Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

How are u posted:

In the clip they just played Lan and Moirane introduce themselves with their actual names, to the Emond's Fielders.

Immersion: ruined.

In the books they didn't have any problems with using Moiraine/Lan in Emond's Field, and only adopt Alys/Andra in the bigger towns. They didn't advertise being Aes Sedai and Warder but also never really hid it. (until the jig was up during Winternight)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

In the books they didn't have any problems with using Moiraine/Lan in Emond's Field, and only adopt Alys/Andra in the bigger towns. They didn't advertise being Aes Sedai and Warder but also never really hid it.

ah poo poo, my b

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

bella being played by a male horse, immersion ruined

they're talking about how he was the fartiest horse lol

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

from looks and the description of "very important person" alone, i'm guessing natasha o'keefe is lanfear or another female forsaken

also elayne confirmed to be that redhead on set that looked suspiciously like elayne

https://twitter.com/TheWheelOfTime/status/1446553484434698241

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
e: you switched your tweet ^^^ :argh:

Gotta be Verin and, uh, Lanfear? Yeah that seems possibly right.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Oh poo poo Meera Syal rules! She'd be such a great Verin

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Rarity posted:

Oh poo poo Meera Syal rules! She'd be such a great Verin

yeah she absolutely has the right energy for verin

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I'm not familiar with any of those actresses, but Natasha seems to have a really cool gaze that would be an excellent Lanfear

Crini
Sep 2, 2011
Is it me or does that clip they posted show way too many people in the inn? I’m doing a re-read and the amount of people they show in Emond’s Field is how I was picturing Baerlon.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Crini posted:

Is it me or does that clip they posted show way too many people in the inn? I’m doing a re-read and the amount of people they show in Emond’s Field is how I was picturing Baerlon.

Eh, naw. That's like, a significant percentage of the town, but it's one of the three major holidays, everyone's in town and such.

Crini
Sep 2, 2011

silvergoose posted:

Eh, naw. That's like, a significant percentage of the town, but it's one of the three major holidays, everyone's in town and such.

I don’t know. It’s not exactly as I’ve pictured it in my head. And they are simply entertainment professionals with a history of making creative entertainment whereas I am an internet weirdo posting on a forum.

I think we both know who’s more qualified to adapt these books to television….

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Has Min been announced? Meera for Verin was my first thought too.

Edit: nvm, I thought Ceara was the big pic, but that’s Natasha. Lanfear fits well.

latinotwink1997 fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Oct 8, 2021

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Crini posted:

I don’t know. It’s not exactly as I’ve pictured it in my head. And they are simply entertainment professionals with a history of making creative entertainment whereas I am an internet weirdo posting on a forum.

I think we both know who’s more qualified to adapt these books to television….

The Two Rivers is isolated but people aren't marrying cousins due to the small population, plus they fight off the Trollocs in book 4 so there needs to be at least 6-700 people in the wider area.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
sorry if this was posted and i am somehow missing it

https://twitter.com/TheWheelOfTime/status/1446545085689057285?s=20

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Youtube link because Twitter's video playback is atrocious
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIMkfP4JsxU

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
word, yeah tv thread says crossposted

anyway I got some pretty good tinglies from it, i wonder if nyn will be a beltknife grabber instead of a braid tugger

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I realise it won't be the same for all of them, but I'd be bloody hard-pressed to put an age to Rosamund.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

The tone for that clip is a little over-dramatic, something just feels off about introducing Moiraine with a big dramatic entrance.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
I did enjoy Rand and Perrin as wallflowers while Mat was chatting up a lady.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Definitely not how I pronounce Mandragoran

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Man dra GOR an? That's how I've always heard it, but what's said there seems in line with how it's pronounced in the audiobooks.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i feel pretty confident that they're probably pronouncing them the way that the people in the know want them to be doing it

Crini
Sep 2, 2011

Not So Fast posted:

The tone for that clip is a little over-dramatic, something just feels off about introducing Moiraine with a big dramatic entrance.

Is that Egwene grasping the hilt of a dagger when Lan comes in? If so, why? In the first book no one carries a weapon, other than quarter staff or bow, until the ‘town watch’ is set up. The existence of Tam’s sword or that axe that Perrin ends up with makes it sound like weapons are rare and never displayed openly by locals.

I do like the touch that Moiraine’s ring has a blue stone.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Johnny Joestar posted:

i feel pretty confident that they're probably pronouncing them the way that the people in the know want them to be doing it

Although it's interesting that it's pronounced like Moira, wherein the glossaries it's said to be Mwah-raine

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Crini posted:

Is that Egwene grasping the hilt of a dagger when Lan comes in? If so, why? In the first book no one carries a weapon, other than quarter staff or bow, until the ‘town watch’ is set up. The existence of Tam’s sword or that axe that Perrin ends up with makes it sound like weapons are rare and never displayed openly by locals.

I do like the touch that Moiraine’s ring has a blue stone.

It's Nynaeve, and it looks like the type of utility knife you'd keep on your belt that would be pretty useful in day to day life in the 18th century.

Crini
Sep 2, 2011

How are u posted:

It's Nynaeve, and it looks like the type of utility knife you'd keep on your belt that would be pretty useful in day to day life in the 18th century.

Why is Nynaeve working at the inn?

I think I’m being unnecessarily harsh on what I’ve seen of the show. I really need to try to watch it as if I’d never read the books.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Crini posted:

Why is Nynaeve working at the inn?

I think I’m being unnecessarily harsh on what I’ve seen of the show. I really need to try to watch it as if I’d never read the books.

Pretty much the whole town was at the inn because of the holiday.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Both Egwene and Nynaeve are in the scene. Egwene is tending tables. Nynaeve shows up defensively when the stranger walks in.

They are wearing two different colour dresses.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Egwene and Nynaeve brandishing their belt knives at bad guys was a pretty big part of most encounters early on in EotW as well. I love how a lot of the nitpicky complaints I've been seeing are coming from folks that clearly haven't read the books in a long time.

Crini
Sep 2, 2011

CainsDescendant posted:

Egwene and Nynaeve brandishing their belt knives at bad guys was a pretty big part of most encounters early on in EotW as well. I love how a lot of the nitpicky complaints I've been seeing are coming from folks that clearly haven't read the books in a long time.

I know I’m not being fair to the show.

If WOT on Amazon was a to-the-last-detail faithful retelling of the books it would suck a la the first two Harry Potter movies, not to mention be ridiculously long.

If they manage to cut it down and make an enjoyable fantasy series like the first few seasons of GOT then only people (like me) who can’t let go of the fact that everything on the page isn’t on screen will complain.

I’ve just got to let the differences go.

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

The Two Rivers is isolated but people aren't marrying cousins due to the small population, plus they fight off the Trollocs in book 4 so there needs to be at least 6-700 people in the wider area.

I love Rand's brief moment of panic later in the series when somebody refers to Morgase and Tigraine as "cousins." Explicit textual proof that the Two Rivers has a taboo against that sort of thing!

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Crini posted:

If WOT on Amazon was a to-the-last-detail faithful retelling of the books it would suck a la the first two Harry Potter movies, not to mention be ridiculously long.

If they manage to cut it down and make an enjoyable fantasy series like the first few seasons of GOT then only people (like me) who can’t let go of the fact that everything on the page isn’t on screen will complain.

I wasn't really calling you out specifically, I've been seeing a lot of similar complaints all over the place since the video dropped and it's been bugging me a little. I definitely sympathize with your viewpoint here, every little change I'm seeing makes me tense up but I'm doing my best to stay limp and let whatever happens happen. I don't think it's going to straight up suck, but based on everything I've seen it's certainly going to be very different and that's going to take effort to make peace with.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I'd always imagined it to be a few thousand

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

Crini posted:

baerlon has five or six establishments like this one or bigger and emonds field has one.

that's the first long clip of the show I think I've seen. i read this book when I was eight or nine years old. if it's melodramatic and bad, well, that's the series, but I never seriously thought I'd get the opportunity to ever see it like this!!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

latinotwink1997 posted:

Definitely not how I pronounce Mandragoran

The glossary in the books has it as man-DRAG-or-an, which is exactly how he pronounces it.

It's bugging me that Perrin is taller than Rand.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Crini posted:

then only people (like me) who can’t let go of the fact that everything on the page isn’t on screen will complain.

Never, ever forgive them for clearly showing mortared stonework at the white towers

Shining walls my foot, that's an insult to the Ogier to show that poo poo

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Crini posted:

It feels more like a Baerlon Inn to me yeah but they cut Baerlon for the show I believe and making the two rivers more baerlon sized helps a bit with the latter parts.

Also the winespring is supposed to be unusually large; it's an ancient survival.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

interesting that the winespring inn serves brandy

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

What encourages me is that they did a full song in the Old Tongue, which in turn suggests that they may have enough of the language devised to have Mat spouting off in it once in awhile!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

There's enough people that with just Watch Hill + Emonds Field that after like a weeklong(?) siege by thousands of trollocs they still had enough manpower left that 400 mounted, armored whitecloaks were chased out of town without a fight. There's got to be thousands of people living in the Two Rivers, tens of thousands when the refugees start flowing in.