Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Colonel Cancer posted:

I don't think we're supposed to be done with it, the people saying that poo poo are your enemy
Not yet, but numbers are trending down. In my state of NC we're just under 4k new cases a day (7 day average) and have been declining by about 1k/week. Hospitalizations have been trending down too in their laggy way. And while masks are common they're far from universal, and restaurants and such are also packed, so I don't think we're seeing great results from NPIs--just our mediocre vaccination rate combined with natural immunity. I think there's plenty of reason to be hopeful, it'll just take a bit more patience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

You were just being proactive - she is going to ghost everyone pretty soon anyway.

:golfclap:

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Getting my booster next Thursday AND my flu shot. Gonna be so loving VAXXXED

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Captain Yossarian posted:

How many Gs do you get from the flu shot now?

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Scarodactyl posted:

Not yet, but numbers are trending down. In my state of NC we're just under 4k new cases a day (7 day average) and have been declining by about 1k/week. Hospitalizations have been trending down too in their laggy way. And while masks are common they're far from universal, and restaurants and such are also packed, so I don't think we're seeing great results from NPIs--just our mediocre vaccination rate combined with natural immunity. I think there's plenty of reason to be hopeful, it'll just take a bit more patience.

urban NC has insanely better masking than a lot of places, people will dutifully wear their KN-95 right up until they're seated at the restaurant lol

i think it might make a bigger difference in schools than anywhere else but lol the state leg

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

AnnoyBot posted:

I don't know if we're still doing anecdotes but...

My ex-coworker, who is fully Pfizer vaxxed, tested positive on Sunday and has been posting from the hospital since last night with 91-94% SpO2 levels. Apparently they won't give MABs at this point, but he's getting an antiviral. He's an uber nerd, and is the type to be performatively extra-careful; however he did go to a 49ers game recently. Beyond that I don't know how he got it, except bad luck.

Sigh. We were supposed to be done with this.

If done with it means 2-300k people die a year while countless others are crippled in the 'endemic' phase then yeah, we're done with it. All the talking heads I see predicting "endemic sniffles but back to life" also said we were done in June and it couldn't evolve to be worse.

I'm praying my family can avoid catching this poo poo even once until tech advances more.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

PhazonLink posted:

e^ : lol Fox , Tuck, Zuck, and Murdolph need to loving burn in hell.

I remember some 2020 spring or summer bird post about a woman that accidental revealed how old she was because she apparently remembers her parents chosing between sugar cube polio vac or the good old stabby needle.

Sabin was introduced when I was in primary school, so we lined up for the sugar cube.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420

poll plane variant posted:

urban NC has insanely better masking than a lot of places, people will dutifully wear their KN-95 right up until they're seated at the restaurant lol

i think it might make a bigger difference in schools than anywhere else but lol the state leg

I was refused alcohol service down there once because I wore my mask while ordering lol, which is normal in New York and which I have done in Pennsyltuckey no problem

I was told it was for out of state license but you know why

better than Gastonia though

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
If I went to a state and they wouldn't let me drink because I was out of state I'd go ballistic.

That's not a real thing.

lifetime supply of Pocky
Aug 19, 2003

Pennywise the Frown posted:

If I went to a state and they wouldn't let me drink because I was out of state I'd go ballistic.

That's not a real thing.

i was a 7/11 cashier in my 20s and we had a little booklet with examples of every state, military ID, passports, the whole nine yards.

op is correct that they were lying cowards

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

That's not a real thing.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

That's not a real thing.

my license routinely gets rejected when visiting family in Ohio because either 1) New Mexico is a foreign country or 2) New Mexico is not a real state

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
Australia has a new Delta strain. Not enough cases yet to know whether that's significant.

quote:

Chant says that genomic sequencing has shown that some people are being infected with a strain of Delta which is “different genome sequencing to the current strain circulating in Sydney”.

She caveated that by saying that there is “no indication” that the strain presents any difference to transmission, vaccine effectiveness or severity.

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...f08b65501fec110

ATAGI has recommended a third dose for severely immunocompromised people.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420

quote:

“I actually have this note,” Courtney recalls saying. She pulled it up on her phone and held it out. “Do you mind wearing a mask?”

Her colleague didn’t look at the phone. She didn’t need to mask, the woman said. She had antibodies.

Courtney tried again. She told her colleague she was worried about what the virus could do to her baby. Even if there was no damage, she said, they might have to take the baby after birth to isolate her.

Courtney said that her colleague looked at her across the desk and said: “I’m not worried about it.”

https://www.propublica.org/article/were-losing-our-humanity-and-the-pandemic-is-to-blame

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

The real take-away here is that people only really notice how much damage these assholes have been doing forever when it's suddenly directly affecting them.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s a bit rich of ProPublica to claim to care about kids now when they were so proud of their role in opening up New York City’s schools in April.

https://www.propublica.org/article/my-kids-school-closed-again-so-i-started-calling-experts/

https://www.propublica.org/article/new-york-city-kills-covid-rule-that-led-to-repeated-school-closings-despite-no-evidence-of-outbreaks/

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Lolie posted:

Australia has a new Delta strain. Not enough cases yet to know whether that's significant.

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...f08b65501fec110

Huh, I wonder if it's a locally brewed variant or it snuck it from overseas. They'll be able to figure out its lineage via genomic sequencing so I guess we'll find out sometime.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I hate this article because it does not attempt to say anything but "boy this sucks and good people are pointlessly enduring it".

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

AnnoyBot posted:

I don't know if we're still doing anecdotes but...

My ex-coworker, who is fully Pfizer vaxxed, tested positive on Sunday and has been posting from the hospital since last night with 91-94% SpO2 levels. Apparently they won't give MABs at this point, but he's getting an antiviral. He's an uber nerd, and is the type to be performatively extra-careful; however he did go to a 49ers game recently. Beyond that I don't know how he got it, except bad luck.

Sigh. We were supposed to be done with this.

Vaxxed people really aren't done with it yet. The covid dashboard for King County WA lists cases, hospitalizations and deaths with a breakdown of how many were fully vaxxed or not and in the last 30 days fully vaxxed people made up 1/3 of cases and 1/5 of hospitalizations and deaths:

91-94% SpO2 is a pretty good sign though, in some parts of the country where the hospitals are straining under crazy workloads they might have just sent him home with an oxygen tank and best wishes

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Seth Pecksniff posted:

I feel like I have a breakthrough case but it doesn't seem terrible (but I'm not sure what else it could be).

I woke up this morning and my body temp is slightly higher than normal. It reminds me of when I got the shot (Moderna) but on a much less worse scale. I've been kinda warm and tired all day, but my head and everything is fine. Woke up stuffy but I took an allergy pill and that cleared up

Is it possible that I could have an extremely mild case?

from a few pages ago but i just caught a case as well and this has been my experience. surprisingly similar to how my second shot felt

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Vaxxed people really aren't done with it yet. The covid dashboard for King County WA lists cases, hospitalizations and deaths with a breakdown of how many were fully vaxxed or not and in the last 30 days fully vaxxed people made up 1/3 of cases and 1/5 of hospitalizations and deaths:

91-94% SpO2 is a pretty good sign though, in some parts of the country where the hospitals are straining under crazy workloads they might have just sent him home with an oxygen tank and best wishes

So, for clarity: the bottom charts represent the past 30 days and the top numbers represent since mid January?

These are pretty hard to parse, since each section appears to contradict itself: "unvaccinated people are 78 times more likely to die of Covid (21% of deaths were fully vaccinated people.)"

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Castaign posted:

So, for clarity: the bottom charts represent the past 30 days and the top numbers represent since mid January?

These are pretty hard to parse, since each section appears to contradict itself: "unvaccinated people are 78 times more likely to die of Covid (21% of deaths were fully vaccinated people.)"

No both charts are for the last 30 days, they normalized the start per capita and there's a lot more vaxxed people than unvaxxed:

..... but 5,500 breakthrough infections, 122 breakthrough hospitalizations and 26 breakthrough deaths in just 30 days in just one county are still pretty bad

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

The craziest part is that this is heaven. We are in it right now.

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Oct 8, 2021

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Castaign posted:

You've got to adjust for the relative population sizes. The vaccinated population is much higher than the unvaccinated population, so the 21% of deaths that are from the vaccinated population are a drastic under representation compared to the unvaccinated population.

If 15% of the population were unvaccinated and 15% of deaths were from unvaccinated people then we'd conclude that getting vaccinated made no difference.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

I'm speaking about his scenario where they are apparently going to go on a rampage and kill everyone in the cafe.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Talkc posted:

What the everloving christ. You say you lean left, but did you hit your head on a overhang when you leaned?

Talkc posted:

Can i point out that most of the major shootings in the last while in the United States have been by people who have *not* been schizophrenic? and that a large majority of the Jan 6th insurrectionist while very misdirected, were not schizophrenic.

And that labeling schizophrenics as a hazard to the public is some real hosed up poo poo?

Would it be fair for me to label Australians as a cognito hazard? No. That would be a generalist Prejudiced statement. That is an example of what you DONT do.

I dont know where youve gotten your truly hosed up education on mental health, but most schizophrenics when they have a break dont just suddenly MAUL THE PUBLIC. or whatever jackass idea you think happens.

It is some really hypocritical poo poo for you to call poo poo on your brother when you yourself talk some screwed up poo poo. Runs in the family i guess.

Saalkin posted:

Cut him some slack he is Australian after all. Being upside down makes all the blood rush to the brain.

Uh, maybe you guys should reread the conversation. You're yelling at the wrong guy. I was rightly highly offended by the implications he made around schizophrenia, HE was the one who made the implications. loving morons.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

I'm speaking about his scenario where they are apparently going to go on a rampage and kill everyone in the cafe.

Why the gently caress would you even entertain that ridiculous scenario rather than shooting it down immediately

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

Why the gently caress would you even entertain that ridiculous scenario rather than shooting it down immediately

Jesus Christ you guys are hosed, I'm on your side and agree with you, but you all wanna gatekeep because of some bullshit nuance you added to the conversation that you weren't privy to. I told him it was ridiculous because schizophrenics don't present a public health danger and then said even if they did it doesn't spread like COVID does. Tell me which part of this untrue and unfair? The reason I "entertained" the argument (wtf?) was to illustrate to him that even if his belief was true it STILL didn't present the same risk, his argument was flawed on multiple levels and I explained that to him. But cool, I'm the bad guy.

putin is a cunt fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Oct 8, 2021

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

I thought it would be pretty safe to walk in here and say schizophrenics don't kill people in cafes but apparently that's contentious in these dead gay forums.

Edit: and apparently that makes me a "typical Australian" despite Australia having much better mental health care than the US?

putin is a cunt fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Oct 8, 2021

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

gay picnic defence posted:

If 15% of the population were unvaccinated and 15% of deaths were from unvaccinated people then we'd conclude that getting vaccinated made no difference.

It's still not quite to the point where we can make causal conclusions or estimate vaccine effectiveness because we'd also need to adjust for other factors that might be different between vaxed and unvaxed (age, occupational risk, etc.)

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I thought it would be pretty safe to walk in here and say schizophrenics don't kill people in cafes but apparently that's contentious in these dead gay forums.

Edit: and apparently that makes me a "typical Australian" despite Australia having much better mental health care than the US?

Take the loss and let it go - you're just digging yourself deeper at this point.

A mea culpa or a closing statement would have been fine, but dredging it up from a page or two ago to continue to going on and on about it is just making it worse.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

hey dumb dumb:
You said:

quote:

I did, I made several points:

1) Schizophrenics are not guaranteed to have some psychotic break when they enter a cafe
2) Even if they did, it would potentially result in some deaths in the cafe, let's say 20
3) Schizophrenia is not transmissible and so the impact would be confined to that cafe

2) Even if they did, it would potentially result in some deaths in the cafe, let's say 20

This is not a thing that happens. This is what people are upset about. Schizophrenics don't go on rampages even if they "crack"

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

No both charts are for the last 30 days, they normalized the start per capita and there's a lot more vaxxed people than unvaxxed:

..... but 5,500 breakthrough infections, 122 breakthrough hospitalizations and 26 breakthrough deaths in just 30 days in just one county are still pretty bad

gay picnic defence posted:

You've got to adjust for the relative population sizes. The vaccinated population is much higher than the unvaccinated population, so the 21% of deaths that are from the vaccinated population are a drastic under representation compared to the unvaccinated population.

:doh:

Thank you both for the clarification; in the future I should wait until I'm fully awake before complaining that something doesn't make sense.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Captain Yossarian posted:

I've been putting off my booster because I'm getting a flu shot this weekend; I don't know anything about poo poo so I don't know whether this is reasonable

Might even put it off until November just to keep the ole antibodies topped up for Thanksgiving and Christmas, which are pretty god drat likely to result in big increases in case numbers

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

QuarkJets posted:

I've been putting off my booster because I'm getting a flu shot this weekend; I don't know anything about poo poo so I don't know whether this is reasonable

Might even put it off until November just to keep the ole antibodies topped up for Thanksgiving and Christmas, which are pretty god drat likely to result in big increases in case numbers

The guidance earlier this year was to wait weeks between the vaccinations, but that was rescinded a month or two ago and now they say it's find to get a covid shot and flu shot at the same time. I know people who got screwed with the gamble earlier in the year when vaccine eligibility was a moving target and they decided to get their flu shot, and then they become eligible for a covid shot, but that should no longer be a thing.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

Wendigee posted:

hey dumb dumb:
You said:

This is not a thing that happens. This is what people are upset about. Schizophrenics don't go on rampages even if they "crack"

Hey dumb dumb

You're a loving idiot if you read that post and think that is MY interpretation of what might happen.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

Wendigee posted:

No poo poo you loving idiot, that was MY point

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

I'm dropping it but I'm so loving disappointed in this poo poo. I came here to talk to you guys about th horrible poo poo my brother had said who made some horrible suppositions around schizophrenic people, and to be honest I don't understand why people are attributing those beliefs to me. But they are and even though I agree with every point they're making I'm now a oval office I guess. I've long suffered from mental illness and I don't really want to get into the details of it but honestly you're all being horrible.