Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

COVID-19: Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine effectiveness wanes to 47% against infection after six months

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-pfizer-biontech-vaccine-effectiveness-wanes-to-47-against-infection-after-six-months-12426406

I DEMAND the government give me access to the superior AstraZeneca vaccine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Eat poo poo thin bloods :agesilaus:

Lolie posted:

I feel like if Novovax was approved here she'd be waiting for some other vaccine which isn't.

Absolutely. The vaccine is always greener on the other side of the fence.

StrangeThing
Aug 23, 2021

by Hand Knit
Meh, I'm not stressed. Gimme a Moderna booster and I'm good.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

If they were crying because they have a choice between vaccination and job.... well I dont have a single second of sympathy. And frankly I wouldn't want to work with them either.

Yeah, I wouldn't want to work with them either but I've realised over the last 2 years that some people really just don't keep up with the news at all, have no idea what's going on in general, and have been lied to

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

freebooter posted:

COVID-19: Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine effectiveness wanes to 47% against infection after six months

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-pfizer-biontech-vaccine-effectiveness-wanes-to-47-against-infection-after-six-months-12426406

This sort of thing is why we need a plan for boosters like, today

Edit; lol sky news

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
People are planning which booster they want? I was just going to shove my hand into a bag of random vaccines and take which ever one I can grab first.

Who doesn't love lucky draws!

(also other than "not the exact same one as your first two", has there been much published research into which booster is my effective with which first two. Thought it was still a bit to early into testing and what not for anyone to come up with to much of a solid conclusion on that yet?)

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
The boosters will be in a box with lucky dip written on it and you choose by sticking your hand in and whichever booster syringe is stuck in your hand when you pull it out is yours

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I'm double Pfizer'd and with absolutely no scientific rationale would quite happily get all the others jabbed into me one after another. Hell, mix 'em together in a bucket beforehand and just push them in at once.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
You should be able to get Astra if you've already got Pfizer, from what I've read it makes the efficacy go up by a factor of 10

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

Senor Tron posted:

I'm double Pfizer'd and with absolutely no scientific rationale would quite happily get all the others jabbed into me one after another. Hell, mix 'em together in a bucket beforehand and just push them in at once.

poo poo yeah. I'm coming up to six months since my second dose. If boosters aren't coming soon I'm going to do by best to just get vaccinated again - I'm not fussed with which honestly, Moderna would be cool though.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

bowmore posted:

You should be able to get Astra if you've already got Pfizer, from what I've read it makes the efficacy go up by a factor of 10

Yeah. Again with the massive proviso of I'm not a medical professional, and we've seen in the past 18 months how we should leave most of this talk up to those actually educated enough to know what they're talking about, it seems to make a lot of sense.

The Pfizer and Astra vaccines have completely different approaches to generating immunity, makes sense that when you stack them up they'd be complimentary.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
tipping the doctors office equivalent of a beer tray into one big syringe and shooting it into my dick behind the bio waste bins

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Senor Tron posted:

The Pfizer and Astra vaccines have completely different approaches to generating immunity, makes sense that when you stack them up they'd be complimentary.
They don't really use different approaches to generating immunity, both generate immunity by introducing spike protein into the body. Both deliver the spike protein by having it produced in situ using your own cellular machinery. The difference is in how they enter the cell and initiate that process.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

tipping the doctors office equivalent of a beer tray into one big syringe and shooting it into my dick behind the bio waste bins

using one of those Selleys' Epoxy double syringe kits to mix equal parts AZ and Pfizer to max my titers

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

freebooter posted:

the buried lede posted:

The authors acknowledged some limitations in their study, especially that they couldn't determine causal relationships between vaccination and COVID-19 outcomes because the vaccination status among the cohort wasn't randomised.

Yolo Swaggins Esq
Jan 29, 2015

oOoOoh 👀 a dapper little mouse🎩 🐀🕺🏻🕺🏻 a dAppER MoUSe🧐🐀 🚶🏿‍♂️🚶🏿‍♂️it’s a 🎩DAPPER mouse 👀✔️🐀🥾🏃🏽‍♂️🕺🏻🕺🏻🕺🏻🏃🏽‍♂️🐀💥
As long as I still get Pfizer titties from the mixed Vax soup, I am extremely for this approach

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Pretty poor design that AZ and Pfizer have stacking buffs but Moderna and Pfizer is a flat bonus really lazy.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

JBP posted:

Pretty poor design that AZ and Pfizer have stacking buffs but Moderna and Pfizer is a flat bonus really lazy.

Also having it in a generic syringe where it can easily be confused for a speed boost, or poison antidote. Should of definitely just of had it in like a purple potion or something.

How do they expect me to speedrun the hospital level when it's so hard to tell which is which!

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

quote:

The authors acknowledged some limitations in their study, especially that they couldn't determine causal relationships between vaccination and COVID-19 outcomes because the vaccination status among the cohort wasn't randomised.

Yeah but there's been a fair bit of evidence coming out in general that the Pfizer protection against symptomatic infection (as opposed to severe illness and hospitalisation which is the important part) seems to drop off as time goes by. And 47% protection against symptomatic infection is still better than 0%.

I remain hopeful that given how much time and effort is being devoted to vaccines of all stripes, we may have a much better mixture that offers better and longlasting protection in the next year or two. And maybe beyond that we might come up with something that grants sterilising immunity and we can actually get to work on wiping the loving thing out.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Still going to be a bloody long time though. Plenty of developing countries are still very close to 0% vaccinated.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

The cancer ward at Melbourne's Royal Children's Hospital has been designated a tier 1 exposure site, as Victoria records 1,420 new locally acquired COVID-19 cases and 11 more deaths.

jesus gently caress

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

loving how

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

quote:

ABC.
The hospital's chief executive Bernadette McDonald said a parent of a patient had visited before testing positive.

The ABC understands that person was on the cancer ward from Saturday to Monday.

Patients and their parents were told in a letter they must isolate for 14 days in their child's hospital room or at home if they are being discharged.
Oh god, I really hope a patient there doesn't get COVID.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

dr_rat posted:

People are planning which booster they want? I was just going to shove my hand into a bag of random vaccines and take which ever one I can grab first.

Who doesn't love lucky draws!

(also other than "not the exact same one as your first two", has there been much published research into which booster is my effective with which first two. Thought it was still a bit to early into testing and what not for anyone to come up with to much of a solid conclusion on that yet?)

I believe that the plan is that Moderna and Novavax will be mostly the booster jabs. AZ first / Moderna booster is the absolute best you can get altho a Pfizer booster is really drat good too with AZ. Novavax is supposed to be extremely good against Delta too.

Basically so far as far as I've read, any vaccine as a booster works and is approaching sterilization level immunity mostly because of the spread of time between shots - all the vaccines that are dual shot work better with a three month interval (AZ espeically) and the six month interval is pretty much perfect for reminding the immune system and not really dropping off in protection. Getting a population initial vaccinations fast was the idea with the three week interval that works with mRNA but as noted there is a dropoff of long term protection of symtomatic Covid, but not in actual breakthrough serious/hospitalisation cases

quote:

quote:

The cancer ward at Melbourne's Royal Children's Hospital has been designated a tier 1 exposure site

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
There was an outbreak in an oncology ward in Melbourne last year. Every time I had to go to hospital last year I was worried the same would happen here in Sydney.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
hope the kids in the cancer ward are fine, what a horrible situation and everyone must be so stressed out.

In more light hearted news, rumours are getting around that Barilaro knocked up his Senior Advisor... Barnaby Joyce's 22 year old daughter.

It's so absurd that I hope it is true. Also having 22 year old Senior Advisors is like the Mormon Church having 18 year old elders.

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

Pretty strong disconnect between people's reaction to the Children's Hospital thing and advocating for opening up which will mean, at the most conservative level, hundreds of covid-positive people walking through those halls with the same or lesser NPIs

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

quote:

Dominic Perrottet is speaking on ABC Breakfast now. He says announcements about the state’s revised reopening plan will be made later today, with mask wearing to go earlier than expected, but no changes will be made before Monday.

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...f08de9fa7784194

The devil is in the detail here. Yesterday the media was suggesting that masks will no longer be required in offices. Perrottet wants people back in offices to revive the nearby small businesses which depend on the foot traffic.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
At least hospitals have strict masking procedures so hopefully it didn't spread from the postitive parent.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Big Willy Style posted:

In more light hearted news, rumours are getting around that Barilaro knocked up his Senior Advisor... Barnaby Joyce's 22 year old daughter.

what

I'll believe it if Friendly Jordies reports on it, because no one else in the Media is going to.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

haha is this a direct violation of the bonk ban

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
https://twitter.com/jmodoh/status/1445854055033565189

NSW presser at 9am.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
NSW is gonna expire the mask mandate.

go_banana
Oct 13, 2010

ABC posted:

NSW Premier Dominic Perrottet has announced a set of "major changes" to the NSW roadmap out of COVID-19 lockdown, including doubling the cap on household visitors from Monday.

From Monday, October 11, fully vaccinated people will be given more freedoms, including:

10 adults will be allowed to gather in homes (was previously five)
30 adults will be allowed to gather in public outdoor spaces (was previously 20)
Indoor pools will be reopened
Increase the cap for weddings and funerals to 100 people (previously 50)
Some highlights for the Monday after NSW his 80 per cent double dose coverage include:

Face masks not required in office buildings
20 adults will be allowed to gather in homes
50 people will be allowed to gather outdoors
3,000 people will be able to attend ticketed outdoors events
Yesterday, NSW became the first Australian state to fully vaccinate 70 per cent of its population aged 16 and above against COVID-19.

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...
Opus die

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
https://twitter.com/Ro_Smith/status/1445880365873123328

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I have a really bad feeling about all this

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
10 people at household gatherings. Have fun!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Helith posted:

Yeaaaahhhhhhhh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Helith posted:

It's not as bad as I had feared but switching the focus to the economy before we've even reached the last part of the plan is going to make people believe that Health is being sidelined.

Someone from Health needs to be at every presser to keep the vaccination momentum going. Neither Hazzard no Perrottet are suitable for that role.