Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The white bit in the middle is Other

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

funny picture

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Lolie posted:

A post showed up on a friend of a friend's social media last night claiming that the Labor Party's history of corruption in NSW was nowhere near as bad as that of the Liberals. I literally laughed.

It makes sense when you consider the difference between Neville Wran (turned a blind eye but probably wasn’t on the take) and Bob Askin (crook as Rookwood).

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Even if you manage to convince Gladys stans that she was corrupt, they would reply with "so, they all are" and they'd be right.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

S-tier grifter name

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Even if you manage to convince Gladys stans that she was corrupt, they would reply with "so, they all are" and they'd be right.
Seen these replies all over facebook the past few days

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

birdstrike posted:

It makes sense when you consider the difference between Neville Wran (turned a blind eye but probably wasn’t on the take) and Bob Askin (crook as Rookwood).

I sincerely doubt Wran wasnt on the take - it's more he dealt with political power rather than outright brown bags of cash. He almost certainly knew where the bodies were buried and corruption def florished under his tenure so that to me is corrupt dealings.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
These are just the NSW pollies convicted of crimes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Australian_politicians_convicted_of_crimes#New_South_Wales

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Apparently Jordies has some scoop, dunno who is being referred to in the correspondence he reads:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJX35NXDFqc

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I sincerely doubt Wran wasnt on the take - it's more he dealt with political power rather than outright brown bags of cash. He almost certainly knew where the bodies were buried and corruption def florished under his tenure so that to me is corrupt dealings.

yeah even looking charitably at the Age tapes and others it’s more a difference of degree where he was almost certainly actively involved but it’s harder throughout friends/intermediaries

shadier than tommu’s bedroom

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
actual corruption seems so amateurish these days

just get board positions from your lobbyist pals lined up after your term is finished like the grown ups

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Pile Of Garbage posted:

Apparently Jordies has some scoop, dunno who is being referred to in the correspondence he reads:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJX35NXDFqc

Two things would need to happen:

The Media would need to ask the PM what did the PM's office know, and when did they know it.
The PM to order an investigation.

Neither will happen :(

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

thatbastardken posted:

actual corruption seems so amateurish these days

just get board positions from your lobbyist pals lined up after your term is finished like the grown ups

You say that like our politicians aren't children

We literally keep getting people who couldn't hack it in England

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

You say that like our politicians aren't children

We literally keep getting people who couldn't hack it in England

Does that make them political prisoners?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Comstar posted:

Two things would need to happen:

The Media would need to ask the PM what did the PM's office know, and when did they know it.
The PM to order an investigation.

Neither will happen :(

or it will happen, then get shelved and we'll never hear about it again, ala brittany higgins

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

quote:

Victoria has recorded 1,763 new locally acquired cases of COVID-19 and four more deaths of people with the virus.

That's worse than the highest number of daily cases NSW has had during the current outbreak. Vic health system is already groaning under the weight. I don't see how they can stick to the roadmap at this time.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Ahhh that sweet Tuesday bounce.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Lolie posted:

That's worse than the highest number of daily cases NSW has had during the current outbreak. Vic health system is already groaning under the weight. I don't see how they can stick to the roadmap at this time.

We're staying under the doona forever, thank you very much

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010
Wtf are people in Melbourne doing? I thought they were meant to be pros at this unlike the perfidious Sydneysider

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
There is a reason that Melbourne spends so much time in lockdown. They're poo poo at locking down.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Nobody cares any more

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
We've been through this, Melbourne used up all it's lockdown compliance, now we just do whatever

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Given that we're supposedly reopening hospo outdoors in a few weeks, are we, uh, getting those vaccine passports we've heard so much about? Who is even doing it, the feds or the states? (We're going to end up with eight different apps aren't we... plus a ninth federal one which rolls out mid-2022 that nobody uses)

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

EoinCannon posted:

We've been through this, Melbourne used up all it's lockdown compliance, now we just do whatever

I genuinely believe Sydney is close to the edge and if we don't start lifting restrictions next week, people will just say gently caress it. There's no-one to cheerlead at the moment, either.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

It's probably from the protests last week

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

freebooter posted:

Given that we're supposedly reopening hospo outdoors in a few weeks, are we, uh, getting those vaccine passports we've heard so much about? Who is even doing it, the feds or the states? (We're going to end up with eight different apps aren't we... plus a ninth federal one which rolls out mid-2022 that nobody uses)

this post contains more of a plan than the feds have had for the last two years

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Lolie posted:

I genuinely believe Sydney is close to the edge and if we don't start lifting restrictions next week, people will just say gently caress it. There's no-one to cheerlead at the moment, either.

Honestly I can't even keep track of what the gently caress is going on regulation wise. Everyone I know is vaccinated so we've started seeing each other again.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

freebooter posted:

It’s on a per-state basis.

If you want to get a head start, link your Medicare with your myGov if you haven’t already.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

As well as lockdown fatigue I think maybe Melburnians also no longer fear the virus. Heaps of people, especially in the poorer communities in the north and west, already spent half of last year with it circulating in large numbers. They're more likely to have known somebody who caught it and had a mild case or felt poo poo but wasn't hospitalised.

My Twitter feed this morning was full of people in Sydney going "Oh wow terrible numbers - feeling for Melbourne, hopefully it turns around soon :(" and nothing whatsoever from people in Melbourne. The collective feeling here is: eh.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
So... let her rip?

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

freebooter posted:

The collective feeling here is: eh.

Yep.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Aware posted:

So... let her rip?

We’ll be at 90% double vaccinated by the end of November, there’s not much to let rip on

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I dunno, Israel doesn't seem to be having a fun time double dosed

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

ColtMcAsskick posted:

Wtf are people in Melbourne doing? I thought they were meant to be pros at this unlike the perfidious Sydneysider

People have given up. They’ll do the bare minimum to reduce their chances of copping a fine and that’s it.

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

freebooter posted:

As well as lockdown fatigue I think maybe Melburnians also no longer fear the virus. Heaps of people, especially in the poorer communities in the north and west, already spent half of last year with it circulating in large numbers. They're more likely to have known somebody who caught it and had a mild case or felt poo poo but wasn't hospitalised.

My Twitter feed this morning was full of people in Sydney going "Oh wow terrible numbers - feeling for Melbourne, hopefully it turns around soon :(" and nothing whatsoever from people in Melbourne. The collective feeling here is: eh.

Was literally saying this to my other half yesterday. The difference between how we feel now vs how we felt during lock down last year is noticeably more relaxed.

I guess it's just fatigue, familiarity and the fact that we've been vaccinated for months

Illuminti fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Oct 5, 2021

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Chadzok posted:

Everyone I know is vaccinated so we've started seeing each other again.

I've been seeing one of my kids but the other two are nurses so they have been following the rules to the letter. We're all double vaccinated so I can't wait to be able to catch up with them

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
An arguement that the LNP are so corrupt they escape scrutiny, and yet all three of the disgraced premiers have been Liberals.

ColtMcAsskick posted:

Largely the effect of hubris.

Cherdeena Wynne, 26, died in hospital five days after she became unresponsive after being handcuffed by police on a side street off Albany Highway. Her family say she was mistakenly arrested by police who did not check her identity before restraining her in her mother’s house, hours before she lost consciousness. Wynne's death comes 20 years after her father, Warren Cooper, died in custody after being found unresponsive in a police watchhouse in Albany. Cooper was also 26 years old. WA Police have said they do not consider her death to be a death in custody or in police presence.

ISSUES RAISED
Injured in custody, force used, mental health / cognitive impairment.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Reminder that all of this stems from that limo driver in NSW not wearing PPE when he wasn't required to wear PPE and NSW's failure to stop that outbreak.

The way that Melb went through multiple shorter lockdowns and seemingly got on top of those outbreaks only to have 1 weekend free before being sent into another lockdown caused by NSWs failure definitely crushed any remaining hope and confidence in the system that people had.

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

freebooter posted:

If you have an iPhone, you can download the Medicare app and add your COVID-19 vaccine certificate to the Wallet. At least in NSW this will be accepted as proof of vaccination.

It'll be integrated with the Service NSW app as well to make the checkins quicker, but the rollout timeline for that is currently "TBD".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
Ugh. Premier Perrottet it is.