Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Oh GOOD, Burrow hobbled and Mixon out. Well it was a fun ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ikonoklast
Nov 16, 2007

A beacon for the liars and blind.

Mystic Stylez posted:

ladies and gentlemen,

Lamar Jackson has surpassed Kyle Boller for the 2nd-most pass yards in Ravens history

What are you saying? That this man can actually both run and throw the ball at the same time? :psyduck:

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Lamar needs to complete every single pass in basket-catch fashion for people to admit that yeah he can throw too. And the second he has a bad or average game its oh he should just always run. He hasn't made the boneheaded decisions the last two games either.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Is Lamar Jackson a top five passing RB?

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

ray rice has a much higher quarterback rating

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

https://twitter.com/LeVeonBell/status/1444843272631951361

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I was mad at the time but seeing the still image that's pretty clearly offensive holding.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Mystic Stylez posted:

ladies and gentlemen,

Lamar Jackson has surpassed Raven's legend Kyle Boller for the 2nd-most pass yards in Ravens history

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Ikonoklast posted:

What are you saying? That this man can actually both run and throw the ball at the same time? :psyduck:

No, he said he's thrown for more yards than kyle boller, not that he can throw

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

thank you, that's what I intended to say

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/TWSN___/status/1444756059852181504

Browns QB is 100% garbage

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

chamois posted:

stetson bennett IV is going to take the steelers to the promised land

No it won't and I don't care how nice the hat is

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

are you implying that he's faking something

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

OBJ could have caught that if he tried

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era
I think Bakers shoulder/shoulder brace is bothering him. He was accurate the first couple games until the injury. And when he's struggled in the past, it was usually not reading where the open guy is, not whiffing on the open guy. I hope I'm right and he steadies out as he heals. There was also a comment after the game about that route where it was confirmed that he expected OBJ to stop in the gap, not continue to go. Idk. I'm not worried yet.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

i think he sucks at football cause he plays for the cleveland browns

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I think its not a coincidence that his accuracy goes to poo poo when he starts facing teams with real dlines (he is a coward)

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Baker needs work done on him to fix his accuracy. If he starts panicking and moving around when he doesn’t need to or his passes. I wouldnt pay him a big contract at this point, he’s too inconsistent.

Problem is I’m not sure who else is or could be available.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
In 2022? Andy Dalton or Watson probably

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

We could just do like the Ravens and go about without a quarterback for a few games.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

Gatts posted:

Baker needs work done on him to fix his accuracy. If he starts panicking and moving around when he doesn’t need to or his passes. I wouldnt pay him a big contract at this point, he’s too inconsistent.

Good news is that if he continues up and down he can't demand a market setting deal.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Gatts posted:

You absolutely 100% must pay Baker. He's their best QB since 99. Nothing will tank this team faster than going back to the QB carousel and dropping first round picks on lottery ticket QBs. He's not going to be a HoF QB, and that's totally fine. He's not poo poo, and that's all that matters. Yeah, he played horrible Sunday, but I think that's the exception to the rule for him. He's been wildly efficient and has kept bad decisions (and turnovers) to a minimum since halfway through last year.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Baker should get like $35M a year but I don't know if the QB market actually works that way, it feels like "record or bust"

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I'm hoping DeCosta convinces Lamar and his mom to take his payment in fake bearer bonds or something

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

You absolutely 100% must pay Baker. He's their best QB since 99. Nothing will tank this team faster than going back to the QB carousel and dropping first round picks on lottery ticket QBs. He's not going to be a HoF QB, and that's totally fine. He's not poo poo, and that's all that matters. Yeah, he played horrible Sunday, but I think that's the exception to the rule for him. He's been wildly efficient and has kept bad decisions (and turnovers) to a minimum since halfway through last year.

He is at least a little bit poo poo, which is fine on a rookie contract since you can build a team around him that can carry him. That changes quite a bit once he wants $25+m per year especially when your much more deserving DE starts making $30m per year in 2023.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

But seriously, the Baker/OBJ thing is loving mystifying. I hate to say OBJ has wasted a few of his prime playing years, but goddamn, I have no idea what's going on with them and their chemistry. Obviously Baker sailed a bunch of uncatchable passes Sunday, but they gotta figure that poo poo out.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

But seriously, the Baker/OBJ thing is loving mystifying. I hate to say OBJ has wasted a few of his prime playing years, but goddamn, I have no idea what's going on with them and their chemistry. Obviously Baker sailed a bunch of uncatchable passes Sunday, but they gotta figure that poo poo out.

They’ve had like 3 years to work this out. It needs to be done.

I’d pay Baker like $20 mill a year but if the Browns make it deep in the post season and he contributes to it then yeah probably pay him a bit more. There are better aspects of the team.

He can’t carry a team like a Rodgers and frankly I’m not sure how much better he is than a Herbert or something.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

He is at least a little bit poo poo, which is fine on a rookie contract since you can build a team around him that can carry him. That changes quite a bit once he wants $25+m per year especially when your much more deserving DE starts making $30m per year in 2023.

DE? Don't you mean Ward? Looks like he's a UFA in 2023. He's going to want a dump truck.
Or unless you're talking about Clowney, which looks like his is kind of up after this year since he has a bunch of BS voidable years on his.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/yearly/cap/

Anyway, I don't think there's anyway Baker signs for anything less than $35-40 with the QB market basically getting reset every new contract. Just look at Dak. He got, what, $40M/year? I'd say that Dak is better than Baker, but QB prices don't ever go down, so I think we should expect to see Baker's contract come in somewhere around Dak's.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

DE? Don't you mean Ward? Looks like he's a UFA in 2023. He's going to want a dump truck.
Or unless you're talking about Clowney, which looks like his is kind of up after this year since he has a bunch of BS voidable years on his.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/yearly/cap/

Anyway, I don't think there's anyway Baker signs for anything less than $35-40 with the QB market basically getting reset every new contract. Just look at Dak. He got, what, $40M/year? I'd say that Dak is better than Baker, but QB prices don't ever go down, so I think we should expect to see Baker's contract come in somewhere around Dak's.

https://overthecap.com/player/myles-garrett/5585/

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Gatts posted:

They’ve had like 3 years to work this out. It needs to be done.

I’d pay Baker like $20 mill a year but if the Browns make it deep in the post season and he contributes to it then yeah probably pay him a bit more. There are better aspects of the team.

He can’t carry a team like a Rodgers and frankly I’m not sure how much better he is than a Herbert or something.

Yeah, I hate seeing all the "trade OBJ!" fanfare, but yeah, it's gone on way too long. Baker has way more chemistry with Landry and Higgins. OBJ is a generational talent at WR, but he does seem wasted on this current Browns team, and with Ward up for megabux, I'm guessing they move him this offseason.

I think people are underestimating the Browns beating the Steelers in W17 to make the playoffs, then turn around and beating the Steelers at Heinz for their first playoff win in 200 years. Those 2 wins were absolutely HUGE for the city of Cleveland, and I think Baker saved his contract talks with those 2 pivotal wins, not to mention almost beating the Chiefs.

Baker absolutely can not currently carry a team like Rodgers; no disagreement on that whatsoever. If we're down 4 on our own 20 at the end of the game, I honestly don't have much faith in his 2-minute drill since this team is obviously insanely heavy on the run and a bunch of dink and dunk passes rather than chunk yardage passes. There's no way he could have done what Rodgers did against the 49ers last week. I don't think he'll ever be that QB, but again, QB prices don't ever go down.

I don't think Baker will win Cleveland a Super Bowl with his arm, but I don't necessarily think he'll actively lose it for them either. He's their best shot in 20+ years.

At this point, I would rather have Herbert than Baker.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Oct 4, 2021

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Oh, I see what you were saying. Honestly didn't realize his extension didn't kick in already.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Obj is not a generational talent

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Time for josh Gordon to come back home

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
My point is you can't give a billion dollars to a mediocre QB because you will turn into the Minnesota Vikings. Maybe if it were stopgap to win a title (lol) but the contract will come the same time a whole bunch of other positions are getting raises so half the cap will be going to like 4 players and the rest of the roster will be garbage.

It's a trap unless he gets better but I don't think he will. He regularly looks like poo poo with amazing offense players around him. If I were the Browns I would take a QB high in the draft next year and let him throw a fit about it his final rookie year and then punt him.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Yeah absolutely this. Its always fun to think about setting up a team that can constantly set up for the future and cycle through rookie contract qbs, but it's not that realistic and especially for a franchise like the Browns that needs to have at least a couple more winning seasons/playoffs to get a little more of that 'winner's culture' type poo poo.
`

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Browns should wait until the off-season when I bet a Super Bowl winning former MVP* who has made noise about leaving is finally available

That’s right, the Browns and Big Ben together at last

*in the MAC

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

obj is mediocre and you wouldnt notice a thing if he wasnt on the team anymore

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

hang the beat alzheimers ben banners lmao It Was Huge For The City Of Cleveland

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.
OBJ is more washed than AJ Green at this point. He's not (and never was) a generational talent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

If I were the Browns I would take a QB high in the draft next year and let him throw a fit about it his final rookie year and then punt him.

I'm not going to lie, this would legit be hilarious.

The city of Cleveland would riot.