Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmCssEI2fBo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Junk posted:

its interesting to see how the average goon's tastes for edgy animated adult cartoons has pivoted so much. is it just a natural shift in taste as we're all growing older, or has the intense politicization of everything on the internet put us more on-guard with what kinds of jokes and ideas we allow ourselves to be exposed to?

Part of it is not being 15 anymore, but mostly it's just difficult to be subversive or fresh with it when it's been the dominant style ever since South Park started airing, and I never liked the really crass stuff to begin with. Cutesy cartoon style but the characters are doing and saying inappropriate things?? #whoa #wow

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Phlegmish posted:

Part of it is not being 15 anymore, but mostly it's just difficult to be subversive or fresh with it when it's been the dominant style ever since South Park started airing, and I never liked the really crass stuff to begin with. Cutesy cartoon style but the characters are doing and saying inappropriate things?? #whoa #wow

This is how I feel, too. You can be crass and cynical for a plot point or a single hot moment in a show, but if that’s the show’s entire premise, you’ve lost me as a viewer. It’s like that godawful High School USA! That used to air on that godawful Adult Swim rip-off Fox used to air on Saturday nights called ADHD.

What if we take the Archie comics, known for being inoffensive, and turn everyone into monstrous edgelord assholes and offensive stereotypes? COMEDY GOLD!!! :nallears:

Anyway, this was a YouTube recommended video. Thanks, I hate it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDVIHN43-Ls

Although I do love steampunk Hans Moleman and Jessica Rabbit Rainer Wolfcastle :frogbon:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Right. To me it's not ideological and I won't judge anyone for liking it, I am aware that most people who are not severely mentally ill are perfectly capable of separating reality and fiction. You should see some of the video games I play myself. But when it comes to animation, I feel like it's so played out and I personally genuinely just do not enjoy it (anymore). A show that manages to be uplifting in an intelligent, non-saccharine way is going to be much more interesting to me than something that is just doing the same old poo poo everyone's been doing ever since irony and cynicism were discovered by the masses in the nineties.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Oct 2, 2021

Kevino07
Oct 16, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZHESOq-Gkw

Just making 10 minute ads now...

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

You Are A Elf posted:

What if we take the Archie comics, known for being inoffensive, and turn everyone into monstrous edgelord assholes and offensive stereotypes? COMEDY GOLD!!! :nallears:

That just reminds me of Young Archie and how it's completely official showing a younger Archie as a deranged rage fuelled misogynist

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

In more news about 'shows I shouldn't be analyzing to this extent and that I'm probably way too old to be watching anyway', season 2 of Teen Titans Go! feels like something of a downgrade compared to season 1. It seems more reliant on meanspiritedness and Looney Tunes violence, and the jokes and musical bits aren't quite as good. Still good clean fun...except that episode where Raven starts dating Aqualad or whatever his name is. That one just felt off, even in a show where basically every episode is a disconnected non sequitur.

The fact that it apparently pissed off fans of the original Teen Titans is pretty funny, seems obvious from the start that it's going for a completely different tone

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
My son likes TT Go! so I've seen a lot of it, and it feels like the writers have gone back to the well of dunking on the toxic fans of the earlier show so often now that it's gone past funny and into 'obvious inferiority complex' territory. Like at this point the writers of Go! are the ones who won't let the comparisons die. To put it in Simpsons terms:

Imagined fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Oct 4, 2021

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
The early 2000s were full of "humour" where the jome was just being as crass as possible so a lot of that poo poo just comes off as middleschool garbage to me

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
jome

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

drat sjws can't take a jome

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

“That’s the jome.”

:thejoke:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I'm too cool to be extinct.

Where do these people come from?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

all right okay

.... grudging lol

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I watched the entire thing. Didn’t laugh once.

I don’t know what Balenciaga is because I’m a lame, but that sucked a gently caress.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The Awesomesaurus posted:

Like most people watching modern Simpsons, just seeing a thing they associate with 'funny' and laughing.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Junk posted:

its interesting to see how the average goon's tastes for edgy animated adult cartoons has pivoted so much. is it just a natural shift in taste as we're all growing older, or has the intense politicization of everything on the internet put us more on-guard with what kinds of jokes and ideas we allow ourselves to be exposed to?

Growing older was definitely a big part of it for me. In my late teens/early 20's, I couldn't get enough of edgy adult animation and basically ate up anything Adult Swim put out. I was firmly convinced that watching anything but animation was a waste of time and that I was above it. Then I got a little further into adulthood and suddenly I don't want the stuff I watch to be ultra mean spirited and crass anymore. It just becomes unpleasant when real life is harsh enough as it is. Note: I do not think all TV has to be as saccharine and optimistic as, say, Parks and Rec, but there needs to be a balance.

Also it was just very played out by the 2010's, I'd say accumulating with shows like Allen Gregory, where every single aspect of the show is ridiculously mean and hateful that it's completely devoid of any entertainment value. Since then I think TV comedy as mostly balanced out, but yet you still get a handful of new "adult" animated sitcoms every year that feel like 00's holdovers. Like Adult Swim is currently pushing some show about a zombie mom that looks straight out of like 2007 which is kind of weird given that they're been leaning more toward stuff that's experimental in a good way (Tuca and Bertie, Joe Perra Talks With You) vs "for teenage edgelords and stoners".

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

But also: gently caress tv.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Imagined posted:

My son likes TT Go! so I've seen a lot of it, and it feels like the writers have gone back to the well of dunking on the toxic fans of the earlier show so often now that it's gone past funny and into 'obvious inferiority complex' territory. Like at this point the writers of Go! are the ones who won't let the comparisons die.

Yeah, I can see how it comes off as insecure on their part, kind of like latter-day Simpsons deflecting all criticism (except TTG is decent). Funnily enough, right after reading your post I happened to come across the episode where they get 'serious' and the animation style completely changes. I never watched the original series, I don't really care about the Batman (?) universe that the characters are originally from, so it all just leaves me kind of nonplussed.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I think season 2 is where they find their footing, but I like the wackier bits.

I was talking with a buddy about TTG a couple weeks ago, and he said he absolutely hates it but that he enjoyed the old series. I think that's still the major criticism they run into after however many years it's been.

also I just noticed that Mix Master Mike did the theme song remix for the series.

one thing the Simpsons don't do as well now is meta-humor. another thing is all the other kinds of humor.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Sankara posted:

But also: gently caress tv.

heck, man, I would if I could

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Phlegmish posted:

Yeah, I can see how it comes off as insecure on their part, kind of like latter-day Simpsons deflecting all criticism (except TTG is decent). Funnily enough, right after reading your post I happened to come across the episode where they get 'serious' and the animation style completely changes. I never watched the original series, I don't really care about the Batman (?) universe that the characters are originally from, so it all just leaves me kind of nonplussed.

The original cartoon is pretty notable as aside from Robin (who, interestingly, has no explicit recognition of his identity or origin story) the whole cast might as well have been original to the audience (besides anyone who remembered Cyborg from Super Friends) as the Titans have always been stereotypical comic C-listers who exist only to get killed off in big events/as ratings stunts, but the cartoon made them three-dimensional characters who stood up entirely on their own merits and gained a devoted fanbase among those who otherwise aren't even necessarily interested in superhero stuff, as well as successfully marrying western cartoon and Japanese anime aesthetics and concepts better than anything else has besides maybe Avatar TLA.

The Young Justice episode didn't help with the TTGo writers seeming to have a real bitterness towards the people who liked more 'serious' shows. And it doesn't help how badly Cartoon Network has treated pretty much all the DC cartoons up until Go, which became CN's own Spongebob for being literally 90% of the network's daily lineup.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
It seemed strange to me to resurrect a semi-serious DC cartoon from like 2004 a decade later as a wacky young kids comedy cartoon but TTG seems decent on its own merits

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Like, hard to understate how brutally DC squandered Teen Titans' popularity, the comics takes on Starfire in particular have been brutally cringeworthy. (Doesn't help that the cartoon basically got rid of all the blatant sex appeal aspects of the character and ended up making her charming, adorable and beloved by pretty much everyone IC and out, which the comic writers proceeded to completely miss the point of and doubled down on her being a slut)

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

The Awesomesaurus posted:

Wow. I'm in love with this content.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Junk posted:

A big part of it for me is seeing that the stuff that we were jokingly saying wasn't always being said as a joke by some.

A lot of that terrible poo poo gave cover for bigotry, and realistically normalized it so that it wasn't super shocking to say. I also think a lot of it starts to feel lazy because it's easy to go to.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Yeah there's a reason the phrase "South Park Republican" was coined. Basically "I don't care if you're gay as long as my taxes are low and nobody dares ask me to stop being 'ironically' racist."

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Like Adult Swim is currently pushing some show about a zombie mom that looks straight out of like 2007 which is kind of weird given that they're been leaning more toward stuff that's experimental in a good way (Tuca and Bertie, Joe Perra Talks With You) vs "for teenage edgelords and stoners".

The thing with adult swim is that linear has been left to die for years. They couldn't care less about it, and before the HBO max buyout, there wasn't much concern with it. They knew they could coast by on Family guy for the entire night, because it's like zombie Simpsons. There's a reason Rick and Morty was their biggest hit since like, Metalocalypse.

Joe Perra is an example of them having a hit, because they tried something new, and the guy is a great comedian. His character is great, and he's amazing at staying in character, even during live stuff for hours. But I know that a HUGE portion of the staff at Williams Street got laid off last thanksgiving, because the HBO stuff. And anyone that didn't is now like, an executive of animation division and stuff like that. I haven't had cable in years, so I have no idea what is going on in linear these days. But I'd be amazed if they ever get away from Rick and Morty and Fox being their entire night. They all hate Rick and Morty, but they know that it's the only thing keeping their lights on. So they have the mentality of "Why bother?" They can put out anything they want, because it brings in new people paying them for the air time, and then they can replace it right away with Fox shows again.

Sorry that this turned into such a :goonsay:

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Imagined posted:

Yeah there's a reason the phrase "South Park Republican" was coined. Basically "I don't care if you're gay as long as my taxes are low and nobody dares ask me to stop being 'ironically' racist."

That's just libertarians, AKA "you can be gay or whatever but stay away from my kids you fag, and you can call me cishet I guess or something, I guess like if you wanna get punched in the face you little gayboy"

Part of the "at least we're honest about being bigots, so don't lump us with the rest of the right" chud crowd

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Hrist posted:

The thing with adult swim is that linear has been left to die for years. They couldn't care less about it, and before the HBO max buyout, there wasn't much concern with it. They knew they could coast by on Family guy for the entire night, because it's like zombie Simpsons. There's a reason Rick and Morty was their biggest hit since like, Metalocalypse.

Joe Perra is an example of them having a hit, because they tried something new, and the guy is a great comedian. His character is great, and he's amazing at staying in character, even during live stuff for hours. But I know that a HUGE portion of the staff at Williams Street got laid off last thanksgiving, because the HBO stuff. And anyone that didn't is now like, an executive of animation division and stuff like that. I haven't had cable in years, so I have no idea what is going on in linear these days. But I'd be amazed if they ever get away from Rick and Morty and Fox being their entire night. They all hate Rick and Morty, but they know that it's the only thing keeping their lights on. So they have the mentality of "Why bother?" They can put out anything they want, because it brings in new people paying them for the air time, and then they can replace it right away with Fox shows again.

Sorry that this turned into such a :goonsay:

Adult Swim has been in decline for ages and it's too bad that the executives have no respect for the people that actually make them successful

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Hrist posted:

Joe Perra is an example of them having a hit, because they tried something new, and the guy is a great comedian. His character is great, and he's amazing at staying in character, even during live stuff for hours.

Thanks for recommending this because I had never heard of it before and it was absolutely wonderful. Surprisingly well-written and very touching. Not the funniest show in the world, but it's not really trying to be and instead is just a nice feel-good show.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, Joe Perra is great, there's only a slight amount of Adult Swim surreal-ness and it's otherwise just a really comforting, soothing show with some minor laughs. It's also surprisingly competently shot and edited. The fact that it's kind of a hit should tell Adult Swim that its days as the dumping ground for low-effort edgy stoner shows have passed.

Another show I love that they barely air or promote but is all free online is Off the Air. It is just a collection of whatever creative, interesting, and/or weird videos they find online, grouped by an overarching theme and edited in a flowing, trippy way. Yes, it's meant to be watched while high, but it's meant to enhance your high rather than something dumbed down for being high. The newer episodes do tend to veer more into weird/disturbing, though.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The new one really goes off the rails in the end.

Grandpa gets scammed out of $10,000 with the ol' "Your grandson is in jail, you have to give me money to bail him out."

Homer is super pissed about it and says Abe is dumb as hell for falling for any scam. But then it's revealed Homer has filled the garage with pyramid scheme knives.

The family uses Grandpa's ability to prattle on for forever to keep a scammer on the line long enough to trace the call. They find out the call center is local and go bust it. The cops break it up but refuse to actually charge anyone, which makes Marge freak out and start trashing the place, revealing a huge stash of stolen gift cards.

The family uses the gift cards on a blowout feast.

Then the whole thing is revealed to have been orchestrated by Loki, the trickster god.

https://twitter.com/TheMysteryofGF/status/1444823409872064512

This is not a fantasy sequence or undercut in any way.

They do take a shot at Disney, as Loki says he's going to add more blackout dates to the Disney season passes and turns into Mickey Mouse and runs off. I thought Disney would be too thin-skinned to let them razz on them like they used to do for Fox.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

PostNouveau posted:

The new one really goes off the rails in the end.

Grandpa gets scammed out of $10,000 with the ol' "Your grandson is in jail, you have to give me money to bail him out."

Homer is super pissed about it and says Abe is dumb as hell for falling for any scam. But then it's revealed Homer has filled the garage with pyramid scheme knives.

The family uses Grandpa's ability to prattle on for forever to keep a scammer on the line long enough to trace the call. They find out the call center is local and go bust it. The cops break it up but refuse to actually charge anyone, which makes Marge freak out and start trashing the place, revealing a huge stash of stolen gift cards.

The family uses the gift cards on a blowout feast.

Then the whole thing is revealed to have been orchestrated by Loki, the trickster god.

https://twitter.com/TheMysteryofGF/status/1444823409872064512

This is not a fantasy sequence or undercut in any way.

They do take a shot at Disney, as Loki says he's going to add more blackout dates to the Disney season passes and turns into Mickey Mouse and runs off. I thought Disney would be too thin-skinned to let them razz on them like they used to do for Fox.

Honestly this sounded like it could've been a potentially great golden age plot until that 180 at the end, what the hell

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
What was the earliest episode to have a complete out of nowhere ending? The first one I remember making me go :what: is the computer one with the random parody of The Prisoner at the end. The Prisoner is great, a classic TV series (albeit one with a central mystery that doesn't go anywhere), but it first aired in the late '60s and at the time I had never heard of it, and I don't think there was really any foreshadowing or anything for it.

There were probably similar endings in the golden age, but the only one I can think of is the Friday the 13th reference at the end of Boy Scoutz N The Hood. I would argue that at least that one had context (Ernest Borgnine and the kids ending up at an abandoned summer camp), rather than just being a random parody being stuck on to the end for the sake of it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Which one was the one with Abe hauling rear end to Lollapalooza?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Hedgehog Pie posted:

What was the earliest episode to have a complete out of nowhere ending? The first one I remember making me go :what: is the computer one with the random parody of The Prisoner at the end. The Prisoner is great, a classic TV series (albeit one with a central mystery that doesn't go anywhere), but it first aired in the late '60s and at the time I had never heard of it, and I don't think there was really any foreshadowing or anything for it.

There were probably similar endings in the golden age, but the only one I can think of is the Friday the 13th reference at the end of Boy Scoutz N The Hood. I would argue that at least that one had context (Ernest Borgnine and the kids ending up at an abandoned summer camp), rather than just being a random parody being stuck on to the end for the sake of it.

The kids were rescued by, oh, I don't know, let's say Moe

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Data Graham posted:

Which one was the one with Abe hauling rear end to Lollapalooza?

I had to look it up because I forgot too but apparently it was the one with Sideshow Bob and the nuclear bomb. I like season 7 and 8 but it was definitely around that time where they started making more "self-aware jokes" that could be very hit or miss.

Speaking of Grampa endings, Cape Fear with him turning into a woman and being hit on by Jasper probably counts too. Probably the only part of an otherwise classic episode that doesn't work for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I had to look it up because I forgot too but apparently it was the one with Sideshow Bob and the nuclear bomb. I like season 7 and 8 but it was definitely around that time where they started making more "self-aware jokes" that could be very hit or miss.

Speaking of Grampa endings, Cape Fear with him turning into a woman and being hit on by Jasper probably counts too. Probably the only part of an otherwise classic episode that doesn't work for me.

It does get kinda funny with the mention in the Stonecutters episode that he's the head of the Springfield Gay and Lesbian Alliance for some reason. And the time he dreams of being Queen of the Old West. Also that Abe and Jasper decide to just enjoy the moment.