Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Nix Panicus posted:

Remember when Sanders told Warren in a private meeting in 2018 to get ready because Trump would attack her for being a woman, and then an anonymous staffer leaked 'Sanders said women can't win' the day before the last debate before primaries so the moderator would have fuel to get Warren to call Sanders a sexist on stage? What a scandal!

she refused to shake his hand at the debate and tried to get some serpico hot mic moment going
the snake emoji people were right, that's what she is
of course bernie later turned into panders so who cares

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

where's the lie

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Trillhouse posted:

the reason they burned all his stuff is ???

who doesn't like a good fire?

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

I am starting a fund that exclusively invests in Bill Cosby and R. Kelly. Does that challenge you? Good.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

NY Times comments

When you've rushed past the "THIS IS NOT A PLACE OF HONOR" signs and just crept past the "NO SERIOUSLY" ones.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Nix Panicus posted:

Remember when Sanders told Warren in a private meeting in 2018 to get ready because Trump would attack her for being a woman, and then an anonymous staffer leaked 'Sanders said women can't win' the day before the last debate before primaries so the moderator would have fuel to get Warren to call Sanders a sexist on stage? What a scandal!

The hope is learning about candidates and voting for them in a primary will build a sense of ownership that will last into the general, and that the work of convincing themselves to vote for a 'compromise' candidate will have already been done

didnt warren even play some smug bullshit about 'well this is what i heard' even when sanders denied thats what he said

therapy concepts about how everyone's truth is their own so that no one can actually discuss anything because they want to tediously examine how they felt at the time rather than putting things behind them

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Doctor Jeep posted:

she refused to shake his hand at the debate and tried to get some serpico hot mic moment going
the snake emoji people were right, that's what she is
of course bernie later turned into panders so who cares

Do you think there was a point where Bernie realized a person who he had considered a colleague and friend had just set him up and backstabbed him on national TV, but that he still had to carry on with the 'my good friend Joe' routine or he'd get blamed for Trump yet again, and his soul just shattered?

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

docbeard posted:

When you've rushed past the "THIS IS NOT A PLACE OF HONOR" signs and just crept past the "NO SERIOUSLY" ones.

DON'T LIBS
OPEN INSIDE

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Nix Panicus posted:

The hope is learning about candidates and voting for them in a primary will build a sense of ownership that will last into the general, and that the work of convincing themselves to vote for a 'compromise' candidate will have already been done

yeah and I remember them asking him about it and that he never said that and it was a completely bullshit attempt to twist his words and then they asked lyin liz how she felt when Slurnie said a woman can't be president and she was like "I was hurt, Dr Phil"

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
"I think you called me a liar"

lmao

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Cranappleberry posted:

Med school students and residents will tell you the system is great, though.

meanwhile, there are people who got straight C's getting in because of their dad's connections or barely attending their rotations but the school still keeps them because they don't want to lose the student or the money.

...and one day they'll be your doctor!

What the hell is wrong with getting straight C's?

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

Nix Panicus posted:

Do you think there was a point where Bernie realized a person who he had considered a colleague and friend had just set him up and backstabbed him on national TV, but that he still had to carry on with the 'my good friend Joe' routine or he'd get blamed for Trump yet again, and his soul just shattered?

no I think he's been in congress for decades and knows how american politics works

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Lib and let die posted:

DON'T LIBS
OPEN INSIDE

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

Nix Panicus posted:

I am starting a fund that exclusively invests in Bill Cosby and R. Kelly. Does that challenge you? Good.

Land back I myself will be going with established and well regarded fund The Black Hammers.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

If you don't know who needs to hear something, why are you saying it?

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

I believe in unfettered abortion rights, strong environmental protections, respect for sexual orientation, anti-racism, same sex marriage, high taxes on inheritance, fully nationalized medicine, diversity, globalism... and I drive a Volvo. In 46 years of voting, I have never voted for a Republican.

I love Elizabeth Warren. I have a college degree and associate mostly with doctors, lawyers, engineers and professors.

But... I am so fed up with the Democratic party's trend toward ignorant economics, hypocritical wokesterism, disrespect of the nation's founding ideals and the smug arrogance of many rank and file Democrats toward fellow citizens that...

I'm ready to vote for Liz Cheney if she runs for President. Even if she runs against Elizabeth Warren.

Why? Because Liz Cheney has the guts to stand up against the tide of her party for the higher cause of America itself. I disagree with Cheney on just about everything, but on support for the founding premises of America I see her as a rock - we desperately need more rocks.

I've been waiting and waiting and waiting for Biden or Harris or Warren or Sanders or anyone with a Democratic brand name, to give us a Sister Souljah moment. For at least one Democrat to loudly call out the excesses of BLM, for one of them to LOUDLY defend the police against the lunatic calls to defund them. But Democrats are as scared of their far left as Republicans are of Trump.

I've given up waiting.

Now I'm hoping for a third party.

I am the Joker.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

didnt warren even play some smug bullshit about 'well this is what i heard' even when sanders denied thats what he said

therapy concepts about how everyone's truth is their own so that no one can actually discuss anything because they want to tediously examine how they felt at the time rather than putting things behind them

Sanders flat out denied it, and the moderator ignored him and asked Warren how she felt when Sanders said the thing he just flat out denied having said. It was certainly a moment.

spacemang_spliff posted:

"I think you called me a liar"

lmao

This was over a different thing, where Warren couldn't do some basic math on stage. She'd claimed she was the only person on stage to flip a republican held seat in 40 years, or some other number, and Bernie said 'and me' and her brain just froze and Bernie had to explain that he had flipped his seat within the time limit she had given and she sputtered a bit and got indignant

https://www.rev.com/blog/transcripts/january-iowa-democratic-debate-transcript

quote:

Moderator 2: (41:56)
Let’s now turn to an issue that’s come up in the last 48 hours, Senator Sanders. Seen and reported yesterday that … Senator Sanders, Senator Warren confirmed in a statement that in 2018, you told her that you did not believe that a woman could win the election. Why did you say that?

Bernie Sanders: (42:14)
Well, as a matter of fact, I didn’t say it, and I don’t want to waste a whole lot of time on this, because this is what Donald Trump and maybe some of the media want. Anybody that knows me knows that it’s in comprehensible that I would think that a woman could not be President of the United States. Go to YouTube today. There’s a video of me 30 years ago, talking about how a woman could become President of the United States.

Bernie Sanders: (42:39)
In 2015, I deferred, in fact, to Senate Warren. There was a movement to draft Senator Warren to run for President, and you know what? I stayed back. Senator Warren decided not to run, and I did run afterwards.

Bernie Sanders: (42:55)
Hillary Clinton won the popular vote by three million votes. How could anybody in a million years not believe that a woman could become President of the United States? Let me be very clear. If any of the women on this stage or any of the men on this stage win the nomination … I hope that’s not the case. I hope it’s me. But if they do, I will do everything in my power to make sure that they are elected in order to defeat the most dangerous President in the history of our country.

Moderator 2: (43:26)
So Senator Sanders, Senator Sanders, I do want to be clear here. You’re saying that you never told Senator Warren that a woman could not win the election?

Bernie Sanders: (43:35)
That is correct.

Moderator 2: (43:37)
Senator Warren, what did you think when Senator Sanders told you a woman could not win the election?

E. Warren: (43:44)
I disagreed. Bernie is my friend, and I am not here to try to fight with Bernie. But look. This question about whether or not a woman can be President has been raised, and it’s time for us to attack it head-on. I think the best way to talk about who can win is by looking at people’s winning record.

E. Warren: (44:06)
So can a woman beat Donald Trump? Look at the men on this stage. Collectively, they have lost ten elections. The only people on this stage who have won every single election that they’ve been in are the women. The only person on this stage who has beaten an incumbent Republican anytime in the past 30 years is me, and here’s what I know. The real danger that we face as Democrats is picking a candidate who can’t pull our party together or someone who takes for granted big parts of the Democratic constituency.

Klobuchar says some irrelevant poo poo here

Moderator 2: (46:48)
Senator Sanders, you can respond.

Bernie Sanders: (46:49)
Well, just to set the record straight, I defeated an incumbent Republican running for Congress.

E. Warren: (46:56)
When?

Bernie Sanders: (46:57)
1990. That’s how I won. Beat a Republican Congressman. Number two, of course …

E. Warren: (47:06)
30 years ago.

Bernie Sanders: (47:06)
… I don’t think there’s any debate on …

E. Warren: (47:09)
Wasn’t that 30 years ago?

Bernie Sanders: (47:12)
I beat an incumbent Republican Congressman.

E. Warren: (47:16)
I said I was the only one who has beaten an incumbent Republican in 30 years.

Bernie Sanders: (47:20)
Well, 30 years ago is 1990, as a matter of fact. But I don’t know that that’s the major issue of the day. I think what the major issue of the day is … Does anybody in their right mind thing that a woman cannot be elected President? That’s enough. Nobody believes that. Hillary Clinton got 3 million votes, more votes than Trump. So who believes that a woman can’t win? Of course a woman can win.

lol

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

The Pussy Boss posted:

where's the lie

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
lmao liz warren

she got goaded into taking a DNA test by trump and the pod jons thought it was a good idea too

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

There is nothing you can do to 'get those two in line'. Without them we have no majority.

A deal will be made or we pass infrastructure and move on.

You can't say it because there is no way to do it...if we hammer them Mitch will welcome them with open arms...the only thing we can do is make a deal if possible. And of course, we need to try to win the midterms. There is no magic answer and as another poster noted...there are others besides Manchin and Sinema who are moderates and oppose some aspects of the reconciliation bill...both in the House and in the Senate.

I understand how after we finally won a bit of power, this is frustrating, but our reality is we can not win a majority without moderates and that will always limit some progressive policy. We can move forward. The ACA is an example. Was it everything we wanted... no. But it caused people to view health care as a right, not a privilege, and some of the bills we pass now will act in the same way. We will move forward albeit slower than we wish. But we have to tailor what we do to our political reality and legislate things that can pass the Senate and the House.

And remember, we are putting a good number of judges on the bench...hopefully Breyer retires before 22 and we get a SCOTUS pick for sure. I think we can win some Senate seats in 22. We need to work hard and pass some bills...if all we can do is infrastructure...it will surely help in 22 and 24.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Nichael posted:

If you don't know who needs to hear something, why are you saying it?

They like the sound of their own voice.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
omg how did I miss this

https://twitter.com/DemonFauci/status/1446319387208728577

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Trabisnikof posted:

There is nothing you can do to 'get those two in line'. Without them we have no majority.

You can't say it because there is no way to do it...if we hammer them Mitch will welcome them with open arms...the only thing we can do is make a deal if possible. And of course, we need to try to win the midterms. There is no magic answer and as another poster noted...there are others besides Manchin and Sinema who are moderates and oppose some aspects of the reconciliation bill...both in the House and in the Senate.

I understand how after we finally won a bit of power, this is frustrating, but our reality is we can not win a majority without moderates and that will always limit some progressive policy. We can move forward. The ACA is an example. Was it everything we wanted... no. But it caused people to view health care as a right, not a privilege, and some of the bills we pass now will act in the same way. We will move forward albeit slower than we wish. But we have to tailor what we do to our political reality and legislate things that can pass the Senate and the House.

And remember, we are putting a good number of judges on the bench...hopefully Breyer retires before 22 and we get a SCOTUS pick for sure. I think we can win some Senate seats in 22. We need to work hard and pass some bills...if all we can do is infrastructure...it will surely help in 22 and 24.

lmao

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

...and I drive a Volvo.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

america is a pretty stupid country

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

I think we can win some Senate seats in 22

Trabisnikof posted:

I think we can win back some House seats in 24

Trabisnikof posted:

I think we can win back the White House in 28

Trabisnikof posted:

I think we can reason with the Mike Lindell's Blood Horde

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

CSPAM: Better Known For Other Work

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Nix Panicus posted:

Sanders flat out denied it, and the moderator ignored him and asked Warren how she felt when Sanders said the thing he just flat out denied having said. It was certainly a moment.

This was over a different thing, where Warren couldn't do some basic math on stage. She'd claimed she was the only person on stage to flip a republican held seat in 40 years, or some other number, and Bernie said 'and me' and her brain just froze and Bernie had to explain that he had flipped his seat within the time limit she had given and she sputtered a bit and got indignant

https://www.rev.com/blog/transcripts/january-iowa-democratic-debate-transcript

lol

Oh my god, I forgot that she tried that incredibly selective statistic and completely hosed it up. Good lord that primary was hilarious.

The "I think you called me a liar" line was from the obviously intentional hot mic incident at the same debate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJKml2WUQI4

Good lord was she stupid.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

still nytimes comments, right

the constant...ellipses are some kind of bizarre boomer tic

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I don't know who needs to hear this but rich people should give me lots of money to do whatever I please with, in order to ease their consciences

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Oh my god, I forgot that she tried that incredibly selective statistic and completely hosed it up. Good lord that primary was hilarious.

lol she would've needed to back it all the way up to "unseating a republican in the last 10 years" because bernie beat out the republican incumbent for the house seat in 1990 and then another republican incumbent for the senate seat in 2006

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Klobuchar was the only woman to run a halfway decent campaign out of that primary, weirdly enough. Warren, Gabbard, and Harris were constant own goals.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Still is!

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Lib and let die posted:

DON'T LIBS
OPEN INSIDE

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Chillgamesh posted:

I don't know who needs to hear this but rich people should give me lots of money to do whatever I please with, in order to ease their consciences

But what if I'm rich and I want to give the money to my cool black friends who hang out with me and say I'm cool, and not the ones who are mean to me?

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer
its time to divide wapo

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Jemele normally has some good stuff, but this is just word pudding and too vague to be useful or even in the neighborhood of a "challenge"

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1446511195331117060

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Cpt_Obvious posted:

The "I think you called me a liar" line was from the obviously intentional hot mic incident at the same debate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJKml2WUQI4

Also random third guy (Howard Schultz?) jumping in between them because he was just so happy to meet Bernie Sanders.