Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Sorry to keep talking about The Miz. And I say this as someone who unashamedly likes him:

One of the big knocks on him is that whilst what he does well he actually does do very well. That thing is very narrow. He can't work face. At all. And over a 15 year career his character has barely evolved from annoying entitled arsehole, to annoying entitled arsehole who wears sunglasses.

I will also agree that his best position is in the mid card, and posit that because he has been pushed as a main eventer far too many times, that he looks worse than he actually is.

Also, whilst his in ring work is at best mediocre, I would also posit that is because he is the embodiment of WWE style. And he might be a little better than that *if* he wanted/was allowed to wrestle outside those parameters.

But saying all that, I am still always baffled at the amount of spite and venom he seems to get directed at him. Coz as I see it, at worst he is mediocre, blah, meh. But to people who hate him, they REALLY hate him, and project all their hatred of the mediocre WWE-style onto him. Which I think is a tiny bit unwarranted.

But then also maybe I am biased, coz I do unironically like the Miz and find him entertaining.

What is going unsaid here too is Maryse is also very good at what she does when she gets a chance to do it. Or, at least I think so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

maruhkati posted:

The CAW-looking dude from the first episode main event whose name escapes me.

Von Wagner???

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/raulisonline/status/1445547207713648640?s=20

https://twitter.com/JoelPearl/status/1445553422967590918?s=20

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

You can't convince me this isn't Merle from The Walking Dead

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID

Drakkel posted:

Von Wagner???

That sounds vaguely correct.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
NXT 2.0

Finish to Mandy vs Ember
https://streamja.com/EZA2n

Halloween Havoc returns to NXT on October 26th
"Challenge Accepted!" Bron Breakker vs Tommaso Ciampa for the NXT Title
https://streamja.com/kqA0y

"Are those his measurements?"
https://streamja.com/4WLEd

Superstar scores a huge upset
https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/q29qym/nxt_spoilers_superstar_scores_a_huge_upset/

Tony D'Angelo makes his entrance
https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/q2a4x9/nxt_spoilers_tony_dangelo_makes_his_entrance/
Finish to Tony D'Angelo debut match
https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/q2a6zo/nxt_spoilers_finish_to_tony_dangelo_debut_match/

Finish to Mei Ying vs. Indi Hartwell
https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/q2acia/nxt_spoilers_finish_to_mei_ying_vs_indi_hartwell/

Finish to NXT Tag Team Title Match - MSK vs. Grizzled Young Veterans vs. Carmelo Hayes & Trick Williams vs. Josh Briggs & Brooks Jensen
https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/q2axbp/nxt_spoilers_finish_to_nxt_tag_team_title_match/

Next week
-Tommaso Ciampa vs Joe Gacy. If Gacy wins, he's added to the NXT title match at Halloween Havoc
-Kyle O'Reilly and Von Wagoner vs Pete Dunne and Ridge Holland
-Isiah "Swerve" Scott vs Santos Escobar, NXT North American title match

Digital Jedi fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Oct 6, 2021

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
Dude doesn't even look like a CAW, he looks like the blank slate you have before making one

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

God drat it, I said Tony should buy the best friends that Goosebumps theme. This is not what I asked for

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Tony D'Angelo is even more of a stupid outdated stereotype than I even imagined it could be. Wow.

Watched the clips on mute for now, is his move a Fisherman Neckbreaker because his opponents sleep with the fishes?

I love how the crowd is all doing the hand sign because I assume they all also know how loving dumb this is and are just sarcastically cheering for him.

Ganso Bomb fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Oct 6, 2021

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

The faces he makes while posting are inexcusable! When he writes a post his face is like a troll double checking bones to see if there's any meat left! When I post I look like a peacock softly kissing a rose! Didn't his parents provide him with a posting mirror to practice forums faces growing up?
The only TV I've been watching since mid August has been wrestling and the sopranos and the streams are starting to cross

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

The Young Luther Chronicles

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Y’all are being insulting to poor Luther

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Bononi said the same thing

Chris Hero is unrecognizable but at least he looks happy

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Billy Corgan doing some undercover talent scouting

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019

Hoodslam's James C did it better

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Pamela Springstein posted:

He looks like the guitarist of a grind band who practice in a basement covered in empty Hamms cans.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I just found out the sad nxt guy was Parker Boudreaux.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Pamela Springstein posted:

Bononi said the same thing

You shut your mouth. Fat Chris Hero has always been the best Chris Hero.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I think WWE relies too much on its history. For example:

Once at a dinner party, the woman sitting next to him said she bet that if she wasn't down with that, he had two words for her. Coolidge then famously responded: "Suck it".

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I love that we needed NXT 2.0 so people could get characters and stories and of course that means really cheap looking gimmicks. Vince is back.

https://twitter.com/WWENXT/status/1445551777647001607

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Friendship ended with mafia guy, now poker player is my favourite nxt 2.0 wrestler.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
It really is like NXT got sucked back into like 1994

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

MassRafTer posted:

I love that we needed NXT 2.0 so people could get characters and stories and of course that means really cheap looking gimmicks. Vince is back.

https://twitter.com/WWENXT/status/1445551777647001607

This vignette ruled. It was this guy talking about the psychological advantage of being a professional poker player and how he brought those skills to the wrestling ring, but all the B-roll footage was just him in a lovely vest and one other faceless person at a big table in this void of a room where the guy had to deal the cards himself

WWF shotgun spraying gimmick ideas is unironically the best strategy for producing (mostly ironically) watchable content

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
tony d'angelo has nothing on the f.b.i.

where's tony mamaluke when you need him?

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

WWE finally has signed The Gambler Jr. and I am here for it.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

who give a fuuuuuuuuuuuuu

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Drakkel posted:

It really is like NXT got sucked back into like 1994

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.

xbilkis posted:

This vignette ruled. It was this guy talking about the psychological advantage of being a professional poker player and how he brought those skills to the wrestling ring, but all the B-roll footage was just him in a lovely vest and one other faceless person at a big table in this void of a room where the guy had to deal the cards himself

WWF shotgun spraying gimmick ideas is unironically the best strategy for producing (mostly ironically) watchable content

I'm not even against it as a booking philosophy, if it's going to be WWE's new identity, I'd just prefer if it was consistent. But it feels like this style has failed before.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
being a poker player is useful in wrestling cause what if your opponent notices your “im gonna hit my finishing move on this guy” face and counters you

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

some random quotes from the F4W writeup of this show:

F4W posted:

It is hilarious that Breakker is a Steiner with a capital S, looking like his father, wrestling like a Steiner and cutting promos just like Scott, yet everyone on TV is banned from stating the obvious. The WWE Universe is a universe completely disconnected from ours.

[...]

Cora Jade, whose gimmick is "skateboarder", is up next.

Duke Hudson is now a professional poker player. In Duke’s Poker Room, we don’t discriminate, you see. THIS IS 1990s WWF SUPERSTARS.

[...]

D’Angelo is not ready for NXT TV by any stretch of the imagination.

[...]

I said this on Twitter as the show was going on, but this was like if WCW Nitro booked by Vince Russo had a lovechild with 1992 WWF Superstars. Goofy gimmicks, wrestlers not even close to being ready for national television, 2 minute matches and lots of tall, good-looking people are all over this show. It’s hard to absorb anything when so much happens. I think it’s the end result of a bunch of corporate people plus Kevin Dunn and Bruce Prichard trying to figure out how to draw in the 18-49 demographic. This is what they think will work. I guess we’ll see if they’re right.

On the plus side, we have some things announced for Halloween Havoc in a few weeks and there’s a clear direction. So there’s that. The old NXT guard isn’t going to like this. But WWE doesn’t want the old NXT guard. They’ve given that floor to AEW to run away with after years of attempting, and utterly failing, to thwart them. WWE corporate wants...this. And this is what they’ll get.

So that sounded like an unfun trainwreck.

I give NXT 2.0 a year from now before it's cancelled.

Venomous fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Oct 6, 2021

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
he says player but his tacky vest says dealer

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
They should have called up every single person in NXT that was there before the 2019 prime time move. So basically if you’ve been in NXT for two years, you’re going to Raw or Smackdown.

There is just no need for them. They all seem out of place with so many new green people.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Venomous posted:

some random quotes from the F4W writeup of this show:

So that sounded like an unfun trainwreck.

I give NXT 2.0 a year from now before it's cancelled.

hahaha @ you thinking it's gonna last a year.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Taya is already losing matches? Huh.

Congrats to Santos Escobar on his upcoming title win.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Tony D'Angelo is everything I ever wanted from wrestling

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
If they find a way to get Phil Hellmuth involved with Duke Hudson I might start watching this garbage

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

also, lmao that Gargano's contract expires in less than two months and he hasn't wrestled at all for the past five weeks

I get that a large part of those five weeks was about shooting the InDex wedding angle, but goddamn, at least do something with the guy while you still have him in the Fed, because he's a perfectly competent wrestler (even if I don't particularly want to see him wrestling again)

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
yea but the goon phil helmuth; whatever his name was, (fragmaster maybe?)

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Nick Jr. Face posted:

If they find a way to get Phil Hellmuth involved with Duke Hudson I might start watching this garbage

You gave me a bad beat, now I’m going to give you a bad beating! -Bill Filmaff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

Just have Hellmuth manage Duke but have Duke lose every time. The whole draw is watching Hellmuth lose his poo poo after talking a big game.