Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Zero_Grade posted:

Both very fun dumb movies, but The Rock has Sean Connery.

This is controversial but I gotta go with John Malkovich on this one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Morpheus posted:

Then there's London Has Fallen in which the terrorist organization is the greatest undercover agency in the world, having infiltrated not only like every aspect of the police force, but also the Queen's guard as well as even emergency personnel. And they've reached all these positions in two years.

London Has Fallen had an insider working with them as well - a very minor character that gets offed in a garage at the rear end end of the movie, but he gives them access to the surveillance network.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
London Has Fallen is practically a hate crime.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

DarkDobe posted:

For some reason I have been binging the 'Secret Service Guy Saves President'/'Bodyguard takes on an army' movies and firstly: holy poo poo there are a lot of these!
But also a mild peeve: every single one of these movies hinges on the evil plot against the white house/london/billionaire having an inside man at work. Like its unfathomable that security could be breached without someone working from within.
Makes it a game trying to guess which one of the three extra characters introduced at the start will be the traitor.
In the end my action movie itch is mildly scratched but I have yet to meet tue schlocky dumb movie that tops The Rock.

The best part is how the insider often makes a lot of the rest of the bad guys actions completely redundant. Like, Olympus Has Fallen starts with a massive frontal attack on the White House, but then it turns out that their plan hinges on having insiders take the president hostage in his bunker and telling the army to back off. There was no need to actually attack the White House at all. All they had to do was cause enough of a ruckus for the president to be taken to the bunker, and then they could just tell everyone else to leave.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Just once I would like to see one of those "head of state is under attack" movies resolve by them just going "ok shoot the guy, we can just elect another one, idiot"

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I mean, the idea this would happen and 50% of the population wouldn’t start immediately wildly celebrating in the streets is pretty irritating.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

OwlFancier posted:

Just once I would like to see one of those "head of state is under attack" movies resolve by them just going "ok shoot the guy, we can just elect another one, idiot"

Might put people off the job if they know there won't even be a token attempt to rescue them. Actually, I'm not sure that that's a bad thing. Maybe no-one should want to be head of state?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The Ideal system of governance is one where the only way to become head of state is to murder the current one.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Torquemada posted:

I mean, the idea this would happen and 50% of the population wouldn’t start immediately wildly celebrating in the streets is pretty irritating.
If real life is any indication, a good chunk of the US population would be supporting the people attacking the White House, yeah.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Angrymog posted:

Might put people off the job if they know there won't even be a token attempt to rescue them. Actually, I'm not sure that that's a bad thing. Maybe no-one should want to be head of state?

Absolutely yes, no one who wants to do that job should ever be elected to it.

Unfortunately, that's where we're up to.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I'm around 10 minutes into Many Saints of Newark and I just have one question: was their lighting budget like 10 dollars? Did the same guy who directed that one night battle episode of game of thrones do this one? It's like watching a movie while having a stocking or something over my head.

e: maybe i'm not giving it a fair chance but I think this movie might just suck

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 00:07 on Oct 2, 2021

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I'm around 10 minutes into Many Saints of Newark and I just have one question: was their lighting budget like 10 dollars? Did the same guy who directed that one night battle episode of game of thrones do this one? It's like watching a movie while having a stocking or something over my head.

Christopher Tellefsen was the editor for both MSoN and the 2016 assassin's creed movie, and both of them were ridiculously dark and sucked

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

That Italian Guy posted:

If real life is any indication, a good chunk of the US population would be supporting the people attacking the White House, yeah.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I'm planning to check this out tonight or tomorrow but this reminded me of a meta-IIMM: all these directors whining and bitching that their movies are going to simultaneous theater + streaming releases. gently caress off dickheads, there's a pandemic literally killing people maybe folks would like to see the movie somewhere safe. I dunno though, maybe your artistic vision is worth getting intubated for, who can really say

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

It's because they are getting screwed by hollywood accounting

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I saw ScarJo and Disney settled her suit, I automatically assume any time that happens they would really rather just pay to make it go away than run the risk of any of their "accounting" methods coming out in discovery.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I didn't love the movie, but it irritates me how the advertisers portrayed "cry macho" in the commercials. When I saw the commercials, it looked incredibly dumb and unwatchable. The stupid name didn't help it I guess, but when I saw the commercial I thought "well i'll never watch that". But then I saw the post here saying that directors are mad about these hbo max screenings so I watched it figuring well at least I can make them upset about it, but I ended up not hating it.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Apparently Eastwood's been trying to make Cry Macho for over 10 years (he had the script written ages ago) but it was only recently he got it to the finish line.

To play advocate for directors whining about simultaneous theater/streaming releases, I kind of get their argument. At home it'a way too easy for me to get distracted by other poo poo going around, and some movies benefit from the big screen spectacle overwhelming your visual senses. I saw Tenet in the theaters and I believe it's one of the main reasons I enjoyed it; meanwhile I only caught Godzilla Vs. Kong on a stream and I lamented not seeing it in a theater.

Either way I don't begrudge studios doing simultaneous releases, but I do think people making the films should be compensated correctly due to this & directors can be a lot more diplomatic in voicing their preference on how viewers experience their art.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Directors are, to a man, whiny little babies who have less impact on how a movie turns out than the catering staff

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Memento posted:

I saw ScarJo and Disney settled her suit, I automatically assume any time that happens they would really rather just pay to make it go away than run the risk of any of their "accounting" methods coming out in discovery.

Disney's main argument against Scarjo was shaming her for not being more socially conscious about the pandemic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMzHfSIl2Kc

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Totally stupid, but in that crappy CGI The Lorax, why the gently caress was the dude chopping down all the trees instead of just harvesting the loving leaves he needed?

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Because he's a metaphor for capitalism

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Cowslips Warren posted:

Totally stupid, but in that crappy CGI The Lorax, why the gently caress was the dude chopping down all the trees instead of just harvesting the loving leaves he needed?

Because he doesn’t speak for the trees

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Crowetron posted:

Because he's a metaphor for capitalism

And if anything a far too generous one.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Cowslips Warren posted:

It's faster and easier, and therefore guarantees a greater profit.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I’m from Buenos Aires and I say let it grow!

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Escape Room: Tournament of Champions:

Just like the first one, this isn't even a good variant of the escape room horror movie. None of the puzzles make actual sense, but somehow the heroes stumble on the answer at the last second every time. There's no logic to how they figure stuff out, it's just shouting over each other until the camera guides them to the answer, then more screaming as they race to the exit etc.

I know the obvious explanation for all the magic poo poo going on is going to be some lame "it's purgatory/hell" twist, but I'm irrationally hoping (knowing that they won't) they go for a more creative explanation...as long as they actually reveal it instead of teasing another sequel.

e: I guess they're sticking to the "it's real" story. No explanation on how they made outdoor rooms indoors or how these impossible traps were built - just a handwavy "mysterious rich cabal did it" and a laughably dumb cliffhanger ending.

I need to find better things to spend my 20 dollars on.

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 19:44 on Oct 2, 2021

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

The Call: I'm upset they baited me into a horror movie with Lin Shaye and she's only in it for like the first 5 minutes. I didn't like Saw but they got the jigsaw guy to be her husband, and he also had maybe 5 minutes of screentime. I don't blame them not wanting to have a bigger role in such a dumb movie, but still.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The Call was good until the last third where Halle Berry completely goes awol and loses the professionalism. The whole "Thriller from the perspective of a 911 operator" was a neat concept that the ending squanders.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

BioEnchanted posted:

The Call was good until the last third where Halle Berry completely goes awol and loses the professionalism. The whole "Thriller from the perspective of a 911 operator" was a neat concept that the ending squanders.

no not that one, the 2020 one where Lin Shaye brings the kids who harassed her for years to hell through the telephone.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Why do sci-fi series always show critically damaged space ships sinking down as if they were boats?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Angrymog posted:

Why do sci-fi series always show critically damaged space ships sinking down as if they were boats?

It makes as much sense as anything else about spaceships in sci-fi that's not 2001 or The Martian.

Reminded of how DS9 occasionally features an abandoned Cardassian starbase called Empok Nor made from the same blueprints as the titular one, so they can conveniently reuse the sets, and in establishing shots it's always shown to be at an angle compared to Terok Nor/Deep Space Nine, since they use the same model.

Ghost Leviathan has a new favorite as of 08:05 on Oct 3, 2021

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Angrymog posted:

Dude they're ships. That's what ships do when destroyed.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Wasabi the J posted:

Dude they're ships. That's what ships do when destroyed.

I wanted to link the scene in Star Wars where the Executor loses control and impacts the Death Star (2)

And the one in Battlestar Galactica when the battlestar gets nuked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwsK-dJ1drs&t=286s

Loss of helm control is a real thing though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAmZ_HbVvzM

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
The Death Star, Endor, and whatever Endor was orbiting all have gravity for the SSD Executor to be pulled in by.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Beachcomber posted:

The Death Star, Endor, and whatever Endor was orbiting all have gravity for the SSD Executor to be pulled in by.

Executor wasn't orbiting the Death Star, either. Like yeah spaceships listing and sinking off the plane is visual language but this particular one isn't really an issue.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Space isn'T real the sky is a big dome held up by a guy

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

FreudianSlippers posted:

Space isn'T real the sky is a big dome held up by a guy

are you making up a guy just to get mad at movies

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I assume when the A wing crashed into the bridge the guy driving it died and his foot went on the accelerator and it just went off into the death star.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

OwlFancier posted:

I assume when the A wing crashed into the bridge the guy driving it died and his foot went on the accelerator and it just went off into the death star.

That sounds right.

Also the sound effects people just went ham with it.