Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

BigglesSWE posted:

It’s a neat experiment (and we’ll never know how he actually looked so why the hell not) but iconographic history would likely not be very helpful at all. To my knowledge there are zero references to his appearance in the earliest known sources of his life, and I’d wager that the general appearances on display through Christian art has its ultimate origin from some Christian dude just making shot up, alternately, cribbing from some other source (I.e. taking the likeness of another person and attributing it to Jesus).

Sorry early Christian history is my ja

Also virtually every historian with any meaningful insight into the subject agrees that Jesus existed. As to the nature and particulars of that existent, there’s much debate, naturally.

It's more of a counter to the image some people got where they think he was a pure white guy. Possibly with automatic weapon and American flag cape.

And here's a poo poo:

https://twitter.com/patriottakes/status/1444369882292752386

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I feel like there had to have been a guy saying the kind of stuff Jesus is purported to have said around that time, but I think his supernatural abilities were probably exaggerated. Getting executed by Rome for running his mouth isn’t a stretch either.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

The Last Call posted:

It's more of a counter to the image some people got where they think he was a pure white guy. Possibly with automatic weapon and American flag cape.

And here's a poo poo:

Yeah it's a valid counter as well!

There's a fairly recent book that outlined how we got here:

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

The Pussy Boss posted:

Instead of blaming all of society's problems on hick inbred redneck rural "MAGA Chuds", it might be more effective to work towards a more economically equal society where everyone has health care, housing, education, and a living wage, without being trapped in crushing lifelong debt to obtain these things.

Yes, and people have. the problem is half the nation still has a voice and still opposes these things because while they might enjoy them, someone "undeserving" might get them too, and that's a no go, bro

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Jesus was always in masks so that people wouldn't melt when they looked at him.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/reddit-s-herman-cain-covid-award-depressing-sign-our-times-ncna1280616

quote:

Reddit's Herman Cain Covid 'award' is a depressing sign of our times
This push to revel in schadenfreude, and to assign collective blame, is understandable. But it's not psychologically healthy.

The increasingly popular r/HermanCainAward subreddit on Reddit.com is a distressingly predictable sign of America’s conflict-filled times. The subreddit, which now has upwards of 340,000 followers, “celebrates” those “who have made public declaration of their anti-mask, anti-vax, or Covid-hoax views,” only to die from Covid-19 or Covid-related complications. (It is named for Herman Cain, the former GOP presidential candidate and businessman who died from Covid-19 complications in 2020 after attending a Trump campaign rally in Oklahoma.)

With many regions in the United States still struggling to control this plague, attention has not surprisingly focused on the minority of Americans who have, for various reasons, refused to get vaccinated. A dark and sardonic corner of the internet, the r/HermanCainAward subreddit captures the rage and outrage of presumably vaccinated, mask-wearing individuals, many of whom have either been infected with Covid-19 in the past or have watched friends and family become ill — and even die.

This push to revel in schadenfreude, and to assign collective blame, is understandable and more than a little expected, especially on the internet. But this so-called award also captures the collective loss of empathy that colors so many of our political and personal conversations right now. Like soldiers who have been trained to see their enemies as less than human, we have forgotten that those who disagree with us are, despite everything, still people.

I personally understand the rage. I have watched good friends, colleagues and family — vaccinated, careful and regular mask wearers — become seriously ill with breakthrough Covid infections. It’s infuriating to think that all the steps you take to stay safe could be rendered meaningless because some thoughtless, misinformed or intentionally hurtful person has refused to take their own precautions.

Psychology has a name for the phenomenon that occurs when we see any single person or group of people as all good or all bad. It’s called splitting, and it is often an attempt to make ourselves feel less vulnerable. “If I’m good, and you’re bad,” the thinking goes, “then I’m the one who’s in the right, and I’ll be fine.” But splitting doesn’t take into account the reality that we all have both good and bad qualities; that we all hurt and are hurt by one another. Couples, for instance, often use splitting to protect themselves during conflict. “He did this” and “she always does that” is code for “I’m good and he/she’s bad.” One of the first things couples’ therapists often try to do is to help each partner verbalize their own pain, while simultaneously recognizing their counterpart's pain as well.

So if the goal of these commenters is to express fury or get revenge, they seem to be succeeding — at least if the subreddit's popularity is any indication. But if the goal is to change behavior, we need to do some more thinking. Some of the anti-vaxxers are, of course, simply misinformed, frightened or both. Much worse, however, are the ones who are old-fashioned bullies.

As Signe Whitson, who wrote “8 Keys to End Bullying: Strategies for Parents and Schools,” writes in her Psychology Today blog: “Bullies operate by making their victims feel alone and powerless. Children reclaim their power when they make and maintain connections with faithful friends and supportive adults.” The Herman Cain Award is a way of connecting with a larger group, and providing a sense of well-being and power in the face of animosity.

But Whitson and other experts on bullying agree with Chrissy Scivicque, the founder of EatYourCareer.com, who says, “The trick is to remain polite and professional while still setting your limits firmly. Don't let the bully get under your skin — that's what he wants.”

Indeed, one big problem with responses like the Herman Cain Award is that they actually reinforce the splitting phenomenon. Now we’re either the angry, mean, and ugly ones, or we’re the perpetual victims. There has to be a better way to stand up to anti-vaxxers.

Maybe a more effective response would be to create a site that presented the stories of people who have died because they didn’t get vaccinated or wear masks alongside the stories of people who took precautions but became seriously ill (or died) anyway. Such a site, which could also promote appropriate measures for survival and care, would not get as much traffic. But thinking optimistically, it might help change the minds of those who truly don’t mean to cause suffering to others, and who are not maliciously motivated. And it would also be a way of expressing multiple aspects of a difficult, complex, and dangerous situation.

For those whose intentions are more hate-filled, government intervention and regulations could, of course, make a difference. Vaccine mandates seem to be working so far. But barring that, many local communities are taking a stand. Those of us who continue to wear masks, even when ridiculed, are also quietly fighting bullies. It’s not as dramatic a strategy as the Herman Cain Award, but I have a feeling that it is more successful at promoting change.

Ultimately, the Herman Cain Award fulfills a primal wish to say, "I told you so." And it is a foreseeable internet response to feeling powerless in the face of a dangerous, vocal minority. But dehumanizing one another will not heal the split between anti-vaxxers and mask-wearers, or between the political right and left. Many of the stories on Reddit describe the sadness, confusion and pain of individuals who realized they were dying. Turning them into demons who “got what they deserved” could reinforce the hatred that is already dividing families, communities and really our entire country. And that divide could ultimately turn us all into soldiers, fighting a war that we will all lose.

:words: :jerkbag: :words: :decorum: :fuckoff:

So their solution is to create a “bOtH sIdEs” website that she admits, “would not get as much traffic.”

As for the “dehumanization” aspect, these people dehumanized us long before COVID, long before Trump, long before Bush v Gore, etc, etc.

It’s about time more people got fed up, and we need even more people to become more fed up.

It’s not “splitting” to say chuds have no good qualities, because from what I can see, they fuckin’ don’t. Meanwhile, their “splitting” has them claiming their opponents are child-eating pedophiles. Gee, I wonder what the difference is!

They make up lies to justify their hate. We can just look at what they say and do to justify ours.

And of course, purveyors of the empathy strategy fail to show us just one actual, historical example of when a a society was able to right itself by “empathizing” with an element like this. I’m pretty sure it’s either crackdown, or wait around until they get powerful enough to start cleansing their perceived enemies.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

BigglesSWE posted:

It’s a neat experiment (and we’ll never know how he actually looked so why the hell not) but iconographic history would likely not be very helpful at all. To my knowledge there are zero references to his appearance in the earliest known sources of his life, and I’d wager that the general appearances on display through Christian art has its ultimate origin from some Christian dude just making shot up, alternately, cribbing from some other source (I.e. taking the likeness of another person and attributing it to Jesus).

Sorry early Christian history is my ja

Also virtually every historian with any meaningful insight into the subject agrees that Jesus existed. As to the nature and particulars of that existent, there’s much debate, naturally.

Ever read Jesus Died in Kashmir? I remember my father recommending the book to me decades ago but I never got around to reading it.

E:

withak posted:

I feel like there had to have been a guy saying the kind of stuff Jesus is purported to have said around that time, but I think his supernatural abilities were probably exaggerated. Getting executed by Rome for running his mouth isn’t a stretch either.

Pretty sure Zoroaster and Jesus had a fuckton in common.

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Oct 2, 2021

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

BigglesSWE posted:

You forget the earliest letters of Paul, which, while after Jesus’ death, is almost certainly the earliest Christian writing in existence. Of note is the fact that in one of the indisputably “real” Pauline letters, he makes mention of personally meeting James, the brother of Christ, which the context makes clear is meant to be understood as his physical, real life brother from the same mother.

One could ofc argue that Paul is lying about it but James the brother of Christ appears in other sources so it is at least conceivable that there was a Jesus who had a brother named James.

No, I didn't forget about Paul, but he never met Jesus (except once after Jesus' death during an apparent hallucination), so his word is suspect. Also, Paul never talked much about Jesus' actual message, just that he was the messiah (not unlike Jack Chick!). Christians have just been polishing that turd since then.

Personally, I think Jesus probably existed, and preached some sort of eschatological doomsday nonsense. Paul took the ball and ran with it.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Batterypowered7 posted:

Ever read Jesus Died in Kashmir? I remember my father recommending the book to me decades ago but I never got around to reading it.

No I haven't! I just looked it up and it looks interesting indeed (though the basic idea is wholly unlikely).

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Rudy Giuliani admits under oath that he got some of his 'evidence' of alleged election fraud from social media

https://www.businessinsider.com/rudy-guiliani-says-he-got-election-fraud-evidence-from-facebook-2021-10

Rudy Giuliani admitted under oath that his "evidence" of voter fraud in the 2020 election came partly from social media and that he did not interview or fact-check his sources, reports say.

Donald Trump's former personal lawyer made the comments in a deposition on August 14 in relation to a defamation lawsuit brought by a former Dominion Voting Systems employee, Eric Coomer, first published by The Colorado Sun.

In the deposition, Giuliani admitted that he got some of his information about Coomer's alleged role in the election fraud from his social media posts but couldn't be sure if it was Facebook or another platform.

"Those social media posts get all one to me," Giuliani said.

When questioned about whether he saw any other evidence linking Coomer with election fraud, he responded, "Right now, I can't recall anything else that I laid eyes on."

The conspiracy theories about Coomer were sparked by accusations made by right-wing podcast host Joe Oltmann.

Oltmann claimed to have infiltrated an Antifa conference call in which someone who identified themselves as "Eric from Dominion" boasted about preventing Trump from winning the election, The New York Times reported. Oltmann offered no proof of his claims.

The podcast host then found Eric Coomer's Facebook profile, on which he supposedly had written anti-Trump messages.

Giuliani and other Trump allies seized upon Oltmann's allegations, repeating them in a now-infamous November 19 press conference.

" One of the Smartmatic patent holders, Eric Coomer, I believe his name is, is on the web as being recorded in a conversation with ANTIFA members saying that he had the election rigged for Mr. Biden," Giuliani said.

But according to court papers filed by Coomer's lawyers, Giuliani spent "virtually no time" investigating the claims.

The filings said that Giuliani did not speak to Oltmann about the claims and did not reach out to Coomer or Dominion about them.

Giuliani said he was too busy when asked why he repeated Oltmann's accusations without verifying them.

"It's not my job in a fast-moving case to go out and investigate every piece of evidence that's given to me," Giuliani said in the deposition, reported by MSNBC.

"Why wouldn't I believe him? I would have to have been a terrible lawyer… gee, let's go find out it's untrue. I didn't have the time to do that."

Megaspam
Mar 1, 2007

In this ever changing world in which we live in.

Nocheez posted:

I just received a book from her Imagination Library yesterday for my son. He absolutely *loves* getting them, and I think he's going to start reading before he's 4 in no small part due to Dolly Parton.

I'll cut a bitch for Dolly, but she'd never ask me to.

Every time I read The Hungry Caterpillar to my son, he always looks at the inside of the dust jacket, sees Dolly's picture, and shouts, "There's Dolly Parton!" :3:

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

The Last Call posted:

And here's a poo poo:

He also wrote a book!

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

trickybiscuits posted:

People with co-morbidities refusing to get the vaccine is amazing

Being over 50 is a co-morbidity.

"A small touch of heart disease" jfc

HE'S MISSING A LUNG

Also sharing this because I couldn't find one where someone was having people pray for her husband for the scarring in his lungs to heal and in the comments someone said "oh honey, the scarring IS the healing" and that just stuck with me. The guy had also been intubated for six weeks and he was almost certainly braindead.

I floated this in the old thread - what are the chances that these people are passively committing suicide because their coup failed? Any examples from history of supporters of a mass movement engaging in reckless or suicidal behavior em masse after a failed attempt to take power?

It’s fascinating.

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Castor Poe posted:

He also wrote a book!

How embarrassing.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

withak posted:

There were multiple prophets and messiahs around that time, and it’s likely that Jesus was an amalgamation of a few of them. Therefore - not real, but based on stories of other, real people, but with some miracles thrown in to spice things up.

Our society is being torn apart by lies told two thousand years ago. :lol:

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

haljordan posted:

This poo poo belongs in the Louvre:

I doubt he even knows what a minion is. He probably thought the kid was dressing up as a Tic-Tac to mock his whole perving on women thing and had to play it off instead of beating that kid up

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
His name was also joshua and not jesus but was mistranslated and the bad translation stuck.

Lucca Blight
Jun 2, 2009
Does anyone have that wall of text of every lovely thing Trump did?

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

goatface posted:

Jesus was always in masks so that people wouldn't melt when they looked at him.
You mean Muhammed, that's why nobody is allowed to draw him. Because nobody knew what he looked like

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
it's REALLY weird that the government shot the same woman in the throat that also cut off her husbands dick

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

It's like watching those rumors turn to legends on a playground.

"I once heard Billy managed to swing over the bar and teleported to a different dimension. It's true!"
Billy is right over there
"Well yeah, he managed to do the same in the other dimension and teleported back"

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

I still lol everyday that trump lost his twitter account and can't get it back

Imagine how less peaceful the world be if he had it still

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).
If anyone is interested in the history of early Christianity, I highly recommend Bart Ehrman's lectures from The Teaching Company. He's also authored a ton of books, and translated multiple volumes of early Christian writings.

Biblical scholarship is fascinating.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Fear posted:

it's REALLY weird that the government shot the same woman in the throat that also cut off her husbands dick

The saddest part is the sign still clearly said Duck Season

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.

The Fear posted:

It's really weird that the man responsible walks free

red19fire
May 26, 2010

‘How was I to know my Uncle at Nintendo was exaggerating?’ as a legal defense.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

The Last Call posted:

And here's a poo poo:

Don't know who the dude in the trenchcoat is, but to me he looks like he's trying his best to dress up like the Gestapo agents from the first Indiana Jones movie

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

I am suffering from a breakthrough covid case and just learned that I am in the top 5 posters in the last ‘lol’ thread.

Coincidence? Or a fitting karmic backlash?

Don’t be like me kids.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat

Outpost22 posted:

It's really weird that the man responsible walks free

I think he did some pornos

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

trickybiscuits posted:

You mean Muhammed, that's why nobody is allowed to draw him. Because nobody knew what he looked like

Here is a rare photo of Muhammad:

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

You Are A Elf posted:

New thread, who dis? RUMPT!!! :lol:

Content:

https://apnews.com/article/pat-robertson-700-club-steps-down-as-host-cf058279cc326ce21e089fef05357382

I remember that poo poo airing late at night on ABC Family (now Freeform) for years because when Disney bought the channel, there was a legal catch that The 700 Club had to continuously air nightly on the channel since it used to be CBN. I wonder if Disney can finally dump the show for good since he’s no longer going to host it.

Eat poo poo, Pat, either way.

i remember hating the 700 Club even as a kid, not for political/religious reasons, but cause it replaced the time slot for Heathcliff :argh: (this was even more before, when it was called Fox Family)

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
https://twitter.com/NikkiMcR/status/1444102763777044492

My numbers! I paid for those bots

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

The Fear posted:

No, that was Lauren A Bobbert, whose husband flashed his dick at some underage girls so she cut his dick off. And she didn't get shot in the throat she got shot in the chin and had to get a new one.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Xenocides posted:

I am suffering from a breakthrough covid case and just learned that I am in the top 5 posters in the last ‘lol’ thread.

Coincidence? Or a fitting karmic backlash?

Don’t be like me kids.

Yikes!

Get well soon, Xenocides.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Gutter Phoenix posted:

No, I didn't forget about Paul, but he never met Jesus (except once after Jesus' death during an apparent hallucination), so his word is suspect. Also, Paul never talked much about Jesus' actual message, just that he was the messiah (not unlike Jack Chick!). Christians have just been polishing that turd since then.

Personally, I think Jesus probably existed, and preached some sort of eschatological doomsday nonsense. Paul took the ball and ran with it.

some people have linked Jesus's teachings to things going on in that time and place. Someone demands your coat? Let him take your cloak as well, oops now he's broken Roman law or something. Render unto Caesar. If anybody knows specific books about this please share, I don't remember where I heard/read this.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

haljordan posted:

Trump putting the candy bar on that one kid's head and like, patting it is so loving fascinating to me. Like he really has no idea how to interact with ANYONE in any situation other than golf (where he just cheats his rear end off). Same thing with the umbrella outside of AF1. His manservant wasn't there to hold the umbrella for him and figuring out how to close it himself apparently was out of the question so he just dropped it on the ground.

This poo poo belongs in the Louvre:

Okay, that one is good, but this is by far the greatest of the Trick-or-Treat moments:

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Gutter Phoenix posted:

Here is a rare photo of Muhammad:

This got me to legit lol

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

Lucca Blight posted:

Does anyone have that wall of text of every lovely thing Trump did?

I owe my Trump-supporting friends an apology. I’ve been critical of the Trump presidency these last four years, and am still exhausted from the experience. But to be fair, President Trump wasn’t that bad, other than when he incited an insurrection against the government, mismanaged a pandemic that killed nearly half a million Americans, separated children from their families, lost those children in the bureaucracy, tear-gassed peaceful protesters on Lafayette Square so he could hold a photo op holding a Bible in front of a church, tried to block all Muslims from entering the country, got impeached, got impeached again, had the worst jobs record of any president in modern history, pressured Ukraine to dig dirt on Joe Biden, fired the FBI director for investigating his ties to Russia, bragged about firing the FBI director on TV, took Vladimir Putin’s word over the US intelligence community, diverted military funding to build his wall, caused the longest government shutdown in US history, called Black Lives Matter a “symbol of hate,” lied nearly 30,000 times, banned transgender people from serving in the military, ejected reporters from the White House briefing room who asked tough questions, vetoed the defense funding bill because it renamed military bases named for Confederate soldiers, refused to release his tax returns, increased the national debt by nearly $8 trillion, had three of the highest annual trade deficits in U.S. history, called veterans and soldiers who died in combat losers and suckers, coddled the leader of Saudi Arabia after he ordered the execution and dismembering of a US-based journalist, refused to concede the 2020 election, hired his unqualified daughter and son-in-law to work in the White House, walked out of an interview with Lesley Stahl, called neo-Nazis “very fine people,” suggested that people should inject bleach into their bodies to fight COVID, abandoned our allies the Kurds to Turkey, pushed through massive tax cuts for the wealthiest but balked at helping working Americans, incited anti-lockdown protestors in several states at the height of the pandemic, withdrew the US from the Paris climate accords, withdrew the US from the Iranian nuclear deal, withdrew the US from the Trans Pacific Partnership which was designed to block China’s advances, insulted his own Cabinet members on Twitter, pushed the leader of Montenegro out of the way during a photo op, failed to reiterate US commitment to defending NATO allies, called Haiti and African nations “shithole” countries, called the city of Baltimore the “worst in the nation,” claimed that he single handedly brought back the phrase “Merry Christmas” even though it hadn’t gone anywhere, forced his Cabinet members to praise him publicly like some cult leader believed he should be awarded the Nobel Peace Prize, berated and belittled his hand-picked Attorney General when he recused himself from the Russia probe, suggested the US should buy Greenland, colluded with Mitch McConnell to push through federal judges and two Supreme Court justices after supporting efforts to prevent his predecessor from appointing judges, repeatedly called the media “enemies of the people,” claimed that if we tested fewer people for COVID we’d have fewer cases, violated the emoluments clause, thought that Nambia was a country, told Bob Woodward in private that the coronavirus was a big deal but then downplayed it in public, called his exceedingly faithful vice president a “p---y” for following the Constitution, nearly got us into a war with Iran after threatening them by tweet, nominated a corrupt head of the EPA, nominated a corrupt head of HHS, nominated a corrupt head of the Interior Department, nominated a corrupt head of the USDA, praised dictators and authoritarians around the world while criticizing allies, refused to allow the presidential transition to begin, insulted war hero John McCain – even after his death, spent an obscene amount of time playing golf after criticizing Barack Obama for playing (far less) golf while president, falsely claimed that he won the 2016 popular vote, called the Muslim mayor of London a “stone cold loser,” falsely claimed that he turned down being Time’s Man of the Year, considered firing special counsel Robert Mueller on several occasions, mocked wearing face masks to guard against transmitting COVID, locked Congress out of its constitutional duty to confirm Cabinet officials by hiring acting ones, used a racist dog whistle by calling COVID the “China virus,” hired and associated with numerous shady figures that were eventually convicted of federal offenses including his campaign manager and national security adviser, pardoned several of his shady associates, gave the Presidential Medal of Freedom to two congressman who amplified his batshit crazy conspiracy theories, got into telephone fight with the leader of Australia(!), had a Secretary of State who called him a moron, forced his press secretary to claim without merit that his was the largest inauguration crowd in history, botched the COVID vaccine rollout, tweeted so much dangerous propaganda that Twitter eventually banned him, charged the Secret Service jacked-up rates at his properties, constantly interrupted Joe Biden in their first presidential debate, claimed that COVID would “magically” disappear, called a U.S. Senator “Pocahontas,” used his Twitter account to blast Nordstrom when it stopped selling Ivanka’s merchandise, opened up millions of pristine federal lands to development and drilling, got into a losing tariff war with China that forced US taxpayers to bail out farmers, claimed that his losing tariff war was a win for the US, ignored or didn’t even take part in daily intelligence briefings, blew off honoring American war dead in France because it was raining, redesigned Air Force One to look like the Trump Shuttle, got played by Kim Jung Un and his “love letters,” threatened to go after social media companies in clear violation of the Constitution, botched the response to Hurricane Maria in Puerto Rico, threw paper towels at Puerto Ricans when he finally visited them, pressured the governor and secretary of state of Georgia to “find” him votes, thought that the Virgin islands had a President, drew on a map with a Sharpie to justify his inaccurate tweet that Alabama was threatened by a hurricane, allowed White House staff to use personal email accounts for official businesses after blasting Hillary Clinton for doing the same thing, rolled back regulations that protected the public from mercury and asbestos, pushed regulators to waste time studying snake-oil remedies for COVID, rolled back regulations that stopped coal companies from dumping waste into rivers, held blatant campaign rallies at the White House, tried to take away millions of Americans’ health insurance because the law was named for a Black man, refused to attend his successors’ inauguration, nominated the worst Education Secretary in history, threatened judges who didn’t do what he wanted, attacked Dr. Anthony Fauci, promised that Mexico would pay for the wall (it didn’t), allowed political hacks to overrule government scientists on major reports on climate change and other issues, struggled navigating a ramp after claiming his opponent was feeble, called an African-American Congresswoman “low IQ,” threatened to withhold federal aid from states and cities with Democratic leaders, went ahead with rallies filled with maskless supporters in the middle of a pandemic, claimed that legitimate investigations of his wrongdoing were “witch hunts,” seemed to demonstrate a belief that there were airports during the American Revolution, demanded “total loyalty” from the FBI director, praised a conspiracy theory that Democrats are Satanic pedophiles, completely gutted the Voice of America, placed a political hack in charge of the Postal Service, claimed without evidence that the Obama administration bugged Trump Tower, suggested that the US should allow more people from places like Norway into the country, suggested that COVID wasn’t that bad because he recovered with the help of top government doctors and treatments not available to the public, overturned energy conservation standards that even industry supported, reduced the number of refugees the US accepts, insulted various members of Congress and the media with infantile nicknames, gave Rush Limbaugh a Presidential medal of Freedom at the State of the Union address, named as head of federal personnel a 29-year old who’d previously been fired from the White House for allegations of financial improprieties, eliminated the White House office of pandemic respon used soldiers as campaign props, fired any advisor who made the mistake of disagreeing with him, demanded the Pentagon throw him a Soviet-style military parade, hired a poo poo ton of white nationalists, politicized the civil service, did absolutely nothing after Russia hacked US, falsely said the Boy Scouts called him to say his bizarre Jamboree speech was the best speech ever given to the Scouts, claimed that Black people would overrun the suburbs if Biden won, insulted reporters of color, insulted women reporters, insulted women reporters of color, suggested he was fine with China’s oppression of the Uighurs, attacked the Supreme Court when it ruled against him, summoned Pennsylvania state legislative leaders to the White House to pressure them to overturn the election, spent countless hours every day watching Fox News, refused to allow his administration to comply with Congressional subpoenas, hired Rudy Giuliani as his lawyer, tried to punish Amazon because the Jeff Bezos-owned Washington Post wrote negative stories about him, acted as if the Attorney General of the United States was his personal attorney, attempted to get the federal government to defend him in a libel lawsuit from a women who accused him of sexual assault, held private meetings with Vladimir Putin without staff present, didn’t disclose his private meetings with Vladimir Putin so that the US had to find out via Russian media, stopped holding press briefings for months at a time, “ordered” US companies to leave China even though he has no such power, led a political party that couldn’t even be bothered to draft a policy platform, claimed preposterously that Article II of the Constitution gave him absolute powers, tried to pressure the U.K. to hold the British Open at his golf course, suggested that the government nuke hurricanes, suggested that wind turbines cause cancer, said that he had a special aptitude for science, fired the head of election cyber security after he said that the 2020 election was secure, blurted out classified information to Russian officials, tried to force the G7 to hold their meeting at his failing golf resort in Florida, fired the acting attorney general when she refused to go along with his unconstitutional Muslim travel ban, hired Stephen Miller, openly discussed national security issues in the dining room at Mar-a-Lago where everyone could hear them, interfered with plans to relocate the FBI because a new development there might compete with his hotel, abandoned Iraqi refugees who’d helped the U.S. during the war, tried to get Russia back into the G7, held a COVID super spreader event in the Rose Garden, seemed to believe that Frederick Douglass is still alive, lost 60 election fraud cases in court including before judges he had nominated, falsely claimed that factories were reopening when they weren’t, shamelessly exploited terror attacks in Europe to justify his anti-immigrant policies, still hasn’t come up with a healthcare plan, still hasn’t come up with an infrastructure plan despite repeated “Infrastructure", forced Secret Service agents to drive him around Walter Reed while contagious with COVID, told the Proud Boys to “stand back and stand by,” hosed up the Census, withdrew the U.S. from the World Health Organization in the middle of a pandemic, did so few of his duties that his press staff were forced to state on his daily schedule “President Trump will work from early in the morning until late in the evening. He will make many calls and have many meetings,” allowed his staff to repeatedly violate the Hatch Act, seemed not to know that Abraham Lincoln was a Republican, stood before sacred CIA wall of heroes and bragged about his election win, constantly claimed he was treated worse than any president which presumably includes four that were assassinated and his predecessor whose legitimacy and birthplace were challenged by a racist reality TV show star named Donald Trump, claimed Andrew Jackson could’ve stopped the Civil War even though he died 16 years before it happened, said that any opinion poll showing him behind was fake, claimed that other countries laughed at us before he became president when several world leaders were literally laughing at him, claimed that the military was out of ammunition before he became President, created a commission to whitewash American history, retweeted anti-Islam videos from one of the most racist people in Britain, claimed ludicrously that the Pulse nightclub shooting wouldn’t have happened if someone there had a gun even though there was an armed security guard there, hired a senior staffer who cited the non-existent Bowling Green Massacre as a reason to ban Muslims, had a press secretary who claimed that Nazi Germany never used chemical weapons even though every sane human being knows they used gas to kill millions of Jews and others, bilked the Secret Service for higher than market rates when they had to stay at Trump properties, apparently sold pardons on his way out of the White House, stripped protective status from 59,000 Haitians, falsely claimed Biden wanted to defund the police, said that the head of the CDC didn’t know what he was talking about, tried to rescind protection from DREAMers, gave himself an A+ for his handling of the pandemic, tried to start a boycott of Goodyear tires due to an Internet hoax, said U.S. rates of COVID would be lower if you didn’t count blue states, deported U.S. veterans who served their country but were undocumented, claimed he did more for African Americans than any president since Lincoln, touted a “super-duper” secret “hydrosonic” missile which may or may not be a new “hypersonic” missile or may not exist at all, retweeted a gif calling Biden a pedophile, forced through security clearances for his family, suggested that police officers should rough up suspects, suggested that Biden was on performance-enhancing drugs, tried to stop transgender students from being able to use school bathrooms in line with their gender, suggested the US not accept COVID patients from a cruise ship because it would make US numbers look higher, nominated a climate change sceptic to chair the committee advising the White House on environmental policy, retweeted a video doctored to look like Biden had played a song called “gently caress tha Police” at a campaign event, hugged a disturbingly large number of U.S. flags, accused Democrats of “treason” for not applauding his State of the Union address, claimed that the FBI failed to capture the Parkland school shooter because they were “spending too much time” on Russia, mocked the testimony of Dr Christine Blasey Ford when she accused Brett Kavanaugh of sexual assault, obsessed over low-flow toilets, ordered the rerelease of more COVID vaccines when there weren’t any to release, called for the construction of a bizarre garden of heroes with statutes of famous dead Americans as well as at least one Canadian (Alex Trebek), hijacked Washington’s July 4th celebrations to give a partisan speech, took advice from the MyPillow guy, claimed that migrants seeking a better life in the US were dangerous caravans of drug dealers and rapists, said nothing when Vladimir Putin poisoned a leading opposition, never seemed to heed the advice of his wife’s “Be Best” campaign, falsely claimed that mail-in voting is fraudulent, announced a precipitous withdrawal of troops from Syria which not only handed Russia and ISIS a win but also prompted his defense secretary to resign in protest, insulted the leader of Canada, insulted the leader of France, insulted the leader of Britain, insulted the leader of Germany, insulted the leader of Sweden (Sweden!!), falsely claimed credit for getting NATO members to increase their share of dues, blew off two Asia summits even though they were held virtually, continued lying about spending lots of time at Ground Zero with 9/11 responders, said that the Japanese would sit back and watch their “Sony televisions” if the US were ever attacked, left a NATO summit early in a huff, stared directly into an eclipse even though everyone over the age of 5 knows not to do that, called himself a very stable genius despite significant evidence to the contrary, refused to commit to a peaceful transfer of power and kept his promise, and a whole bunch of other things I can’t remember at the moment.
But other than that...

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The Last Call posted:

CEOs are at their wits’ end — they don’t know how to get their employees back in

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/10/01/ceos-are-at-their-wits-ends-dont-know-how-to-get-employees-back-in.html

CEOs are at their wits’ end to figure out how to get their employees back into the office as high levels of Covid infections persist 18 months into the pandemic. That’s the sentiment shared by CNBC’s David Faber and Jim Cramer, who regularly speak with business leaders about return-to-work challenges.

“I continue to hear a litany of frustration from those who run large organizations in terms of their inability to get people back in the office,” Faber said Friday in an exchange with his “Squawk on the Street” co-host Cramer. “I had a lunch and a dinner last night,” Faber said. “It’s just a never-ending theme. Some of these CEOs are at their wits’ end as how they deal with it. ‘How do I get people back in.’”

Cramer said possible approval of a new Covid antiviral pill from Merck and Ridgeback Biotherapeutics could be the “game changer we’ve been looking for” to get people who are worried about getting sick at work less fearful to go into the office. Pfizer and Swiss pharmaceutical Roche are also racing to develop Covid drugs.

“A lot of the times when you speak with companies that are involved in the supply chain, the issue is absenteeism,” Cramer said. “People are scared. Maybe if this makes it so you’re less scared, you’re going to show up to work.”

Corporate America has been grappling, in fits and starts as cases fluctuate, with how to safely bring their employees back to work and whether to impose vaccine mandates.

On Friday, PwC announced it will allow all U.S. employees, nearly 40,000 of them, who can telework the ability to work virtually from anywhere in the continental United States moving forward.
Many big technology names including Apple, Amazon, Alphabet’s Google, Facebook and Microsoft have postponed their return-to-work plans.
Salesforce co-founder and CEO Marc Benioff said Tuesday, “We’re not all going back” to the office. CEOs of large companies call him and say they want their employees to return to the office, Benioff said, in an on-stage interview at the Code Conference in Beverly Hills, California. Benioff previously told CNBC he expects 50% to 60% of Salesforce employees to work from home even after the pandemic.
Wall Street financial firms have largely recalled their office workers, with many of them on hybrid schedules. Goldman Sachs is also requiring employees to be vaccinated in order to return to offices, following similar edicts from Morgan Stanley and Citigroup.

The jog situation has truly changed much to the shock of businesses.

This is a huge opportunity you loving morons, you can massively reduce annual infrastructure expenses and discretely push them all unto employees who have to rent their own workspace and clean their own toilets. These CEOs should be giddy at the millions of dollars that they personally could reap from this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

EmbryoSteve posted:

I still lol everyday that trump lost his twitter account and can't get it back

Imagine how less peaceful the world be if he had it still

I’m pretty sure Twitter’s defense is going to be, “After 1/6, we have a legitimate reason to believe that he would use our platform to incite violence.” Which is 100% true and a legit defense.