Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Hmm, the Windows Update for Business part isn't there for me. I tried it in another section but it didn't do anything.

It might be pro-only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I tried turning off Windows Defender/Security Center in 11 while using 11 Pro. I did this using the normal GPEdit.msc. This does not work and you cannot turn off AV in Home and Pro at the very least. This is for a DAW type computer before anyone shits their pants.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Oh dear, took the plunge and didn't realize taskbar labels would be gone and not configurable to come back.

Big miss on my part:

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Have you guys been thanked recently for voluntarily beta testing a Microsoft OS for the rest of us?

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Hed posted:

Oh dear, took the plunge and didn't realize taskbar labels would be gone and not configurable to come back.

Big miss on my part:

Windows 11: Taskbar [thing] is gone and not configurable

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

doctorfrog posted:

Have you guys been thanked recently for voluntarily beta testing a Microsoft OS for the rest of us?
As far as the OS goes, it really isn't buggy or anything (anymore than 10 anyway), and if anything is faster.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Tried to upgrade this morning to W11, and I know my PC meets the requirements, and both my BIOs, and Windows, say I have TPM 2.0 enabled. Windows Update still doesn't show that I meet the requirements though, and PC Health Check is pretty blatant in its design with regards towards pushing you towards buying a whole new PC that get a kickback to Microsoft. So that is cool! Going to try this at some point in the future https://www.pcgamer.com/microsoft-reveals-how-to-bypass-its-own-system-requirements-for-windows-11/ and see if it works.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Another pcgamer article, not sure if it was posted.

This is on NEW Pcs with Windows 11

"Microsoft 'will be enabling VBS on most new PCs over this next year' and that can tank PC gaming performance by around 25%.
In our testing, that can add up to as much as a 28% drop in average frame rates. And you thought the TPM 2.0 restrictions were a pain..."

https://www.pcgamer.com/windows-11-pcs-can-hobble-gaming-performance/

quote:

The issue is Virtualization-Based Security (VBS), a setting introduced into Windows 10 which uses hardware and software virtualisation to enhance the security of your system. It basically creates an isolated subsystem that helps prevent malware from screwing your PC.

Microsoft explains it as follows: "VBS uses hardware virtualization features to create and isolate a secure region of memory from the normal operating system. Windows can use this 'virtual secure mode' to host a number of security solutions, providing them with greatly increased protection from vulnerabilities in the operating system, and preventing the use of malicious exploits which attempt to defeat protections."

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Microsoft is apparently still supporting Windows 10 through 2025, so Windows Update was doing me a favor it sounds like.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Hunter Noventa posted:

It might be pro-only.

That's what I'm using :iiam:

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

Holy poo poo you can’t move the taskbar anymore. I have a friend who kept it on the left side of the screen and he is pissed. Why would they think people shouldn’t be able to do that anymore?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

fat bossy gerbil posted:

Holy poo poo you can’t move the taskbar anymore. I have a friend who kept it on the left side of the screen and he is pissed. Why would they think people shouldn’t be able to do that anymore?

They have empowered the UI design folks really heavily this time around. This lack of UI customization is purposeful.

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

It’s always nice when UI designers take the shittiest page from the Apple playbook and say “No, you’ll use your computer the way WE say you will!”

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

fat bossy gerbil posted:

It’s always nice when UI designers take the shittiest page from the Apple playbook and say “No, you’ll use your computer the way WE say you will!”

Even dragging to the taskbar between windows isn't possible anymore. I like the animations and visual style but Jesus Christ, this isn't a Kindle Fire, this is a desktop OS.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sickening posted:

They have empowered the UI design folks really heavily this time around. This lack of UI customization is purposeful.

Everything around this is designed to sell you something. This is the compromise Microsoft decided to make with the user when Making Windows 11 free.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
I enabled HVCI on my PC earlier today so I'll report back if I see noticeable impact on frame rates tonight. I've got a Ryzen 5800 and a RTX 3080 so I imagine it'll be fine.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I found this to use until Microsoft stops being utterly clueless about the taskbar. ElevenClock, literally just readds the clock to secondary monitors and pulls out the calendar/time panel when clicked.

This and the inability to move the taskbar freely are just utterly baffling.

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
drat this poo poo sucks. I liked having a tall start menu and organizing pinned items with folders & labels. And having a weather widget without unremovable news plastered underneath it.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Cross-Section posted:

Anyone else getting to 71% done on the installer then a 0x8007007f error?

edit: fixed by restarting

This happened on both my laptop and desktop. Certainly strange.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

fat bossy gerbil posted:

At least I can move the dock to the left on MacOS.

I have an ultrawide so having the taskbar locked to the bottom means I won't be updating to Win 11 until these morons relent on having a UI even less customisable than MacOS.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It doesn't excuse it, but I don't think they removed the taskbar features so much as they haven't implemented them yet. The interface is probably a complete rewrite, as it runs much faster than 10 and on touch devices can actually rotate smoothly instead of having a massive panic attack for several seconds, which is nice. Make a fuss about it somewhere they'll see it, hopefully they'll add this stuff back in sooner rather than later.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

It doesn't excuse it, but I don't think they removed the taskbar features so much as they haven't implemented them yet. The interface is probably a complete rewrite, as it runs much faster than 10 and on touch devices can actually rotate smoothly instead of having a massive panic attack for several seconds, which is nice. Make a fuss about it somewhere they'll see it, hopefully they'll add this stuff back in sooner rather than later.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Is there a diff between the start menu search (winkey or clicking the 4 squares) and the magnifying search on the taskbar? Appears not. What's the point of the mag glass search? Should I just remove it?

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
Surely this time the new version of Windows is so bad that people will switch to Linux.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Does Windows 11 retain the option to disable "Hide extensions for known file types?"

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

The Merkinman posted:

Surely this time the new version of Windows is so bad that people will switch to Linux.

I'm considering it.

Granted I have been considering it for years at this point and have never done more than mess around with dual booting.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Hed posted:

Big miss on my part:

Yeah I hadn't realized how much I'd actually miss this feature. Makes it really easy to forget that you have windows open.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

The Gunslinger posted:

Everything else about Windows 11 is fine so far but this is annoying the gently caress out of me too. There is no option for it and I can't seem to find a working regedit to fix it either. Who the gently caress doesn't want to see the time on a secondary monitor? Or at least have a toggle for it? What a silly, stupid change.

It's otherwise very snappy and performant, all of my games/apps work flawlessly and I don't mind the other new taskbar stuff. The new start menu is fine, not that I will ever use it anyway.

But seriously what the gently caress, give me a clock on secondary displays.

Ctrl+Shift Click
This was an immediate concern, and I stumbled on the solution

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

The Merkinman posted:

It has Linux in it, and soon android.

But also, lol

It's ALWAYS the year of Linux on the desktop.

Nullset
Apr 21, 2010

If anyone is looking for an easy way to undo/tweak most of Windows 11's questionable UI changes then take a look at https://www.startallback.com/.

It fixes most of the complaints I had: an actual start menu, moveable taskbar, re-adds the clock, un-combine taskbar icons and a bunch of other stuff.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

url posted:

Ctrl+Shift Click
This was an immediate concern, and I stumbled on the solution

What are you supposed to ctrl+shift+click on? What does it do?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Zil posted:

I'm considering it.

Granted I have been considering it for years at this point and have never done more than mess around with dual booting.

It is the twenties and it is time for Gnome.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

AlexDeGruven posted:

It's ALWAYS the year of Linux on the desktop.

every year since at least 1996

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Does Windows 11 retain the option to disable "Hide extensions for known file types?"

yes, and if you had it disabled in 10 and upgrade inline it will retain it

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

hooah posted:

What are you supposed to ctrl+shift+click on? What does it do?

E: Sorry, I quoted the wrong post....

Somebody a couple of pages back was upset because shiift-click on an open application in the taskbar wasn't opening a second instance (as has been the case since 7)

In my couple of hours using 11, I was randomly clicking a variety of key-combination & clicks because I do use several instances of an application at one time.

I did get one UAC pop-up, but otherwise Ctrl+shift and click on the open application opens a second, etc instance.

Apologies if I am wrong (or have some wiers unique setting enabling this), but I didn't see anyone reply to the upset goon.

url fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Oct 7, 2021

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Graniteman posted:

In addition to gui apps, I’ve read that it now supports CUDA. So if you want to fool with machine learning like tensorflow and pytorch you can get GPU acceleration in WSL2 now. It’s pretty great for that use case and is the main thing making me want to jump in to W11 now.

WSL2 has GPU acceleration on windows 10 too, as of 21H2. It's only the GUI stuff that's 11 exclusive.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

The Merkinman posted:

If it didn't cost $250 for even the most basic 2d-desktop-only video card, I'd be working on it right now.

OTOH it looks like GPUs are gonna stay expensive long enough for MS to fix the most boneheaded idiocy like the bottom-only taskbar. So we'll see how it shakes out after a year. The first year of win10 was kinda shaky too. I didn't upgrade from 7 until after the Anniversary Update and had a much better experience.

(But it's not like I'm a representative case. Fix your post to be "windows is so bad and has such crazy requirements that more people switch to ipads and chromebooks, rather than buy a new mega-expensive PC during a supply crisis" and we're talking though.)

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

url posted:

E: Sorry, I quoted the wrong post....

Somebody a couple of pages back was upset because shiift-click on an open application in the taskbar wasn't opening a second instance (as has been the case since 7)

In my couple of hours using 11, I was randomly clicking a variety of key-combination & clicks because I do use several instances of an application at one time.

I did get one UAC pop-up, but otherwise Ctrl+shift and click on the open application opens a second, etc instance.

Apologies if I am wrong (or have some wiers unique setting enabling this), but I didn't see anyone reply to the upset goon.

Ctrl+shift opens a program with elevated permissions(as admin), which is why the UAC prompt comes up. You really shouldn't be running programs elevated unless you have a specific reason, and should probably never run a web browser elevated.

It's useful for the new Windows terminal, because the task pin doesn't have a run as admin button in it's right click menu like PowerShell does.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Hungry Computer posted:

Ctrl+shift opens a program with elevated permissions(as admin), which is why the UAC prompt comes up. You really shouldn't be running programs elevated unless you have a specific reason, and should probably never run a web browser elevated.

It's useful for the new Windows terminal, because the task pin doesn't have a run as admin button in it's right click menu like PowerShell does.

I've just recently internalized Win+X , A as my preferred way to get into Terminal as admin. Was happy that that, at least, still works in 11.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

The hacked MCT generator seems to have worked (no TPM and a 1700) for me.

Installer, after a big scary warning, is chugging along.