Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

If REFUK just an FBPE party?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

keep punching joe posted:

Yes like flying ant day it is over for another year, and all the Tories who were going to gently caress have now done so. Once again it is safe to go outside citizen.

Which reminds me of the single horniest sentence on Wikipedia:

quote:

Within a few days after they have emerged (eclosed) from the pupa case, males are "quickly converted into single-purpose sexual missiles."

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

multijoe posted:

If REFUK just an FBPE party?

No its UKIP 2.0

edit: technically its Brexit Party 2.0 which was a fork of UKIP

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Oct 7, 2021

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's the Wokexit party, which I have now just probably lathed into existence as a thing by thinking it :(

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

While I do go around assuming that everyone I meet is a secret tory, purely on the basis that I have yet to meet a secret lefty but a lot of people have apparently decided that I want to hear their national front pitch out of nowhere, I am still operating under the assumption that people not wearing masks is for some other reason. Fatigue, the kind of indifference to society that I often feel (especially, I think, among younger people who IMO have zero loving reason to feel anything but spite towards everyone else on the planet because they get the poo poo end of every stick) or just a general "what's the point any more" kind of feeling.

None of which I think absolves me of wearing them. I could come up with a justification but ultimately I would just be post-hoc rationalizing it for my own benefit. It's really just me being childish and not wanting to do something that isn't really very difficult. And presently it's pretty easy to overrule that impulse. My job takes me all over the place so if I was carrying the disease I could conceivably spread it to a lot of other people. Same reason I generally try to get the flu jab too, I've never had the flu and I don't think I am at a particularly high risk of it, but I started getting it because I knew I was around vulnerable people who I did not particularly want to kill and so it seemed like a simple change to make. The mask and distancing also helps with other diseases too so as I said it is a very small few changes to make to lower the possibility that I get someone who really doesn't deserve it, seriously ill.

I could of course just assume I had never done that and live my life staunchly believing that the externalities of my existence aren't real, as I do to a degree anyway, but this particular one seems easy to mitigate so I am going to continue trying to do that.

Also re: stuff like public transport, the annoying thing is that it could be made safer, they could keep the mask mandates and enforce them properly and have proper ventilation etc, that they don't is entirely performative shittiness aimed at the manky gammon contingent who just hate the idea of anything being different ever and absolute apathy re: spending any money above the bare minimum.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Oct 7, 2021

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

ThomasPaine posted:

On infecting other people, the way I see it now is everyone who wanted a vaccine has had one. If you refused and get sick I'm sorry but that's kinda on you. I don't mind keeping masks and whatever for shops I guess because it's nbd, but I'll be damned if I'm going to spend another winter in the flat staring forlornly into the darkness.

There are definitely people who are unvaccinated but not by choice.

My brother was delayed in being given the vaccine by well over a month because he had at one point had allergic reactions to certain medications. (Not the same ingredients as used in Pfizer, but other non- covid vaccine related ingredients.)
Now while he was (eventually) given the vaccine it was a huge delay. It also made.me realize that everyone's medical history and makeup is so different that Covid has a wide range of effects.

Just because I am not likely to get badly sick due to Covid* doesn't mean I couldn't pass it on to someone who could get severely hosed up by it, even with vaccines. (The stories about Breakthrough cases.)
Also my wife and I had a new baby who is three months old. She won't be eligible for a vaccine for quite some time**, and there is no way I'm going to put her health at risk on the basis of "well it's early days yet, but kids will probably be fine if they get Covid."

*= Que RPG/XCOM players and the meme about it only being a 1 in 20 chance of it going badly wrong.

**= I visited my first daughter in Scotland last month as I hadn't seen her since the Pandemic began.
Upon coming home, I quarantined myself from my family, waited four days then got a PCVR test to make sure I was clean. I was. Is this a bit overkill, yeah. But at least it means I would be sure I wasn't risking my babu's health.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

ThomasPaine posted:

Like, I get it, covid is scary. It can be a real bitch and yeah, it can kill you especially if you're old or otherwise vulnerable.

You say you get this, but the rest of your post ignores it. Some of us are old, vulnerable, or in need of hospital beds for other reasons, and some of us just care about people who are.

As for your suggestion that we're cautious because we never hitherto realized we could die, it is ridiculous mate. I myself have nearly died, nearly all my loved ones actually have died, I have been extremely conscious of the proximity of death for many years now and don't even mind the prospect much, except that it would be lovely for my family. I just think spreading a killer infection around when you don't have to is bad.

Nothingtoseehere posted:

What should be being done differently? We're 18 months in - what do you suggest that isn't just putting off problems for another year?

I suggest people carry on wearing masks and taking other precautions until we have the case numbers down. The more cases, the more chances of vaccine-breaking variants. Our case rate are among the highest in the world, it is not inevitable.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
lmao Lab are actually doubling down and attacking the Tories from the right on wages.

https://twitter.com/Angry_Voice/status/1446064043840655360

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
gently caress me I knew the McShitter was bad, but pulling out the wage-price spiral?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Is there a good summary anywhere of the Labour shadow cabinet being more right wing than the Tories? I really need some proper ammunition for people saying that obviously you have to vote Labour because the Tories are worse.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Is there a good summary anywhere of the Labour shadow cabinet being more right wing than the Tories? I really need some proper ammunition for people saying that obviously you have to vote Labour because the Tories are worse.

Well two posts up from you there is a video of Wes Streeting demanding never to increase the minimum wage while the Tories push for a (Substantially under the living wage) increase.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

ThomasPaine posted:

There was (is?) a lot of virus going around, and lots of people were always going to get sick as a result, but only a tiny minority died - numbers not really altogether worse than from other causes.

[...]

You've had a vaccine that reduces covid's likelihood of killing you from 'very unlikely' to 'almost zero'.
Throughout this entire pandemic your posting has been loving unbearable, and this is a perfect example of why. The first statement is absolutely stunning in its tone deafness to a thread which has several posters who've lost loved ones or have loved ones who are still at risk of long-term damage even post vaccination. It's in denial about the scale of the deaths not just in this country, but worldwide. But more than that, it's loving heartless, and yet again you're showing that you're fine with people dying so you can go back to the pub.

Mostly though it's handwaving away the question of whether any deaths are acceptable vs taking basic precautions to limit the spread of the disease to vulnerable people. If you want to compare this to the flu then fine - we should also be trying to limit the spread of the flu because people die of that as well, and if people took basic precautions like wearing a mask when sick or self isolating, a few more people might have grandmas a little longer.

The second statement is just as bad because yeah, it's probably reduced your risk to zero, but for a substatial amount of vulnerable people it's reduced them from certain death to exacerbating existing conditions and long-term complications. We both know that death is not the only outcome of covid and surviving it is not always a barrel of laughs. I shouldn't have to point out why it's normal to be worried about catching the loving coronavirus.

Worst of all, you're using it to justify taking a cheap pop at people who are being forced to take public transport full of maskless dickheads to get to their jobs, and are worried about their health, their loved ones health, or even just having an extra sickness absence on their record.

Last time this came up you got defensive about people accusing you of ignoring basic medical and statistical data because you wanted to be able to go back out again. But you seem absolutely fine with taking a cheap pop at people wanting to keep up even basic safety measures for a little longer, or being reluctant to step onto cramped public transport with unmasked infection vectors.

You're framing this like it's a choice for people, but vulnerable people don't get to choose not to expose themselves to disease vectors. Shops are now full of proudly coughing freedom wankers. Universal Credit is hosed and people can't afford to not work. Even the few vulnerable people who can afford to stay home don't get to choose which minimum wage exhausted delivery driver turns up at their door.

The one thing you got right is that this is a public health issue, but when the public at large seems to have the same attitude as you - that inconvenience is a worse imposition than other people dying - it's little wonder that things got as bad as they did, and have continued to drag on as long as they have.

You are still peddling what is essentially an outlook of 'I want to go back to normal and am glossing over people dying so I can achieve that.' You've been doing this every time deaths have dropped even slightly, and I'm not sure if it's because you're conflating the rate slowing down with the number falling below an acceptable amount, but we are certainly nowhere near an 'acceptable' number of extra deaths, especially not if they could be prevented by basic sanitation measures.

Worse, you're now pretending that the number of people who have died is "a tiny minority" to make that stance feel more palatable.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
It's Wes' time

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/wesstreeting/status/1446069455675707393

Just Wes agreeing with the Tories on economics

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Perhaps if wages went up we wouldn't be on low incomes, wes.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Throughout this entire pandemic your posting has been loving unbearable, and this is a perfect example of why. The first statement is absolutely stunning in its tone deafness to a thread which has several posters who've lost loved ones or have loved ones who are still at risk of long-term damage even post vaccination. It's in denial about the scale of the deaths not just in this country, but worldwide. But more than that, it's loving heartless, and yet again you're showing that you're fine with people dying so you can go back to the pub.

Mostly though it's handwaving away the question of whether any deaths are acceptable vs taking basic precautions to limit the spread of the disease to vulnerable people. If you want to compare this to the flu then fine - we should also be trying to limit the spread of the flu because people die of that as well, and if people took basic precautions like wearing a mask when sick or self isolating, a few more people might have grandmas a little longer.

The second statement is just as bad because yeah, it's probably reduced your risk to zero, but for a substatial amount of vulnerable people it's reduced them from certain death to exacerbating existing conditions and long-term complications. We both know that death is not the only outcome of covid and surviving it is not always a barrel of laughs. I shouldn't have to point out why it's normal to be worried about catching the loving coronavirus.

Worst of all, you're using it to justify taking a cheap pop at people who are being forced to take public transport full of maskless dickheads to get to their jobs, and are worried about their health, their loved ones health, or even just having an extra sickness absence on their record.

Last time this came up you got defensive about people accusing you of ignoring basic medical and statistical data because you wanted to be able to go back out again. But you seem absolutely fine with taking a cheap pop at people wanting to keep up even basic safety measures for a little longer, or being reluctant to step onto cramped public transport with unmasked infection vectors.

You're framing this like it's a choice for people, but vulnerable people don't get to choose not to expose themselves to disease vectors. Shops are now full of proudly coughing freedom wankers. Universal Credit is hosed and people can't afford to not work. Even the few vulnerable people who can afford to stay home don't get to choose which minimum wage exhausted delivery driver turns up at their door.

The one thing you got right is that this is a public health issue, but when the public at large seems to have the same attitude as you - that inconvenience is a worse imposition than other people dying - it's little wonder that things got as bad as they did, and have continued to drag on as long as they have.

You are still peddling what is essentially an outlook of 'I want to go back to normal and am glossing over people dying so I can achieve that.' You've been doing this every time deaths have dropped even slightly, and I'm not sure if it's because you're conflating the rate slowing down with the number falling below an acceptable amount, but we are certainly nowhere near an 'acceptable' number of extra deaths, especially not if they could be prevented by basic sanitation measures.

Worse, you're now pretending that the number of people who have died is "a tiny minority" to make that stance feel more palatable.

Also this, frankly. I really think you're starting from the position of "I don't like the risk mitigation measures" and working backwards to get to "they are bad and/or pointless so I shouldn't have to follow them"

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Oct 7, 2021

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
If we raise the wages then inflation will go up. Inflation is going up anyway but that's no reason to raise wages.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

Perhaps if wages went up we wouldn't be on low incomes, wes.

You should tweet at him. It may be one of your last opportunities to call him a oval office and for him to actually see it before he becomes LOTO

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Can't wait till next election.

Labour : better things are not possible
Cons : we'll give Britain a pay rise!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I can't tweet at anybody I've never had a social media account and don't intend to start now.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

OwlFancier posted:

I can't tweet at anybody I've never had a social media account and don't intend to start now.

You should get one, Twitter is fun.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

I have bad news about what you paid :10bux: for.

And here you can't even call any world leaders a dog oval office, just some possible CIA agents

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't think I would last very long screaming obscenities at people on twitter, I will stick to just screaming them into a pillow like a normal, healthy person.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Sometimes I pick up my dog and scream frustration into her side - she likes it

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

This is probably the most sensible take posted in UKMT history.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
In a sick way Labour are correct, increased wages just means increased property prices and increased rents.

Maybe they should talk more about capping those instead of earnings.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Twitter is great fun, I've never been able to bully so many people from the comfort of my own home before.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Guavanaut posted:

They put all the gay tories in Section 28

Wait, wait, is this real?

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Oh dear me posted:

You say you get this, but the rest of your post ignores it. Some of us are old, vulnerable, or in need of hospital beds for other reasons, and some of us just care about people who are.

As for your suggestion that we're cautious because we never hitherto realized we could die, it is ridiculous mate. I myself have nearly died, nearly all my loved ones actually have died, I have been extremely conscious of the proximity of death for many years now and don't even mind the prospect much, except that it would be lovely for my family. I just think spreading a killer infection around when you don't have to is bad.

I suggest people carry on wearing masks and taking other precautions until we have the case numbers down. The more cases, the more chances of vaccine-breaking variants. Our case rate are among the highest in the world, it is not inevitable.

It's cool that you've considered your own mortality but I think you're deluded if you believe there aren't a significant number of people who haven't. In the west we are completely insulated from death and encouraged not to think about it, up until the point we get very sick or someone we love dies or whatever. That's pretty undeniable.

Anyway, my point was that after vaccination even old and vulnerable people are at no more risk from covid than they are from generally existing. Some people will still die, but some people always still die. It's a horrible thing, but permanent self-imposed house arrest for the entire population is not a proportionate response. With the vaccination rate we have, covid is simply not the public health danger it once was. It's just another lovely virus that makes people sick, and like most other lovely viruses some people get unlucky. I mean fine, keep masks and whatever, they're very low effort, but until we start getting serious (and unlikely) spikes in the hospitalisation/death (not case) rates there's zero reason to adopt any draconian measures or worry much more about things than you usually would. Also, the bogeyman 'vaccine busting' variant is not terrible threat we think it is. That isn't have vaccines work. A variant might be more virulent, or might cause proportionally worse symptoms, but rendering the vaccines completely useless would require one hell of a mutation, which is astronomically improbable. You're far more likely to get strains like Delta, which make them marginally less effective, but we're talking a few percentage points here or there.

I'm really not trying to be dismissive or callous here, I just think people have trained themselves - quite rightly - to be so cautious, that now they're unable to acknowledge that the realistic danger of covid in the UK is a fraction of what it was this time last year.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

My posting is always unbearable, but you're putting a lot of words into my mouth here. Public health measures are by definition judgement calls that, yes, have to balance 'acceptable' deaths against wider social impact. It's not fun but it's absolutely essential. That doesn't mean every individual death isn't a tragedy, but if you follow your argument to its conclusion none of us leave the house ever again because absolutely everything we do has the potential to harm or kill someone else in the long-run. Short term draconian measures are sometimes acceptable, and I think in the context of covid they were, but maintaining them indefinitely is just completely unfeasible and, arguably, ethically wrong. You seem to think this means I'm anti-mask, anti-isolation when sick etc, but that's not what I've said. What I'm frustrated at are they people arguing that we need to once again close everything, ban travel, etc etc, and do so potentially for years to come. Doing that would do far more harm to us as a society than not doing so would with the rates of vaccination that we have. Fwiw I said nothing about people being forced to do anything because of work - that's bad pandemic or not - and yes, UC cuts are shocking. I feel like you've built a pretty serious strawman around my actual point here honestly.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Oct 7, 2021

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Twitter is great because you can waste time when you should be working by spending the whole day calling broadsheet columnists twats.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Isomermaid posted:

Wait, wait, is this real?

Yes.

e: related https://twitter.com/BenInLDN/status/1446077430964359169?t=JZwmKmTdJzeuhZqoTzbbhA&s=19

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Jedit posted:

It's Twitch that was hacked. Even if you have Prime and linked your account you should be OK as long as you had different passwords for each site. I'd still keep an eye on it, though. The more important thing is to add 2FA to PayPal and disable auto-accepts from Twitch if you ever used it to buy bits or subscriptions.

Changing a Twitch password is poo poo, though. They've gone full idiot and now an 18-character password with lower case, upper case, symbol and number is considered weak and won't be accepted. Obligatory XKCD comic here.

Every password i use is random character and different thankfully, having a suspicious mind has benefits... i guess. :confused:

"weak and won't be accepted": if they wont' accept my 21 random character password then i see no point and as for two factor i'm not for giving them any more info. :colbert:

Only annoyed that i used a main email account to link with them.... it's the idiot behind the keyboard again. lol

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.

ThomasPaine posted:

Anyway, my point was that after vaccination even old and vulnerable people are at no more risk from covid than they are from generally existing.
The majority of current cases are now in young adults and children. Your premise is flawed.

ThomasPaine posted:

permanent self-imposed house arrest for the entire population is not a proportionate response.
Nobody suggested permanent house arrest - you're constructing a strawman. People are suggesting wearings masks, making vaccines mandatory, and reducing the chance of another mutant variant arising.

ThomasPaine posted:

You're far more likely to get strains like Delta, which make them marginally less effective, but we're talking a few percentage points here or there.
Please calculate the number of people affected by a "few percentage points" across the entire UK population. Show your working, and state the number of deaths you find acceptable.

Tl;dr:

ThomasPaine posted:

Some people will still die, but some people always still die.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Trans people are too divisive and as a result are a threat to impartiality, now if you'll excuse me I have to go and booty pop with Ian Duncan Smith at the Rivers Of Blood karaoke night.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Accidentally read it as "Shadow Child Wes Streeting" and laughed my rear end off

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Welp using transpeople as a wedge issue to attack LGBT rights is really paying dividends for the religious right.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Lunar Suite posted:

The majority of current cases are now in young adults and children. Your premise is flawed.

In which way does this invalidate or even have any relevance to anything I said?

quote:

Nobody suggested permanent house arrest - you're constructing a strawman. People are suggesting wearings masks, making vaccines mandatory, and reducing the chance of another mutant variant arising.

I'm not constructing a strawman, this is an argument I have seen people make. I never said anyone ITT had done so.

(Mandatory vaccination is a dangerous precedent tbh but that's a different point entirely and I feel opening a second front might be foolish right now)

quote:

Please calculate the number of people affected by a "few percentage points" across the entire UK population. Show your working, and state the number of deaths you find acceptable.

iirc the effectiveness is still >70% which is more than enough to do the job a vaccine is supposed to do, and much more effective than seasonal flu vaccines.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

You can "see people make" any argument you like, that doesn't mean it's what you're arguing against here.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Any 'Microsoft Certified Professionals' on here (or whatever the latest equivalent is?)

As a non-profit, we get Office 365 licences for free but apparently have to go through an MCP. Unfortunately, our MCP has been having personal problems and is just not as responsive as we need (eg it took 3 weeks before I had my own email address, there are things I should be able to do on the Office suite but still can't almost 6 months after starting and when he fixed my login, I got given access to folders on sharepoint which I should not have - and ok he sorted that quickly but other things have taken literally months to sort or haven't been sorted yet) and double unfortunate is he has never sent us an invoice (despite being asked to do so) so it's making people feel very uncomfortable about chasing him (though they do with great reluctance!).

As I am considerably more IT literate than my two colleagues and as I'm now being looked upon as the ad hoc IT department - eg the panic phone call from my line manager when she got one of those fake 'your computer has been hijacked' things - (one of our volunteers is also quite well versed in this stuff too but she is in her 70s and looking forward to a gradual withdrawal from service and as a volunteer can't be given the sort of in-house access we employees - all 3 of us - have!) as we're recruiting another person soon who will need an email address, different access and so forth, I was wondering about qualifying in this as I'm sure it can't be that hard.

So is it hard? Is it worth it? Basically I would just need to be able to set up permissions and access in MS 365 for people, and be able to get the relevant non-profit licence(s).

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Dabir posted:

You can "see people make" any argument you like, that doesn't mean it's what you're arguing against here.

All I said initially was I'd seen people make the argument (elsewhere) and I thought it was a bad take. Idk why anyone ITT assumed I was attacking them for their very reasonable desire to keep basic precautionary measures like masks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
Mandatory vaccination is a dangerous precedent. First they made us get vaccines to eradicate dangerous illnesses. Then they made us get vaccinated to enter any given country with dangerous endemic diseases not found locally. Now they're making us get vaccinated for a dangerous pandemic whose predecessor had a variant strain with near 50% mortality. Where does it end???