Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Blattdorf posted:

That's the scariest thing about it. It will come out in the dead of winter.

Seriously though, the concept is neat and I wonder whether it has legs.

I'm mostly annoyed because it looks fun as hell and I want it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Hello Neighbour was so off the rails from its original concept because the devs learnt the wrong lessons from streamer reactions and thought building lore without actual game play or writing would make them a billion. There's a series of tweets by the publisher miniclip asking desperately for mat pat to game theory their game and by all accounts it is a huge surprise he banned that game from his channel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vgufcGckI8

Bendy and the ink machine is similar but with devs who cannot keep their private life from being made public, and then banked on the paper thin lore and stuffed toys market but failed to make a game that works

Extremely long video but after skipping around you kinda get the gist, this guy apparently was the first people who promoted it heavily due to all the perceived lore too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyHkdxxoVKQ

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

exquisite tea posted:

Fear not horror games thread, I've found an upcoming release that will save the Halloween season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDggNqg7Tko

Huh, I'm weirdly reminded of Miasmata while watching this.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Bendy and the ink machine is similar but with devs who cannot keep their private life from being made public, and then banked on the paper thin lore and stuffed toys market but failed to make a game that works

Extremely long video but after skipping around you kinda get the gist, this guy apparently was the first people who promoted it heavily due to all the perceived lore too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyHkdxxoVKQ

Oh wow, I had no idea there was behind-the-scenes drama with that Ink Machine game. I'll give this a watch later. I randomly skipped to the section about the GlassDoor reviews, and... :stonk:

Read After Burning fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Oct 5, 2021

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The Bendy company having enough employees they could lay off 50 is blowing my mind.

Hakkesshu posted:

Do you mean Beware? Probably still a ways off but they put out a new demo in July

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnXH5PQSA_o

That's the one thanks. Loving what I'm seeing with Beware and the train game because they're so different.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

For Halloween season I just hope that my order of white greasepaint comes in before the end of the month, I need to complete my clown costume before I press the button to buy the new Dark Pictures Anthology game.

It's become a small tradition for my wife and I to play something in that style of game every Halloween, but if I go through it again and find out the devs saying "the monsters are real, we super swear" was some sort of dodge then I'm going to lose my poo poo

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I think I'm going to beat Echo Night this month. I just discovered that Overblood 2 exists so I'll be going through the first one as well.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

CuddleCryptid posted:

For Halloween season I just hope that my order of white greasepaint comes in before the end of the month, I need to complete my clown costume before I press the button to buy the new Dark Pictures Anthology game.

It's become a small tradition for my wife and I to play something in that style of game every Halloween, but if I go through it again and find out the devs saying "the monsters are real, we super swear" was some sort of dodge then I'm going to lose my poo poo

I played through Until Dawn with some friends and it was one of the best video game experiences we've ever had. Then Man of Medan was... just fine but didn't capture the magic. My friends all urged me to get Little Hope as soon as it came out, so we found a couple of nights to play it. I said early on that I didn't really want to be the one actually playing the game (which was the case for the first two) mostly because I just wanted a break from being the one in the hot seat. I think I spaced out the story about two or three hours in and never really started paying attention for the rest of it. By all accounts I missed effectively nothing of interest. I have basically zero interest in House of Ashes at this point, I'd rather just re-play Until Dawn instead.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

MockingQuantum posted:

I played through Until Dawn with some friends and it was one of the best video game experiences we've ever had. Then Man of Medan was... just fine but didn't capture the magic. My friends all urged me to get Little Hope as soon as it came out, so we found a couple of nights to play it. I said early on that I didn't really want to be the one actually playing the game (which was the case for the first two) mostly because I just wanted a break from being the one in the hot seat. I think I spaced out the story about two or three hours in and never really started paying attention for the rest of it. By all accounts I missed effectively nothing of interest. I have basically zero interest in House of Ashes at this point, I'd rather just re-play Until Dawn instead.

The whole Dark Pictures series so far (so two games) has been "great in the moment, absolutely terrible endings". Living up to Until Dawn is hard and I try not to compare them as hard, and Man of Medan wasn't *that* bad, even though you could pretty definitively call the ending 2/3rds of the way into the plot.

Little Hope threw in some extremely weird themes, but they weren't even there until the very end. Up until then it was pretty good, in a silent hill kind of way. Themed monsters? Spooky ghost town? Stupid cult poo poo? That's silent hill baybeee. But then not only was the ending all just a dream, but the game literally kills off characters at the very last second if you didn't play every single one like a Saint, against their established personality, because the whole thing was this guy trying to wash away the problems of his abusive household. So it's easy to win so long as you do the exact opposite of what any therapist in the world would want you to do. It was pretty hosed up. So hey, maybe the backlash has taught the devs a lesson. Maybe?

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

if i figure out a horror game or movie is going towards a it was all a dream/in the protagonist's head type of ending, i just sigh. it is not a very interesting trope and its been done way, way too many times. even when done well, its still the same old same old

edit: spoilered as it would invalidate previous post's spoiler tag otherwise lmao

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

SpiritOfLenin posted:

if i figure out a horror game or movie is going towards a it was all a dream/in the protagonist's head type of ending, i just sigh. it is not a very interesting trope and its been done way, way too many times. even when done well, its still the same old same old

edit: spoilered as it would invalidate previous post's spoiler tag otherwise lmao

Besides just being enormously played out, the thing that absolutely drives me up the wall about it was all a dream! endings is that I the player, by actively engaging in your work of fiction, am already participating in the willing suspension of disbelief that permits me to acknowledge that the events happening onscreen are not real. By turning around and saying none of it was real + it was a dying dream + it was all a simulation at the end, you have accomplished NOTHING to further my understanding of the work. I already know it's not real! We all do. You are not that clever!

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Visage is good, right? Coming to Xbox Game Pass this week and might work that into my horror gaming for October.

Currently playing through Call of Cthulhu (the 2018 one). distinctly low-budget but enjoyable for what it is, also has great moments like the protagonist stumbling onto a green glowing symbol painted on the floor, ominously surrounded by candles and commenting, with no trace of irony, "could these people have been interested in the occult?"

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Dead Space 2 "Your Mom's Gonna Hate This" led directly to Outlast 2 "we're Kickstarting gamer diapers."

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Bogart posted:

Dead Space 2 "Your Mom's Gonna Hate This" led directly to Outlast 2 "we're Kickstarting gamer diapers."

You can draw a straight line back to Shadowman 2's "let us advertise our game on your grandma's tombstone" promo.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Where does bloodvertising fit into the timeline

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Alan Wake looks exactly like I remember it looking 11 years ago which I guess is good in this age of people loving up remasters by trying to improve stuff

al-azad
May 28, 2009

CuddleCryptid posted:

I'd be kinda into it if the games they feature are games from all over the world, it would be neat to see people trying out the games for the first time and making new strategies as adults.

But I know in my heart of hearts it's just going to be "oh no, it's jump rope but the rope cuts your legs off oh noooo"

Razor wire jump rope you say?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcqyH-5KT4U

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Visage will be on xbox gamepass so I'm gonna play that and give it a whirl

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Only one spooky game for October game pass

Shameful

Pathetic

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Barry Convex posted:

Visage is good, right?

I remember people saying the story is embarrassing.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

I remember people saying the story is embarrassing.

deeply so

it’s decent otherwise

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I disliked it but I dislike anything that makes me wander around aimless trying to figure out what to do while randomly spawning one hit kill ghosts. I ended up using a guide just to finish it.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Bogart posted:

And even that is a ripoff of Alien Versus Predator (1999)'s promotional for Big Dogs Underwear:

quote:

Big Dogs (Nasdaq:BDOG) and Fox Interactive will kick-off a promotion titled "A game so scary, we're giving you a free pair of underwear." Slated to run from April 13 to May 13, the first 10,000 people who purchase the game will receive a coupon for a free pair of BIG DOGS underwear, redeemable at any of Big Dogs 175 stores nationwide or via mail. Big Dogs will also create in-store displays using oversized boxes of the game and posters, as well as point of entry for the "Win the Ultimate ALIENS VS. PREDATOR Experience" Sweepstakes.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

And even that is a ripoff of Alien Versus Predator (1999)'s promotional for Big Dogs Underwear:

Do I even want to know what would be written across the rear end of Big Dogs brand underwear

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
You could probably trace it further back to the Screaming Skull which started off with the movie telling the audience that it's such a scary movie that you may very well die of fright but not to worry, if you do die, they'll cover the burial costs.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Sakurazuka posted:

Alan Wake looks exactly like I remember it looking 11 years ago which I guess is good in this age of people loving up remasters by trying to improve stuff

And so far with a very light touch on the retroactive Control nods. Good devs.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

TheWorldsaStage posted:

And so far with a very light touch on the retroactive Control nods. Good devs.

I don't know if I'm misreading this, are there actual changes to the game? I absolutely loved when Control started dropping the tie-ins to Alan Wake as a big leap forward in the Remedyverse, but I assumed this rerelease was just updating graphics and such.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Captain DIEgiene posted:

I don't know if I'm misreading this, are there actual changes to the game? I absolutely loved when Control started dropping the tie-ins to Alan Wake as a big leap forward in the Remedyverse, but I assumed this rerelease was just updating graphics and such.

So far I just caught a legible letter in the sherrifs office.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
the early stealth sequences in Call of Cthulhu 2018 with human enemies weren't too bad, but man that first one with a monster is loving terrible. Thank god I'm playing on PC where I can download a trainer that just makes them ignore me

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

The Dark Corners of the Earth game was similarly aggravating

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I don't remember anything too bad in the 2018 game but DCotE was loving brutal, especially the first chase and that loving truck on rails bit. M

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I appreciate Dark Corners of the Earth portraying J. Edgar Hoover as a shitheaded sociopath.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I have persevered through my first (ever) playthrough of Resident Evil 2 Remake w/Leon. Took it extremely slow, with lots of backtracking, a little bit of screwing around/achievement hunting, etc. Definitely gives me a new appreciation for the people who perform a run with limited (or no) saves, limited storage box access, etc. for sure.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I have persevered through my first (ever) playthrough of Resident Evil 2 Remake w/Leon. Took it extremely slow, with lots of backtracking, a little bit of screwing around/achievement hunting, etc. Definitely gives me a new appreciation for the people who perform a run with limited (or no) saves, limited storage box access, etc. for sure.

I think it's also one of the easiest REs to go back through and route for S ranks and other achievements fwiw, your second time through just knowing all the codes to everything will save you hrs of backtracking through the station and especially labs.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
The ending of In Sound Mind had me tearing up. There's no way I would have expected that game to have a hard hitting emotional ending like it did.

A good game. Everyone with the nerves to actually play through horror games instead of just watching playthroughs of them should definitely go pick it up.

no go on Quiznos
May 16, 2007

Pork Pro
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1273260/Corpse_Party_2021/
Corpse Party is getting yet another release. It's a port of an enhanced port of an enhanced port of a semi-remake of a remake of the original.

TI-83 version when?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
horse corpse party

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

:psyduck: how is there ANOTHER remake and yet CP2 has barely been touched since its first chapter lmao, what is this

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I like CP1 and all but each remake is slightly worse than the PSP release so lol at the devs going for the money pump again. Try finishing and selling CP2 you dopes!

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I watched some video essay (bad) on the corpse party franchise and it feels that after that popular "I'm gonna butter my pooper" game almost every next entry is an exercise in either futility, misery or both

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

They turned Sachiko into this mischievous mascot instead of a tragic villain, so the fate of basically every horror franchise.