Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Taking a look at the new version of Steam OS in a VM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5P1MSF1eEWM

This will be useful to anyone who has only used Windows before and is wondering what it will be like trying to use the Steam Deck as a full computer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

cool, so you're saying people emulate switch because yuzu performs better than the switch, also it won't run better than the switch, also it's really about the library, also you haven't actually ever installed yuzu.

No, I'm saying Yuzu can perform better than the Switch (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMXj-_BXQ0w, here's Mario Golf running at 4K60fps, there's tons of videos of Yuzu performing better than the Switch on a good desktop), but that the Steam Deck might not be able to even match Switch performance.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Nintendo should really just put all their poo poo on steam and enable cross-platform saves with the switch (some games have it, like Diablo 2). At least, they should have done that a long time ago. Now that the steam deck is coming out, they certainly won't for fear of it eating into switch sales.

On the other hand, they should stop making hardware and just focus on making games. Sega is doing far better now than they did during the console wars.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

MarcusSA posted:

I'm ok with this because I love my dumb Vita with its over priced (at launch before the SD2Vita) memory cards.

:yeah:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Dramicus posted:

On the other hand, they should stop making hardware and just focus on making games. Sega is doing far better now than they did during the console wars.

Nintendo is making like a bajillion dollars with the switch. It’s a very clear winner.

They’ve sold 89 million switches as of august fwiw.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Sounds like a flop to me!

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

MarcusSA posted:

Nintendo is making like a bajillion dollars with the switch. It’s a very clear winner.

They’ve sold 89 million switches as of august fwiw.

Yes, that's true. But it means I'm forced to play their games on a system that can barely handle 24 fps most of the time.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Dramicus posted:

On the other hand, they should stop making hardware and just focus on making games.
They'll never do this. There was a point when the 3DS stumbled out of the gate against mobile and nobody could figure out what the Wii U was that Nintendo's shareholders held NCL to the fire long enough to consider developing for mobile and even then they dragged their feet on actually doing it. But they doubled-down on hardware and between the reasonable success of the 3DS and massive success of the Switch, they will not give up their own hardware for the foreseeable future.

Dramicus posted:

Sega is doing far better now than they did during the console wars.
Sure, but Sega during the console wars never did as well as Nintendo has done at multiple heights now.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Oct 4, 2021

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Dramicus posted:

Yes, that's true. But it means I'm forced to play their games on a system that can barely handle 24 fps most of the time.

Most of the first party stuff runs pretty great in my experience. I’m not trying to play Doom Eternal or Witcher 3 on switch though. I understand emulation has a LOT of overhead in terms of spec requirements. My gut feeling is that you won’t be playing switch games on a steam deck. I can’t imagine even like gamecube games would be great on it, and I know dolphin rules.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Stan Taylor posted:

Most of the first party stuff runs pretty great in my experience. I’m not trying to play Doom Eternal or Witcher 3 on switch though. I understand emulation has a LOT of overhead in terms of spec requirements. My gut feeling is that you won’t be playing switch games on a steam deck. I can’t imagine even like gamecube games would be great on it, and I know dolphin rules.

Ironically Witcher 3 runs better than a lot of other titles.

Kind of looks like rear end but still

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
It would be a real huge shame if Nintendo hypothetically stopped making hardware. I don’t think anyone else would go nuts with weirdo poo poo like switches and wiis like Nintendo.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I do have to say good fuckin luck trying to fly with this thing. I was recently on 4 different planes and only one of them had a working power outlet.

I'd invest in a big rear end power bank because trying to rely on plane power is gonna have you in for a bad time.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Stan Taylor posted:

Oh, the Nintendo titles generally do run smoothly but that's what makes the whole situation so frustrating. Third-party titles often run like rear end for non-obvious reasons, I'm not even referring to Doom Eternal. Basic 2d card games like slay the spire or dead cells will lag and drop below 30 fps quite frequently. Whatever the issue is, the vast majority of Third-party games suffer from this. This means that instead of the switch being an amazing system all-round. It's just an amazing Nintendo machine for Nintendo games.

I just want a system that will play everything relatively smoothly. It seems like the steam deck will be able to do that. If it somehow could also emulate the switch smoothly then it would be the ultimate system.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Gutcruncher posted:

It would be a real huge shame if Nintendo hypothetically stopped making hardware. I don’t think anyone else would go nuts with weirdo poo poo like switches and wiis like Nintendo.

I could see Nintendo being a really dope peripheral company for all those weird ideas.

But I don't ever see Nintendo getting out of the hardware game and putting their poo poo on other platforms.

Dramicus posted:

Basic 2d card games like slay the spire or dead cells will lag and drop below 30 fps quite frequently.

How the gently caress does a card game struggle to maintain 30?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

MarcusSA posted:

I do have to say good fuckin luck trying to fly with this thing. I was recently on 4 different planes and only one of them had a working power outlet.

I'd invest in a big rear end power bank because trying to rely on plane power is gonna have you in for a bad time.

I get about 2 hours out of a 26800mah Anker running my win3 at full tilt at 35w tdp playing call of duty.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

sigher posted:

It's better now than it was at launch, but it still slows down when there are lots of enemies and you select a card, or use a card that has an effect, or when your deck gets reshuffled. For whatever reason the switch doesn't seem to like the 2d effects that slay the spire uses. It's a similar story for Dead cells. It's a pretty basic 2d platformer, but it struggles to maintain 30 fps. Must have something to do with layered effects.

The weird thing is I remember the original DS had the same problems. It could handle quite a bit of 3D stuff, but due to the processor they used it was actually not quite as good at rendering 2d stuff as the GBA or super nintendo.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

sigher posted:

It was written in Java.

I'm not saying Java is a bad language, but it certainly smacks of someone who writes enterprise Java for their day job using the only tool they're familiar with, one which isn't well-suited for game development out-of-the-box, to develop a hobby game on the side.

Incidentally I write enterprise Java for my day job and at one point used it for some gamedev. Fortunately eventually I stumbled across a game engine that I liked, but there are some data-driven game ideas I have that I'd still be tempted to write in Java just because I have strongly-typed Stockholm syndrome.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

I’m selling my Switch and picking up a Steam Deck precisely because of terrible third-party game performance. I like Nintendo games okay enough, but I’d like to play indie titles without frustration, too.

If the Deck can play the lion’s share of 2D indies at at least 30 FPS, that’s better than what I’ve seen on my Switch. Plus, Steam sales are regular and deep. Nintendo makes my wallet hurt ~~

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Insanite posted:

Plus, Steam sales are regular and deep. Nintendo makes my wallet hurt ~~

The Nintendo tax is real and it's horseshit. For example Atelier Ryza was recently on sale on both Steam and Switch and for no reason other than "lol it's on the switch, lets charge more" it was 50% off on steam and only 25% off on switch.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Nintendo has been making the "Nintendo games" tailor for weaker hardware for so many generations by now, I don't think they are even comfortable making games for top tier hardware.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Even Nintendo games chug and noticeably drop their resolutions lower than 720p in handheld mode

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Fallom posted:

Even Nintendo games chug and noticeably drop their resolutions lower than 720p in handheld mode

Age of Calamity...

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Insanite posted:

I’m selling my Switch and picking up a Steam Deck precisely because of terrible third-party game performance.

Yeah I'm gonna lol if I can play Bloodstained, Witcher 3, MH Rise on the Deck better than the Switch but we'll see

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Marx Headroom posted:

Yeah I'm gonna lol if I can play Bloodstained, Witcher 3, MH Rise on the Deck better than the Switch but we'll see

I mean you’ll be able to yes.

The Witcher already runs better on the aya neo and I’m sure rise will as well because it’s a kickin engine they are using.

Hell the Aya Neo can play MH World at 30fps(+).

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Marx Headroom posted:

The Deck is a considerably more powerful piece of hardware. Like, by a lot. So yes, any cross-platform games will run much better on the Deck.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

i’m laughing on the floor that i can play old rear end games better on hardware that’s four years newer and massively more powerful 😂😂😂

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Barreft posted:

Age of Calamity...
Physically hurts to play on Switch.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

https://youtu.be/WtfBhNL8UBA

FWIW the intel machine does run the Zelda game better than the switch.

The deck probably won’t do as well since it’s only 4 cores.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The Steam Deck's SoC will also be running at a 15W TDP vs the 25W TDP of those chips. It will probably be possible to modify the Deck so the SoC can run at 25W too, except you should expect some serious thermal challenges if you do that. The Steam Deck's cooling is designed for 20W of total system power.

Valve and AMD min-maxed the SoC for maximum GPU power, and some CPU cores were sacrificed for more RDNA2 compute units.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
the number of cores doesnt matter as much as the intel cpu in that video boosting up to 1ghz faster than the steam deck can lol and on an intel cpu which has noticeably better per core perf than a zen 2.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
I thought the Steam Deck was Zen 4?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

It's mostly the same as what's in the consoles. Zen 2 and RDNA2.

Switch emulation is too much to expect out of the Deck unless those emulators make massive gains in CPU emulation efficiency at some point. Cemu seems doable though.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The United States posted:

I thought the Steam Deck was Zen 4?

Zen 4 isn't even coming out on desktop until late 2022.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dxnr2FAADAs&t=3s

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Replacing the SSD doesn't seem too bad If you really wanted.

Really easy to replace the thumb sticks which is actually super cool.

Good video for them to put out.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

rad

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

Really easy to replace the thumb sticks which is actually super cool.
Easy to pull the board they're on out maybe, but that part is gonna be hard to come by unless someone starts making third party modules. The sticks on the Index controllers are a pain in the rear end to service also because of the cap sense.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Valve, I am begging you.

Give us Steam Controller 2.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

valve's transparency over their hardware (and I guess the development of Alyx) in the last few years is mind-blowing to me compared to how tight-lipped over their software they've been for years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

homeless snail posted:

Easy to pull the board they're on out maybe, but that part is gonna be hard to come by unless someone starts making third party modules.

2230 SSDs aren't super common but you can find them if you shop around

LambdaTek sell individual Kioxia BG4s in the UK/EU

https://www.lambda-tek.com/Kioxia-KBG40ZNS1T02~sh/B43816918