Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/975370/view/2949283920390370566

The Steam version just can't come fast enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

For some definition of "fast enough".

I think I've been playing the game and on off for a majority of my life (yes you can feel old now if you're in your 40s).

Corsec
Apr 17, 2007
The last time I played DF was with the 0.34.11 release of the Masterwork mod. Has the fps problem in vanilla gotten worse or is it about the same?

I also noticed that Meph had to scale down the Masterwork mod to keep compatibility with the latest vanilla releases. I'm trying to evaluate whether it's worth upgrading to the latest 0.44.12 version or to just stick with the 0.34.11 version of Masterwork. Anyone have opinions on the subject? It's not clear to me yet if upgrading to the latest Masterwork version for the sake of new vanilla features post-2014 are worth losing all the extra stuff from Masterwork.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThLBpiw7dTc

Kruggsmash with the bold claim that pump-training doesn’t work. Has anyone tried it or can provide evidence to the contrary? It’s been a hot minute since I’ve tried to play

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Certainly I was under the impression that pump training went with the same patch that made danger rooms no longer viable, but I can't quote a change log or anything.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

It certainly used to be much better. Any skill would train any stat, so if you ordered your bookkeeper to mainain maximum accuracy they'd get super strong and tough etc. I think Pump Operator does like... just endurance now, if that?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
i mean it still trains your dwarf, and it's easier to set up endless pumping than endless... almost anything else, in fact

it just doesn't do very much beyond making you better at pumping, or at activities very similar to pumping within the simulation -- which is still useful, it's not nothing, but those stats would probably train just as fast if you stuck the dwarf into military training or w/e unless you really specifically need them to be good at that trait as a priority

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Perhaps it's time for toady to implement exercise rooms and equipment.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Kilguroldeth admired a fine iron dumbbell lately, but feels disappointed that the last dwarf to use the stairmaster didn't wipe it down.

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Sep 19, 2021

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
Been getting that itch to dorf it up again, but the OP looks out of date. I see that the latest version is now .47.

Is Lazy Newb pack still the one-shot mod pack, or is there a different one people go to now?

I only really care about having Dwarf Therapist, using a tile set, and easy access to browse the history. AFAIK, I don't use Masterwork, at least not directly.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
Lazy Newb Pack is still the one.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Takes No Damage posted:

Kilguroldeth admired a fine iron dumbbell lately, but feels disappointed that the last dwarf to use the stairmaster didn't wipe it down.

Urist McBodybuilder is feeling frustrated. He posted on a forum lately. He got into an argument lately.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

True dwarf bodybuilders only eat plump helmets and cave beetle eggs, if you eat grain it makes your urist fall off.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Two dwarfs arguing over how many days a week you lift if you lift every other day.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Popete posted:

Two dwarfs arguing over how many days a week you lift if you lift every other day.

i'm not sure whether this is actually a problem in dwarf fortress weeks

e: ah okay, it is, you've still got 7-day weeks

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQfg4OxvrAQ&t=2s

The new music is nice. :)

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I haven't played DF in an age. I feel like I'm going to lose a solid month of my life when this update finally drops.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Yeah, it's been a real long time since I actually played at all but I'm looking forward to getting back into it.

Backfrombombay
Jun 25, 2006
I haven't played in years but same, can't wait to be overwhelmed by a catsplosion in Dwarf Fortress HD!

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Is the steam update coming out soon? I was thinking about getting back into this but i'll wait if it's nearly out.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Soon is a relative term when it comes to DF.

Might be two years away might be twenty.

Impossible to tell

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Oct 2, 2021

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

gowb posted:

Is the steam update coming out soon? I was thinking about getting back into this but i'll wait if it's nearly out.

Just wait. Thinking about playing Dwarf Fortress is more fun than actually playing it.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
They haven’t even given a hint of a date

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

necrotic posted:

They haven’t even given a hint of a date

rude

Vanant
Mar 27, 2010
Time is relative !

That said I will buy DF when it comes out on Steam. Even though I always play ASCII the tileset might be... nice? I've liked the previews that they've shown us so far. I'm old and I'm scared but someone will hold my hand through the new times I'm sure.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone seen confirmation that the Steam version will have an ASCII mode as well?

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

I was under the impression that the steam version's UI updates would mean the new look is inherent to those changes, but I think it's been stated that the "regular version" of Dwarf Fortress will continue to be updated and free to download as always. If not, then I'm sure someone out there will do the work to get it ascii-ified.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
ASCII tileset!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Appoda posted:

I was under the impression that the steam version's UI updates would mean the new look is inherent to those changes, but I think it's been stated that the "regular version" of Dwarf Fortress will continue to be updated and free to download as always. If not, then I'm sure someone out there will do the work to get it ascii-ified.

Yeah I guess the Steam version will be different enough that a lot of the UI changes won't port over to the ASCII version easily. Still hoping it's just an option in the Steam version I can check that switches it over to the old ASCII version even if it means having two copies installed but accessible under 1 launcher.

Corsec
Apr 17, 2007
Can you make TRAPAVOID creatures like kobolds get caught in a cage trap if you drop them several z-levels onto the cage trap? Presumably, this would stun them when they land and make them vulnerable to the cage trap and temporarily neutralise the TRAPAVOID flag. However, it seems like this wouldn't work against creatures with the NOSTUN flag, like FBs and titans.

I also have a web-capable FB in the caverns and I'd love to capture it for my zoo but as far as I'm aware it is untrappable.

EDIT: If I make invaders path along a powered minecart track, will this be an effective defense method when the minecarts hit the invaders?

Corsec fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Oct 5, 2021

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
You cannot cage stun avoid creatures afaik. Or maybe you could by incapacitating them then dropping them on a cage trap. That would be pretty hard to setup though.

You can of course trap even building destroyers in tunnels through creative use of cave ins, which should allow you to trap this FB for web collection.

However, don't forget that FB silk is actually in game mechanic terms not very valuable, you're probably much better off caging a giant cave spider and using that.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Corsec posted:

Can you make TRAPAVOID creatures like kobolds get caught in a cage trap if you drop them several z-levels onto the cage trap? Presumably, this would stun them when they land and make them vulnerable to the cage trap and temporarily neutralise the TRAPAVOID flag. However, it seems like this wouldn't work against creatures with the NOSTUN flag, like FBs and titans.
You can also use a collapse to do it. Pillar with a natural floor on top works fine, surrounded by cage traps.

quote:

I also have a web-capable FB in the caverns and I'd love to capture it for my zoo but as far as I'm aware it is untrappable.
There are many ways to trap such a thing. Apparently bridges cannot be broken from below, so luring it into a lowered tunnel with a sacrificial dwarf, then lowering drawbridges across the entrance ramps should suffice to contain it. Alternatively you can wall the bugger in where you can.

quote:

EDIT: If I make invaders path along a powered minecart track, will this be an effective defense method when the minecarts hit the invaders?
Depends on what you load the minecarts with, how fast they are going, and how many of the things you have ready to go at the top. You are almost always better off simply using a max length retractable bridge over a deep pit.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Knocking them off with high speed minecarts is much more fun though.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
regarding military, in my experience ill set up a couple of squads, have them train constantly, and have the goblins fail to show up for years, at which point every single squad member is a demigod.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
Same post but then I don't realize the forgotten beast has webs and I lose 20 guys in a fort of like 70

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Has anyone ever gotten a FB that was basically a walking apocalypse that you'd need to cheat or get insanely lucky to beat? Like an iron/steel/adamantite body, deadly dust...etc all wrapped in a single package of fort ruination.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Evil Fluffy posted:

Has anyone ever gotten a FB that was basically a walking apocalypse that you'd need to cheat or get insanely lucky to beat? Like an iron/steel/adamantite body, deadly dust...etc all wrapped in a single package of fort ruination.
Crushing them with a collapse always works.

I have always found the best way to avoid being destroyed by forgotten beasts is to simply not let them in, even if they ask nicely. Sadly, a lot of people are far too welcoming to neighbourhood monsters, especially in the caverns, and keep installing paths to let the inquisitive beasts inside.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I haven't played in literal years, are there tutorial guides for 0.47.** out there? I remember Captnduck was one but I don't know if his tutorials are up to date.

Edit: Is there a goon Discord too?

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Oct 6, 2021

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

This guy isn't quite as in depth as capnduck was (Wow that takes me back) but Kruggsmash is the Dwarf Fortress youtube channel of interest these days, and his tutorial should get you going.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTeQJOC1H38

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
Ok I'm trying to start playing this game. It looks right up my alley.

Is the stuff from the beginning and middle of this thread still accurate or have things changed substantially in a way that would make skimming it counterproductive?