Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I've seen those eyes somewhere but I can't place it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The shoulders look REALLY familiar but I just can't place them.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Honestly it looks like how a mook from Fist of the North Star would customize the Aussenseiter.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Ethiser posted:

I can’t either. If it’s not some original creation it’s too hard to tell what part is the original design and what has been added, while the other two have obvious GP02 and F91 parts.

The second one is clearly victory 2 though

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Droyer posted:

The second one is clearly victory 2 though

Nah. F91. There's also the torso's... rib thingies there, and the back are clearly the VSBRs (albeit upside-down) and not the Wings of Light.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

The shoulders look REALLY familiar but I just can't place them.

They kind of look like the Aussenseiter’s from SRW.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Argas posted:

Nah. F91. There's also the torso's... rib thingies there, and the back are clearly the VSBRs (albeit upside-down) and not the Wings of Light.

drat you're right. I'm gonna blame phone posting

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Droyer posted:

drat you're right. I'm gonna blame phone posting

I thought you were supposed to blame it on the misfortune of your birth.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

chiasaur11 posted:

I thought you were supposed to blame it on the misfortune of your birth.

Blame yourself or god. Wait, poo poo, wrong franchise

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ethiser posted:

They kind of look like the Aussenseiter’s from SRW.

Oh yeah you are right. That is what I was thinking of.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
So I have like... a ton of Gundam shows, seasons, and movies on a hard drive but my only exposure to the series is Gundam Wing and maybe a few characters or gundams from other times that I effectively know nothing about. I've been tempted to go through all of it in release order and chronicling the experience. Only question is: here or a new thread specifically for it?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Jobbo_Fett posted:

So I have like... a ton of Gundam shows, seasons, and movies on a hard drive but my only exposure to the series is Gundam Wing and maybe a few characters or gundams from other times that I effectively know nothing about. I've been tempted to go through all of it in release order and chronicling the experience. Only question is: here or a new thread specifically for it?

Here works.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
you wouldn't be the first

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Jobbo_Fett posted:

:justpost:

This thread loves seeing new people reactions. Most of the regulars are old and groggy and are pretty set in our opinions so it's always cute to watch a new poster discover Kira's whale song for the first time.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

new viewers are good, enjoy and share with us your wild ride through Tomino's mind

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
This is going to suck when i try to catalogue all the diff gundams and tanks and mechs and characters isnt it?
:sigh:

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I’m starting ZZ now, just finished episode 0 which was actually the best explanation of how the UC universe works they’ve had so far. Not sure if I’m in the right form anymore, since this isn’t anime.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Jobbo_Fett posted:

This is going to suck when i try to catalogue all the diff gundams and tanks and mechs and characters isnt it?

just develop an addiction to Adderall

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Stairmaster posted:

just develop an addiction to Adderall

Can i do both?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Can i do both?

one is a prerequisite for the other

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Pervitin seems more on brand for jobbo

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Gaius Marius posted:

Pervitin seems more on brand for jobbo

In that it helped kill nazis or... ?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Jobbo_Fett posted:

MAHQ has the mechs and tanks catalogued, so that's half the job done already.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

chiasaur11 posted:

MAHQ has the mechs and tanks catalogued, so that's half the job done already.

I don't know what that is :(

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I don't know what that is :(

https://www.mahq.net/

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Neat, thanks :)

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://twitter.com/gundamcel/status/1445466742222848000?s=20

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Neat, thanks :)

Fair warning, the Technical and Historical Notes section of the mech profiles will have some spoiler stuff in them, so don't scroll to far on some of them.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

fartknocker posted:

Fair warning, the Technical and Historical Notes section of the mech profiles will have some spoiler stuff in them, so don't scroll to far on some of them.

Oh I bookmarked it so I can go to it whenever I see something weird or unexplained.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

"Hey baby. Want to be like a mother to me?"

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
#0001 - Gundam Rising [Aka This dumb project begins]

Rules of the watch:
Can't watch intro crawl
No watching the "Next Time On..."

This is mostly a stream-of-consciousness type thing so apologies in advance...

Love me some quiet drifting into space scenes. Not sure how they wouldn't have a sensor for every entrance but I bet Slander has things figured out. Pre-B8 is the better droid. Why... why is Amuro's friend called Fraubo? How the hell is this Gundam designer only a Lieutenant? That better be a navy rank. I can tell who's evil based on who has little capes. Wow, these proto-gundams suck rear end, but god drat how can you not like Bren/DP-27 mashup?

In fairness to Amuro, I'd also stop in a warzone to read a technical manual for a tank/combat robot. I'm having a hard time believing this is a kid's show when Fraubo's entire family is immediately killed. Fraubo getting slapped is a sure sign of the times... Amuro is Canadian, based on his Denim Tuxedo. They really make Zakus look cool, and the Mobile Suit even cooler, immediately. Amuro gets a X-Wing targeting computer, cool.

:rip: Gene. Also holy poo poo engine failures are crazy.

"If that thing blows up, all the air in Site 7 will get sucked out" After blowing a huge hole in Site 7...

:rip: Chief Denim

What a crap cliffhanger ending.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Jobbo_Fett posted:

In that it helped kill nazis or... ?

In that I got you mixed up with Ensign Expendable when you started talking about making lists

Also Fraw Bow, the names only get better from here

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Gaius Marius posted:

In that I got you mixed up with Ensign Expendable when you started talking about making lists

Also Fraw Bow, the names only get better from here

I think he's better at making lists than I am, but I'm also pretty sure we're both leftists and possibly communists, and almost certainly anti-fascist :shrug:

Also, re:names, I am willing to assume that Slander(Slender?), Gene(Jean?), and Denim are all callsigns. (Slender Denim Jeans!) Same goes for Char.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah, but also the kinda people who know enough dumb WWII trivia to know what Pervitin is.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
No those are their actual names, Slender, Denim and Jean. Gundam's insano names make Dragon Ball's name puns seem quaint.

Funny you say Amuro is Canadian, because he technically is in some versions. And since the original Gundam show was dubbed by Ocean, it has a very Canadian English cast.

I dont know how you're watching this without the opening crawl and next episode previews. You miss out on more awesome narrator guy.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Oct 6, 2021

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I think he's better at making lists than I am, but I'm also pretty sure we're both leftists and possibly communists, and almost certainly anti-fascist :shrug:

Also, re:names, I am willing to assume that Slander(Slender?), Gene(Jean?), and Denim are all callsigns. (Slender Denim Jeans!) Same goes for Char.

Nope, those are their actual names. They are literally called "the jeans trio" in a couple of places.

For what it's worth the Zaku comes from the Japanese word "Zako" (Smallfry, mook), and Gundam I've heard apocryphally is "A weapon (gun) that can hold back a war (dam)", and some of the characters have sensible or coherent names or naming schemes, but after a point? The director said in an interview recently he started giving everything incredibly stupid names to thumb his nose at the network because they clearly did not care and were not actually paying attention to what he was making so just started screwing around with the nomenclature. Slender, Jean, and Denim are not gundam's dumbest names, not even close.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I was kinda hoping to see his slowly dawning realization that the names in gundam are truly that dumb

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I think watching the opening crawl once is alright, it does a proper setup of the situation.

Also, if you like podcasts, the extremely good Mobile Suit Breakdown podcast goes through the current events in Japan and the world when the anime was first made, and does deep dives into various topics related to stuff in the episode, by an episode-by-episode basis. They also have a strict no-spoiler policy, don't watch the next episode previews and are watching the series in chronological release order too, so I think they're a pretty good accompaniment to the show.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Omnicrom posted:

Nope, those are their actual names. They are literally called "the jeans trio" in a couple of places.

For what it's worth the Zaku comes from the Japanese word "Zako" (Smallfry, mook), and Gundam I've heard apocryphally is "A weapon (gun) that can hold back a war (dam)", and some of the characters have sensible or coherent names or naming schemes, but after a point? The director said in an interview recently he started giving everything incredibly stupid names to thumb his nose at the network because they clearly did not care and were not actually paying attention to what he was making so just started screwing around with the nomenclature. Slender, Jean, and Denim are not gundam's dumbest names, not even close.

I mean, long exposure has reduced the impact, but "Bright Noa" for the captain of a ship nicknamed the Ark is pretty dang on the nose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Bright Noa is infuriating to me because Noah Bright is an actual name.