it's one of those things I never noticed for decades and then my mind instantly switched to that exact part the moment the comparison was mentioned.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

sigher posted:

Interesting. I’ve never played Zelda 1 for the first time and that dungeon theme with its steady progression downward sounded familiar, kinda like the ending of the Hostias in Mozart’s Requiem if you’re familiar

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I played the original Zelda when it came out. Man it was really a lot of fun and there was nothing else quite like it back then. :corsair::unsmith:

I really hope we get some more news about BOTW2 by the end of the year. I'm still hoping for a Springtime 2022 release.

Hat-lock
Jan 5, 2007

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I really hope we get some more news about BOTW2 by the end of the year. I'm still hoping for a Springtime 2022 release.

That seems extremely ambitious.

But I hope I am wrong!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Hat-lock posted:

That seems extremely ambitious.

But I hope I am wrong!

Oh yeah I'm honestly not expecting anything by Spring of 2022 but another trailer and then Nintendo saying "2023", but I can always hope.