Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

AlexDeGruven posted:

Make sure you update to the latest BIOS, as well. My gigabyte board was on a 2017 release and the TPM menus were different after the 2020 update.

I was about to but when I switched to my BIOS to see what version I have (4.1 when 4.4 is on website) I decided to dig around a little and a submenu under security I found a Trusted Platform toggle which I switched to Enable. I previously had toggled a Security device option to Enable and thought that should have been it.
And that seems to have enabled TPM 2.0 so I am all clear for Win11.

Thanks for recommending that or I may not have gone digging.
My computer was bought from CyberPowerPc which had closed their forums and uses Reddit only now.
And had not replied to my request for help.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Sep 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

AlexDeGruven posted:

Well, drat. My Ryzen 1700 doesn't meet the requirements for the pre-release. Weak.

Edit: Both windows update and the health-check tool report the same thing, though the TPM thing is only yellow, the CPU is red. And I don't have a pressing need to update my hardware until GPUs get back to not-insane pricing, so I guess I'll stick to 10 for now.

I'm in the exact same boat, right down to the same processor. Not upgrading anything until I can get a GPU at a "normal" price to replace my RX580.

I upgraded to both Windows 8 and 10 right away because I can take the early snags and like being on the latest version of anything, but won't be doing that with Windows 11 because I have a first gen Ryzen. Oh well

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

OgNar posted:

Was just checking and my PC seems to pass, except for TPM.
Have looked through the bios but couldnt find any options to enable it.
I assume my prebuilt took a few shortcuts to save a few dollars.

You can most likely enable a CPU based feature in the BIOS that would take care of the TPM requirements for Windows 10.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Windo...p.548267.0.html

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I'm in the exact same boat, right down to the same processor. Not upgrading anything until I can get a GPU at a "normal" price to replace my RX580.

I upgraded to both Windows 8 and 10 right away because I can take the early snags and like being on the latest version of anything, but won't be doing that with Windows 11 because I have a first gen Ryzen. Oh well

Look at you with your modern gpu and poo poo.

*Looks at his R9 380 that's somehow, thankfully, still holding on*

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
If you want to know exactly where your hardware falls down on Win11 requirements MS have released a Powershell script (direct link) and are working on an Intune/Endpoint plugin for Corporate environments (which is likely just that script reporting back to Endpoint). Note that my Win11 Insider Preview rig runs 11 fine for now but also fails the script with an outdated processor (i5 3570k) so not sure if when it comes to RTM they keep me on preview builds or dump me back to 10

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

If you're running a recent spin of Windows 10 you can turn on all the security doodads that Windows 11 requires, which I would think would be a good indicator of the machine also being able to run Windows 11. I went through this week and turned on all the enhanced security stuff on my work laptop, and it just took manually removing some old drivers which were blocking the memory isolation feature.

My personal desktop would definitely run it, but I don't have all the extra security turned on because I would have to do some minor work to make my Linux install use secure boot properly and :effort: (the Nvidia drivers won't load unless I mess with the keys, leaving me with crap video output).

This was largely a theoretical exercise for me since I feel no reason to go to Windows 11, especially if they haven't fixed the taskbar yet.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Not sure if this has come up, but apparently there's an easy way to make the start button and open program icons left-aligned.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Doccykins posted:

so not sure if when it comes to RTM they keep me on preview builds or dump me back to 10
They said it will stop updating and you will stay at whatever build was last released. Going back to 10 will require reinstall.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

hooah posted:

Not sure if this has come up, but apparently there's an easy way to make the start button and open program icons left-aligned.

If I have to do a registry edit to have small taskbar icons then I don't consider it fixed.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

CaptainSarcastic posted:

If I have to do a registry edit to have small taskbar icons then I don't consider it fixed.

I'd agree, but that's not what I was talking about at all.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
If you change the registry for small icons, then the spacing looks bad and there tray has icons that are misaligned which is even worse than medium icons, I don't get the loss of this functionality. Additionally I don't like the spacing right now with medium, I wish I could change that as well.

Other weird things, I love how each new window release adds a new looks to windows, but that means we also have windows left over from the previous windows that for some reason they didn't change, so we have dialogues from several different windows versions.

Stuff like network information is so many clicks now, why. Audio source change also has additional clicks and some weird dialogue of things completely unrelated. There are some good new things, but overall I am asking myself why I lost so much functionality from windows 10, it's like a new theme that maybe is a bit snappier in some places, but making new dialogues so you have to dig down even deeper for basic functionality. Not even getting in to the start button since I don't really use it anyway.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Rusty posted:

Other weird things, I love how each new window release adds a new looks to windows, but that means we also have windows left over from the previous windows that for some reason they didn't change, so we have dialogues from several different windows versions.

Even in 10 there's random windows that don't support the dark theme. It's incomprehensible to me because it means they went out of their east to use non standard window decorations.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

For some reason my Microsoft Bluetooth Mouse just loving drops every few minutes since upgrading to 2200.194 on my laptop. It persists even after a flatten and reinstall. The gently caress, man.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

For some reason my Microsoft Bluetooth Mouse just loving drops every few minutes since upgrading to 2200.194 on my laptop. It persists even after a flatten and reinstall. The gently caress, man.

Do you have it plugged into a USB 3.0 port? I know the Xbox Bluetooth dongle has issues kinda like that when plugged into those port types.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Zil posted:

Do you have it plugged into a USB 3.0 port? I know the Xbox Bluetooth dongle has issues kinda like that when plugged into those port types.

Nope, using the internal bluetooth radio on my laptop

EDIT: I should clarify it never did this on 10

Rev. Bleech_ fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Sep 30, 2021

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Is there an updated driver for your onboard radio? I know Intel released one a few days ago.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Zil posted:

Is there an updated driver for your onboard radio? I know Intel released one a few days ago.

the Lenovo site had one, but installing it (and the newest BIOS update and all other updated 11-certified drivers) made no difference. Gonna try it out with an older HP bluetooth mouse when I find it to see if it's the radio or the mouse itself.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Which dumb rear end in a top hat decided to completely remove the option to display taskbar labels!? Christ this sucks

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

my kinda ape posted:

Which dumb rear end in a top hat decided to completely remove the option to display taskbar labels!? Christ this sucks

This is one of those things that makes me wish they'd do more than once yearly upgrades to begin with. They'll maybe add functionality back to the taskbar but it's my understanding that there will only be bug fixes and security updates the first year?

I might actually buy Start11, because they've eviscerated the taskbar for simple things. Didn't seem like a huge deal to me until I flattened and reinstalled 11 and bit by work I couldn't so the simplest things the way I have done for over 2 decades.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
they do seem to have nix'd any functionality regarding the taskbar entirely. The other day I was trying to attach one email to another and found that I couldn't drag the mail-to-be-attached and hover over the Outlook icon to bring up the mail I wanted to attach it to

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Oof, yeah, I've just tried that myself and it does nothing now. That's pretty bad.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Wifi stopped working. I'm out, that's what I have Linux for.

I think Win 11 will be nicer than 10 on the Steam Deck, Touch-Input devices under 9" lacking a traditional mouse+keyboard, or mythical devices with more than one touch screen.

For everything else, gently caress the current Windows 11. Maybe the Android thing will be nice for app developers, and maybe over time everything missing from 10 will get folded into updates or 3rd party apps. It has the makings of a better OS and could very well get there by 2026.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Oct 1, 2021

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
The one thing that makes me stick with 11 is the windows positioning staying when I switch monitors, it's really nice to have even though it sounds like something that should have worked for years. It's not perfect, but it's good enough. It's also faster than windows 10 for daily use so far.

Edit: I really miss the second hand on the clock, what a weird thing to remove.

Rusty fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Oct 1, 2021

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Doccykins posted:

they do seem to have nix'd any functionality regarding the taskbar entirely. The other day I was trying to attach one email to another and found that I couldn't drag the mail-to-be-attached and hover over the Outlook icon to bring up the mail I wanted to attach it to

What the gently caress? Is that for all windows / apps?

Like, if you have a fullscreen browser and an explorer window behind it, and you try to drag and drop a link or image over to the explorer icon on the taskbar to pull it up to the front, does that not work? Holy poo poo that is insane if true, that is functionality that goes all the want back to 95.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

the Lenovo site had one, but installing it (and the newest BIOS update and all other updated 11-certified drivers) made no difference. Gonna try it out with an older HP bluetooth mouse when I find it to see if it's the radio or the mouse itself.

Welp, problem fixed: getting rid of the Windows 11 driver and using the old Win10 driver for my bluetooth radio fixed it :v:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I know it might be conspiracy theory adjacent, but the idea that Microsoft was planning a surge in revenue from 10X and slapped 11 together to try to salvage some of that revenue makes a great deal of sense.

What I have learned of Windows 11 so far has been bad enough I haven't even bothered to try it in a VM, much less consider installing it.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Heran Bago posted:

Wifi stopped working. I'm out, that's what I have Linux for.

I think Win 11 will be nicer than 10 on the Steam Deck, Touch-Input devices under 9" lacking a traditional mouse+keyboard, or mythical devices with more than one touch screen.

For everything else, gently caress the current Windows 11. Maybe the Android thing will be nice for app developers, and maybe over time everything missing from 10 will get folded into updates or 3rd party apps. It has the makings of a better OS and could very well get there by 2026.

I thought the Steam Deck is only going to run a modified Arch distro?

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

cage-free egghead posted:

Out of the box, sure. You can install whatever on it though.
https://partner.steamgames.com/doc/steamdeck/faq

I haven't seen any official confirmation that Win 11 will work on it.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

cage-free egghead posted:

It's a pc. You can put anything you want on it. I bet within first week it will be running Macos.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Windows 11: Making you run MacOS on a Steam Deck

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
TempleOS only. God said anything more than 640x480@16 is a sin :eng101:

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
gently caress, the new task bar is bad

This brings back the Win 10 taskbar:

https://github.com/valinet/ExplorerPatcher

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Can we position it on the side yet or are they still loving up the primary benefit of widescreen aspect ratios?

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Nam Taf posted:

Can we position it on the side yet or are they still loving up the primary benefit of widescreen aspect ratios?

Sir. Why would you want to touch the side of your tablet and/or other mobile device? Isn't touching the bottom center more intuitive? I don't think I understand your use case...

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Oct 3, 2021

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Sir. Why would you want to touch the side of your tablet and/or other mobile device? Isn't touching the bottom center more intuitive? I don't think I understand your use case...

Two things, one I hate that I know what your av is from. Two I also hate the fact that you are probably right.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

It's loving stupid that I had to download rainmeter and set that up just to get a clock on my second monitor. Oh well, at least it works now.

Wiltsghost fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Oct 3, 2021

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

There's a name I haven't heard in a long drat time. Somewhat surprised it's still around. Is it actually still being updated?

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

hooah posted:

There's a name I haven't heard in a long drat time. Somewhat surprised it's still around. Is it actually still being updated?

I guess so. I've never used it before but I can't deal with not having a clock on all taskbars. Really my only complaint so far with Win 11 although I haven't been using it long. Found it on the Win 11 subreddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows11/comments/pmqvbb/use_this_in_combination_with_rainmeter_to_get_a/

e: you have to download the rainmeter skin from deviantart too lol

Wiltsghost fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Oct 3, 2021

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
Will Windows 11 have Paint

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

NotNut posted:

Will Windows 11 have Paint

Will it ever!
https://twitter.com/panos_panay/sta...ows-insiders%2F