Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Eyes Have It posted:

I backed them in part because I am a huge HMD nerd, but I am see-sawing on whether to drop the extra 99 on the Finch Shift controllers.

Every time I think I should, I look at the things and reflect on how I already don't like them :colbert: I mean, unimpressive tracking accuracy numbers, dongles you need to strap on your arms, a big gross touchpad (does anyone seriously want a loving touchpad on their controller at the close of 2021?) and I just know they're going to be used once and dropped into a drawer if I have literally any other option.

What's weird is I did a Google search for the FinchShift to see what it was and came across this article with what seems to be an early prototype kit with thumbsticks and buttons. So they looked at the Oculus Rift, then at the Vive Wands, and somehow decided in the last couple of years that doubling down on the controller literally nobody copied was the smart move.

(To be fair, it looks to be built mainly for the Vive Focus, which is why it probably uses trackpads)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005
Don't take me for an ordinary man

Warbird posted:

PM’d. Got 2 more if anyone wants them.

Also me if the last one's still available. I would like to see the whites of my enemy's eyes before committing to battle.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I got your code for Horizon’s World but I cannot find a place to put the code. When I go into the store, it does not give me an option to use it. When I go to the website, it just sends me to a page about being added to the waitlist.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Tip posted:

I never finished the first game because I didn't find floating around to press buttons very exciting, but drat, the human character in that trailer is really impressive. I think it's the most realistic looking human I've seen in a VR game.

I mean, while the first half hour is "floating around pressing buttons", the entire rest of the game is very much not that. It'd be worth your while to play it through to the end. I won't spoil anything but I was literally holding my breath during the final scene.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I’ll take one if they aren’t gone

PM’d. One left. If folks want more I can likely get a few more from my oculus contact.

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

Warbird posted:

PM’d. One left. If folks want more I can likely get a few more from my oculus contact.
I'd also be keen, if possible!

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Metos posted:

I'd also be keen, if possible!

Annnd PM’d.

Brooks Cracktackle
Oct 17, 2008

The Eyes Have It posted:

(does anyone seriously want a loving touchpad on their controller at the close of 2021?

I actually really quite like the touchpad on the knuckles the way it's used in H3VR, which is basically as a button cluster but with the ability to add some gestures on it. It's a low-impact way of putting a lot of extra controls on the surface of the controller, and when used intelligently it can really bring a lot to the table.

That being said, you need to have it in conjunction with a thumbstick, because they are definitely not a substitute for that.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Brooks Cracktackle posted:

I actually really quite like the touchpad on the knuckles the way it's used in H3VR, which is basically as a button cluster but with the ability to add some gestures on it. It's a low-impact way of putting a lot of extra controls on the surface of the controller, and when used intelligently it can really bring a lot to the table.

That being said, you need to have it in conjunction with a thumbstick, because they are definitely not a substitute for that.

That was pretty much the intent of the Vive Wands writ-large; A cluster of context-sensitive inputs for the broad range of gameplay VR can have that, on paper, brings a lot to the table (and tbh I think it legit actually works in VRChat for movement AND hand gestures). The problem is, as you say, you really need a thumbstick for decently-accurate or general twitch movement and buttons REALLY help for inputs you need to fire accurately 100% of the time.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Brooks Cracktackle posted:

That's my own bias talking then I guess. I have never meaningfully used the touchpads for anything, and they lack the tactile feedback of e.g. buttons which means interaction-wise I can't help but think of them as a bit of a dead end. But I can see how they'd be useful the way you describe.

Maybe I should play with them in H3VR, and maybe see how it works in VRchat. For all my interest in VR, I haven't played either yet.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

This clearly shows the majestic superiority of the MS VR controllers, despite the OP hating on them.

I mean you do get buttons, sticks AND a touchpad, what's not to like (aside from the bulkiness and poor tracking and all that).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Eyes Have It posted:

That's my own bias talking then I guess. I have never meaningfully used the touchpads for anything, and they lack the tactile feedback of e.g. buttons which means interaction-wise I can't help but think of them as a bit of a dead end. But I can see how they'd be useful the way you describe.

Maybe I should play with them in H3VR, and maybe see how it works in VRchat. For all my interest in VR, I haven't played either yet.

How it works in VRChat is just touching the trackpads will set your avatar's hand gestures (and general expressions or animations set to said gesture triggers depending on your avatar). Clicking in on the left trackpad in a direction moves you in that direction. Clicking left/right on the right controller trackpad turns you 90 degrees in that direction. So when you're standing still you can use them to gesticulate, do dumb animations, etc, and then when use them for conventional thumbstick movement inputs to roam around.

For H3VR you're honestly better off using Index controllers if you have the choice between the two, because handling firearms is a lot more natural without that sticky automatic grip on your guns if you're using something that bolt-loads. And of course anything thrown.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

GunRaiders has moved from AppLab to official store, and it has maintained the 'free' price, making it the first F2P FPS game on Quest.
It seems it has now a pair of team modes, I should try how they are.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

I got subnautica as it's 50% and it's goooood. Had to install a unofficial patch though otherwise the HUD sizing is all weird.

But swimming down in the ocean gave me the same (unpleasant) feelings I had when I had to dive into the pacific to cut lines free 100nm offshore.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
here's a steam key for Groundhog Day, reply if you take it, thx

WY78W-8FHQH-NFCZM

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Cabbages and Kings posted:

WY78W-8FHQH-NFCZM

Tried to activate it and it's already been taken!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Cabbages and Kings posted:

WY78W-8FHQH-NFCZM

That was me, I did it and got carried away with work. Thanks!

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I got a key for Contractors in a Spanish site, cool. This is actually the third key for VR I got, I got one for Mare past year through Youtube, and from Reddit I got past month a key for a small puzzle game, Color Connect (giving them advice on how to improve their current logo).

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOF7y7v6gQ4
heh

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
In case anyone was curious about the state of flatscreen mods for Alyx:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ji9nuBNwTz4

It, uh, looks really good. Almost as if Alyx were basically a VR port of a flatscreen game in the first place *cough*

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I don't know why anyone would want to play Alyx in non-VR, but cool I guess

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

raditts posted:

I don't know why anyone would want to play Alyx in non-VR, but cool I guess

*points to the steam thread when Alyx came out*

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Lemming posted:

In case anyone was curious about the state of flatscreen mods for Alyx:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ji9nuBNwTz4

It, uh, looks really good. Almost as if Alyx were basically a VR port of a flatscreen game in the first place *cough*

I feel the game would be really easy in flatscreen, there are normally only a few enemies at one time and mouse aiming is a lot easier than trying to squint through iron sights after dropping your mag while trying to reload in a panic.

One thing VR has driven home to me is how bad I'd be in an actual zombie apocalypse

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It’s cool that they’re making the effort I guess but alyx will suck in 2d

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Lemming posted:

I'm not sure how you can get that from watching someone awkwardly pull things around with a mouse pointer and deliberately not show off anything that heavily relies on 3D movement, like how they very pointedly didn't do the puzzle to access the fabricator. Quite a few parts of the game are going to absolutely suck rear end to deal with using a mouse.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

quote:

Contains Nudity, Extreme Sexual Content, Sexual Violence, Frequent Violence or Gore, Body Horror, General Mature Content, Sex Between People, Masturbation, Sexual Orgies, Exhibitionism, Sexual Toys and Machines, Dubious Consent, Bloodied Human Bodies, Sexual Penetration of Bodily Wounds, Castration, Sex with Hacked Pieces of Human Body, Sex with Animals and Eldritch Monsters, Implied Sex Slavery, Threatening with Rape, Dismemberment and Devourment of a Human Body

You had me at "Dubious Content"...

e: Oh wait, "Dubious Consent"... I, er, well...

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Lemming posted:

It 100% is not. I don't know how anyone who played through the game in VR could think that it would work as a traditional first-person shooter. People are going to try to play this on a flat screen and say "wow this really loving sucks, that was so boring" because they missed 90% of what makes it a great game.

The final scene alone does so much with VR that just cannot be replicated in 2D.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

As far as 2d FPS games are concerned, alyx would be boring as hell. You’d need to like quadruple the enemy count and walk speed for starters, and basically every set piece just……wouldn’t work

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

As far as 2d FPS games are concerned, alyx would be boring as hell. You’d need to like quadruple the enemy count and walk speed for starters, and basically every set piece just……wouldn’t work

These are also the reasons why I think it's a pretty medium VR game; VR enhances the game, for sure, but at its core it's not that interesting (beyond being beautiful) and I don't think without the Valve branding it would've stood out so much

The Jeff section was great but that's because they leaned into the VR-ness more than in any other part of the game, which made that kind of design being absent from the rest of the game a lot more obvious

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
Lemming, we get it, if there is a beloved title that wasn't made by oculus you don't like it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

More broadly; If anything the Half-Life gameplay style of physics puzzles mixed with gunplay is an idea whose time has actually come in earnest with VR rather than the other way around.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Exactly. Hell, I'd almost say that Half-Life 2 was a VR game that came out too soon to take advantage of its proper medium.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

Turin Turambar posted:

Song in the Smoke is receiving good reviews. ~8/10 in uploadVr, VRFocus and Realovirtual. It's crossbuy on Oculus.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcmL7QjIlrA

I’ve only had time to put about half an hour or so into this but goddamn if the crafting system and even UI elements don’t scream “the dev team really really liked Walking Dead”.

And as far as I’m concerned that’s a very good thing. Unless the game is like six hours long or the quality takes a nose dive I could definitely see this being in my top 5 list for the year even assuming two slots are reserved for Lone Echo and RE4.

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005
Don't take me for an ordinary man

Skyarb posted:

Lemming, we get it, if there is a beloved title that wasn't made by oculus you don't like it.

His thing is being militantly avant-garde about VR's potential not brand loyalty. You got that he has a thing, but you don't get the thing.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
The last level in Alyx was the coolest thing I've ever experienced in VR, medium my rear end.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Leal posted:

*points to the steam thread when Alyx came out*

No thank you.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

While Alyx's shooting sections would be trivially easy using a mouse and keyboard, I can see some of the puzzles that require precise movement (especially the operation ones to disarm mines) being an exercise in frustration.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Lemming posted:

These are also the reasons why I think it's a pretty medium VR game; VR enhances the game, for sure, but at its core it's not that interesting (beyond being beautiful) and I don't think without the Valve branding it would've stood out so much

The Jeff section was great but that's because they leaned into the VR-ness more than in any other part of the game, which made that kind of design being absent from the rest of the game a lot more obvious

Skyarb posted:

He's not wrong.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I will say that the parts that I find lacking in HL Alyx (basically the reduced scoped, like less variety of enemies, no melee weapons, in fact few weapons at all, no vehicles) would be an even bigger issue as a 2d game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Yeah, the lack of a level like the speedboat shooting one in HL2 was a big miss. I hope someone makes a good port of HL2 for VR. Emphasis on the "good" part.