Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Vegetable posted:

Biannual world cups are fine. Disrupting the club calendar to accommodate toasty countries also sound fine. People just have a lot of inertia about this kinda poo poo. World Cups are great.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

What the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
if Arsenal had just bit the bullet and given Wenger a lifetime contract, the World Cup would stay every four years

why don't you all just sit and think about that next time you're calling for sacking a manager, because you never know what the butterfly effect has in store

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

having a lol over the guy who used to rage about Bernard Tapie's corruption shamelessly stumping for bi-annual World Cups

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Don't make me post the verdict of the FIFA investigation into corruption at FIFA

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

Jose posted:

gently caress arsene wenger

[small nations flexing power]

if/when this actually happens cause fifa is awful, it'd be nice if all of the usual nations just boycotted the first non-4 year WC and see how fifa likes trying to sell a tourney where the semis are like lithuania vs lebanon, see how much money that brings in

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Karl Sharks posted:

if/when this actually happens cause fifa is awful, it'd be nice if all of the usual nations just boycotted the first non-4 year WC and see how fifa likes trying to sell a tourney where the semis are like lithuania vs lebanon, see how much money that brings in

I’d watch this tbh. They should do the World Cup and the World Cup 2 with a bunch of nations that didn’t qualify for the actual World Cup if they want to go every two years.

FIFA pay me 1 billion francs for this idea.

psyer
Mar 26, 2013

Gigi Galli posted:

I’d watch this tbh. They should do the World Cup and the World Cup 2 with a bunch of nations that didn’t qualify for the actual World Cup if they want to go every two years.

FIFA pay me 1 billion francs for this idea.

I think Infantino already mentioned about a tournament for teams that don't qualify for the World Cup is an idea they may explore in the future.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

psyer posted:

I think Infantino already mentioned about a tournament for teams that don't qualify for the World Cup is an idea they may explore in the future.

I remember there was discussion about this back in 2018, mainly as a means for Italy and the US to play in something.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Edward Mass posted:

I remember there was discussion about this back in 2018, mainly as a means for Italy and the US to play in something.
The World Cup
The World Toilet

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I think you will find the World Invitational Tournament is a proud sporting tradition as old as soccer itself.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Edward Mass posted:

I think you will find the World Invitational Tournament is a proud sporting tradition as old as soccer itself.
Whoever gives out prizes to the winners should be the same people who decided the prize for the NWSL Rookie of the Year the year Bethany Balcer won it, and she opened the envelope and in it was a $50 gift card to Chipotle and nothing else.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Edward Mass posted:

We joke but.... I would sooner have this then the 64 Team tournament or whatever.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
The thing is Wengers plan is actually pretty good, apart from the World Cup being every 2 years. If that bit could be disengaged from the main detail it would work out. Qualifying being a 4 week tournament of its own as it were is a solid concept as it attaches more significance to the process as it happens. The season being broken up so England can play Moldova and Andorra is nothing but tedious for everyone involved.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

psyer posted:

Just roll this into the Homeless World Cup

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
On 2nd thought, the homeless have been through enough, they shouldn’t have to deal with FIFA and probably don’t have money for bribes.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

they should stop trying to squeeze money out of the sport quite so greedily imo

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

reminder:

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

All opinions are my own and if you don't like them I have others

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://news.sky.com/story/former-fifa-officials-sepp-blatter-and-michel-platini-charged-with-fraud-12457982

quote:

Former FIFA president Sepp Blatter and his ex-UEFA counterpart Michel Platini have been charged with fraud in Switzerland.

quote:

In addition to being charged with fraud, Blatter has been charged with mismanagement, misappropriation of FIFA funds and forgery of a document.

Platini has been charged with fraud, misappropriation, forgery and as an accomplice to Blatter's alleged mismanagement.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
Switzerland has laws against fraud?

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Pook Good Mook posted:

If they think you're stiffing them for their take, absolutely.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Pook Good Mook posted:

You don't see Pep managing FC Basel

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

For Halloween I passed out copies of United Passions. This doubled its total revenue. Joseph Blatter is a saint.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Gigi Galli posted:

You don't see Pep managing FC Basel

lol

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

The world cup is a CIA op

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

"Former" CIA officer, hmm?

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

This feels like the thread for it.

Two Norwegian journalists were arrested and detained for two days by Qatari authorities for "trespassing" after they tried to interview migrant workers. The same thing happened to a BBC team back in 2015 when they deviated from the official tour group and tried to conduct their own interviews.

And it comes right on the heels of Josimar being threatened with a lawsuit over their reporting on the case of Abdullah Ibhais, a former Qatari World Cup communications employee who NRK was set to speak to, but he was arrested on Monday last week just hours before the interview was set to take place.

https://twitter.com/tariqpanja/status/1463452524258672641?s=20

Grimson fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Nov 24, 2021

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
I'm frantically checking every betting site to find the market on which footballer is going to end up detained during the world cup and putting my mortgage on harry maguire

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

the sex ghost posted:

I'm frantically checking every betting site to find the market on which footballer is going to end up detained during the world cup and putting my mortgage on harry maguire

Wait, you guys qualified?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

the sex ghost posted:

Entire squads are going to be arrested for doing their usual group sex filming and Qatar will win the whole thing.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Qatar is normally a dry country right? I have in my head that they've said they'll let fans drink but I don't know if they've grasped the scale of everyone wanting to be hosed up all the time

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
Dunno necessarily where the best place to post this is, but lol lmao

https://twitter.com/MailSport/status/1463405798785171460

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

ilmucche posted:

Qatar is normally a dry country right? I have in my head that they've said they'll let fans drink but I don't know if they've grasped the scale of everyone wanting to be hosed up all the time

It straddles the same line a lot of Middle Eastern countries do where foreigners can get licenses to buy alcohol for personal use from the state-owned liqour stores, and some hotels can sell to non-Muslims, whereas Muslims are strictly prohibited. They have implied that fans will be allowed to drink, but if I were there and a drinker I'd probably refrain just because of the potential consequences of anything I did while drunk being far more sever.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

trem_two posted:

Football halves are too long as well, let’s make them into 2 twenty minute quarters instead and we can squeeze 5 minutes of commercials in between

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

trem_two posted:

Haha, gently caress

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I'm looking forward to 80,000 people calling Ed Sheeran a wanker in Wembley

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Mrenda posted:

I'm looking forward to 80,000 people calling Ed Sheeran a wanker in Wembley

Is he doing stadium tours again?

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
I don't think I've ever wanted Millwall to make a cup final before

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

fast cars loose anus posted:

It straddles the same line a lot of Middle Eastern countries do where foreigners can get licenses to buy alcohol for personal use from the state-owned liqour stores, and some hotels can sell to non-Muslims, whereas Muslims are strictly prohibited. They have implied that fans will be allowed to drink, but if I were there and a drinker I'd probably refrain just because of the potential consequences of anything I did while drunk being far more sever.

its better than that: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/nov/18/alcohol-cruise-ships-rainbow-flags-what-awaits-fans-at-qatar-world-cup

qatar are literally going to park a couple of cruise ships off the coast and let fans from all nations stay on them and drink

there is no way this can go wrong