Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Sydin posted:

So bay area health officials have been under increasing pressure to end the indoor mask mandate, or at a minimum provide a timetable for when it could feasibly happen. Surprise surprise politicians have decided COVID is over and are mad the people who actually handle public health don't agree. Anyway the local health officials came out today with their criteria for ending the mandate:

Also apparently SF is breaking from the coordinated Bay Area health program and relaxing some indoor mask requirements starting next Friday:
https://twitter.com/LondonBreed/status/1446143571581550598

Ah yes, stable cohorts.... in gyms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
It won't go into effect until certain vaccination and case rates, so if the current trends continues, it'll be late November. If they dont continue, then mask mandate will continue.

Each county will have to hit 80% total vaccinated (including children under 12) and the chron didn't provide specifics for what the case and hospitalization thresholds are, just that none of the counties involved currently meet them yet

https://www.sfchronicle.com/health/article/Mask-mandates-may-soon-come-to-an-end-in-Bay-Area-16516428.php

Edit: I seem to have misread the article, looks like SF is gonna go earlier than everyone else but is also still following the same guidelines :confused:

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Oct 7, 2021

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

The dudes at my gym already have a tenuous relationship with their masks, I would appreciate if the mask mandates were retained as long as possible.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

https://sfmayor.org/article/san-francisco-ease-indoor-mask-requirements-certain-indoor-settings-where-stable-groups

quote:

These settings include offices, gyms, and fitness centers, employee commuter vehicles, religious gatherings, and indoor college classes or other organized gatherings of individuals who meet regularly, not exceeding 100 people. People in these settings may remove their masks if the employer or host of the gathering can control access to the setting and verify 100% full vaccination of everyone in the setting. The employer or host must also ensure proper ventilation, no recent COVID-19 outbreaks, and children under 12 and guests are not present, among other safety measures.

It sounds like this is supposed to apply to organized scheduled fitness classes, not gyms in general. People dropping in and out of a gym unscheduled isn't a stable cohort. This doesn't seem too crazy to me. There's a host responsible for enforcing vaccination requirements to ensure that the gathering is as safe as possible, and if an outbreak does occur, contact tracing is already done because there's a list of attendees.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
We have a mask mandate at my office where you're supposed to always be wearing one unless you're eating, drinking, or alone in a fully enclosed space like an office with the door shut. However what that has actually ended up looking like is that people wear their masks when they get up and walk around, take them off when sitting in their cubes, and hastily put them back on if they hear footsteps. Also not exactly doing wonders for the already strained relationship between management and the front line here that only execs and senior managers get offices which means the mask mandate functionally doesn't apply to them if they hole up all day.

At this point the only way you're actually going to enforce people wearing masks constantly in the office is to knock down all the cubes and create an open workspace where everybody can see everybody, or have compliance officers regularly wandering the halls to yell at people (and even then, people will still keep them off until they hear footsteps).

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Glumslinger posted:

It won't go into effect until certain vaccination and case rates, so if the current trends continues, it'll be late November. If they dont continue, then mask mandate will continue.

Each county will have to hit 80% total vaccinated (including children under 12) and the chron didn't provide specifics for what the case and hospitalization thresholds are, just that none of the counties involved currently meet them yet

https://www.sfchronicle.com/health/article/Mask-mandates-may-soon-come-to-an-end-in-Bay-Area-16516428.php

Edit: I seem to have misread the article, looks like SF is gonna go earlier than everyone else but is also still following the same guidelines :confused:

so the bay is going to be masked for the next century. got it

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Larry Parrish posted:

Well if you Believed Science like I, an informed consumer in the marketplace of ideas, does you’d see that San Francisco is currently in tier
3-C (revision 2) of the 2020 Consolidated Bay Area COVID Response and Coordination Task Force (CBACRCT) omnibus guidelines, issued August 2021 as approved by the Mayor’s CBACRCT liaison office in collaboration with the Department of Public Works “yellow” mandate recovery plan and the Stanford Health Council’s phase 4 risk and assessment criteria for the Zone 2 transmission and control analysis. If you look at the linked PDF on page 1,523 under section 11 of the clearinghouse committee guidance and findings, you’ll see that San Francisco is currently meeting or exceeding all of the diagnostic criteria recommended by the CBACRCT, the state department of health, the CDC, the IMF, and the DOD. So please, try to educate yourself in the future, ok?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Sydin posted:

We have a mask mandate at my office where you're supposed to always be wearing one unless you're eating, drinking, or alone in a fully enclosed space like an office with the door shut. However what that has actually ended up looking like is that people wear their masks when they get up and walk around, take them off when sitting in their cubes, and hastily put them back on if they hear footsteps. Also not exactly doing wonders for the already strained relationship between management and the front line here that only execs and senior managers get offices which means the mask mandate functionally doesn't apply to them if they hole up all day.

This is what my office does, except we have an open floor plan so everyone just silently agrees to put their mask on when they get up to move around or when someone ventures with 10-20 feet of their desk. There are only a handful of people opting to go to the office and none of them are the people who might theoretically be in charge of enforcing the "masks all of the time, even at your desk" rule.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

withak posted:

This is what my office does, except we have an open floor plan so everyone just silently agrees to put their mask on when they get up to move around or when someone ventures with 10-20 feet of their desk. There are only a handful of people opting to go to the office and none of them are the people who might theoretically be in charge of enforcing the "masks all of the time, even at your desk" rule.

Unfortunately our management decided COVID was over around April and summarily brought most everybody back, then dug their heels in when the summer spike hit and a new mask mandate came out. Office is more or less completely full, there are a handful of people who've negotiated limited WFH days but it's not many.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Larry Parrish posted:

SF county's at 80% first dose, 75% second now (all population). It'll go to 80%+ pretty fast when some vaccines authorizes for 5-11 year olds

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Foxfire_ posted:

SF county's at 80% first dose, 75% second now (all population). It'll go to 80%+ pretty fast when some vaccines authorizes for 5-11 year olds

i was mostly joking about every other person I know in this state being weirdly anti vax in general but now that you mention it a strange number of those people have the covid shots.

what the gently caress is the difference in people's heads between an MMR shot and the covid shot?!

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Larry Parrish posted:

i was mostly joking about every other person I know in this state being weirdly anti vax in general but now that you mention it a strange number of those people have the covid shots.

what the gently caress is the difference in people's heads between an MMR shot and the covid shot?!

Andrew Wakefield and his lovely propaganda campaign to try and sell his own MMR shot.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Oh noooooooo

https://twitter.com/sfchronicle/status/1446242957888299010

Noooooooo

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Larry Parrish posted:

People mostly personally know someone that got covid and got it bad, people mostly don't know anyone that got measles, mumps, or rubella.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

fermun posted:

People mostly personally know someone that got covid and got it bad, people mostly don't know anyone that got measles, mumps, or rubella.

I'm old enough to have had both measles, mumps, and chicken pox. All three sucked really hard, get your kids their drat shots. Or they might loving die.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
fondly remembering this rich kid acquaintance of mine who self described as a maoist telling me in complete earnestness that the entire concept of a vaccine is suspect because corporations manufacture them ftw. wonder if that dude has his COVID shots lol.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Larry Parrish posted:

fondly remembering this rich kid acquaintance of mine who self described as a maoist telling me in complete earnestness that the entire concept of a vaccine is suspect because corporations manufacture them ftw. wonder if that dude has his COVID shots lol.

UC Santa Cruz grad, by any chance?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

UC Santa Cruz grad, by any chance?

Berkeley student at the time. it's been a few years so he probably graduated. if you mean me, no, I'm a peasant

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Larry Parrish posted:

Berkeley student at the time. it's been a few years so he probably graduated. if you mean me, no, I'm a peasant

I meant him. And on reflection I really should've guessed Berkeley grad because the rich kids don't go to Santa Cruz. At least they didn't when I was there two decades ago. Plenty of weird dudes who were bad at being leftists, of course, they just weren't the rich ones.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I meant him. And on reflection I really should've guessed Berkeley grad because the rich kids don't go to Santa Cruz. At least they didn't when I was there two decades ago. Plenty of weird dudes who were bad at being leftists, of course, they just weren't the rich ones.

This state is full of rich weirdos who identify as being leftist but in reality are basically just Mormons without church meetings politically speaking. It's pretty funny and I have no idea where it comes from, other than a belief in the state being some kind of historical leftist stronghold

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Foxfire_ posted:

lol there are more dogs than people under 18 in sf

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

mllaneza posted:

I'm old enough to have had both measles, mumps, and chicken pox. All three sucked really hard, get your kids their drat shots. Or they might loving die.

Kids these days not getting chicken pox is so weird to me, it was just a rite of passage for us. Guess they won't have to deal with shingles, which is a nice benefit

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
as a zoomer i never had to deal with any of the significant childhood diseases my parents etc did but it's kind of like arguing you should be allowed to not wear a seatbelt lol. i don't understand why you'd choose not to, so the anti vax seem like crazy people. i guess maybe being an insane communist just makes me aware that laws don't restrict choices unless you believe in following them mindlessly. then again i can't remember if I have an HPV vaccine or not so maybe im part of the problem. it was brand new when I was a teenager and policy wasn't settled on who needs to get it. but maybe the air force gave me that one? i never bothered to look at what they stick you with besides the penicillin.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
My mom weirdly denies that she sent my brother and I to be babysat by neighbours we never had babysit us before or after, but just happened to have 2 kids of their own with chicken pox the one time. I guess she feels ashamed? It was before the vaccine though. Its the one "why are you being weird about this, mom?" thing we have going on right now.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

My dad was born in the early 50s and he still remembers the brief period when he was in elementary school that not everyone was vaccinated against polio. You'd come back from summer vacation and a kid you'd been friends with the year before was dead or crippled.

The lesson: vaccines are good. Get all the vaccines.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Wicked Them Beats posted:

My dad was born in the early 50s and he still remembers the brief period when he was in elementary school that not everyone was vaccinated against polio. You'd come back from summer vacation and a kid you'd been friends with the year before was dead or crippled.

The lesson: vaccines are good. Get all the vaccines.

Same with my parents. My dad's very conservative, but had absolutely no hesitancy about the vaccine.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Yeah my aunt had to live in an iron lung for a few weeks because of polio. There's a reason "the iron lung" is no longer a TV prop/plot point.

Vaccines rule.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

El Mero Mero posted:

Yeah my aunt had to live in an iron lung for a few weeks because of polio. There's a reason "the iron lung" is no longer a TV prop/plot point.

Vaccines rule.

For real. They are literally the closest thing to magic we've got and tons of people are like, "Nah, I'm not gonna do that".

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

The Glumslinger posted:

Kids these days not getting chicken pox is so weird to me, it was just a rite of passage for us. Guess they won't have to deal with shingles, which is a nice benefit

i am old enough to have gotten chicken pox naturally istead of the vaccine, and (un)lucky enough o get shingles unusually young at age 20 for no loving reason

poo poo sucks, since even the outbreak was probably a lot more minor than typical outbreaks in your mid 60s, im pretty sure it gave me permanent nerve damage at the breakout site. there's just inconsistent weird feeling there like a bunch of bees is swarming around under my skin, that can progress into significant pain if im doing anything strenuous (hiking with a pack is almost guaranteed to make it flare up. no way to deal with it that i can determine, just gotta wait it out until that nerve cluster decides to stop broadcasting random pain sensations

falls into the pain band of being noticeably annoying but not so annoying that it'd make sense to try and figure out exactly what's broken and if there's some obscure neurpoathic pain med to reduce flare-ups

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

i am old enough to have gotten chicken pox naturally istead of the vaccine, and (un)lucky enough o get shingles unusually young at age 20 for no loving reason

poo poo sucks, since even the outbreak was probably a lot more minor than typical outbreaks in your mid 60s, im pretty sure it gave me permanent nerve damage at the breakout site. there's just inconsistent weird feeling there like a bunch of bees is swarming around under my skin, that can progress into significant pain if im doing anything strenuous (hiking with a pack is almost guaranteed to make it flare up. no way to deal with it that i can determine, just gotta wait it out until that nerve cluster decides to stop broadcasting random pain sensations

falls into the pain band of being noticeably annoying but not so annoying that it'd make sense to try and figure out exactly what's broken and if there's some obscure neurpoathic pain med to reduce flare-ups

Cannabis rub. Cbd high ratio.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
I would be surprised if compliance with mask mandates in gyms was that high anyway honestly. My gym has one and working out with a mask sucks (yeah it's still good policy in place where people are breathing heavily, etc), saw plenty of people just disregarding totally. Pretty much resigned to staying at home with my kettlebell until things get much better.

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

Fill Baptismal posted:

working out with a mask sucks

People who refuse to lift with a mask on are weak. People who do cardio at the gym with a mask on need to go outside.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lol there are more dogs than people under 18 in sf

it's same in Denver and Seattle and probably some other cities

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
This is relevant to this thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5A3sGdsYI8

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Larry Parrish posted:

then again i can't remember if I have an HPV vaccine or not so maybe im part of the problem. it was brand new when I was a teenager and policy wasn't settled on who needs to get it. but maybe the air force gave me that one? i never bothered to look at what they stick you with besides the penicillin.
The HPV vaccine has been updated since then and now covers more strains. Even if you got it when it was brand new, you should get it again.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

So with these new trash rules, are they going to cut open my trash bags to make sure I didn't put an apple core in the wrong bin? My collection bill went up 60% this year and I'm the one who's responsible for all of the labor.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

FogHelmut posted:

My collection bill went up 60% this year and I'm the one who's responsible for all of the labor.

Surely you're not doing even 10% of the labor? Are you saying that all the workers in the chain of processing your waste are already paid great, there's no worker shortage anywhere in the waste processing pipeline, and there was plenty of budget to process it in the safest and cleanest way possible, and so the bill going up is 100% a monopolistic cash grab?

droll fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Oct 13, 2021

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

droll posted:

Surely you're not doing even 10% of the labor? Are you saying that all the workers in the chain of processing your waste are already paid great, there's no worker shortage anywhere in the waste processing pipeline, and there was plenty of budget to process it in the safest and cleanest way possible, and so the bill going up is 100% a monopolistic cash grab?

Can we just bring back incinerators in grocery stores so I don't have to deal with the recylestapo

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I'm just hoping the organic waste cart we get is tiny. Really tiny, like smaller than 32 gallons tiny. We have no yard (and thus, no yard trimmings), gently caress all space to store another bin in the garage, and a whiny as gently caress HOA that will tape your bins closed with a nasty note if you leave them outside any other time besides the night before and morning of collection day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
I was under the impression that after China stopped taking recyclables, essentially all of it just gets thrown in the landfill now.

I guess it depends:

quote:

Some materials are recycled at relatively high levels: more than two-thirds of paper and about a third of aluminum. But for plastic, the rate is just eight percent. Another 16 percent is incinerated. The vast majority of plastic — that remaining 76 percent — ends up in landfills.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/article/what-plastic-types-to-recycle/

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Oct 13, 2021