Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

snergle posted:

in the books ...

In future can you please put this poo poo behind spoilers? It's was requested early on in the thread, and pretty much everyone has adhered to putting book stuff behind spoiler tags. And let's be honest, while vague, your post still gives the broad strokes of where the show is likely to go over the series.

There's a higher chance than usual of people interested in the show having never read the books given how old they are. Hell the last book of the second trilogy is over 30 years old. The source material being used for the current season is almost 80 years old. While Foundation hasn't aged as poorly as other Golden Age "classics", Asimov can definitely be an acquired taste. Dry doesn't even begin to describe his narrative style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Proteus Jones posted:

In future can you please put this poo poo behind spoilers? It's was requested early on in the thread, and pretty much everyone has adhered to putting book stuff behind spoiler tags. And let's be honest, while vague, your post still gives the broad strokes of where the show is likely to go over the series.

There's a higher chance than usual of people interested in the show having never read the books given how old they are. Hell the last book of the second trilogy is over 30 years old. The source material being used for the current season is almost 80 years old. While Foundation hasn't aged as poorly as other Golden Age "classics", Asimov can definitely be an acquired taste. Dry doesn't even begin to describe his narrative style.

Hari Seldon is actually Salvor Hardin as a timelord.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Are people not reading Foundation/Dune/Hobbits because they are "too old"?

Or people are just not reading books because reading is a lost art?

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

stephenthinkpad posted:

I read a lot! I just bounced off foundation when I tried it last. I've definitely read dune and hobbits.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Hari Seldon is actually Salvor Hardin as a timelord.

GOD drat IT! :colbert:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

stephenthinkpad posted:

Or maybe people are just doing other things. In any case, reading the books is not a requirement for watching the show, so just put book stuff in spoiler text.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

Or maybe people are just doing other things. In any case, reading the books is not a requirement for watching the show, so just put book stuff in spoiler text.

Book Knowledge braggers should be exiled to a separate thread.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

etalian posted:

Book Knowledge braggers should be exiled to a separate thread.

:emptyquote:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

stephenthinkpad posted:

Back in the 90s I found Foundation really hard to read because the language is so old, it really feels like it was something from the 50s. The Hobbit and LOTR feel archaic, but I think that was the intention because Tolkien was taking inspiration from ye olde English for it. Dune I didn't have as much trouble getting into because the prose flows so wonderfully even if the subject matter is impenetrable at times.

I swear someone in Foundation says "howdy" to another character.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

To be fair the show has already diverged a lot so book knowledge is almost on par with complete speculation. It’s not like Game of Thrones where the first seasons were following the book almost to the letter.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Yeah by the end of ep 2 you should know book plots means nothing.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

stephenthinkpad posted:

Book sales continue to be extremely high, but people generally prefer to read books about bookshop owners solving mysteries with their cats these days. The need for escapism is also extremely high.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

To be fair the show has already diverged a lot so book knowledge is almost on par with complete speculation. It’s not like Game of Thrones where the first seasons were following the book almost to the letter.

We don't know what they are or aren't taking from the books. You never know what might be a spoiler for something that happens later. So just tag book stuff, it's not hard.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

stephenthinkpad posted:

Yeah by the end of ep 2 you should know book plots means nothing.
That's really not true. They're adding a lot more detail and drama, but everything else indicates that they'll be touching all the major plot points of the books. Book readers absolutely can easily spoil this for non-book readers. It would be considerate if we didn't do that outside of spoiler tags.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Genuine question - how are you going to know what spoiler text is for the most recently released episode and what spoiler text is for potential book spoilers? I understand context may help but not always.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Genuine question - how are you going to know what spoiler text is for the most recently released episode and what spoiler text is for potential book spoilers? I understand context may help but not always.

I always context my spoilers. Like this:

(last episode) it's a shame Brother Dusk died of Ligma

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

twistedmentat posted:

I swear someone in Foundation says "howdy" to another character.

Is it weird to say "howdy"? I'M NOT WEIRD

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Well at least the whole death ray vaporization retirement plan solves the age old problem of getting the classic "you never call your grandparents' or "you'll miss when i'm gone" shaming....

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Did they specify how long the Cleons (lol jfc Cleon is an anagram of Clone I literally just got this) live?

The opening scrawl said it was 19 years later from the events of Episode 2 but either the clones have shorter lifespans or they're being really creative with how people age just to keep reusing the same 3-4 actors.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Did they specify how long the Cleons (lol jfc Cleon is an anagram of Clone I literally just got this) live?

The opening scrawl said it was 19 years later from the events of Episode 2 but either the clones have shorter lifespans or they're being really creative with how people age just to keep reusing the same 3-4 actors.

Well assuming the fat kid in ep1 is 10 year old, 10+19=about 30 year in a cycle. So the old clone gets vaporized when the new clone is born, so I assume the empire always have 3 clones, Brother Dawn (0-30) , Day (30-60), Dust (60-90).

BTW I don't get the mural lore. They are not even painting the mural. They are just pushing pigments onto the surface.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

stephenthinkpad posted:

Well assuming the fat kid in ep1 is 10 year old, 10+19=about 30 year in a cycle. So the old clone gets vaporized when the new clone is born, so I assume the empire always have 3 clones, Brother Dawn (0-30) , Day (30-60), Dust (60-90).

BTW I don't get the mural lore. They are not even painting the mural. They are just pushing pigments onto the surface.

Dawn/Day/Dusk and briefly, Brother Dark.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

stephenthinkpad posted:

Right, the Dawn to Day transformation is a stretch but kinda works (Lee Pace is fit as gently caress but still looks 40 but I could believe that they're going for 30).

The Day to Dusk transformation is really weird because Dusk looks closer to late 60's than 50, especially given the übermensch vibes they give Day. Plus Dusk is already showing signs of his age affecting him in the first episode.

And then Dark is barely keeping it together at 70?

They also have Dark walk down a long line of deceased Cleons, but the reign of the clones has been going on for 400 years, and assuming a 70 year old lifespan, you should have maybe 5-7 rulers?

I guess it would make sense to keep their lifespans short to ensure that their lives are about the Empire and not themselves, or something like that.

dpkg chopra fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Oct 5, 2021

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
No you only rule when you are Brother Day, so only 1/3 of your lifespan. 30 year reign X 14 = 420. Did one shot said Cleon 14th?

The robot girl also said Cleon II was only born right before OG Cleon's death, so he actually got to rule to the end of his life, and got the Mao treatment.

stephenthinkpad fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Oct 5, 2021

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

stephenthinkpad posted:

No you only rule when you are Brother Day, so only 1/3 of your lifespan. 30 year reign X 14 = 420. Did one shot said Cleon 14th?

Ah, that's a good point, I forgot about that.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I thought someone in the Foundation said Cleon XII.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

They showed "Cleon XIV" when showing the newest Brother Dawn at age 14. The Brother Day in episode 1 was Cleon XII. They showed during the pedestals scene that Brother Dust/Dark, "The Painter", was XI.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

stephenthinkpad posted:

They are not even painting the mural. They are just pushing pigments onto the surface.

What is it you think painting is? Putting pigments on a surface is pretty much what painting is at a fundamental level.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

YOu're not even singing, you're just forcing air through a fleshy tube and squeezing it in weird ways so it makes noises

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Data Graham posted:

YOu're not even singing, you're just forcing air through a fleshy tube and squeezing it in weird ways so it makes noises

Don't say that kind if poo poo about Mike Patton.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

I like to redact the spoilers, but leave the context. So when talking about the most recent episode I might say:

"What was happening on Terminus when Salvor was holding the bird-moth things and what was that supposed to signify?"

Or,

"Holy crap, I can't believe Brother Dusk just yeeted himself into dust at the end! :aaaaa:"

Or if I wanted to speculate on the books:

"So we see the battlecruisers coming for Terminus, do you think some book poo poo that hasn't happened yet or will they jump ahead to some different book poo poo."

stephenthinkpad posted:

The robot girl also said Cleon II was only born right before OG Cleon's death, so he actually got to rule to the end of his life, and got the Mao treatment.

Yeah, Cleon II probably had Demerzel as a reagent until he became Brother Day and took over while they birthed a new Brother Dawn. So Cleon II would have been the first to vaporize himself...
:stare:

I was kind of wondering where they kept the other bodies...everyone kept looking at Cleon Prime.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
You can see the 400 year or so advancement in technology. In the last episode The imperial bug zapper, presumably built by second emperor, is room sized while in the first episode they use a handheld phaser on the mural technician to do the same thing

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

feedmyleg posted:

Book sales continue to be extremely high, but people generally prefer to read books about bookshop owners solving mysteries with their cats these days. The need for escapism is also extremely high.

I would like to know more about this.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Beefeater1980 posted:

I would like to know more about this.

Cat mysteries. Cozy mysteries.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Is it just me or is the Vault in the show the Atlas from No Man's Sky?

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

droll posted:

The character that woke up during the FTL jump will never step foot on Terminus. Are you thinking of Salvor?

droll posted:

You already watched the first two episodes so I haven't spoiled anything for you. Gaal straight up says it in her narration in the beginning of the first episode

This is from quite far back in the thread, but this is untrue. Here's the monologue from the first episode:

"When I was a child, I told my mother I wanted to learn every planet in the Galactic Empire, beginning in the centre and moving out to Star's End.
Each night she told me stories. I travelled light-years, my mind expanding to hold more and more worlds. But I never reached Terminus.
Straddling the farthest reaches of civilisation, unsettled by man, it was the end. And its story remained dark to me until many years later.
Until it became my story. Until it became the only story."

The "light-years travelled" are in Gaal's imagination. Her mother's stories just never got to Terminus because it's an obscure planet. This doesn't preclude Gaal from turning up on Terminus at some point in the show. In fact, I suspect she will as it seems likely she's been frozen and will appear later, as part of show's ways of keeping characters and actors around through multiple time-skips (obviously we've got Hari's holograms to come, but the clone emperors and the robot are obviously other ways to achieve this).

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Actually, speaking of Salvor Hardin, there was one bit around her in the third episode which frustrated me, when she says something like "Let's see what kind of violence we can deal to the Anacreonians." Just flew in the face of the famous Hardin maxim from the books - although I can also see how this whole process is part of her evolving into the mindset of the book-era Hardin (considering I think this is still 15 years before Hardin is introduced in the books).

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Comrade Fakename posted:

This is from quite far back in the thread, but this is untrue. Here's the monologue from the first episode:

"When I was a child, I told my mother I wanted to learn every planet in the Galactic Empire, beginning in the centre and moving out to Star's End.
Each night she told me stories. I travelled light-years, my mind expanding to hold more and more worlds. But I never reached Terminus.
Straddling the farthest reaches of civilisation, unsettled by man, it was the end. And its story remained dark to me until many years later.
Until it became my story. Until it became the only story."

The "light-years travelled" are in Gaal's imagination. Her mother's stories just never got to Terminus because it's an obscure planet. This doesn't preclude Gaal from turning up on Terminus at some point in the show. are obviously other ways to achieve this).

that's a hell of a stretch

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Disagreed, I interpreted it the same way as well.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

snergle posted:

then it ties into the irobot universe. i suspect the show may not want to go with that final thread.

I've been re-reading the Robot novels and in the third one, Robots of Dawn (published way after the first two), he has a character say something along the lines of "I bet you could predict the behavior of human civilizations, if your math was good enough. Unfortunately I can't do it, but if I did I'd call it psychohistory" (looks at camera meaningfully)

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Yeah, Cleon II probably had Demerzel as a reagent until he became Brother Day and took over while they birthed a new Brother Dawn.

Although Asimov was a chemist, Demerzel probably would have been a regent, not a reagent :haw:

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

First, some more pedantry: it's an opening crawl. A scrawl is a piece of crudely-executed handwriting.

The fact that Cleon is an anagram of Clone is probably a happy coincidence, because Asimov called the emperors Cleon without making them clones. Of course, it's possible one of the writers mis-read the name in the book, then decided it was actually a pretty cool idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

feedmyleg posted:

Disagreed, I interpreted it the same way as well.

This is a weird debate.

Originally a goon claimed that Salvor's ability to withstand the artifact's null field was a product of the FTL travel.

Someone corrected him that Salvor had never traveled FTL and that they were probably confusing Salvor with Gaal.

A third person quoted that clarification and complained about book-readers posting spoilers.

Finally, someone said that this wasn't a spoiler and that Gaal herself told us in the opening narration that she'd never reached Terminus.

And now here we are.