Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Yeah, it just straight sucks and while a tandem boss fight is interesting it's also like, there are way more tandem boss fights in DS2 anyway and it's not as interesting when it's a boss you've done alone before. At least Throne, the Watcher and Throne, the Defender aren't also boss fights elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
late but

multijoe posted:

It was a joke. I really tried to make specific, measured claims and not dismiss other people's playstyles and I've still got people responding as if I said 'bows are for casuls git gud scrub', like why even bother lol
saying

multijoe posted:

Sniping isn't gameplay though, it's bypassing the gameplay
is not a specific measured claim at all, it's a weird exaggeration at best and does come off as a 'git gud' thing.
also ds2 doesn't come anywhere near requiring bows at any point except for, if you want to count it, the bits in shulva where you use arrows to hit switches. but that's not combat related and not really what you're talking about I believe

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Oct 10, 2021

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Djeser posted:

Yeah, it just straight sucks and while a tandem boss fight is interesting it's also like, there are way more tandem boss fights in DS2 anyway and it's not as interesting when it's a boss you've done alone before. At least Throne, the Watcher and Throne, the Defender aren't also boss fights elsewhere.

I don't really mind it because Aava is a training mode for those two. If the double Sanctuary Guardian fight had boss health bars you'd get a lot less griping, I think, since it's just a short trot to throw yourself back at them. Or inversely, it's "just" the double Sanctuary Guardian fight again, but with actual rewards behind trying the challenge this time instead of treating them as respawning enemies.

As far as legit multi-boss fights (versus swarms or one main boss and adds), kind of yes and no. DS1 only has the Gargoyles, O&S and (maybe?) the Four Kings, but DS2 and DS3 have almost the same amount, depending on what you think counts in each game.

In 2 I'd count:

-Ruin Sentinels
-Belfry Gargoyles
-Throne Watcher & Throne Defender
-Maybe? Darklurker
-Maybe? Elana
-The Sunken King Gank Squad
-Lud & Zallen

In 3 I'd count:
-Maybe? Abyss Watchers
-Maybe? Crystal Sage
-The Twin Princes
-Sister Friede
-Gravetender & Greatwolf
-The Demon Prince

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Don't forget Deacons of the Deep and the last half of Pontiff Sulyvahn.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Horace Kinch posted:

Don't forget Deacons of the Deep and the last half of Pontiff Sulyvahn.

I'd treat the Deacons as a swarm boss like the Royal Rat Vanguard, but I was going back and forth on Sully. I suppose if Darklurker and Elana count though then Sulyvahn would.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Nuns with Guns posted:

-Ruin Sentinels
-Belfry Gargoyles
-Throne Watcher & Throne Defender
-Maybe? Darklurker
-Maybe? Elana
-The Sunken King Gank Squad
-Lud & Zallen

In 3 I'd count:
-Maybe? Abyss Watchers
-Maybe? Crystal Sage
-The Twin Princes
-Sister Friede
-Gravetender & Greatwolf
-The Demon Prince

That sounds like a pretty good line-up for a stoner doom festival.

i wonder if any game has had unrelated bosses come back as a boss team. That could be interesting.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Why does Elana summon Velstadt anyway? (in story terms)

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
My favourite thing about fighting Ava was the frustration for an hour and a half wondering why, having got to this point, I was struggling so badly.

Being told "Hey! I do not think your adaptability is high enough" levelling up and then destroying them first time.

Adaptability. Always.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Item Getter posted:

There's nothing outright stated, but it's thought that Velstadt may have been from the Sunken City back when it wasn't a craphole because there's some statues around in the Sunken City that look like they have the same helmet. If that's true, then she probably summoned him as the poopy incarnation of an old hero. The more direct reason is probably because he's a thinly veiled reference to Garl Vinland from Demon's Souls with his helmet and huge bell-hammer, being called in to defend Elana standing in for Maiden Astraea. Only she's covered in poop rather than just sitting in it.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Item Getter posted:

She's summoning the dead, and he happens to be dead. (His hammer says so.)

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

I assumed it was part of the whole Velstadt/Raime cuckoldry triangle thing

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Elissimpark posted:

i wonder if any game has had unrelated bosses come back as a boss team. That could be interesting.

Elana summoning Velstadt is kind of like that. Like everyone else said, there's proooobably lore reasons but they're not very explicit. Otherwise, no, there's nothing quite like that across Demon's Souls, DS1/2/3, Bloodborne, or Sekiro that I can think of. It would've been funny if the Old Dragonslayer and Dragonrider came back as a double fight instead of two Dragonriders (drat, that was one I missed.)

I've been wrapping up Fallen Order after leaving it for a while to work on some other games, and it will randomly drop a 2-person combination of different bounty hunter types at you later in the game and treats them as kind of random encounter minibosses. That's a pretty interesting mechanic and I could see that being fun in FromSoft games, too.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The surprise bounty hunter/prison arena sequence was probably the highlight of Fallen Order for me

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Started a new character and played for an hour or so.

Still a fun game.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Elana summoning Velstadt is such a gently caress you moment, it's great.

And I actually really enjoy the Lud & Zallen fight. I think it's fine to give the devs a little poo poo for not designing a new boss, but I think the actual fight itself is great.

sean_bateman
Feb 27, 2012

glug.gif

Elissimpark posted:

I played DS3 with the Slumbering Dragoncrest ring equipped most the time, allowing for Llap-goch style rushes. In DS2, you have to go out of your way with PvP to get it, so I find I'm generally aggroing more with a bow, then finishing with melee.

Every one of my DS2 builds wears the Sanctum Knight Leggings.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

sean_bateman posted:

I did not know they did that. Well, time for some ugly pants.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Rubellavator posted:

And I actually really enjoy the Lud & Zallen fight. I think it's fine to give the devs a little poo poo for not designing a new boss, but I think the actual fight itself is great.

For me it is 100% the runback. Same thing with Blue Smelter. And hell, same thing with Sir Alonne. Great fight, unique fight, infinitely more frustrating just because I have to dance through dumb bullshit to take another crack at him.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

sean_bateman posted:

At the very least I need a reason to use something else.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.
Hi y'all.

I'm very very bad at Dark Souls although the first one is one of my favorite games ever. I finally sank enough hours into it to get... well, not "gud", but, somewhat passable. I find the easiest build a dex / int build, or even just pure dex.

I started DaS2 this past week and I'm just getting destroyed. I tried to go full on sorcery because shiny spells are my jam, and got so frustrated at the lack of weapons to support the build (and that I deal very low damage even with 44 int). My "soul level" is super high because I keep dying and losing souls.

So I switched to dex / faith. This was more fun as I guess the powerstance rapier can be neat, but it still doesn't hit very hard. Faith seems to be a big letdown. Three casts of lightning spear is bloody terrible and it does no damage. I've got a bow that works better.

What is a good, easy build for a new player who is terrible? Faith seems like a trap, Int seems like a good support but not a main, Dex seems very dependent on getting lucky drops late game, and Str seems OP. Pyro / Str?

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

"Strike" weapons (usually STR-based) are really strong in Dark Souls 2, so if you're looking for an easier road through, consider weapons that do "strike" damage like clubs (as opposed to slash/thrust damage). With those and a bow you'll be alright. You should also put some points into the 'Adaptability' line when leveling up as it controls your iframes, how fast you drink Estus that kind of thing. Someone else can probably give you a bigger effortpost

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Use a mace or a big club for probably the easiest way through, dual wield Cestus for the most fun (while also doing great damage)

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Thursday Next posted:

Hi y'all.

I'm very very bad at Dark Souls although the first one is one of my favorite games ever. I finally sank enough hours into it to get... well, not "gud", but, somewhat passable. I find the easiest build a dex / int build, or even just pure dex.

I started DaS2 this past week and I'm just getting destroyed. I tried to go full on sorcery because shiny spells are my jam, and got so frustrated at the lack of weapons to support the build (and that I deal very low damage even with 44 int). My "soul level" is super high because I keep dying and losing souls.

So I switched to dex / faith. This was more fun as I guess the powerstance rapier can be neat, but it still doesn't hit very hard. Faith seems to be a big letdown. Three casts of lightning spear is bloody terrible and it does no damage. I've got a bow that works better.

What is a good, easy build for a new player who is terrible? Faith seems like a trap, Int seems like a good support but not a main, Dex seems very dependent on getting lucky drops late game, and Str seems OP. Pyro / Str?

Mace for strength, rapier for dex, both available from Lenigrast

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Thursday Next posted:

Hi y'all.

I will always suggest grand lance for sotfs edition. 18 str 22 dex, you need to soldier key from theast giant to get it.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Thursday Next posted:

Hi y'all.

Offensive miracles stink, the healing miracles are great though. If you want to style on DS2 any source of Strike Damage (blunt weapons) will give you an edge vs drat near everything.

Another Dirty Dish
Oct 8, 2009

:argh:

Thursday Next posted:

Pyro scales off Int + Fth, so I think it works best as a compliment to an Int or Fth build. On the other hand, there are no stat reqs, so anybody can toss on a ring that adds attunement to take advantage of utility pyromancies.

A more accessible magic option is Hexer. I’d probably save this for a new playthrough, but the gist of it is that you need to rush Felkin, The Guy Who Loves The Dark, and whisper sweet nothings in his ear until he gives you all his OP equipment. Then equip Dark Orb, infuse your staff with dark, and pretty much waltz through the game. The drawbacks: dark orb sound effect gets old fast, shorter range than sorcery, big damage hexes cost souls to cast, and it’s stat hungry (lesser of Int and Fth).

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Use a greatshield as a crutch. You can buy the twin dragon greatshield, which has reasonable stat requirements and is lightweight, as an alternative to a big heavy one if you're not pumping str. It's not 100% physical resistant, but it's close enough, and the stability that a greatshield offers is far more important.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Thursday Next posted:

Caster builds can wreck things, but depend a lot on knowing where certain items and vendors are, so they're not ideal for your first time through. 44 Int is probably more than what you need unless you're already up to Drangleic Castle or something and you should put some points into your HP so you don't get thrashed quite so hard. Also, in case you may have overlooked it, unlike in DS1 catalysts can be upgraded like weapons, and also infused to improve scaling in the element you infused with.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I remember way back when, pre-SOTFS, I did a caster run after playing through the game the "normal" way, and wow there were some funny parts. Like the dreaded lost bastille door that had all the royal swordsmen pour out of. I just ran around killing them super easily and they never touched me. Just blew me the gently caress away lol. Just funny how differently the game can be played sometimes.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

I like that you can just avoid them by opening the door to nowhere below them and on subsequent visits just roll off the ledge above it and only have to kill one dude.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Hi thread

I’m level 35, I’ve put all my points into Dex and Adaptability because I want more I-frames lol. I’m wearing Hard Leather armor with a +4 Falchion/+4 Rapier. When do I get cool or weird weapons and armor for my Dex build? Perusing a checklist for the game and it seems I’m barely past the intro, this game seems massive.

I just finished No Man’s Wharf, I’ve beaten Pursuer, Last Giant, and the fat red knight in Flame Tower. Should I go back and kill the dragon? I unfrozen the 3 statues I’ve found so far.

As a Dex character I would really like to dual wield but also use a ranged weapon. Are there any benefits to Crossbow over a regular bow?

I’ve only ever played casters in these games, this is my first melee build in dark souls

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
You can use the Wharf boss soul to make the Warped Sword which was a fun dex weapon that gives you a cool moveset if your power stance it in your right hand

My first playthrough was powerstanced warped Sword in my right hand, washing pole in my left

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

Hi thread

I’m level 35, I’ve put all my points into Dex and Adaptability because I want more I-frames lol. I’m wearing Hard Leather armor with a +4 Falchion/+4 Rapier. When do I get cool or weird weapons and armor for my Dex build? Perusing a checklist for the game and it seems I’m barely past the intro, this game seems massive.

I just finished No Man’s Wharf, I’ve beaten Pursuer, Last Giant, and the fat red knight in Flame Tower. Should I go back and kill the dragon? I unfrozen the 3 statues I’ve found so far.

As a Dex character I would really like to dual wield but also use a ranged weapon. Are there any benefits to Crossbow over a regular bow?

I’ve only ever played casters in these games, this is my first melee build in dark souls

Just keep going basically. Rapier will carry you a long way but this game is massive and has poo poo tons of weapons. Most of them are forgettable or near-clones of another weapon but many are good and some are just weird as hell (there’s an honest-to-god lightsaber in one of the DLCs for example, and Ivy’s whip sword from Soulcalibur is in another)

The Wharf boss soul can be traded to a guy in the next zone for a good curved sword or a good curved greatsword. Both strong for a dex guy

The dragon isn’t that hard once you’ve gotten within melee range of him so you might as well go back and kill him at some point, but he only gates an optional boss, nothing that good.

Crossbows have no or almost no scaling, so you can make them raw for a damage boost with no drawbacks. You can also hip-fire them from one hand or two-hand to aim, which makes them a bit more versatile in combat. It is a very good idea to have some ranged option in DS2.

Now that you have cleared Heide, talk to the miracle selling NPC in the tower of flame until her dialogue repeats, then go back to Majula and walk back towards Heide to find her again. You can pay her to open up a new path. In fact you have to do this to beat the game technically there are alternatives but they’re even more counterintuitive

skasion fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Oct 27, 2021

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

My first playthrough was powerstanced warped Sword in my right hand, washing pole in my left

Sick! :fyadride:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Is “powerstancing” just using a sword 2 handed or is it more than that?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
The short version is, it's a step above normal dual-wielding. If you dual wield two powerstance-compatible weapons, and have 1.5x the stats needed to wield both one of them, you can hold triangle or Y and move into a power stance, which gives you access to attacks and movesets that incorporate both weapons at once.

http://darksouls2.wikidot.com/dual-wielding

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Oct 27, 2021

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

Is “powerstancing” just using a sword 2 handed or is it more than that?

Regular two handing is one thing, powerstancing is a mechanic unique to DS2 where you get special dual wielding attacks.

You unlock powerstance by getting 1.5x the stat requirements for both equipped weapons. Say you have a sword that requires 12Str 10Dex and a dagger that requires 8Str 4dex. Then you would need 12Str x 1.5 = 18str and 10dex x 1.5 = 15Dex (from the weapon with the higher requirements)

When you meet the requirement, hold Y like you would to twohand your left hand weapon and instead you'll enter a special stance where LB and LT will be special dual wielding attacks.

Depending on which weapons you equip you will get different movesets that generally deal a lot more damage at a higher stamina cost.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Ok that rules. What are the stat breakpoints to shoot for? And my buddy keeps talking about DS2 hex builds, what is a hex build?

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
Hexes are the Dark spells, which need both Int and Faith.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

IIRC Hexes scale based on the lowest value between int/faith while by comparison Pyro scales off everything you put into int or faith up to a cap of around 60