Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Discord is just what people used to use MSN messenger, Skype, etc for until for some reason those platforms decided to get rid of the features so much of their userbase used them for.

Pretty much the reason people use it is because they actually seem to know who their users are and what they want for the most part, while it's become standard for internet folks to regularly migrate to new platforms when the old ones decide to throw tantrums and chase off their existing users to chase an imaginary more prestigious demographic, or just 'update' so much they become unusable.

and here is SA, unchanged after 20 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Is there like a definitive SA discord or are there just like 500 and i have to pick

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Discord is just what people used to use MSN messenger, Skype, etc for until for some reason those platforms decided to get rid of the features so much of their userbase used them for.

Pretty much the reason people use it is because they actually seem to know who their users are and what they want for the most part, while it's become standard for internet folks to regularly migrate to new platforms when the old ones decide to throw tantrums and chase off their existing users to chase an imaginary more prestigious demographic, or just 'update' so much they become unusable.

Agreed.

I think the argument here is that goons are going offsite and congregating and saying malicious things about lovely posters, such as myself :ninja:

I've been on goon IRC channels and watched lovely movies with whatever the collective noun is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2rGTXHvPCQ

bazinga!

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Bismuth posted:

Is there like a definitive SA discord or are there just like 500 and i have to pick

yes

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

uhoh

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

the trick is to join all of them so you have 23 versions of :getin: to choose from, and then figure out which server has the posters you think are most interesting active

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
They're all themed discords

Like the CineD one is all movie chat, the Fabgoons one is all queer people, etc

I dunno if there's any general goon hangout ones but tbh i wouldn't want to hang out with most goons

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Hedrigall posted:

They're all themed discords

Like the CineD one is all movie chat, the Fabgoons one is all queer people, etc

I dunno if there's any general goon hangout ones but tbh i wouldn't want to hang out with most goons

eh, some of the big ones like maximum overchill seem to be all goons, but I don't chat there because its too big and too many people for me to keep up

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Ya there's basically a discord for each forum and one for basically each game in games.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Any discord with more than 50 or so active members is generally hard to get into, everyone's just talking over each other

Chill small discords are best

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Will confirm that discord offsites are dens of petty gossip as a universal rule. Just comes with the territory of being a convenient clubhouse.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

RFC2324 posted:

What's that line "Luigi wins by doing nothing"?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Me, sowing Discord : ha ha ha...

Me, reaping Discord : yes, yes! Yes!

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Speaking of discord, there's been a lot of drama over the past week with the New World MMO and the extremely terrible goon Tempus Thales who always jumps in to be in charge of the something awful guild for new MMOs.

He finally got banned tonight after loads of people posted the accumulated evidence of nearly a dozen years of the guy being a shithead.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Josef bugman posted:

What's that line "Luigi wins by doing nothing"?

Not far off. Having a solid business model and not loving with it is almost unheard of in modern capitalism and especially in the tech sector.

It's more like the fable of the dog who sees his bone reflected in the river.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Dog should have turned on his monitor

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

The Shortest Path posted:

Speaking of discord, there's been a lot of drama over the past week with the New World MMO and the extremely terrible goon Tempus Thales who always jumps in to be in charge of the something awful guild for new MMOs.

He finally got banned tonight after loads of people posted the accumulated evidence of nearly a dozen years of the guy being a shithead.

And now Starfleet Dental, the Star Trek Online goon alliance, is the home of the greater goondom for New World.

Tempus Thales was always a poo poo. Back when WoW Classic was just starting up and before his associations were known he managed to convince us to bring him on board as an officer and he immediately started threatening people before raiding was even really available to exclude them from loot rolls and we dumped his rear end. He got all bitchy about it and threw some of his weirdo nazi friends into the mix, who also immediately got thrown out on their asses.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

some plague rats posted:

This does not strike me as an advantage

On the bright side, if they are on discord, you don't have to spend the energy glossing over their posts on the forum

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

steinrokkan posted:

On the bright side, if they are on discord, you don't have to spend the energy glossing over their posts on the forum

:hmmyes:

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

The Shortest Path posted:

Not even a perma though. I guess mods have to have months long discussions to do that now.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Is that the same guy who posted as Kimensus or whatever?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Bismuth posted:

there is no official SA discord and there never will be. the admins consider goon discords to be offsites and have absolutely zero interest in being responsible for anything that happens in them

generally what happens is that the regulars in a thread or subforum will make their own discord for that thread or subforum. so just look at your favorite threads where a lot of the same faces hang out all the time, and at least one of them will probably have a discord

Scarodactyl posted:

Not even a perma though. I guess mods have to have months long discussions to do that now.

the chance of someone getting permaed over stuff that happened in discords or videogames is extremely slim, unless they admitted to real life crimes. I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for that

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
That's how so many posters get away with committing atrocities in Minecraft.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Main Paineframe posted:

the chance of someone getting permaed over stuff that happened in discords or videogames is extremely slim, unless they admitted to real life crimes. I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for that

It's this.

Admins are pretty hesitant to try to enforce offsite things on SA. What I think crossed the line for Tempus Thales was that he was using SA to bring people into his Discord where he'd be awful in various different ways, or at least that was the argument those of us who wanted him banned made.

Unlikely to get upgraded to a permaban unless someone finds evidence of real life crimes, as you pointed out, but "we'll ban you again if you so much as post the word 'discord'" is probably going to just keep him away for the foreseeable future. Hopefully.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Yeah but remember when Bobbie Wickham forbidding people from even mentioning the existence of discord was preventing people from warning other goons about a creepy predator

I ate a week probe for trying to keep goons safe

Hedrigall has a new favorite as of 15:16 on Oct 4, 2021

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
Kinda distressing that so far nobody has been able to articulate why they prefer discord to posting right on the forum

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I dunno if I'd say I prefer Discord, it's just useful for things like organizing playing games together, voice chat, things like that. It's a lot easier to organize some multiplayer or doing MMO stuff together through Discord than through the forum. I don't spend a ton of time chatting on Discord though so I'm not the right person to explain.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

Kinda distressing that so far nobody has been able to articulate why they prefer discord to posting right on the forum

What's more distressing is anyone giving a poo poo about where people prefer to post.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

yeah im highly distressed by it as well lol. wtf are you talking about.

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol

same im loving shaking

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Forums and chat programs like Discord serve different purposes, though both can certainly technically cross into the other territory.

Discord is better for faster conversations, between multiple people, all with the ability to talk 'at once'.

Forums are better for longer posts on a single topic, and are generally more slow moving overall. Being able to post larger chunks at once (without being that annoying tool who drops multi paragraphs in a chatroom) that are then replied to, possibly with other larger chunks of text.

It's not that complicated people.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Some goons might be coordinating a game of Dominions 5 on discord, hold me mommy

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

Yeah nobody except for like the 5 people who've already explained why so far.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Not far off. Having a solid business model and not loving with it is almost unheard of in modern capitalism and especially in the tech sector.

loll his bone

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Large Testicles posted:

Yup. This has to be a troll

Time to ignore this moron

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

Large Testicles posted:

Brandfarlig posted:

What's more distressing is anyone giving a poo poo about where people prefer to post.

fun hater posted:

yeah im highly distressed by it as well lol. wtf are you talking about.

Lmao

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

RFC2324 posted:

it's actually changed a lot over 20 years

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
i am distressed in an ambiguous manner

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

it's actually changed a lot over 20 years

We can embed tiktoks now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Also dark mode broke the aesthetics of some old emotes but that's okay.