Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Doctor Zero posted:

I don’t know if I’d call it unskippable. It adds a lot of details to the background of things already talked about in the series.

What I don’t like about it is how it connects characters who IMO should not have been, because they never talk about those connections in the series. A bit too retcon at times.

It is great though!

It's unskippable in the sense that it has a lot of great scenes and some background that help give context to characters. Mainly Delenn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

V-Men posted:

It's unskippable in the sense that it has a lot of great scenes and some background that help give context to characters. Mainly Delenn.

The Delenn stuff is all in the series though, isn't it? (Battle of the Line stuff in S1, with context in S2, the rest in the episode with the dreaming in S4)

Jows
May 8, 2002

Wasn't the whole point of ItB to catch up new viewers on some of the major plot points and some background world building when the show went to TNT for S5?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Ok, I realize that I haven't seen it in probably 20 years, so I will go watch it. Perhaps I was too harsh at the time.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Doctor Zero posted:

What I don’t like about it is how it connects characters who IMO should not have been, because they never talk about those connections in the series. A bit too retcon at times.

This is a very fair criticism.

Jows
May 8, 2002

V-Men posted:

And he has his own credit cards

and keys...

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Where can I go to read cool trivia about Babylon 5. I've read all the IMDB Trivia. I like now that I've finished the sereis reading all the behind the scenes stuff I find it interesting.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Hollismason posted:

Where can I go to read cool trivia about Babylon 5. I've read all the IMDB Trivia. I like now that I've finished the sereis reading all the behind the scenes stuff I find it interesting.

Well, there's the Lurker's Guide, for starters.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Jows posted:

Wasn't the whole point of ItB to catch up new viewers on some of the major plot points and some background world building when the show went to TNT for S5?

Yeah, the weird retcon background stuff I didn’t like but in the context of hooking new viewers, which is what it was really for, it’s fine. Other than that I really liked In the Beginning.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Well, there's the Lurker's Guide, for starters.

Yeah that is amazing, just start at the beginning and work through. It's a neat window into 90s internet too.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I'll have to check it out. I like reading all the back story related to episodes.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Lurker's Guide compiles massive amounts of JMS' usenet posting about the series, it's a good read.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

JMS is and was terminally online

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

If you want the absolute be-all end-all of B5 trivia and meticulousness, keep an eye on the B5 Preservation Project. The author is going through ALL of the remaining production notes, script versions, log sheets, conducting new interviews, etc. and compiling a per-episode guide to how exactly the sausage got made in excruciating detail. It's a long project and not the only thing he's working on, but the weekly updates have been coming out like clockwork for 116 weeks now and I have every hope of eventually getting a copy of the book out of it. Faith manages, as they say.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The United States posted:

The movies are on iTunes, sold as a complete "season" pack for $30, which is absolutely more than they are worth.

I will always ever so slightly boost Thirdspace as the most okay B5 TV movie. It's barely connected to anything in the franchise at all besides knowing who the characters are so you can just watch it whenever. A Call to Arms is... adequate, it at least serves to give some closure on the hanging Drakh thread from the seasons.

I don't like them enough to even attempt to argue with a theoretical someone who thinks they are actually the worst things ever but I think they're worth trying if you liked Babylon 5.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Kibayasu posted:

I will always ever so slightly boost Thirdspace as the most okay B5 TV movie. It's barely connected to anything in the franchise at all besides knowing who the characters are so you can just watch it whenever. A Call to Arms is... adequate, it at least serves to give some closure on the hanging Drakh thread from the seasons.

I don't like them enough to even attempt to argue with a theoretical someone who thinks they are actually the worst things ever but I think they're worth trying if you liked Babylon 5.

yeah thirdspace is fine, it's like a long standalone episode.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I'll go one further and say River of Souls is worth at least one watch, even if only for Ian McShane and the holobrothel owner's lawyer.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

Hollismason posted:

I'll have to check it out. I like reading all the back story related to episodes.

Don’t forget to preload your image cache.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

That made a difference back then.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Winifred Madgers posted:

I'll go one further and say River of Souls is worth at least one watch, even if only for Ian McShane and the holobrothel owner's lawyer.

Not to mention Martin Sheen in his last "slumming it" role before The West Wing.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
So I've been lagging in keeping up with the thread and just decided to throw on A Call To Arms for no real good reason. Man, it somehow feels more 90's than the rest of the show. Everything feels very very forced like you'd never really find in B5. If the main tract is epic poetry (because let's be honest, everything is huge and wild) then A Call To Arms feels like a screaming beat poet going off on one.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.
yeah but Tony Todd

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

V-Men posted:

yeah but Tony Todd

Genuinely one of my favorite things I remember from it (I'm legit 34 minutes deep) but I tell my niece the same thing about monsters when she gets scared at night. It works too.

Edit: Ooof. I remember being way more tolerant of the score when I was a teen (I was that kid reading the Lurkers Guide like a drat addict). Even weirder is that I actually kinda like the Crusade main theme.

EDIT THE SECOND (said in extreme Galen Voice): 47 minutes in, Sheridan on his poo poo is extremely good

J33uk fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Oct 8, 2021

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Hollismason posted:

If you can get your hands on the script books, it has extensive commentary from JMS on each episode (that he wrote). Some of it you can dig out of the Lurker's guide, some of it you can't since it was written much later. I really enjoy reading those.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

This was to be dealt with in Crusade, which only got a single partial season. And I have not watched it, I really should. I got through Legend of the Rangers, it can't be worse.

Speaking of, don't forget the movies! There's one extremely good one, three mediocre, and one :stare:

Crusade is frustrating but well worth it. The main problem is several characters don’t get much development yet in the filmed stories and there’s only bare hints about where their personal stories might go.

Suggestions: pick a watch order and use it, but maybe watch the “aired first” and “filmed to be aired first” episodes first. Because aside from the dodgy CGI, the episode made to be aired first largely avoids the early B5 problems, while the one actually aired first is full of network interference fingerprints (“we want a fist-fight! Add an ace pilot character who will be sexy and kewl!”).

Also, do a bit of research into the bullshit notes JMS was getting so you can see how he’s trolling the network by adding things that otherwise seem weird. “Moar sex, esp alien sex” leads JMS to create a huge jellyfish in hyperspace that tries to hump the ship, for example. The episodes produced first represent what JMS wanted to do, and they mostly come late in the aired watch order, so be aware of that.

The original Crusade DVDs had some commentary tracks from JMS, but WB violated their deal with him by editing out a few bits addressing TNT’s awfulness and replacing them with audio from interviews. JMS was furious and pulled his commentary from future pressings of the DVDs. I don’t know if they’re easily available, but they are worth doing a little digging for.

Also, $30 for Lost Tales is a bit steep. WB, in 2007, giving JMS slightly more than twice the budget for a single episode of B5 in the 90s to produce twice as much content, but without any of the original sets, props, or even CGI models. (Most shows, and B5 was no exception, used the pilot to invest in sets and costumes and so on that could be reused throughout the series, and then purchased new sets and props each season to be reused as well.)

Another useful point of comparison: WB budgeted $2 million in 2007 for the Lost Tales. The original pilot, The Gathering, which was the same length but produced in 1993, had $3.5 million dollars to work with.

At least the DVD of Lost Tales has the JMS special features which amount to “here’s the entirely green-screen set we did because WB gave us so little money” and “here’s a sample of the B5 puppet theater I told them would be all I could afford to do on this budget.”

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

For my money, In the Beginning lands entirely because of the Battle of the Line. The president's last speech was moving, and the way they integrated the old scenes from And the Sky Full of Stars with the new material really worked for me.

As for the rest? Ehh, could have been better. Having a lot of it focus on Sheridan, who made his name as the big drat hero of the Earth-Minbari War, and Delenn, who both started and stopped the war, was fair enough, but I think that bending over backwards to include most of the rest of the main cast was a mistake. Just bite the bullet and make it about new characters like the captain who screwed the pooch at first contact, because in that case we'll have no idea if they survive or not. Hell, if some of them DO survive, you've got a character you can bring back in season five if you like.

Give me a Minbari warleader on the ground, maybe Branmer who's body is the focus of Legacies, or a Narn smuggling weapons in to EarthForce or some League of Non-Aligned Worlds folks helping evacuate humans to neutral territory as the Line happens. Stuff like that. I didn't really need Franklin, Susan, or even Londo or G'kar in this one, honestly.

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Oct 8, 2021

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Actors gotta get paid.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

I am okay with seeing what G’Kar and Londo were doing, but it should have been separated by a degree or two and affected things indirectly.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

ultrafilter posted:

Actors gotta get paid.

If they could stiff Doyle and Conaway, they could stiff the rest of the main cast. :colbert:

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
You're not wrong, the majority of the cast has been stiffed at this point.

:smith:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Watching In the Beginning. Its pretty good!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Q_res posted:

You're not wrong, the majority of the cast has been stiffed at this point.

:smith:

rude

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo

Hollismason posted:

Watching In the Beginning. Its pretty good!

I'm glad you like it! This thread has dogpiled me in the past for recommending it because they think it is terrible. Except for now, when people think it is good. I'm glad people are coming around because it is the best movie and pretty solid overall.

Tyrel Lohr
Mar 1, 2007

No, sir, I don't care for Frungy.

...but not inaccurate. :(

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

OnlyBans posted:

I'm glad you like it! This thread has dogpiled me in the past for recommending it because they think it is terrible. Except for now, when people think it is good. I'm glad people are coming around because it is the best movie and pretty solid overall.

I like Sheridan with the buzzcut to signify he's younger. Overall its pretty good. I'm about half way through it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

OnlyBans posted:

Who ever thought In the Beginning is terrible? :psyduck: It's the only good movie.

I do think the people who recommend watching it first, before the rest of the series, are wrong and bad.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

In the Beginning was really good! I enjoyed it and it was good to watch some more Babylon 5. I don't think I would want to watch it before I watched the series.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Hollismason posted:

In the Beginning was really good! I enjoyed it and it was good to watch some more Babylon 5. I don't think I would want to watch it before I watched the series.

Yeah, it gives too much away to be a good starting place. When it aired is fine, though....right after season four. Maaaaaybe right after War Without End but certainly no earlier than that.

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo
Spoilers can ruin things that rely on a twist. B5 isn't that though. B5 gets better the more you know. Giving people more to know helps draw them in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
I can let stuff like the revised version of The Gathering having Kosh say "Hello, Ranger One Valen" to Sinclair the first time he meets him slide because nobody will know what those words mean for years, but In The Beginning shows way too many cards to be watched first