Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

trucutru posted:

Well right now it weights 500 dollars so it is a steal, specially if you consider that the price will only keep on climbing as it slowly becomes the most powerful JPEG to ever not exist

Only 6 months insurance tho.

Bonus:

I did some calculations and 250 in 2013 is worth 293.58 in 2021. That's an inflation rate of 17.4% So can someone good at economy figure out how much more the price has raised above inflation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

LostRook posted:

The stealth gameplay consisted of zero actual interaction beyond what is in todays 3.15 update. Just a lot of stealth headshots on completely unaware NPCs from behind, some of which appeared to kill the intended target despite missing.

They mentioned using throwing objects to distract guards, but when they threw an object the guard did not react in any way whatsoever and the player looked away as quickly as possible.

They mentioned a disguise system, but again only headshot people from behind.

They mentioned having to navigate by memory through the ventilation under the floor(?) but had a bright blue wire that led directly to the target.

They mentioned having to break into safes but the example was so obviously a mock-up it was laughable.

It was dreams.vid

Is this a spaceship game or metal gear?

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

bandaid.friend posted:

The men on screen are going on about the "grand" entranceway of this spaceship. There's a large ventral fin placed at the rear end of the ship. The ventral fin had to be designed into something purposeful by Roberts directive, so it was imagined as both a fuel scoop and an entranceway for traders when the ship is on the ground. Now it's a stairway, but it's placed at the rear of the ship and the ramp faces the front. The ramp leads nowhere. So it's a big grand staircase, and they're going on about how impressive it will be to traders, but instead of leading to a more impressive room, such as in a palace, it's a ramp to a loving elevator

If it was real, of course, it'd also stink of whatever petrol the ship is apparently scooping up. Or there'd be radiation on it or something idk

This is what I was on about here, the blue shading is the public area of the spaceship. You can see the fin, redesigned into an access ramp, which leads nowhere

slagmatic
Apr 28, 2004

glowy melty swirling things!
https://clips.twitch.tv/HilariousBashfulFungusTTours-Di-H15giLqJeXoVz

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Lammasu posted:

I did some calculations and 250 in 2013 is worth 293.58 in 2021. That's an inflation rate of 17.4% So can someone good at economy figure out how much more the price has raised above inflation?

According to Wolframalpha, $250 (2013 US dollars) in 2021 = $284.79. $500 is 75.6% above that, which represents an increase of ~7.3% per year above inflation. As investments go, that's pretty darn weak.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/p4jSukg.gifv

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

..skip to 1:50

https://vimeo.com/142716235

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.
Did Sandi show up at any point in the Con this year?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Tippis posted:

According to Wolframalpha, $250 (2013 US dollars) in 2021 = $284.79. $500 is 75.6% above that, which represents an increase of ~7.3% per year above inflation. As investments go, that's pretty darn weak.

But can you enter your other investments thru their dick ramp?

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

In the past I've given CIG the benefit of the doubt that they are actually competent at scamming money for as long as possible, and the lack of progress was intentional. And that they aren't even trying to make a game.

Now it seems the con didn't even have competent money siphoning going on. If you have nothing to show, you should at least dangle some JPGs that people can buy.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

lobsterminator posted:

In the past I've given CIG the benefit of the doubt that they are actually competent at scamming money for as long as possible, and the lack of progress was intentional. And that they aren't even trying to make a game.

Now it seems the con didn't even have competent money siphoning going on. If you have nothing to show, you should at least dangle some JPGs that people can buy.

I really think this is a sign outside investors are wresting control from Roberts. He had what, 10 minutes of total air time? In years past he was the main panel event speaker and would show off huge teasers to get the ship sales going. This year was very muted, I think whoever is really in charge wants to deliver something (SQ42) for an ROI soon and the project can't take anymore distractions and grandiose promises.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

I haven't followed development closely for a while now, so hearing CitizenCon happened was a nice way for me to catch up with an old friend. I opened up the longest running segment which I thought was going to be the classic Chris Roberts presentation, but it looked more like something you'd start with for the hardcore fans. I thought maybe they hadn't processed the youtube video yet, and googled the schedule and saw it listed. So I went on twitch and found the livestream and discovered the closing keynote was two minutes of Chris saying thanks for watching.

That citcon only took up five pages of posting really says it all. They aren't even pretending like something big will be happening soon. And I bet if I check out reddit, you'll find plenty of people happy with the progress and what they have invested in the game. I guess there is some comfort in knowing that this mess of a game will continue shambling on despite all logic and reason. Thank you Chris.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Popete posted:

I really think this is a sign outside investors are wresting control from Roberts. He had what, 10 minutes of total air time? In years past he was the main panel event speaker and would show off huge teasers to get the ship sales going. This year was very muted, I think whoever is really in charge wants to deliver something (SQ42) for an ROI soon and the project can't take anymore distractions and grandiose promises.

Why not? At this point its not like anyone thinks he is going to actually deliver what ever poo poo he spouts

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Maybe CR wants to show his "controlled" effort hammers sales and he is worth million to the operation and side lining him will have consequences

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/eurogamer/status/1447125617422503937

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

DigitalPenny posted:

Maybe CR wants to show his "controlled" effort hammers sales and he is worth million to the operation and side lining him will have consequences

Or Chris was told that they'd blocked out a full hour for his closing talk, but he spent all his time doing something more important to him (vitamins, probably) and blew off preparing anything to say for that, because gently caress it, who cares? CitizenCon is a sideshow now, it's already been established that the backers will talk themselves out of feeling disappointed before a month has passed and will rally back around the Dream with their wallets open no matter what.

The important con is happening at a higher level. Chris and his cronies have enough on their plates trying to maintain an illusion of productivity for their investors. Making CitCon less noticeable (and less expensive!) helps with that a little, I bet.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

1.4K viewers for SC on twitch. That's not good after the con. Also what happened to all the SC streamers? looks like most of the thread favourites have moved on.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Even the Twitter account is acting like it has completely given up. Just... post a screencap of a spaceship with zero context and just open it up to the floor. "... Thoughts?"

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
Hah, I was wondering whether some gaming news site will bother to cover this nothingburger of a biggest annual event.

SC is just dream.

Time_pants posted:

Even the Twitter account is acting like it has completely given up. Just... post a screencap of a spaceship with zero context and just open it up to the floor. "... Thoughts?"

https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/1446967850636300289

they really have nothing else to show but clouds and more clouds

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

LostRook posted:

They just spent 15 minutes explaining this.

Okay but this is just explaining the basic functioning of a GPU and how shaders work???
This is a slide from an entry-level college course on graphics programming, not something that should be shown at a game convention.

People talking about player numbers did remind me that you can go play BF2042 beta right now with 128-player matches which has a whole helluva lot more going on than a Star Citizen server while smoothly having more than double the player count.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

lmbo

https://twitter.com/discolando/status/1447006018328694788

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
This is what a decade long sad trombone noise sounds like

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
We used to have watch parties for this crap, the most exquisite ramp explosions, the wildest lies about development a giant thumb on vitamins could blabber about.

Such a shame.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

loving loser.

Also instead of thinking about Star citizen you should watch Nine perfect strangers with Nicole Kidman or Squid game,they’re both brilliant and weird.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

my brain jumbled that post and now im thinkin bout Nicole Squidman

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

punishedkissinger posted:

my brain jumbled that post and now im thinkin bout Nicole Squidman

Well she does a fair bit of swimming…

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

trucutru posted:

We used to have watch parties for this crap, the most exquisite ramp explosions, the wildest lies about development a giant thumb on vitamins could blabber about.

Such a shame.

instead of watching citizencon or even remembering it exists, I met an adorable baby tiger shark yesterday, thank you chris roberts

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
What the gently caress is it with defenders of this game popping up no matter what? I was on the Two Best Friends Subreddit and someone was talking about how it's projected game size of 100 gb has become somewhat normalized. Of course you get a few jokes about the actual game and someone pops up to defend it. And keeps defending it even though their comments get downvoted so you have to keep clicking on them to see it. God I hate reddit. But anyway, without fail, they ALWAYS show up.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Lammasu posted:

What the gently caress is it with defenders of this game popping up no matter what? I was on the Two Best Friends Subreddit and someone was talking about how it's projected game size of 100 gb has become somewhat normalized. Of course you get a few jokes about the actual game and someone pops up to defend it. And keeps defending it even though their comments get downvoted so you have to keep clicking on them to see it. God I hate reddit. But anyway, without fail, they ALWAYS show up.

In most other games where people drop thousands of dollars (mostly f2p gacha and p2w games) they are aware that they are pretty much burning their money but they do get what they paid for, either power over the poors (and thus respect) or the latest character. So it's easy to justify the expense.

This is not the case in SC. Big backers cannot truly justify the expense as they have not received (and may as well realize they are unlikely to ever receive) what they paid for. They don't truly get power and respect, and having the latest ship in a barely functional game is not as sweet as it could be. Thus you get a typical case of cognitive dissonance that is resolved by convincing yourself that the game is indeed great and you have (or will have) what you paid for. So you defend the game online as part of convincing yourself that everything is fine.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Lammasu posted:

It's like bitcoin, gotta keep pumping.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Again, the hand-held Tractor Beam needs to go posted:

This really invalidates so much about how the game world works. This is far too large and distant to be able to be so easily manipulated like this.

It should only be available in 0g.

https://i.redd.it/9x2z6xxelks71.gif

quote:

So you'd rather CIG remove a feature that makes moving cargo significantly easier in favor of making it beyond tedious to do? Looks like yet another person in favor of immersion over fun.

quote:

Yes. Why does everything always have to be "easier" for your type?

Plus, we have hands and carrying and they put a LOT of work into that, so now no one will use it?

It means dedicated cargo players will do it; lazy ones won't, and that's the way it should be.

This doesn't align with other design decisions they've made.

It must be removed except in zero g.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Frankly being able to turn on my PC with a button to play games is too easy. I should have to hand crank a small alternator to get it to start. That way I'm a Serious Gamer and not like those Filthy Casuals that just want everything handed to them so they can just "have fun".

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

trucutru posted:

In most other games where people drop thousands of dollars (mostly f2p gacha and p2w games) they are aware that they are pretty much burning their money but they do get what they paid for, either power over the poors (and thus respect) or the latest character. So it's easy to justify the expense.

This is not the case in SC. Big backers cannot truly justify the expense as they have not received (and may as well realize they are unlikely to ever receive) what they paid for. They don't truly get power and respect, and having the latest ship in a barely functional game is not as sweet as it could be. Thus you get a typical case of cognitive dissonance that is resolved by convincing yourself that the game is indeed great and you have (or will have) what you paid for. So you defend the game online as part of convincing yourself that everything is fine.

In addition to what you said, I think that a lot of backers are secretly worried about the state of SC as well. Deep down they realize that if funding ever stops (or even slows for that matter) the whole thing will collapse. As such there's a constant need for more people to "buy in" so the project can keep running.

So when ever someone mocks SC to them it reduces the chance that bystanders will buy ships, which in turn reduces the chance the game will reach fruition. So they need to combat any FUD criticism they see, in hopes that they can mitigate any damage to future funding.

Edit: FUD is to annoying of a term to use.

Viscous Soda fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Oct 10, 2021

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

The way they seemingly auto-arrange themselves to stack properly is the literal cherry on top.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

My one hot take from Citizencon posted:

I’m 7 years in at this point so past the elation of the dream the depression of reality :joy:

funny seeing a lot of that on spectrum

overall I don’t mind what I saw. My Polaris is sweating a little

one thing that did blow my mind was how CR has to approve the look of an artifact.

we need thousands of missions. Different missions so how is anyone going to get anything done if CR has to approve each object in each mission?

quote:

Would be like having the CEO at an animation studio approve every prop that came through...

Not the best use of time. I think CR micro manages based on his current whim, otherwise core components would be integrated and tested more often.

I just hopped back into SC after like 3 years or so, and was surprised that MEDICAL is just arriving. Its like playing a tutorial as it's being built. And the feedback for 3.15 isn't promising considering 30k crashes are the most dangerous element in the verse.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
There was a part where they were excitedly talking about having developed monster closets that allowed endless enemies to spawn in a much more believable way...

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Boxturret posted:

There was a part where they were excitedly talking about having developed monster closets that allowed endless enemies to spawn in a much more believable way...

It almost captures the capabilities of the triggered spawner classes in UnrealEngine 1. By this time next year, maybe they have all that quarter-century old functionality (only spawning when out of sight, spawning an arbitrary number including infinite, activating on a trigger, deactivating on a trigger, triggering something on deactivation). Exciting times indeed.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

loving loser.

Also instead of thinking about Star citizen you should watch Nine perfect strangers with Nicole Kidman or Squid game,they’re both brilliant and weird.

I loved squid game, but that loving diagram looked nothing like a squid so 0 out of 5 stars.

P.S. buy a squidris.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

quote:

You backed a Chris Robets game so you'll get a Chris Roberts game. You can Play Elite Dangerous if you just want the space sim part. It's dirty cheap and runs on a toaster.

quote:

Actually, looks like we ain't gettin poo poo.

quote:

Not with that attitude you wont.

quote:

Doesn't matter what our attitude is, all that matters is his attitude.
If it doesn't change, the game will suffer feature creep without ever getting a "full" release.

quote:

Feature creep has literally no relation with them taking time to release since what's holding them up is server meshing (network).

This is required to keep the seamless nature of the game (no instancing) while having one single universe for all players.

If they wanted to rush a release all they had to do was what to do what's already been done before.

Add instancing/lobbies reduce the physics and graphical complexity of the game while capping the servers to a limited number.

These games, like all Chris Roberts games before, are not about doing what's already been done but creating new ways to deliver better breathing and living worlds for players to get immersed. Even if that means taking the time to find ways of pushing tech forward to realise their game vision.

See it like this, if it was easy to make a game like this the real big studios would have made it by now.

So, until something better or remotely similar to the gameplay Star Citizen alpha provides comes along, you either enjoy it for what it is or you stuck waiting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Mirificus posted:

Again, the hand-held Tractor Beam needs to go

My favorite part is how most of the responses actually agree with him.

At least a few people actually pointed out how it's a manufactured problem anyway because CIG just never bothered to build anything besides small-size boxes. My take is that if they actually wanted a "realistic" scifi hauling scenario, there's no way you'd be able to handle the cargo yourself at all - robotic machinery would be required to load and unload, and you might as well just abstract that in the background rather than force the player to play box tetris every run. So in the name of "realism" they've actively made the game less realistic and harder to develop.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Oct 10, 2021