Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

OldSenileGuy posted:

Holy poo poo, spatial audio with AirPods Pro and the Apple TV is loving magic.

I totally forgot that it existed, so I just put my AirPods in and started browsing around for something to watch like I’ve done many times before. But when the show started (the opening happens to be pretty loud) I FREAKED out because it sounded like the sound was coming from the TV and it was LOUD.

Took me a few seconds to realize what was actually going on, and this thing works way better than I would have thought. It’s pretty spooky actually.

It’s super weird even on iPad or iPhone too. It really fools you into thinking the speakers are on for sure because you’re just not used to earbuds working that way!

Anyone know if it is only the AirPods and Pros that support that or do the new Beats earbuds support it too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

My AirPods Pro have been my favorite purchase of the last few years, and the spatial audio junk is just icing on that cake.

They’re still stupid expensive, even at $180.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

jokes posted:

My AirPods Pro have been my favorite purchase of the last few years, and the spatial audio junk is just icing on that cake.

They’re still stupid expensive, even at $180.

I like them but I have had issues with them. I’m about to get them replaced for a second time.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

That sucks. I think the entire class of wireless earbuds are hosed up; my parents bought me Bose QC Earbuds for my birthday and they broke within 30 minutes. I got a pair of Sony things and they broke within a few days. Then I figured (hoped) Apple would have the best QA so I bought AirPods and so far my theory has been correct.

I recently watched a movie while my wife slept in the next room and the spatial audio on my AirPods was like living in the future, and I don’t think other wireless earbuds can do that?

I really wish these things were like $60. Ugh. I’m always afraid I’ll lose them or something will gently caress up and then poof, bye bye $200.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
My Pros are great except they tend to slowly wiggle out of my ears, especially if I'm eating or talking with them in. My AirPods Regular never had did this, and it's surprising considering the more custom fit of the Pros. Oh well.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

priznat posted:

Anyone know if it is only the AirPods and Pros that support that or do the new Beats earbuds support it too?

iirc the beats flex support it on iphone/mac, even before the airpods max, so I'm curious as well. Has the same proprietary apple chip?

beats flex are $40-50, work great with the apple TV. I love mine.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

iirc the beats flex support it on iphone/mac, even before the airpods max, so I'm curious as well. Has the same proprietary apple chip?

beats flex are $40-50, work great with the apple TV. I love mine.

I really like the beatsx (now flex) too because of the isolation and the strap. Thinking about getting the flex again once my AirPods Pro get old in a year or so probably. They all use the W1 chip I believe.

The AirPods Pro are nice (I got as a gift) but it’s always scary one might pop out and bounce down a sewer grate or whatever.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

priznat posted:

I really like the beatsx (now flex) too because of the isolation and the strap. Thinking about getting the flex again once my AirPods Pro get old in a year or so probably. They all use the W1 chip I believe.

They do, the only Beats that don’t use the W1 chip are the Studio Buds that came out recently because they want Beats to be the Apple buds that Android users buy.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

njsykora posted:

They do, the only Beats that don’t use the W1 chip are the Studio Buds that came out recently because they want Beats to be the Apple buds that Android users buy.

Ah I was looking at those, so I guess those don’t support spatial audio then. I like how they have usb C charging but I do still have a gazillion lightning connectors too.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I lost an Airpod Pro during a snowball fight last year :(

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Endless Mike posted:

Sucks, my friend lost an airpod in the snow a few years back and was amazed that we could ping it with her Find My. Heard it and found it pretty quickly.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

Spatial audio would have been useful , you may have heard the snowball coming.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I still haven't decided if I should open the AirPods I got "free" with my iPad, or sell them. I don't have anything for wearing outside, but I have nice wireless headphones to wear when inside.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
If I lost the case for my airpods can I just get a generic one or does Apple sell official replacements that aren't super expensive?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Apple charges $60 + $7 shipping for a new non-wireless case:
https://support.apple.com/airpods/repair/service#damage

Amazon has the wireless one on sale for $67.
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07PYLKTD8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_RRYXX04Y1NPEAS42HFR1

Looks like there are knockoffs for $35 but YMMV.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

canyonero posted:

My Pros are great except they tend to slowly wiggle out of my ears, especially if I'm eating or talking with them in. My AirPods Regular never had did this, and it's surprising considering the more custom fit of the Pros. Oh well.

This is so funny to me because I had the opposite problem (regular AirPods would slowly wiggle out, Pros do not).

I guess Steve intended for Pros to be in my ears and AirPods for yours. (RIP to your situation as the 3rd gen AirPods are rumored for a Pro like form factor)

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Comply tips helped the wiggle a lot for me. Still can’t really eat with mine in my right ear because of TMJ cracking tho

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy
Spatial audio is pretty spatial. :toot:

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Jose Oquendo posted:

I like them but I have had issues with them. I’m about to get them replaced for a second time.

I love mine but I'm on my 3rd Right and 2nd Left pro. Allegedly the ones they swap out now aren't susceptible to the same issue, whether it was a defect or the noise cancellation blowing the speakers. That said they really are that great with iOS/Apple TV, especially anything with Dolby support. I use AirVideoHD and they have it as an option so all my content with 5.1 gets spatial audio.

PSA: if you have a crackling in your Pros around background noise, or can't get the good fit in the sound test no matter which tips you use Apple will replace them for 2 years from purchase. They stopped mailing them out, but you can go to the Apple Store and they'll run a quick test to see if they can swap them out.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

priznat posted:

did some googling and looks like it’s only the AirPods Pro/max that do :/

Though I think they work for spatial audio via Apple Music on your phone, however

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
My Powerbeats pro 3 work with Apple TV .

They can do spacial audio but not the “spacalize audio”.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Haha, after making the post about how spatial audio is magic, today I was made aware of its shortcomings.

The first time I used it, I was just sitting on the couch and watching TV. Worked great. But today when using it, I got up and walked to the kitchen and walked around a bit while it was on.

It definitely freaked out the AirPods to have me walking around, and by the time I got back to my position on the couch, the audio was basically coming from behind me.

After about 30-60 seconds it automatically re-centered itself and was back to normal. Would be nice if there was some way to force it to re-center itself, but ultimately it's not a big deal.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Costco has the Apple TV 4K for $40 off when you buy two. Costco already has a cheaper price so they end up $150 each.

If you buy 3 then it’s $80 off. Each capacity has a limit of two so you would have to buy two 32gb and one 64gb to get the discount, for example.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Is there a streaming quality difference between HBO Max and HBO content in Hulu (subscribed to Live with the Max package)?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I currently have my TVs ARC connected to my sound bar's ARC. There are two ports in the back of the TV that will support HDR, but should I be connecting the Apple TV to my sound bar or the back of the TV? I have my Switch connected to my sound bar for some reason.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

obi_ant posted:

I currently have my TVs ARC connected to my sound bar's ARC. There are two ports in the back of the TV that will support HDR, but should I be connecting the Apple TV to my sound bar or the back of the TV? I have my Switch connected to my sound bar for some reason.

If you want HDR connect it directly to the TV.

I kinda doubt that the sound bar would pass the HDR signal through.

It might but I kinda doubt it.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

If you want HDR connect it directly to the TV.

I kinda doubt that the sound bar would pass the HDR signal through.

It might but I kinda doubt it.

Thanks! I'm assuming that the ARC will push any sound connected to any of the HDMI ports into the soundbar?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

obi_ant posted:

Thanks! I'm assuming that the ARC will push any sound connected to any of the HDMI ports into the soundbar?

Yes it should.

Well that’s how it’s supposed to work at least lol

HT audio stuff can be a little funky sometimes.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
The Switch won’t output surround sound unless it’s plugged into the audio device directly.

Unless your tv and soundbar support the weird PCM implementation Nintendo did with the Switch.

In theory, the soundbar can pass through the video to the tv but I found this caused more problems with CEC than was worth it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I don't think a soundbar is outputting surround sound, either.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

I don't think a soundbar is outputting surround sound, either.

It could if it’s one of those vizo ones with rears. I had one and it worked surprising ok!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

obi_ant posted:

This pisses me off because my X900F has 4 HDMI ports. 2 of which can do 4K HDR. But one of those ports is the loving ARC port. So I have my PS5 on one of them and my Sonos Beam on the other. Which leaves my ATV out. Such a stupid design.

That said, my ATV still seems to showing Dune via HBO Max at 4K HDR so who knows :shrug: But my PS5 definitely wouldn’t do 4K HDR unless it was plugged into one of the 2 special ports.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The HDMI standard is a fuckin mess tbh

2.0 2.1 2.2

It’s dumb.

Like there were a bunch of receivers that did 2.1 but there was an issue where they were not fully 2.1 compliant or something and if you had one you were SOL because it requires a hardware revision to fix.

Don’t get me started on the hdmi cables either good luck figuring out which ones will work with your new system if they aren’t marked correctly.

:argh:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

ATV 4K (new one) and iPad Air 2/iPhone 13 Pro all on 15.1

Anyone having issues with screen mirroring being a stuttering mess? I was trying to mirror a NFL game to my TV yesterday and it would play smoothly on my iPad and phone, but the mirrored screen on the ATV was jittery garbage.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

not trying to be smart, but I have never had screen mirroring work well lol. Laptop or phone. Even ethernet with fiber.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

not trying to be smart, but I have never had screen mirroring work well lol. Laptop or phone. Even ethernet with fiber.
A few hops apart on my network (through four switches I think, upstairs to downstairs), but I had trouble with my Mac mini mirroring to mine (also for NFL games :v:) with everything wired. I think it was mostly smooth enough, but it'd randomly just lose the AirPlay connection a bunch. Recently tried with my MBA over wifi in the same room and it's been rock solid. Maybe newer OS on the MBA, I forget, but stopped bothering trying the mini so :iiam:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

ATV 4K (new one) and iPad Air 2/iPhone 13 Pro all on 15.1

Anyone having issues with screen mirroring being a stuttering mess? I was trying to mirror a NFL game to my TV yesterday and it would play smoothly on my iPad and phone, but the mirrored screen on the ATV was jittery garbage.

This is almost always interference in my experience. Try moving the atv and devices to a different room to troubleshoot that

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I think Airplay isn’t over WiFi/Ethernet, and is some weirdo Bluetooth poo poo.

Source: in my building my ATV allows airplay from devices not on my wifi.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

jokes posted:

I think Airplay isn’t over WiFi/Ethernet, and is some weirdo Bluetooth poo poo.

Source: in my building my ATV allows airplay from devices not on my wifi.

It’s definitely Wi-Fi it just uses Wi-Fi direct instead of requiring the devices to be on the same network.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah it’s weird. I’ve never had an issue with it til the 15.1s were released.