Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

50 years ago, it was only the AP Top 20. Of the teams ranked in week 6 of 1971, here's who is not currently ranked in the top 20:

#1 Nebraska
#6 Colorado
#10 Texas (currently #21)
#11 Arizona State (currently #22)
#12 LSU
#14 Tennessee
#15 Stanford
#17 Toledo
#18 Washington
#19 Florida State
#20 Purdue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Sash! posted:

50 years ago, it was only the AP Top 20. Of the teams ranked in week 6 of 1971, here's who is not currently ranked in the top 20:

#1 Nebraska
#6 Colorado
#12 LSU
#14 Tennessee
#15 Stanford
#17 Toledo
#18 Washington
#19 Florida State
#20 Purdue

Sometimes I forget that Toledo was one of the best football schools in the early 70's, and I smile every time I remember.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

PupsOfWar posted:

i feel everyone has formulated "why Nebraska will never be good again" adequately, but idk if folks have figured out why Miami will never be good again

tbf Richt had them undefeated and #2 going into the last weekend of 2017. Then they got Pitt'd and the wheels came off.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Edward Mass posted:

Sometimes I forget that Toledo was one of the best football schools in the early 70's, and I smile every time I remember.

I'm kinda curious about that season for them not knowing much about old timey cfb, they started the season unranked and finished 12-0 and ranked 14th. Not sure how the week 12/13 polls worked (using Wikipedia) as Notre Dame seemingly jumped them when both their records remained unchanged?

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

I've often wondered what Tim Couch could have done with this year's or the 2018 defense. Or Jared Lorenzen, or Andre Woodson. Hell, even Mike Hartline. Levis had such a great first game, it's been a little disappointing that they haven't been able to replicate that yet.

Dusty Bonner was a pretty decent arm, too.

Prime Hal Mumme with this crew would have been extremely fun. Might have also been extremely frustrating, but definitely fun.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

PupsOfWar posted:

i feel everyone has formulated "why Nebraska will never be good again" adequately, but idk if folks have figured out why Miami will never be good again

It’s a small private school

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Adun posted:

It’s a small private school

Aha, but so is USC ...

oh wait

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

PostNouveau posted:

Aha, but so is USC ...

oh wait

Looked it up since I was curious: USC is 2-3 times the size of Miami so even less excuses for them to be so poo poo

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Adun posted:

Looked it up since I was curious: USC is 2-3 times the size of Miami so even less excuses for them to be so poo poo

I must have look at some old info. I thought they were roughly equal size

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

PostNouveau posted:

I must have look at some old info. I thought they were roughly equal size

I think if you include the hospital system associated with da U, they're about equal?

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

PupsOfWar posted:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/much-does-college-spend-recruiting-020000637.html

This list (for 2018) doesn't put The U in the top 55 for recruiting budgets. For reference, they list Georgia #1 at $2.6 million and Houston #55 at $251,000. (Florida is #12 at $1.1 million, kind of a bummer...)

I don't know what the facilities or their analyst/assistant coach budgets are looking like.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

https://twitter.com/delatorre/status/1445433843834572801?t=roqRyqD9s2pg_8rQG_r57w&s=19

I miss football autist Tebow and his post-Ole Miss speech.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Sash! posted:

#1 Nebraska
#6 Colorado
#12 LSU
#14 Tennessee
#15 Stanford
#17 Toledo
#18 Washington
#19 Florida State
#20 Purdue

What are the opposite teams? Ranked today, not ranked then.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Taerkar posted:

What are the opposite teams? Ranked today, not ranked then.

Iowa
Cincinnati
Oregon
BYU
Michigan state
OK state
Coastal Carolina
Kentucky
Ole Miss
Wake Forest
Florida
NC state
SMU
SDSU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

PostNouveau posted:

I guess so I kinda have a hard time believing there were a lot of bets on Bethune-Cookman v. South Carolina St. but maybe the pool of complete degenerates is much larger than I think

Little late here but you're kinda missing the point I think. Say you're the only person in the nation betting on this game, but if you're betting on it you care. You've got something at stake here. And to see how stupidly you can lose money is very fun.

They skip over the bigger name bad beats unless it's really bad because everyone already knows.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Lol Ryan Day owns

https://twitter.com/redditcfb/status/1445484013045436417?s=21

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

D.N. Nation posted:

tbf Richt had them undefeated and #2 going into the last weekend of 2017. Then they got Pitt'd and the wheels came off.

ah, the Pitt curse
i understand this now

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
https://mobile.twitter.com/RoushKSR/status/1445537299790372869?ref_src=twsrc%5Etwitterkit

Not great for UK. McCall is a big loss in the middle, but there is depth at D line behind him. Ali is the bigger concern. So far the only reliable receiver behind Wan'Dale. Somebody is going to have to step up, or get the tight ends more involved.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

LLCoolJD posted:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/much-does-college-spend-recruiting-020000637.html

This list (for 2018) doesn't put The U in the top 55 for recruiting budgets. For reference, they list Georgia #1 at $2.6 million and Houston #55 at $251,000. (Florida is #12 at $1.1 million, kind of a bummer...)

I don't know what the facilities or their analyst/assistant coach budgets are looking like.

they’re not on this list because they’re private so their budgets aren’t public information, not because they’re spending less than Houston

But it does probably have a lot to do with bigger budget programs recruiting more effectively in Miami’s backyard than they were doing in the 80s and 90s

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe

PostNouveau posted:

OU opened -5 on Texas and the line quickly moved to -3.5

The only predictable thing about the Shootout is its unpredictability. With OU struggling in every game I've decided that the most surprising thing now would be for them to just kick the poo poo out us, so that's probably how it's gonna go

OU does way worse in this game when we're favored big so this checks out.

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

I don't know who will win the rrs but I can guarantee you Texas will cover. Outside Western Carolina Oklahoma has won by an average of 5.25 points and traditionally the game has been decided by a single score or less recently.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

wyoak posted:

they’re not on this list because they’re private so their budgets aren’t public information, not because they’re spending less than Houston

Ah that makes sense.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Grittybeard posted:

Little late here but you're kinda missing the point I think. Say you're the only person in the nation betting on this game, but if you're betting on it you care. You've got something at stake here. And to see how stupidly you can lose money is very fun.

They skip over the bigger name bad beats unless it's really bad because everyone already knows.

Yeah I can see what you're saying. Mostly I misunderstood the segment and got annoyed that Bethune didn't actually win

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

This was immensely entertaining until near the end when I realized the segment was called "Bad Beats" because of gambling poo poo and that Bethune Cookman was not actually going to win the game, just cover the spread.

For me it’s less “oh my god my bets :negative: “ and more “how did this team get so close to throwing away such a big lead?”

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Oh man, it's already been 7 years since Katy Perry Day.

https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/1445116844008955904

or Xort day, if you prefer.

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

wa27 posted:

Oh man, it's already been 7 years since Katy Perry Day.

https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/1445116844008955904

or Xort day, if you prefer.

Katy Perry is considered a war criminal in the state of Oklahoma. Has any guest picker ever killed a man so throughly?

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Katy Perry makes generic feel good pop music and also needs to have a full time guest spot on Gameday just to sew chaos and discord

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

dphi posted:

Iowa
Cincinnati
Oregon
BYU
Michigan state
OK state
Coastal Carolina
Kentucky
Ole Miss
Wake Forest
Florida
NC state
SMU
SDSU

If you go back like 15 more years Iowa is in the title picture but 71 happens to be right in the middle of the 20 year dark age between Evashevski and Fry that was the low point for the history of the program. In 79 they hire Fry and in 81 they go to the Rose Bowl.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

LLCoolJD posted:

Miami might not be there because, as a private school, they are not required to disclose their budgets. Baylor does the same poo poo.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

And 40 years later, Iowa goes to another Rose Bowl. Can they exorcise the ghost of Moorhead this time?

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

kayakyakr posted:

Miami might not be there because, as a private school, they are not required to disclose their budgets. Baylor does the same poo poo.

This is regularly the case for half the ACC since so much of the conference is tiny private schools, they don't have to share poo poo about what they're spending.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I'd also like to point out that the idea that schools don't even hit 2 million in annual recruiting budget looks incredibly sus.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

https://twitter.com/GatorsFB/status/1444799636863176714?s=20

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Make it full time uni

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

I appreciate the commitment to the cheesy old-timey football poses there.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Hey Rumble weren’t you and I talking about the UT USC game where UT wore black jerseys?

Guess what

https://twitter.com/Vol_Football/status/1445783406978080779

I love these, think they look really good

Joey Freshwater fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Oct 6, 2021

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Joey Freshwater posted:

Hey Rumble weren’t you and I talking about the UT USC game where UT wore black jerseys?

Guess what

I was there for that game, had a few student mentees on the team at the time, it was so hype and Neyland had a great time against USCe that night.

e: also think they look sharp, give me an orange helmet you cowards.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Asproigerosis posted:

I'd also like to point out that the idea that schools don't even hit 2 million in annual recruiting budget looks incredibly sus.

lol if your school doesn't have a 2 million dollar annual budget just for recruiting arch manning

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Joey Freshwater posted:

Guess what

Legit a great look and as a big fan of spooky season, I appreciate its seasonal alignment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Joey Freshwater posted:

Guess what

This looks freakin' awesome.