Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Lawrence looks talented in spite of the terrible coaching so things will probably improve once Urban is gone, which should be soon.
Watch us hire Jason Garrett or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Jaguars should already be under the table courting Joe Brady, Bieniemy and Daboll

I can't wait to see the comedy though

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

couldn't have happened to a nicer dude either. the universe really is unjust sometimes

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Lawrence looks talented in spite of the terrible coaching so things will probably improve once Urban is gone, which should be soon.
Trading away Siney Jones and CJ Henderson for peanuts, and a bunch of other roster moves have all been indefensibly bad. I'm still pissed about last years draft (https://twitter.com/sethwalder/status/1442492226723061765?s=21 and Chaisson is a bust) and this year wasnt much better; Etienne may be amazing but with so many needs on the roster he was a luxury pick when there was some really great talent still on the board, Tyson Campbell should not have been the 33rd pick of the draft, and a bunch of the picks after that were all high injury risk guys who could amount to nothing in the NFL.

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

Hey what are the chances the jags try dabo lololo

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

half cocaine posted:

Hey what are the chances the jags try dabo lololo

Dabo wont do it because he knows he can't handle paid professionals. Course he couched that knowledge in "I'll retire if college players get paid" lol

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I don't understand how Urban thought this would all go. He's not the first coach to ever start 0-4.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Full quote.

quote:

“The ownership of this team is with the players,” Meyer said, regarding the question of getting the team ready to play the Titans on Sunday. “I don’t believe that’s in my court. . . . The leaders on the team are going to make that decision. It depends on how much trust you have built up with them, how we structure everything this week and focus on winning that game. . . . I’m going to be extremely clear as I can. Our staff is working their tails off. But you know as well as I do that the ownership of this team is with the players.”

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Holy poo poo.

Grittybeard posted:

I also am close to :tinfoil: buying into the idea that he leaked this himself so he can point to it as when he lost the team when he quits in week 7 or so.

He actually for real is doing this isn't he? I didn't expect to be right.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Urban was an extremely good choice to coach.

Most entertaining coach by far

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

God it reads worse. No interest in earning the trust just flat out expecting it which seems like how he's gone about coaching pro's

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Dabo wont do it because he knows he can't handle paid professionals. Course he couched that knowledge in "I'll retire if college players get paid" lol

It's sad he is too much of a coward because it absolutely would be the best outcome to see him fail like Saban & Petrino & Urbz

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

CharlestheHammer posted:

Urban was an extremely good choice to coach.

Most entertaining coach by far

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
We need an emergency episode of The Good Place to address this saga.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

JT Jag posted:

Watch us hire Jason Garrett or something

Would still be an improvement.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Trading away Siney Jones and CJ Henderson for peanuts, and a bunch of other roster moves have all been indefensibly bad. I'm still pissed about last years draft (https://twitter.com/sethwalder/status/1442492226723061765?s=21 and Chaisson is a bust) and this year wasnt much better; Etienne may be amazing but with so many needs on the roster he was a luxury pick when there was some really great talent still on the board, Tyson Campbell should not have been the 33rd pick of the draft, and a bunch of the picks after that were all high injury risk guys who could amount to nothing in the NFL.

Yea, Balke sucks too. He loved picking up the injury guys when he was with the 49ers too and it didn’t work out there either. If Urban gets fired before he finishes one season you’ve got to fire Balke as well just for making that choice or at least going along with it.

YOLOsubmarine fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Oct 6, 2021

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

JT Jag posted:

I hate it here

I'm not sure you should, this seems to be resolving itself at lightning pace, and that's better than it being dragged out. And the meantime... bring out the popcorn!

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Probably Magic posted:

I'm not sure you should, this seems to be resolving itself at lightning pace, and that's better than it being dragged out. And the meantime... bring out the popcorn!

Yeah if things go right this could be like ripping off a band aid instead of letting the pain last forever. Sure you'll put up with some sort of bad interim coach but odds are good they won't make you want to hire them permanently out of that staff.

I guess hate the idea of hiring Urban in the first place, yeah that's pretty legit because anyone paying attention knew what he was.

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

Yeah this is way better than going into year three of urban Meyer thinking whatever incremental improvements made over his time there will culminate into anything meaningful

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Okay? I'm not saying it wasnt. Pasaluski saying "Jacksonville is no prize even for an ambitious OC." is hilariously stupid because deserving candidates take worse opportunities all the time. Like anyone taking a Browns job or Joe Cully taking the Houston job.

i forgot the Texans actually had a coach until i read this post

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Grittybeard posted:

I guess hate the idea of hiring Urban in the first place, yeah that's pretty legit because anyone paying attention knew what he was.
Yeah I didnt like the idea and now, well, here we are.

PupsOfWar posted:

i forgot the Texans actually had a coach until i read this post
yeah at first I thought he was a designated fall guy like motherfucking Jim Tomsula but then I read a thing about how cool and good Cully is so despite him being the coach of the Texans I hope he does alright for himself.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

it rules that not only is urban loving up in every way conceivable, but he's really sad about it too

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Urban is mentally ill so I’m not going to say gently caress him but I will feel it.

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

Elephanthead posted:

Urban is mentally ill so I’m not going to say gently caress him but I will feel it.

Is he depressed he's so wealthy?

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

I don’t follow college football, so before this year I only knew of “Urban Meyer” as an abstract name that got floated as a possible NFL HC hire every year. I didn’t even know what he looked like and for some reason I thought he was way older.

Wow. :stare:

So everyone thinks his :master: plan, even before the butthole incident, was to somehow peace out and go coach USC or something. My question is - why would anyone - college, NFL, whatever - hire this dude after all this? Like, what is he good at?

And if the answers “recruiting,” why wouldn’t you assume your school would have a major scandal with this man recruiting players for you? Like, he seems like the type to hire prostitutes for high school seniors or something.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

seiferguy posted:

When was the last time we had a player coach?

Officially, Dan Reeves was a player-assistant coach through the 1971 season with Dallas. Looks like the lead player-head coach was Ernie Nevers in 1931. George Halas and Curly Lambeau had been the same in recent years.

Not that it matters because NFL salary cap rules forbid it from happening in an official named capacity now.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

And if the answers “recruiting,” why wouldn’t you assume your school would have a major scandal with this man recruiting players for you? Like, he seems like the type to hire prostitutes for high school seniors or something.

Well if nothing else, this paragraph really emphasizes this

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

I don’t follow college football,

opening clause. There are many distinct reasons why I no longer follow college football. Urban will absolutely get hired, maybe not by SC but certainly by some program the next tier down. And they won't give a poo poo about the prostitutes unless and until he gets caught, because it will make them a ton of money. Hell, they'd be lucky if prostitutes is all it is coughbaylorcough

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

I don’t follow college football, so before this year I only knew of “Urban Meyer” as an abstract name that got floated as a possible NFL HC hire every year. I didn’t even know what he looked like and for some reason I thought he was way older.

So everyone thinks his :master: plan, even before the butthole incident, was to somehow peace out and go coach USC or something. My question is - why would anyone - college, NFL, whatever - hire this dude after all this? Like, what is he good at?

He’s behind only Nick Saban as the most successful college coach of the modern era. Plenty of schools don’t care if he’s a lovely human being as long as he wins a title. Big schools never get caught doing the really shady stuff anyway, either because they don’t have to or because they can afford better bagmen.

As far as what he’s good it, it’s recruiting and finding assistants.

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Boosters love big names no matter how hilariously obvious it won't work out in the long run. Petrino went back to Louisville after loving up at Arkansas and was fired a few years later

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

So everyone thinks his :master: plan, even before the butthole incident, was to somehow peace out and go coach USC or something.

This isn't actually a thing

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Because money and football. The USC job didn't open till the season started. Every college football coach is a massive scumbag it's just a matter of whether or not they've made the news. Even then it's how recently.

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

Urban to FSU or Miami make more sense than USC anyways

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
^^--if this is coming from a crootin' standpoint he's a unicorn, so I wouldn't worry about geography if I were USC. Successful in Pac 12 country before Utah was even in the Pac 12, the SEC, and the Big 10. I'd feel dirty hiring him, but if he sucked there I don't think that would be the reason.

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

I think after this if he actually does go out like Petrino he's getting to the point where you've gotta sell boosters a little more on him at the NCAA level, but he's won everywhere he's been in college. And won a whole hell of a lot. Way more than Petrino who didn't have trouble finding a power 5 job.

Yeah he'll leave you in the lurch eventually (or at Ohio State have a scandal that pushes him out at exactly the right time to lock up Ryan Day), and it will be embarrassing. But from what we know so far the ride will be fun and include national championships or making a whole lot of national championship type noise.

For his own sanity and more importantly all of ours though I hope he just retires and I never have to hear about him again.

e: I should note that Urban has mostly avoided the typical recruiting scandals and such. His things are more like...ignore possible murders by his players, ignore ongoing public domestic violence by one of his coaches that he likes, lie about his health/and or almost die after every loss.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Oct 6, 2021

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Chucktesla posted:

Urban to FSU or Miami make more sense than USC anyways

USC is the most attractive of those three and I’m assuming they’re finally done with trying to get the old Pete Carroll band back together.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Chucktesla posted:

Boosters love big names no matter how hilariously obvious it won't work out in the long run. Petrino went back to Louisville after loving up at Arkansas and was fired a few years later

And he only got fired from Louisville because he did the same thing there he did everywhere; not recruit a single defensive player

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

What kind of name is "Urban" anyway?

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

fsif posted:

What kind of name is "Urban" anyway?

behindthename.com says:

From the Latin name Urbanus meaning "city dweller". This name is mentioned briefly in one of Paul's epistles in the New Testament.

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

Isn't USC supposed to be a prestigious school? Rich people were paying to get their kids enrolled through the backdoor, risking jail and their stellar business reputations.

Like who would do that to get their kids into FSU?

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Fate Accomplice posted:

behindthename.com says:

From the Latin name Urbanus meaning "city dweller". This name is mentioned briefly in one of Paul's epistles in the New Testament.

More specifically, it took on the specific connotation of the city of Rome. There were many Pope Urbans.

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

half cocaine posted:

Isn't USC supposed to be a prestigious school? Rich people were paying to get their kids enrolled through the backdoor, risking jail and their stellar business reputations.

No one but idk why that matters when it comes to college football

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

half cocaine posted:

People who grew up in LA call it the University of Spoiled Children so there’s your answer