Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

kri kri posted:

The new plex downloads feature is pretty slick and works far better than the old sync feature.

What are people using to add loyalty cards to wallet?

I use Stocard. Seems fine and some supported cards can be exported to Apple Wallet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
A couple years ago, there were always apps considered to be essential… now, the landscape is so messy… what do you consider essential for an iPhone / iPad?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

do they still have that app where you tilt your phone and it uses the accelerometer to make it look like you're drinking a glass of beer

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Burp and Fart Piano is the most essential IMO

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
The one where it makes lightsaber clashing noises when you swing your phone around.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
Thanks guys

Not all heroes wear capes

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

virinvictus posted:

A couple years ago, there were always apps considered to be essential… now, the landscape is so messy… what do you consider essential for an iPhone / iPad?

Awful for forums

1Password for passwords

PocketCasts/Overcast for podcasts

Apollo for Reddit

Spark for email

Reeder for RSS (or Unread/Lire)

Strong for strength workouts

Parcel for parcel tracking

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

101 posted:

Awful for forums

1Password for passwords

PocketCasts/Overcast for podcasts

Apollo for Reddit

Spark for email

Reeder for RSS (or Unread/Lire)

Strong for strength workouts

Parcel for parcel tracking
This is p.good. Bitwarden is also pretty good for passwords.

But really what is or isn’t essential really depends on what apps/workflow you need.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
I use deliveries for tracking. They switched to subscription but it's like $5/year so not bad.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
somehow i still use deliveries without paying them?? using icloud syncing and it works fine

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Mad Wack posted:

somehow i still use deliveries without paying them?? using icloud syncing and it works fine

When they switched to subscription they gave people who purchased the app previously like 2 years free sub which was pretty nice

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Is there an app that works well with transferring pdf/cbr files to the ipad from windows? I've tried several apps, and they seem to transfer data to the specific app's "documents and data" but when I go to load up that program, the program, doesn't matter what, never seems to "see" the data properly, and there's no file manager I can find that actually views the filesystem so I can move/copy them out of whereever the gently caress they went to, so instead I have to delete the whole app in order to clear out that used storage space.

I don't understand why something so basic is so difficult to figure out :sludgepal:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Is there an app that works well with transferring pdf/cbr files to the ipad from windows? I've tried several apps, and they seem to transfer data to the specific app's "documents and data" but when I go to load up that program, the program, doesn't matter what, never seems to "see" the data properly, and there's no file manager I can find that actually views the filesystem so I can move/copy them out of whereever the gently caress they went to, so instead I have to delete the whole app in order to clear out that used storage space.

I don't understand why something so basic is so difficult to figure out :sludgepal:

I use Chunky Comic Reader on my iPad and it accepts all sorts of sources and you can even activate a web server on the app to upload from your computer directly. Handles PDF and CBRs easily. Only caveat is that feature is a Pro feature that costs money and it has been over a year since the last update and that's starting to be concerning and I maybe in the same boat as you shortly if the app ends up breaking on me. :ohdear:

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Sep 29, 2021

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

GreenBuckanneer posted:

you can mount an SMB share in the Files app and copy your documents over that way, then open them with the app of your choice

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

GreenBuckanneer posted:

You could also turn on iCloud Drive in windows and copy/paste that way. Then just share the file from Files.app to the relevant app.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I guess an FTP server through FileZilla would probably work somehow, but it irritates me I can just drag and drop this into the iPad without jailbreaking it.

I don't have a fast upload and I am not using a cloud service to transfer the files to Google drive and back down again, that's a waste of space and not quick either.

I see there are some "connect to your server" options but my iPad doesn't have mobile data, so I'd want offline storage options. I probably should have splurged for the high storage iPad air instead of the 64gb version....

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

FCKGW posted:

When they switched to subscription they gave people who purchased the app previously like 2 years free sub which was pretty nice

ah yeah you are right i just looked and they say on the sub page that i just get all of the features i had before they went sub only forever

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I use Stocard. Seems fine and some supported cards can be exported to Apple Wallet.

I prefer Pass4Wallet. It allows you to customize a lot and is really made for putting all your cards in Apple Wallet. Stocard only allows some cards which means you still have to open the app sometimes, which is slow and full of ads.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

LPG Giant posted:

I prefer Pass4Wallet. It allows you to customize a lot and is really made for putting all your cards in Apple Wallet. Stocard only allows some cards which means you still have to open the app sometimes, which is slow and full of ads.

Personally hasn’t felt slow to me and I haven’t seen any ads outside of the offers tab that I rarely tap on. Pass4Wallet does seem neat however but I don’t need that much customization but it does handle one of my library cards better than Stocard does at least.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

LPG Giant posted:

Thanks

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

fourwood posted:

The one where it makes lightsaber clashing noises when you swing your phone around.

Zippo lighter where you can flick the lid open using motion.

Flight Control

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I guess an FTP server through FileZilla would probably work somehow, but it irritates me I can just drag and drop this into the iPad without jailbreaking it.

I don't have a fast upload and I am not using a cloud service to transfer the files to Google drive and back down again, that's a waste of space and not quick either.

I see there are some "connect to your server" options but my iPad doesn't have mobile data, so I'd want offline storage options. I probably should have splurged for the high storage iPad air instead of the 64gb version....

The web server options are drag and drop, you just do it in a browser instead of file explorer

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Is there another app similar/better than Overcast? The auto speed function is neat but I’ve had this glitch for like 6+ months now where my episodes will stop playing shortly after starting them or when my phone screen turns off. I’ve given up trying to fix it.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Mr. Pardiggle posted:

Is there another app similar/better than Overcast? The auto speed function is neat but I’ve had this glitch for like 6+ months now where my episodes will stop playing shortly after starting them or when my phone screen turns off. I’ve given up trying to fix it.

Pocketcasts or Castro I think

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

Downcast is still good too

Weedle
May 31, 2006

pocket casts is my favorite but i respect downcast's commitment to the ios 7 aesthetic

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Can’t speak for Castro but I’m glad Pocket Casts playback speed doesn’t produce robot voices as good as Overcast does.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I'm looking for iPad apps that are good for visualizing middle school and high school math problems. Desmos is quite good for this and GeoGebra is ok but any other suggestions are appreciated.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
Can anyone recommend a widget app that will display a different label or block of text depending on the day or time period?

I’m trying to set up a “daily goal” type of thing and having a reminder on the home screen that automatically shows that day’s goal would be aces.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

CaptainCrunch posted:

Can anyone recommend a widget app that will display a different label or block of text depending on the day or time period?

I’m trying to set up a “daily goal” type of thing and having a reminder on the home screen that automatically shows that day’s goal would be aces.

I’ve never tried/had a need for it, but Widgetsmith has plain text widgets and options for overriding widget configs for different hours of the day. You probably have to set up all the goals/prompts within the app rather than pulling data from elsewhere but it might do the trick.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Froist posted:

I’ve never tried/had a need for it, but Widgetsmith has plain text widgets and options for overriding widget configs for different hours of the day. You probably have to set up all the goals/prompts within the app rather than pulling data from elsewhere but it might do the trick.

Ooh thank you! I’ll give it a whirl.

Edit: Widgetsmith doesn’t allow scheduling on a per day basis. Just by the hour during a day as far as I can tell.

Ended up creating a fresh calendar and filling it with repeating all day events. Then using a calendar widget set to display only that calendar. It’s not a giant large text bar like I wanted. The calendar widget’s text is so small but it’ll do for now.

CaptainCrunch fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Oct 9, 2021

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.
Anyone else having an issue where Notifications (text, app, system, whatever) come through on one device, are dismissed and then pop up on another device? I’m typically using my ipad…will clear a notification or read a message, then a minute later my phone buzzes with the same one as if it is new.

Both on wifi, same iOS versions.

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank
Particularly dumb thing that someone might be able to help with:

I've previously had the Zoom app on my iPhone 11. Not something I really want on, so having used it, I've deleted it.

Now, maybe 50% of the time I download a different app, I also start re-downloading the Zoom at the same time. Obviously I'm not telling the phone to do that, it's just starting up. I can cancel the download or let it finish and uninstall again, but what's going on here? I can't remember ever seeing this happen before.

I don't think there's been a major iOS update since this started happening and I've not flattened the phone yet, both of which I suspect might sort it. Mostly curious if anyone's ever had this sort of thing before (with Zoom or anything else?)

e: I'm up to date with iOS updates and aren't jailbroken. This is all installing through the App Store.

Major Ryan fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Oct 18, 2021

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Have you rebooted your phone since then?

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank
Yeah, couple of times now including one for whatever small iOS update got released a day or two back.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I used to rely on Soulver for iPhone & Mac which is a combination notepad calculator. I really liked it!
https://soulver.app

It is no longer available for the iPhone and apparently while transferring data I lost the ability to transfer the app. Are there any calculator apps kind of like Soulver? I kind of doubt it.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

doingitwrong posted:

I used to rely on Soulver for iPhone & Mac which is a combination notepad calculator. I really liked it!

It is no longer available for the iPhone and apparently while transferring data I lost the ability to transfer the app. Are there any calculator apps kind of like Soulver? I kind of doubt it.

Go to your purchase history and re-download it from there.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
It’s also available for free in Test Flight.

https://testflight.apple.com/join/rBWP4hPz

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Thanks both. The first thing didn’t work because I guess I bought it when I was using a different Apple ID when I lived in a different country. But TestFlight worked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

doingitwrong posted:

You might like Calca (https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/calca/id635757879) which is scripting-lite, or on a simpler vibe, Tydlig (https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/tydlig/id721606556)