Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Has anybody managed to get to Mars within the current time limit? At this stage it seems vaguely impossible. I guess if you bee-line all the science civs it might work, but that'll make your civ useless with really poo poo production so how would you manage to complete those tasks in time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

H13 posted:

Has anybody managed to get to Mars within the current time limit? At this stage it seems vaguely impossible. I guess if you bee-line all the science civs it might work, but that'll make your civ useless with really poo poo production so how would you manage to complete those tasks in time?

How many districts are you building? Are you connecting territories to your cities? Even without production cultures, your cities should have 1000 production per turn and tons of science by the Contemporary era.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

H13 posted:

I find that it usually takes less time to just finish the tech tree than it does to complete the space victory

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
To goons to pay attention :

Do the mammoths die off in later eras? Are there finite mammoths and humankind kills them all off?

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
I think they are removed from the game without fanfare once you leave the neolithic era.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
There needs to be a late-game event to spend science to bring mammoths back. I do not know what this would achieve.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Wipfmetz posted:

I think they are removed from the game without fanfare once you leave the neolithic era.

I've definitely seen mammoths in the Ancient era. I suspect they stop spawning at some point, but they don't vanish off the map. Maybe they vanish when everyone has left the Neolithic, I'm not sure.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

Tree Bucket posted:

There needs to be a late-game event to spend science to bring mammoths back. I do not know what this would achieve.
It would achieve mammoths.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Mammoths provide both food and stability. And science.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Tree Bucket posted:

It would achieve mammoths

e: gently caress'S sake

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
And yet, neither of you thought to say, "it would be a mammoth achievement."

My first game's victory was the space race. I don't think I even had a production culture in any era. They're shared projects, so they build really fast.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I don't think the AI understands districts very well at all. Or maybe just not how to exploit them. One player somehow got to the contemporary era way ahead of everyone including me, and then just....stopped. It took me ages to catch up but as soon as I did I could just poo poo out research districts and upgrades and the science graph went vertical and I won 10 turns later.

I suppose I was playing as the Swedes where the emblematic district gives like +200 science but still.

Also whenever I conquer somewhere it has a small number of them Vs mega city one for me, and hardly any buildings, so what the hell is the AI doing with its production?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
It probably just doesn't prioritise production the way a human player will. Even if your end goal is a city that makes lots of science, you still need to build a bunch of production first so you can build your science districts in a timely manner. The AI probably just goes straight to the science districts and spends 40 turns building one.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

AnEdgelord posted:

I find that it usually takes less time to just finish the tech tree than it does to complete the space victory
yeah before i knew that you could win by finishing the tree, i completed the tech tree a few turns before i was gonna hit mars

currently, my "optimal" path through the game is:

egypt -> celts -> khmer -> mughals -> french -> turks

as many have stated, production is the most important thing because it gets you everything else, and i think mayans are the worst production culture, so it's best to get my food base from the celts. usually around the late medieval/early modern eras, my production is insane and my cities are stable so i just start building research quarters/commons quarters until i just can't fit any more/run out of stability. hitting the industrial era and getting the french is usually where the line on the graph tracking my science per turn goes almost completely vertical where it just keeps shooting up til the end. by this point i've already won and it's just a matter of finishing up the turns.

gotten to the point where beating the game on humankind difficulty is trivial, assuming i made it into the medieval era without getting too messed up. though i will say, i wasn't aware of the whole ai behaviors thing and throwing in some real rear end in a top hat ai's has made the early/mid game much more interesting. i'd love to do some lategame wars, shoot off some nukes, but every game i've played it's been easier (and much, much faster) to just keep building research quarters and finish the tech tree. so far all my wins have come from finishing the tree, so i'll probably start changing up my wincons or something.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

What do you do as Egypt? Build a pyramid in every territory and then surround it with maker's districts?

And what do you do if you can't get Egypt?

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Gort posted:

What do you do as Egypt? Build a pyramid in every territory and then surround it with maker's districts?

You just build pyramids around places and if you can't get Egypt build your unique district then makers quarters then get food as you need it then more maker's quarters then get infrastructure if stability is in the garbage or the iterative benefit outweighs a new quarter then win!

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Gort posted:

for a disclaimer, i tend to play on the slowest speed. i think the pace of the game is waaay too fast otherwise (a win under turn 100 is not that hard) so any numbers i give will be mostly based on the slower speed.

in the ancient era, i will often not build a single non-emblematic district. focus first on building pyramids in every territory, prioritizing food and science on my cities. ideally i picked the "+1 science per population" neolithic trait, because i'm gonna be pretty science starved early. from here, everything is gonna depend on circumstances. if my pop/food-per-turn isn't bad, i may try to crank out a few military squads to harass/conquer my nearest neighbors if they're behind. if you got through neolithic fast enough, there may be a neighbor who has a 0 pop city that you can easily take over which is a huge early game boost. if i'm super isolated from anyone else, i'll just focus on getting my pyramids up, expanding, and build valuable infrastructure (specifically production, food, and influence infrastructure. science infrastructure can wait a bit but is also important.)

just having a pyramid built in every territory, on top of the innate egyptian bonus, is plenty of production early. the ancient era is all about establishing your foothold for the rest of the game. if you scope out the nearby AI's and they are behind/low on troops, take a city or two. i very, very rarely ever spend influence to build a city, at least until you hit the upgrade that automatically gives your new cities all the previous infrastructure.

the main reason i think egyptians are overall the best first choice is how versatile they are. you can isolate or be aggressive and be set up well for the future. harappans are good, but i always feel production starved in the ancient era when i pick them, and i feel the celts scale much better into the late game.

as for what i do if i can't get egypt, i honestly could not tell you. i genuinely cannot remember the last time i got to the ancient era and egyptians were not available. the harappans would be my second choice, but it's hard for me to imagine the egyptians being gone but not the harappans. if i can't get either of those two, i'd settle for zhou (assuming i have 2 or 3 good spots for their district), mycenae, olmecs, or maybe babylon. the problems with zhou and babylon are that you can find yourself with a huge science lead but no production to take advantage of it. similarly with mycenae, a military bonus does not do you well if you don't have pop and production to field an army. i need to try out the olmecs more but they seem really good, especially if you have a bunch of open territory early.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

cams posted:

as for what i do if i can't get egypt, i honestly could not tell you. i genuinely cannot remember the last time i got to the ancient era and egyptians were not available. the harappans would be my second choice, but it's hard for me to imagine the egyptians being gone but not the harappans. if i can't get either of those two, i'd settle for zhou (assuming i have 2 or 3 good spots for their district), mycenae, olmecs, or maybe babylon. the problems with zhou and babylon are that you can find yourself with a huge science lead but no production to take advantage of it. similarly with mycenae, a military bonus does not do you well if you don't have pop and production to field an army. i need to try out the olmecs more but they seem really good, especially if you have a bunch of open territory early.

Do you cycle your opponents very much? I have a theory that different AI opponents prefer different cultures.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
with egypt you need to build your emblematic pyramids everywhere, then save up to get the great pyramid, and then you've effectively won the game at that point with a 1/3 permanent discount on makers quarters

otherwise harappa so you can both grow cities and field an army, or zhou if you've got mountains immediately nearby and can drop your quarter on them for a huge early science boost, or mycenae if you want to scoop out your city pops for an early rush or you want to set a good foundation for a later rush with the huns. even if you don't fight AS mycenae you can spam your quarter which is both an extra-effective makers quarter and a big boost to stability

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Gort posted:

Do you cycle your opponents very much? I have a theory that different AI opponents prefer different cultures.
this is probably the case as i only figured out the whole ai preferences thing recently, so only the last couple games i've played changed it up. noticed the same usual first picks (harappa, mycenae, and nubia for whatever reason) in those games but i agree with you that ai preferences will change what gets taken.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

with egypt you need to build your emblematic pyramids everywhere, then save up to get the great pyramid, and then you've effectively won the game at that point with a 1/3 permanent discount on makers quarters

otherwise harappa so you can both grow cities and field an army, or zhou if you've got mountains immediately nearby and can drop your quarter on them for a huge early science boost, or mycenae if you want to scoop out your city pops for an early rush or you want to set a good foundation for a later rush with the huns. even if you don't fight AS mycenae you can spam your quarter which is both an extra-effective makers quarter and a big boost to stability

Yeah Mycenae are easily my favorite because they get some great bonuses AND the ability to just delete any pesky neighbors if you wish. But even if you never see another person they are still amazing.

GB Luxury Hamper
Nov 27, 2002

H13 posted:

I've managed to build the Mars colony just fine, but I've never had had the victory trigger correctly. The popup doesn't have the correct text and the game just continues.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Everytime I get where a Mars launch is possible, I tend to be blowing through the science trees. So far all my victory triggers been from researching everything

Yuran M. Bazil
Jun 20, 2008

jkk posted:

I've managed to build the Mars colony just fine, but I've never had had the victory trigger correctly. The popup doesn't have the correct text and the game just continues.

Yeah I have this exact same glitch. Pretty much every game I've got the Mars colony, but the pop-up has the text from whatever the last event I got and the game doesn't end. Its really weird. At least at the difficulty I've played the contemporary era is basically a victory lap anyway so its kind of whatever, but still annoying

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

World Famous W posted:

Everytime I get where a Mars launch is possible, I tend to be blowing through the science trees. So far all my victory triggers been from researching everything

Play with Last Human Standing victory condition, others end so fast they don't even give you an opportunity to start a nuclear war.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Simultaneous turns are really starting to piss me off. They make positioning in war basically impossible vs the AI since they can immediately make the best moves whenever a turn starts

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

That only matters on the very first turn of the war, though, right? The AI moves first on the first turn, then it's your go, then they go, then you go etc.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Except when you go to assault a city but the AI immediately attacks you before you can click the attack jutton after sieging.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Gort posted:

That only matters on the very first turn of the war, though, right? The AI moves first on the first turn, then it's your go, then they go, then you go etc.

I mean on the regular map, not the battleground

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It is really obnoxious when you're trying to move two stacks, and the AI sees you move the first one and immediately reacts and sends out an army to fight it before you can move your second stack. Gotta move your armies one tile at a time so they can always back each other up lmao

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It is really obnoxious when you're trying to move two stacks, and the AI sees you move the first one and immediately reacts and sends out an army to fight it before you can move your second stack. Gotta move your armies one tile at a time so they can always back each other up lmao

YES!!!! So annoying

Kerrek
Dec 17, 2004
Liking this game a lot but having trounced the AI on Humankind difficulty it definitely needs some balance tweaks. My suggestions:

- Countering the exponential returns on Maker's Quarters with some sort of waste/corruption mechanic. There needs to be some sort of brake on churning out so much industry, maybe make corruption proportional to the second-highest produced resource in a city to encourage some diversification.
- Making happiness/stability a bigger deal. Would also work as a check on Maker's Quarters spam. It would be easy to implement something like 'The stability bonus from luxuries occurs from having AT LEAST one, not per instance." No reason for a civ to be twice as happy because they have two sources of saffron.
- Make the increasing influence costs of civics be per wedge rather than per individual civic, rebalance as necessary. I've had many games where I didn't feel the need to commit to Army Wages during the Ancient Era, and suddenly it costs 15k influence to decide if I want an extra 100 money from a ransack. Maybe add a Fame bonus for completely maxing out a wedge.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

New patch is coming on October 28. It will "try to address the rapid increase in the game’s pace in the mid to late game discussed by the community as well as some of the most discussed concerns about balance between cultures". Tech costs for the late game will probably go up, and the Khmer are getting nerfed.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

I'm excited about being able to adjust resource abundance to my liking.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I just want to experience the industrial and contemporary eras properly without them lasting a cumulative total of 20 turns

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Trying out the game through Gamepass: I went Harappan -> Celt -> English since I generally like building tall in 4Xs. Food and production started going wild in late Classical -> Medieval Era, and judging from those patch notes, explosive growth in mid-late game seems to be an issue.

On a related note: does building more districts increase the production cost per district? I noticed that when I got to the English, their unique district is one per territory, activates food production in surrounding hexes, is a defensive bastion, and even increases stability instead of deducting it. I could straight up spam them everywhere since most areas tend to have some cluster of plain farmland, and this felt kinda OP.

EDIT: Also goddammit, just give me the totals for stability gain/loss, I don't need an individual breakdown of each component. Let me make my decisions on whether to build whatever stability building there is in order to stay above 90 quickly instead of having to do math, game!!!

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Oct 18, 2021

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

toasterwarrior posted:

On a related note: does building more districts increase the production cost per district?

Yes, but not by a lot.

GB Luxury Hamper
Nov 27, 2002

Did an "agricultural civs only" run while trying to get the 12/18 stars achievements...then found out that those achievements don't trigger properly. FFS. I hope this gets fixed in the upcoming patch.

I've noticed that the Zulus often have a rebellions in the late game, with a city or two breaking into independent realms. In this game several cities rebelled, resulting in half a large continent being covered in ruins. Even their starting city Mykene, with the Lighthouse wonder, was in ruins. And they still finished in second place.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Gort posted:

Yes, but not by a lot.

Thanks for the answer!

On another note, I've got two "meta" questions: do you guys space out your cities? Like maybe a territory between each of them? I recognize you probably want as many cities as possible in order to get more of those powerful infrastructure buildings up (libraries, etc) but it does seem like space eventually becomes a premium and independent cities clog up the space between empires pretty quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

You want as many cities as your city cap allows. Going over by one or two (or three) depending on your influence gain isn't bad, either (the first excess city is basically free except in the very early game). That said, you also want at least a couple attached territories per city, which lets you build more emblematic districts. I don't know if there are any hard and fast rules here, other than getting more cities is almost always preferable to spending all of your influence on attaching a fourth or fifth territory to one of your others. If you've run out of empty land to expand into, then, well, that only means one thing. :black101:

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Oct 18, 2021