Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Gaius Marius posted:

Yeah, but also the kinda people who know enough dumb WWII trivia to know what Pervitin is.

For what its worth I had to google it :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Omnicrom posted:

and Gundam I've heard apocryphally is "A weapon (gun) that can hold back a war (dam)"

No, it’s a portmanteau of gun and freedom. :911:

On the topic of Gundam watchthrough podcasts, if you want something less dry and more leftist than Mobile Suit Breakdown, Great Gundam Project’s MSG season is free now.

Ojjeorago fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Oct 6, 2021

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Ibblebibble posted:

I think watching the opening crawl once is alright, it does a proper setup of the situation.

I think you need to see it every episode, because while the first ten or so episodes have the same opening narration the narration changes after that quite often and includes a good deal of the background and world-building for the setting. There's no plot relevant details in the opening narrations, but there's also no spoilers for the upcoming episode so far as I recall either, and you do miss a good bit of little details if you skip them entirely. The opening narration is the only place the colony drop is ever mentioned, for one thing. It's also the only place you'll ever hear about the destruction of the other Sides, where it's established that Side 3 itself has barely been touched by the war etc. Yeah, there's some repetition early on, since, as I said, the first ten or twelve episodes have the same narration; I'm pretty sure most episodes after that have their own specific one though.

Ibblebibble posted:

Also, if you like podcasts, the extremely good Mobile Suit Breakdown podcast goes through the current events in Japan and the world when the anime was first made, and does deep dives into various topics related to stuff in the episode, by an episode-by-episode basis. They also have a strict no-spoiler policy, don't watch the next episode previews and are watching the series in chronological release order too, so I think they're a pretty good accompaniment to the show.

I subscribed to The Great Gundam Project by Abnormal Mapping months ago after someone mentioned it, since it's only a dollar a month for the Patreon sub, but I only actually started listening to it in the last week or so and have gotten through a few episodes so far, but they have a much different take on the show in some ways than I would have had. I'm not sure I can really see where they're coming from with some stuff, or agree with the idea that Amuro is so insular specifically as a reaction to the death toll of the One Year War rather than because he's an introverted teen engineering nerd as an example, but it's interesting to hear such different takes on the material at the same time. Mobile Suit Breakdown is a lot more interesting though, because all the Great Gundam Project people do is just recount the plot and give their take on it, while the Breakdown crew tend to go into a lot of the background and production detail, the social significance of stuff, the history informing it etc.

I'm also not sure I'd describe it as "less dry" as Ojjeorago above did, since as I said, all they really do is describe the plot of a given episode(s), and then give their take on the events that transpired; at least from what I've listened to of it, which admittedly isn't much so far. I'd think that's more dry, or at least duller, if anything, since giving some background on the production process and thinking behind it from various sources too at least adds variety to proceedings, as well as giving some good insight on top of getting someone else's take on the work.

tsob fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Oct 6, 2021

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I should've specified that what I meant by Intro Crawl is the opening that shows random clips from the season, rather than the actual show portions. Might blitz 4-6 episodes tonight so this is gonna get crazy real fast.

Regarding names, there was always something I liked about Gundam Wing, of the characters I can remember. As for the Jeans trio... that's Awesome!

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I should've specified that what I meant by Intro Crawl is the opening that shows random clips from the season, rather than the actual show portions.

Wait do you mean the opening theme song?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I should've specified that what I meant by Intro Crawl is the opening that shows random clips from the season, rather than the actual show portions.

I genuinely don't even know what this refers to :confused:

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Are you talking about this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaZCptOcvAE

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Droyer posted:

Wait do you mean the opening theme song?

Yeah like, the song plays, it plays scenes from the season, then it cuts to Site 7 (Do they really call it Side 7?) and they explain the backstory with half of the Zeon/Federation populations dying in the first 7 months of the war.

Yes except I'm pretty sure mine has a less chaotic audio track to it.

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Oct 6, 2021

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Oh if it's whatever this garbage is then that's fine i guess. If you skip the original OP https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpMZH72vwdk we're gonna have words.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Yeah like, the song plays, it plays scenes from the season, then it cuts to Site 7 (Do they really call it Side 7?) and they explain the backstory with half of the Zeon/Federation populations dying in the first 7 months of the war.

It's Side, yeah. Also, the "half of each side's population is dead" line is a mistranslation, and it should be something like "half of humanity is dead" i.e. half the total population across all Sides, with no regard for how much of either side that means proportionally. In reality, Zeon has a much smaller population, most of whom aren't civilians and weren't targeted in any kind of civilian attacks on Sides, so it's almost all Federation citizens in the various other Sides that were destroyed and people who died on Earth when the colony hit.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

tsob posted:

I think you need to see it every episode, because while the first ten or so episodes have the same opening narration the narration changes after that quite often and includes a good deal of the background and world-building for the setting. There's no plot relevant details in the opening narrations, but there's also no spoilers for the upcoming episode so far as I recall either, and you do miss a good bit of little details if you skip them entirely. The opening narration is the only place the colony drop is ever mentioned, for one thing. It's also the only place you'll ever hear about the destruction of the other Sides, where it's established that Side 3 itself has barely been touched by the war etc. Yeah, there's some repetition early on, since, as I said, the first ten or twelve episodes have the same narration; I'm pretty sure most episodes after that have their own specific one though.

I subscribed to The Great Gundam Project by Abnormal Mapping months ago after someone mentioned it, since it's only a dollar a month for the Patreon sub, but I only actually started listening to it in the last week or so and have gotten through a few episodes so far, but they have a much different take on the show in some ways than I would have had. I'm not sure I can really see where they're coming from with some stuff, or agree with the idea that Amuro is so insular specifically as a reaction to the death toll of the One Year War rather than because he's an introverted teen engineering nerd as an example, but it's interesting to hear such different takes on the material at the same time. Mobile Suit Breakdown is a lot more interesting though, because all the Great Gundam Project people do is just recount the plot and give their take on it, while the Breakdown crew tend to go into a lot of the background and production detail, the social significance of stuff, the history informing it etc.

I'm also not sure I'd describe it as "less dry" as Ojjeorago above did, since as I said, all they really do is describe the plot of a given episode(s), and then give their take on the events that transpired; at least from what I've listened to of it, which admittedly isn't much so far. I'd think that's more dry, or at least duller, if anything, since giving some background on the production process and thinking behind it from various sources too at least adds variety to proceedings, as well as giving some good insight on top of getting someone else's take on the work.

Does Breakdown ever stop having constant cuts? I tried listening to a few episodes and it felt like they’d have a musical note and a cut every two sentences which was infuriating.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

They're right

https://twitter.com/invaderalex/status/1445737578489999381?s=20

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

I have to wonder if this Toonami intro was partially responsible for the show tanking when it first aired in the USA. It's pretty lame. Also the Toonami ED is this bizarre techno remix of Pathetic But Decisive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXI77dCbDww

Compared to the original song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnpnzCjpwxA

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

I have to wonder if this Toonami intro was partially responsible for the show tanking when it first aired in the USA. It's pretty lame. Also the Toonami ED is this bizarre techno remix of Pathetic But Decisive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXI77dCbDww

Compared to the original song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnpnzCjpwxA

A lot of poo poo went into tanking the show. Gundam's breakout hit was Wing, and I've always thought the difference in tone and theme of Wing vs. 0079 gave audiences some weird expectations. Plus there's the whole 9/11 happening during the run, dated animation compared to what Toonami was generally running (90's era anime).

Jobbo_Fett is off to a good start. Though I'm surprised they have the version with the Toonami intro attached and not Tobe! Gundam!.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
yeah I think MSG looking like it does is why it bombed out in America

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Blockhouse posted:

MSG didn't have pretty boys like Wing nor DBZ-esque action like G, so that's another reason why.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
At least the dub was good.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Having Domon's English VA voice Amuro too was an inspired choice.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Neo_Crimson posted:

Having Domon's English VA voice Amuro too was an inspired choice.

What? They don't share a VA at all.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
G Gundam was dubbed by Bang Zoom, Ocean Studio did OG Gundam, Wing, CCA, SEED and 00. That's why Brad Swaile is everywhere.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Oct 6, 2021

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

What? They don't share a VA at all.

I double checked IMDB, and yeah I was wrong.

Dub Amuro had a really similar voice to Mark Gatha's Megaman X so that's probably where I got mixed up.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

0079 was always going to be a hard sell to the contemporary 2000s audience but how well did G actually do on TV in the states? We never got it over here, and weirdly one of the things I remember most from my trip to NY* in 2003 was seeing piles and piles of untouched windmill and mermaid gundam figures in almost every book and DVD store I looked in.

*New Yark, obviously

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Ethiser posted:

Does Breakdown ever stop having constant cuts? I tried listening to a few episodes and it felt like they’d have a musical note and a cut every two sentences which was infuriating.

Yeah things stabilize over time on the editing and production side.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

jackhunter64 posted:

0079 was always going to be a hard sell to the contemporary 2000s audience but how well did G actually do on TV in the states? We never got it over here, and weirdly one of the things I remember most from my trip to NY* in 2003 was seeing piles and piles of untouched windmill and mermaid gundam figures in almost every book and DVD store I looked in.

*New Yark, obviously

G wasn't quite as breakout popular as Wing, but it was very successful and was a fixture on Toonami for years.

The shitloads of G Gundam figures is one of the parts of the big western Gundam crash around that time, alongside stuff like the failure of Mobile Suit Gundam on Toonami. The figures in particular were due to Bandai optimistically overproducing tons of figures of basically every B-list mook in G Gundam and stores being forced to stock them because of how toy retail works - you don't put in an order for 10 Burning Gundam figures or whatever, you put in an order for 10 boxes of figures that contain a fixed selection - stuff like one Burning Gundam, two Maxter Gundams, two Bolt Gundams, four Mermaids, etc. Of course kids who wanted figures were buying the protagonist suits, which meant that to stock those retailers had to order more boxes, so they ended up with tons of the B-list suits sitting around unsold because absolutely no kid wanted to buy a loving Mermaid or Mandala or Windmill Gundam figure. This contributed to convincing retailers that Gundam figures weren't a good return on investment at the time.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Oct 6, 2021

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Also apropos of nothing I remember the G-Gundam figures being weirdly good. Like shiny gold painted versions of all the Hyper Mode suits, this giant rear end Dark Gundam figure with the crab body, the villain suits could combine into the Grand Master Gundam if you bought all of them, solidly built and had good articulation etc etc.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Neo_Crimson posted:

Also apropos of nothing I remember the G-Gundam figures being weirdly good. Like shiny gold painted versions of all the Hyper Mode suits, this giant rear end Dark Gundam figure with the crab body, the villain suits could combine into the Grand Master Gundam if you bought all of them, solidly built and had good articulation etc etc.

This was the era of the Mobile Suits In Action line which is widely regarded as one of the best action figure lines of Gundam toys. Honestly, I'm probably wearing nostalgia goggles but I remember the MISA figures being BETTER than their modern equivalents.

The Hyper Mode suits didn't sell that well IIRC. I know I was resistant to them myself--I preferred the more colorful normal mode suits or the Battle Scarred line because I was entering my edgy teenager years at the time.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Yeah once you got past the first couple of mediocre figures they did for Wing(which were weirdly chunky looking in proportions) the MSIA line pretty quickly establishes itself as one of the best action figure lines of all time

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

jackhunter64 posted:

*New Yark, obviously

I might do a bigger post on this later when I’m not at work, but it was reported that for the year~ G Gundam aired (I think August 2002 to August 2003), it’s ratings almost matched those of Gundam Wing at times and was the second highest rated Gundam show to air on Cartoon Network, which was good after MSG flopped the summer before. The problem was the toy line bombed beyond bombing as other people noted.

MSG failed because of the animation style and tone compared to Wing (And other anime at the time, like Dragonball stuff). It was a dated look and far more serious show, while Wing was batshit insane and had that distinctive mid-late 90s anime aesthetic which was a big thing with anime in general hitting wide exposure then. The UC toy line did very well in late 2001/early 2002 and the OVAs did reasonably well with their TV runs, particularly 08th MS Team, all of which kept Gundam from going completely under with MSG’s failed run (Only for the G Gundam line to basically do that a year later).

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

fartknocker posted:

I might do a bigger post on this later when I’m not at work, but it was reported that for the year~ G Gundam aired (I think August 2002 to August 2003), it’s ratings almost matched those of Gundam Wing at times and was the second highest rated Gundam show to air on Cartoon Network, which was good after MSG flopped the summer before. The problem was the toy line bombed beyond bombing as other people noted.

MSG failed because of the animation style and tone compared to Wing (And other anime at the time, like Dragonball stuff). It was a dated look and far more serious show, while Wing was batshit insane and had that distinctive mid-late 90s anime aesthetic which was a big thing with anime in general hitting wide exposure then. The UC toy line did very well in late 2001/early 2002 and the OVAs did reasonably well with their TV runs, particularly 08th MS Team, all of which kept Gundam from going completely under with MSG’s failed run (Only for the G Gundam line to basically do that a year later).

G's toyline hurt, but Gundam wasn't dead, or anywhere close.

The problem was that G was followed up in the US with Superior Defenders, which wasn't remotely what Gundam fans wanted at the time. Rating flopped, I saw the toyline in discount retailers pretty constantly, and the show didn't even air its back half on Toonami despite being shown in the US before Japan.

Then SEED got bad ratings too, and that was pretty much it for Gundam as a mainstream show in the United States until Iron Blooded Orphans.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I think 00 was decently popular in the US. But 2008-2009ish was between the two big anime boom periods in the west.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

The problem was that G was followed up in the US with Superior Defenders, which wasn't remotely what Gundam fans wanted at the time. Rating flopped, I saw the toyline in discount retailers pretty constantly, and the show didn't even air its back half on Toonami despite being shown in the US before Japan.

Then SEED got bad ratings too, and that was pretty much it for Gundam as a mainstream show in the United States until Iron Blooded Orphans.

To be fair SEED was all over the place with scheduling and had some of the goofiest censorship I can recall despite running after midnight.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Endorph posted:

I think 00 was decently popular in the US. But 2008-2009ish was between the two big anime boom periods in the west.

It did manage to finish its run on the Sci-Fi network, with Gurren Lagann in between seasons. However, it didn't have a US toyline, and I can't find hard data on the ratings.

It got some level of wide discussion, even if it didn't hit Gurren levels, and I know people who watched it, but it didn't seem to do much to push Gundam back into the western mainstream.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

chiasaur11 posted:

The failure of G's toyline maybe wasn't the killing blow, as Gundam didn't have one single event or action that hosed it up in the U.S., but it was a major failure hit and changed how all its toys and merchandise was handled. Gundam toys (Meaning like 97% the MSiA line) were a huge seller in 2001/2002. Gundam was getting treatment on par with things like Star Wars and Lego and other well established and successful brands due to the success of the Wing and UC MSiA figures that came up through the spring of 2002. G Gundam's line completely undid that and knocked Gundam from getting things like big displays in the front of stores or end sections of heavily trafficked areas (Places that toy departments would put big sellers and high demand items). They became notorious shelf warmers and Gundam stuff was promptly moved to back areas with stuff like bags of army men, off-brand GI Joes, and such that were never expected to draw in kids or do tons of sales. Gundam merchandise was never given the same promotion or advantageous retail space it had before G Gundam, and really ever recovered from that.

SD Gundam's failure, both in ratings and product sales, just continued the downward trend that was already well underway. SEED was barely promoted at all and was basically the last hurrah of any Gundam items in a lot of U.S. retailers (Target, Walmart, back then Toys R Us, etc), and when 00 aired in 2008-09, I don't think any merchandise was available in national chain. Places like Barnes & Noble and Borders always had DVDs/Blu-Ray, along with manga and whatnot, but I don't think Gunpla of any kind was widely available until Barnes & Nobles started selling some models and little figures somewhere in the 10s.

Endorph posted:

I don't think it did particularly well, but it aired at a weird timeslot on SyFy and they tried to cut a lot of it to fit more commercials. It definitely didn't do much to reverse previous failures or bring Gundam back close to where it was in 2000-2002.

ImpAtom posted:

To be fair SEED was all over the place with scheduling and had some of the goofiest censorship I can recall despite running after midnight.

It originally started airing at 10:30PM, but they knew from the beginning that it was going to end up airing after Midnight since there wasn't any way to make the content of the final few episodes work with what Cartoon Network was willing to air before midnight back then. Hitting TV right in the wake of people seeing two seconds Janet Jackson's covered nipple when idiots were questioning every piece of media content certainly didn't help matters, as that prompted a lot of the horrible censorship that was literally changing week by week. The infamous "disco guns" were not present when the show started airing that April, for example, and changed several times.

fartknocker fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Oct 6, 2021

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Droyer posted:

Oh if it's whatever this garbage is then that's fine i guess. If you skip the original OP https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpMZH72vwdk we're gonna have words.

GUUNNDAAA~~MUUU!

#0002 - Destroy Gundam!

Ok seriously every time they say Double 0 Seven Nine I expect a James Bond pun or character.

Bubble gel seems silly after playing games like Prey. Bright is not. Gun-cannon, Gun-tank. Mirai Yashima is the first to have a full name, she's dying in T minus 20 episodes. Gun-tank looks suspiciously like the Star Fox Landmaster (except in reverse).

*Doomguybangingtable.gif* CHILD SOLDIERS CHILD SOLDIERS

Holy gently caress Char just kicked a gun 20 feet away from him. God, Amuro's already gotten himself roped into an escort quest. Amuro hits two fast-moving torpedos at an oblique angle but can't hit Char and Co moving away in a straight line. I can't take Char seriously with that dumb helmet all the time.

I'm trying to keep some sense of wonder as to how groundbreaking/cool this would've been back in 79. Its pretty alright. Bright is the rear end in a top hat LT nobody ever liked who goes home and beats his wife, ya?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Bright is 19

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Bright slaps and gets slaps.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I'm :allears: to keep hearing where you go with this.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Warmachine posted:

A lot of poo poo went into tanking the show. Gundam's breakout hit was Wing, and I've always thought the difference in tone and theme of Wing vs. 0079 gave audiences some weird expectations. Plus there's the whole 9/11 happening during the run, dated animation compared to what Toonami was generally running (90's era anime).

Jobbo_Fett is off to a good start. Though I'm surprised they have the version with the Toonami intro attached and not Tobe! Gundam!.

Blockhouse posted:

This was probably true, but it doesn't track with my experience at all. I barely watched Wing, but got way way into MSG and G Gundam as a child, I was incredibly upset when they pulled MSG. I also thought Endless Waltz was boring as hell and turned it off to go play outside.

Kanos posted:

G wasn't quite as breakout popular as Wing, but it was very successful and was a fixture on Toonami for years.

The shitloads of G Gundam figures is one of the parts of the big western Gundam crash around that time, alongside stuff like the failure of Mobile Suit Gundam on Toonami. The figures in particular were due to Bandai optimistically overproducing tons of figures of basically every B-list mook in G Gundam and stores being forced to stock them because of how toy retail works - you don't put in an order for 10 Burning Gundam figures or whatever, you put in an order for 10 boxes of figures that contain a fixed selection - stuff like one Burning Gundam, two Maxter Gundams, two Bolt Gundams, four Mermaids, etc. Of course kids who wanted figures were buying the protagonist suits, which meant that to stock those retailers had to order more boxes, so they ended up with tons of the B-list suits sitting around unsold because absolutely no kid wanted to buy a loving Mermaid or Mandala or Windmill Gundam figure. This contributed to convincing retailers that Gundam figures weren't a good return on investment at the time.

I had a Mandela, Zebra, Tauros drat near every one of those goofier designs. They were crazy overstocked in K Marts and Shopkos back in the day. They really learned their lesson with that, It was nearly impossible to find SEED MSIA when that line came out.

The giant Devil Gundam wasn't as cool as it sounds the legs would always break off. The Bigro was cool as hell though

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
#0003 - Vote to Attack!

How does this old guy not know how many people are in his room?! I hate Bright, mr "I'm the Captain now!" Why is this voting scene so tense, they have more than 5 almost immediately. Surprisingly short episode, Musai's missile attack killed the Gundam.

*Fights the Red Comet for 5 minutes* "AH! It's Char!"

I love this loving Klingon-wannabe. Gottem

:rip: to a real one while Char jerks off in his Zaku waxxing philosophical.

Harro has to be a bad translation. Please tell me that's a bad translation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Gaius Marius posted:

Bright is 19

This does not improve my opinion of him.