Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

nonathlon posted:

Pathfinder forked from D&D partly so people could keep playing 3.5, and partly to tweak the rules, right? So if Pathfinder is going to remap onto D&D v5 ... why not just play D&D, or is there something more on offer?

I think this is less "we must protect our precious tummyfeels from the future" and more "we love this game, for some goddamn reason, but it also sucks, so let's try to make it suck less." It's just that as products those two attitudes can result in largely the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gao
Aug 14, 2005
"Something." - A famous guy

nonathlon posted:

Pathfinder forked from D&D partly so people could keep playing 3.5, and partly to tweak the rules, right? So if Pathfinder is going to remap onto D&D v5 ... why not just play D&D, or is there something more on offer?

So while I've moved back to 4e for the games I run largely due to it having more depth in both character creation in combat, other people I play with are sticking with 5e. Supposedly, this book is designed so that you can have a party mixed with these classes as well as the vanilla 5e ones without much issue. So assuming they pull it off, this book will let me be able to have more fun in the games my friends run.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Couple new boardgame KSes that seemed interesting (although I haven't delved deep enough to say whether or not they seem like they play well):

Fractal is a space 4x if Voidfall wasn't your bag. The expansion has some sort of legacy component to it.

Mythwind is an asymmetrical co-op game that seemingly doesn't have an objective? Like you play and build up a town together and then I guess just retire it whenever you feel like it and start a new game. I dig the way that it did "saving" the game, though, with personalized trays for each character where they slot in their progress, which (theoretically) preserves it.

Octavo
Feb 11, 2019

Gao posted:

So while I've moved back to 4e for the games I run largely due to it having more depth in both character creation in combat, other people I play with are sticking with 5e. Supposedly, this book is designed so that you can have a party mixed with these classes as well as the vanilla 5e ones without much issue. So assuming they pull it off, this book will let me be able to have more fun in the games my friends run.

The pitch is also that it's adding more 4e into the mix with a full warlord class and a rebuilt fighter with much more than the single page of maneuvers that Mearls left the class with.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

nonathlon posted:

...I was using "Pathfindering" as a verb, not a noun. This isn't a PF thing in the sense of actually being related to the game Pathfinder, they are "Pathfindering" in the sense of trying to do for 5E what Pathfinder did for 3.5E.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

dwarf74 posted:

Goddamn it. Morrus does not write good rules, and I'm not remotely the audience for "5E but MORE!"... However there's a Zeitgeist setting guide as an add-on and. Well, poo poo.

If it helps you decide, I've read the current 5e version of Zeitgeist and it suuuuuuuuuuucks.

Zeitgeist as an AP was written (as far as I can tell) with a clear-sighted view of what makes 4e great and leaned heavily on those elements -- but those don't translate to 5e at all.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

potatocubed posted:

If it helps you decide, I've read the current 5e version of Zeitgeist and it suuuuuuuuuuucks.

Zeitgeist as an AP was written (as far as I can tell) with a clear-sighted view of what makes 4e great and leaned heavily on those elements -- but those don't translate to 5e at all.

Makes sense. I was in a short lived game of the Pathfinder version and it was very clear that it was designed for 4e and only barely adapted.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

potatocubed posted:

I'm in for £1 for a PDF of the setting material, not the rules. :)

And wow, that does not remotely surprise me. It was such a good 4e campaign, and I can't imagine it being nearly as fun in anything else.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

senrath posted:

Makes sense. I was in a short lived game of the Pathfinder version and it was very clear that it was designed for 4e and only barely adapted.

It's funny, because some of the stuff they crowbarred into Zeitgeist 4e clearly came from Pathfinder or earlier editions of D&D. Like there are weapons and monsters that can make you lose limbs. Great, the party's Warden lost a limb in a fight. Turns out 4e D&D doesn't have rules to grow a limb back, because 4e D&D doesn't have rules for limb loss in the first place.

I'll agree with dwarf74 as well, some of the worst stuff in Zeitgeist was when the adventure writers decided that the existing rules of the game they were playing weren't good enough, and decided to write entire new rules systems for themselves - the naval combat rules are widely regarded as bad, the prestige system is very wonky if players actually lean into it, and the rules they wrote for long-running investigations and building projects got boring long before they looked like they were going to conclude. I think in every situation where they'd written a rules system like that I ended up re-routing the game into using normal rules on the fly.

Am I nuts as well, or is £60 for four PDFs a lot? I guess they are big PDFs.

Gort fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Oct 6, 2021

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today
The main author of Zeitgeist explained it this way:

quote:

The actual process was that I wrote adventures 1 and 2, and other authors for 3 and 4, and we got Thurston Hillman to convert them to PF, then he wrote adv 5, I did 6 and 7, he did 8, I did 9, he did 10, Liz Courts and I did 11, and I did the rest. The ones where Thurston or Liz were lead, they wrote them first in PF, and I converted to 4e. Everything else was written in 4e first, then converted to PF.

The 4e iterations had more flavorful attacks and special abilities, at least for the first 5 adventures. Starting with Thurston's conversion of adventure 6, and his writing on 8, he got comfortable stepping away from PF norms and throwing in more unique powers.

Because PF's overall style is closer to 5e's style (none of the 4e healing surges, encounter powers, etc), the people who did the 5e conversion used the PF version as a baseline. So the first five 5e adventures have fairly normal combat encounters, but starting around adventure 6 (when Thurston got more adventurous in his PF mechanics), the 5e adventures also get more adventurous.

He also said that while he wasn't involved in 5e and Pathfinder conversions early on, he planned to be in the future. There's some hope that new stuff will be better than past 5e stuff.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
That explains a lot.

Sanglorian
Apr 13, 2013

Games, games, games
On Level Up, the monster redesign has been led by Paul Hughes (Blog of Holding), the guy behind "Monster Manual 3 on a Business Card", which was/is a really useful resource for 4E players. So I trust that this part of Level Up, at least, has been carefully thought through - you can read his summary of his contributions here, and that blog in general has a lot of good stuff on how different D&D forks approach monster design differently.

Doesn't mean it'll be your cup of tea, of course!

Sanglorian fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Oct 6, 2021

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
That is a pretty convincing blog post, I agree with everything he's said there.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
1500 pages lol

but "I play a lot of high-level D&D," and the rest of the post actually make me think they might be... improving... 5e? making it decent? doing game design?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Gort posted:

That is a pretty convincing blog post, I agree with everything he's said there.
Yeah.

Huh.

Am I going to get this for more than just the Zeitgeist guide? I'm considering it more than I was.

E: I don't know from 5e but they posted this. Haven't looked closely yet.
https://www.levelup5e.com/news/class-preview-adept

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Oct 7, 2021

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

So AZADI, the expansion to SHASN, wraps up soon, and I'm eyeing it. Has anyone played the original, is it worth going in on?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/zainmemon/shasn-azadi-what-will-freedom-cost

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Tsilkani posted:

So AZADI, the expansion to SHASN, wraps up soon, and I'm eyeing it. Has anyone played the original, is it worth going in on?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/zainmemon/shasn-azadi-what-will-freedom-cost

From what I can tell, it's a separate game with shared mechanics, although I assume there's nothing stopping you from using the azadi scenarios in shasn.

I backed it, then canceled my pledge after looking at a few gameplay vids of shasn. It seemed like having to do the narrative thing every turn can really kill the flow of the game. I also noticed that the players in the shasn game I watched had a lot of dead turns, where they didn't really do anything to affect the board since they didn't have the resources to get new dudes.

But this is just from watching the game being played and reading the rules. Maybe actually playing it is a different experience, but I didn't really feel like gambling a hundred dollars to find out.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here
Looks like a localization of Psychic Pizza Deliverers go to the Ghost Town is coming to kickstarter soon. Definitely recommend it as a fun little deduction game where I've spent too much time arguing about what the green leaf pizza is.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I've seen goons talk about it as a bit of a hidden gem, so cheers for the heads up.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

GrandpaPants posted:

From what I can tell, it's a separate game with shared mechanics, although I assume there's nothing stopping you from using the azadi scenarios in shasn.

I backed it, then canceled my pledge after looking at a few gameplay vids of shasn. It seemed like having to do the narrative thing every turn can really kill the flow of the game. I also noticed that the players in the shasn game I watched had a lot of dead turns, where they didn't really do anything to affect the board since they didn't have the resources to get new dudes.

But this is just from watching the game being played and reading the rules. Maybe actually playing it is a different experience, but I didn't really feel like gambling a hundred dollars to find out.

I really enjoy Shasn. It can play very fast and be dynamic. It's basically an engine building game where you build resources and actions. You have to think a lot about how you are building and how your opponents are building. You may have a few dead turns early on but they are all to build the engine. You can also add a lot of complexity through opinion components and rules. By default you have 4 lines of upgrades you can get based on ideologies. Then you could add elites which are combos of ideologies with other powers. You can add powers to territories that the person who controls them gains as well. In larger games you can add a stability track that players have to balance as well or the country becomes unstable and impacts gameplay.

Once you get the engine running there are a lot of strategic levers you can pull. If you invest heavily in the Showstopper Ideology you can put down a lot of votes to quickly take territory. However, your opponent who invested in capitalism might just evict them or you Idealist opponent my convert them to his voters. Someone can get an early lead but then get shut down hard as other players powers come online.

The game is easy enough to teach my kid or a very new gamer within a few minutes. Learning all the strategy interactions can be really deep. My family enjoys it about as much as Wingspan.

I think Azadi will feel very similar. It has a lot of the same bones but just new areas of complexity.

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Oct 8, 2021

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

My copy of Radlands arrived today and Roxley Games have knocked it out of the park again.

I got the Super Deluxe edition, which is limited, and looks like Australia got in on the arse end of it :v:

Inside looks fantastic as well, and comes with 2 game mats.

The actual game box itself is teeny tiny

Outside has a magnetic clasp

Every inch of the outside is gorgeous

Not an inch wasted inside, with the manual hiding up the back

They've gone the extra mile as well as even the slots where you store your cards have artwork

The cards themselves are made using a new process they're calling Synth Cards - Removing the need to sleeve.

They've got a unique sheen to them and feel really great in your hands. I suck at shuffling, but these 'slide' across each other fantastically.

I'm not going to get the mats out until I'm ready to play, but Rodney over at Watch It Played just put up a great 17min How To Play as part of the campaign which shows them off.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00HDPb-BrLA

Really really happy with this. I was already super impressed with Steampunk Rally Atomic Deluxe Edition, and the set of Iron Clays I got with it, and now I have this work of art in my collection as well.

Heavily considering backing Dice Throne x Marvel purely off the back of this, cause I feel comfortable trusting Roxley for their Kickstarter stuff.
Quality and price point is :kiss:

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
That looks great, regretting not backing. How was the shipping to Oz? That's what usually puts me off.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

$50 Canadian for base pledge
$25 for Deluxe upgrade
$15 shipping to Australia

Fantastic pricing.

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

Kickstarters in Canadian dollars are the only time I see decent value anymore (especially post-Brexit)

Anything from Roxley or Burnt Island Games always gets you a shitload for your money

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Hollandia posted:

That looks great, regretting not backing. How was the shipping to Oz? That's what usually puts me off.

Oh also you can still order this if you want, and even get the Deluxe version

https://radlands.backerkit.com/hosted_preorders

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Infinitum posted:

They've got a unique sheen to them and feel really great in your hands. I suck at shuffling, but these 'slide' across each other fantastically.

That card tech is what made me curious about the project, but not enough to buy in. They kind of look like a cross between a linen-finished/air cushioned card (like a Bicycle deck) and a matte sleeve (like a Dragon Shield Matte). How do they feel compared to something like a MTG or other CCG card? Assuming you've actually handled enough of them to have an opinion, of course.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Radlands looks pretty rad and I'm glad I backed it. Hopefully it shows up soon.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Magnetic North posted:

That card tech is what made me curious about the project, but not enough to buy in. They kind of look like a cross between a linen-finished/air cushioned card (like a Bicycle deck) and a matte sleeve (like a Dragon Shield Matte). How do they feel compared to something like a MTG or other CCG card? Assuming you've actually handled enough of them to have an opinion, of course.

I do not play MTG, CCGs, nor do I typically sleeve my cards.
I do, however, own a copy of the base Arkham Horror CCG and can at least give you a lay persons perspective.

Radlands left, Arkham right.

Radlands is a thicker 'card' stock than Arkham.
Through some very light flexing a standard Arkham card started to retain a bow to it, whereas the Radland remained straight.

-------------------

Side by side under light.

On the bottom row I focus the light on the Radlands card, and then the Arkham to try and show the patterns.

You can notice on the Arkham card that it has a standard interwoven horizontal and vertical pattern to the card stock, whereas the Radlands card doesn't really have one.
It definitely has a more 'plastic' texturing to it.

The Radlands card has a 'bumpier' texture to it compared to the Arkham card, and the friction feel when rubbing two similar cards against each other is completely different.
Arkham cards will 'grip' each other
Radlands cards seem to glide over one another.
As I mentioned earlier I am very average at shuffling cards, but the Radlands cards were very easy for me to shuffle as they were just gliding over each other on a standard shuffle.

If you could replace the cards in all of my board games with this type of card stock I would do so without complaints
They don't feel like any card I've dealt with before across all of my collection, but they're probably the nicest cards I've had in my hands for a long time if that makes sense?

They're plastic cards that act like paper.

Not sure how useful that is to you, but they feel super loving nice and they feel and look like a very high quality card. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Infinitum fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Oct 8, 2021

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

They look almost like the plastic that Chip Theory use for all of their cards, except the colors aren't horribly washed out.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Yeah the Watch It Played video shows them off really well. All the colours are super bright and vibrant with a matte finish.

I don't want to ramble on or get too wanky about it, but they're super nice cards and I can't say enough nice things about them

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Infinitum posted:

The cards themselves are made using a new process they're calling Synth Cards - Removing the need to sleeve.

Not sure how that removes the need to sleeve since sleeves have always been about preserving the edges of cards for me. Then again, I'm not great at bridge shuffling unless there's just the right number of cards (40-80 or so), so I usually use edge-to-edge shuffling.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Infinitum posted:

:words: about sexy, sexy cards

Thanks for the layman's perspective. I'm a card game player so I really want to get my grubby mitts on them to see them in person but I don't want to buy it just to look at sexy plastic cards. I already have a copy of Gloom for that.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Zurai posted:

Not sure how that removes the need to sleeve since sleeves have always been about preserving the edges of cards for me. Then again, I'm not great at bridge shuffling unless there's just the right number of cards (40-80 or so), so I usually use edge-to-edge shuffling.

If it’s plastic instead of card stock the edges shouldn’t fray and wear out.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Hexplore It 1 through 3 showed up yesterday and I'm beyond excited. I never knew how much I wanted this game system and its mix of tactics and storytelling until it showed up and I started feeling out its possibilities.

It's rad.

/kiryu

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Memnaelar posted:

Hexplore It 1 through 3 showed up yesterday and I'm beyond excited. I never knew how much I wanted this game system and its mix of tactics and storytelling until it showed up and I started feeling out its possibilities.

It's rad.

/kiryu

Got mine too and I’m so excited. Going to be a pain in the rear end to haul it across the country with me (of course it arrived after the movers came but before I moved), though. That was a solid brick of a box full of goodness they dropped off!

Might dig into a solo play of it or something over my next work holiday and try it out. It seems so great!

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Agrias120 posted:

Got mine too and I’m so excited. Going to be a pain in the rear end to haul it across the country with me (of course it arrived after the movers came but before I moved), though. That was a solid brick of a box full of goodness they dropped off!

Might dig into a solo play of it or something over my next work holiday and try it out. It seems so great!

My first play of Dead King is set up and ready to go when I finish my workday today; it and a bourbon will make up for a pretty crappy work week. I had thought Shurax would be WAY too monstrous of an open world to be enjoyable, but now I'm thinking a few plays of this and Adrimon should smooth me right into the world's best Dark Sun/Egyptian mythology mash-up with way, way, WAY more options than any open-world boardgame should have in a box this small.

I'm crazy impressed. Not sure if I'd ever 2P it with anyone other than my wife (much less ever get to 4 or 6 players) but who knows?

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Memnaelar posted:

My first play of Dead King is set up and ready to go when I finish my workday today; it and a bourbon will make up for a pretty crappy work week. I had thought Shurax would be WAY too monstrous of an open world to be enjoyable, but now I'm thinking a few plays of this and Adrimon should smooth me right into the world's best Dark Sun/Egyptian mythology mash-up with way, way, WAY more options than any open-world boardgame should have in a box this small.

I'm crazy impressed. Not sure if I'd ever 2P it with anyone other than my wife (much less ever get to 4 or 6 players) but who knows?

I'd love to hear your thoughts after your first play session! I originally bought it for my Gloomhaven group to dig into as a big change of pace for us, but now that I'm no longer living locally to them I think it'll end up a solo play kind of thing primarily.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Memnaelar posted:

It's rad.

/kiryu

I immensely regret that I went all-in after they ran out of the early ship for 1-3, but this just means I'll have a gigantic box coming to me sometime next year (hopefully).

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

70min warning on - Shasn/Azadi - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/zainmemon/shasn-azadi-what-will-freedom-cost
34hr warning on - Eastern/Mega Empires - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/999games/eastern-empires

I'm backing a $1 on Eastern Empires. Gonna see if they have Western Empires on the cheap via the pledge manager.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Infinitum posted:

70min warning on - Shasn/Azadi - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/zainmemon/shasn-azadi-what-will-freedom-cost
34hr warning on - Eastern/Mega Empires - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/999games/eastern-empires

I'm backing a $1 on Eastern Empires. Gonna see if they have Western Empires on the cheap via the pledge manager.

Ive been thinking about SHASN/AZADI but I don't particularly understand if I need both or just one, it's a bit expensive for both, $200 for something IDK if I'm even going to like seems too much

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Oct 9, 2021