Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

The yellow EMMI is an rear end in a top hat, btw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Beat the game with 100% item completion, 10:59:15, game intensely insanely good

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared

Blaziken386 posted:

I like how some of the speedboost puzzles rely on super precise timing to activate shine spark at the end, but then other ones are just "fling samus around the map like a demented pinball"
<snip>
(I tried carrying a shine spark through the bombs like twenty times before giving up and trying to do it from the bottom instead. Because that's apparently an option too..)

Wow, I seriously overcomplicated it when I did it. I went with the second method, but didn't even think of Sparking into the stairs; I just did it with a single charge. Would you believe I did not parse "stairs" as "ramp"?

SL the Pyro fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Oct 10, 2021

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Experiment Z-57 can eat a bag of dicks. His pattern isn't too bad but gah, you lose so much HP if you make a single mistake and I hate the goddamn space jump part.

Also not sure how to trigger the long counter cutscene. I managed to do it once but ever since I just uh counter and can make a few shots before the fight goes on as normal.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

Zore posted:

Experiment Z-57 can eat a bag of dicks. His pattern isn't too bad but gah, you lose so much HP if you make a single mistake and I hate the goddamn space jump part.

Same. I'm currently walled by him and he just has SO MUCH GODDAMN HP, it's ridiculous. It makes the mistakes you make even more punishing because there just aren't really ways to get energy back in this fight.

ZZT the Fifth fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Oct 10, 2021

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared
Oh my god I just realized why my janky mid-air Shinespark method was working. Press Shoot and Jump at the same time while holding a direction with a Shinespark ready. You can even do this while spinning.

e: Doesn't work in Morph Ball form though. That has to be done from the ground.

ZZT the Fifth posted:

Same. I'm currently walled by him and he just has SO MUCH GODDAMN HP, it's ridiculous. It makes the mistakes you make even more punishing because there just aren't really ways to get energy back in this fight.

Are you shooting his hands when he grabs the wall with a bunch of arms? He heals when he does this. That's why the fight takes so long.

SL the Pyro fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Oct 10, 2021

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
gently caress this I need a hint system. Five maps available to me and I have no clue where to go once you get the grapple beam.

I remember Adam saying to get the space jump boots but I don't have those.

Edit: ffs somehow got it into my head that the elevator to Ferenia was inaccessible.

snoremac fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Oct 10, 2021

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Blaziken386 posted:

I like how some of the speedboost puzzles rely on super precise timing to activate shine spark at the end, but then other ones are just "fling samus around the map like a demented pinball"
https://i.imgur.com/QwQGvpR.mp4
(I tried carrying a shine spark through the bombs like twenty times before giving up and trying to do it from the bottom instead. Because that's apparently an option too..)

Man I should really buy this game

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Zore posted:

Also not sure how to trigger the long counter cutscene. I managed to do it once but ever since I just uh counter and can make a few shots before the fight goes on as normal.

As soon as you counter, start pumping missiles into its face like there's no tomorrow and never stop.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Nikumatic posted:

lol what are/were people doing in the final boss fight to actually damage him through the armor at all? I just dodged everything until he did his full-floor dash, countered it three times, on to phase two.
I was definitely mashing him with missiles/charge shots/power bombs at first to see what worked before I gave up and just always-countered.

Mostly just curious if I was doing things the hard way or the easy way by comparison.

at the beginning of phase one when he's glowing red, attacks seem to damage him just fine. after you do the counter and he starts glowing gold, nothing seems to hurt him except for counters so there's not much reason to shoot at all other than when he throws the black balls, so it's just dodging for a minute or so until he does the counter taunt animation

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

BisbyWorl posted:

Something that helps is that when he uses his big sun attack, you can drop a Power Bomb to instantly break it and give you some drops.

God damnit that's the only attack I didn't try using, I'm going to kick his loving rear end when I get up tomorrow morning

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

raditts posted:

God damnit that's the only attack I didn't try using, I'm going to kick his loving rear end when I get up tomorrow morning

The hilarious part is that I found that out by accident.

I went into morph ball to dodge an attack, he followed up by charging a sun, so I decided to charge an attack of my own.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Late (I think?) game question:

I just got the gravity suit and now a lot of areas are frozen. Am I locked out of these areas for good now?

Edit: nevermind, got my answer not long after posting this.

Frankston fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Oct 10, 2021

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I haven't seen anyone else mention it but the storm missile boss was one of the absolute hardest bosses for me. Does a ton of damage like all bosses but also with attacks that are really hard to dodge, and very small windows where you are actually able to do damage.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

raditts posted:

at the beginning of phase one when he's glowing red, attacks seem to damage him just fine. after you do the counter and he starts glowing gold, nothing seems to hurt him except for counters so there's not much reason to shoot at all other than when he throws the black balls, so it's just dodging for a minute or so until he does the counter taunt animation

You can also counter him when he charges at you with the gut punch.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Is there a good tutorial on using shine spark and speed boost? I'm terrible at this.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Twelve by Pies posted:

I haven't seen anyone else mention it but the storm missile boss was one of the absolute hardest bosses for me. Does a ton of damage like all bosses but also with attacks that are really hard to dodge, and very small windows where you are actually able to do damage.

Were you using the flash step ability liberally? Because after a couple of tries to figure out how the boss worked I found that a doddle, you just bait the beam orb onto the wall or jump over the floor detonation and boost above or below the boss whenever it uses its tracking beam

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Wait a second I just noticed something about Adam. Possibly a spoiler? At the beginning of the game when Samus is flying into ZDR, Adam calls her "Lady" as established in Fusion. But I just noticed it call Samus by name in one of the computer rooms. Maybe I'm overthinking it though.

Anyway just got the Gravity Suit. Debating whether I want to keep going forward, or backtrack and try to get items. I might just wait until endgame though, or at least until power bombs, since I'm running into a lot more of those blocks. I'm also a bit annoyed because in Ferenia there's a missile expansion that seems like it requires power bombs, it's at the top of a long shaft and has three regular bomb blocks, but as far as I can tell even if you use infinite bomb jumping, there wouldn't actually be a way to blow up that many bomb blocks in a row from midair. So why didn't they just make the blocks power bomb blocks? It just bothers me, honestly, like they're being intentionally misleading or something.

multijoe posted:

Were you using the flash step ability liberally? Because after a couple of tries to figure out how the boss worked I found that a doddle, you just bait the beam orb onto the wall or jump over the floor detonation and boost above or below the boss whenever it uses its tracking beam

I was able to avoid the beam orb, it was the little wriggly worms it shot out that were hard to dodge, it seemed like even using flash step they'd home in on me. Not all of them of course but I'd usually get hit by a couple. I wasn't flash stepping out of the way of its dive bombs though, that probably would've helped.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2hNGukk6YY

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Shyfted One posted:

Is there a good tutorial on using shine spark and speed boost? I'm terrible at this.
Once you're speeding, you can press down at any time and Samus will store the shine spark (turn purple). You have plenty of time to come to a complete stop at that point and align yourself right. Then hold up or down (the way you want to go) and press B.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Purple EMMI is boring as gently caress and not fun at all. How do I beat it in such a confined space?

Edit: about 30 loving attempts later

Frankston fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Oct 10, 2021

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Frankston posted:

Purple EMMI is boring as gently caress and not fun at all. How do I beat it in such a confined space?

You can make an entire circle of the bottom part. Once you've made almost a full lap, you can go slightly up and left to some shutters that you need to Phase Shift (or just jump) over. Go all the way to the end of this and that's the most open spot.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
I think they introduced and killed Quiet Robe in the same cutscene so that players didn't keep travelling all of the way back to them whenever they got lost

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

This game made me emulate prime 1 on dolphin with mouse and keyboard controls at 1440p and gently caress it's pretty and really holds up.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

queeb posted:

This game made me emulate prime 1 on dolphin with mouse and keyboard controls at 1440p and gently caress it's pretty and really holds up.

I'm gonna do the same when I'm finished with Dread. I bet Nintendo decides to announce the Switch remaster the second I do.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

queeb posted:

I remember hearing about that awhile ago and it was on the back of my mind as something to do after I finished Dread - is there a guide to setting this up?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

I remember hearing about that awhile ago and it was on the back of my mind as something to do after I finished Dread - is there a guide to setting this up?

It's barely more complicated than emulating a ROM, just install Dolphin, download the ISO and check the Dolphin wiki for any special emulator configurations for the game. I've got it on my PC running at 4k and it plays perfectly

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
metroid dread ftw

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

snoremac posted:

At a loss here. Where do you go after getting grapple beam? I've been everywhere I can conceivably reach.

I had the same issue, I ended up just looking up a guide because I kept scouring the map looking for thing and then realizing the grapple point was facing the wrong direction

You have to go to the elevator in the top right-ish area of the robot zone in the third area, there's a large block you can pull to access it.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Note you can just shoot him, no need for missiles or charge beam.

Are you *super* sure of this? there's an very visible and audible clinking off his armor that you get when you shoot him normally, which typically means it doesn't work

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Oct 10, 2021

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Oh wow, so at least one boss has a special quick kill you can get through sequence breaking:
video linked to avoid embed

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Blaziken386 posted:

Yeah I love it. I did it the top way and was very proud of myself after.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

For emulating prime 1-3 with wsad and mouse look and all that.

Grab the latest version of dolphin
Grab a copy of Wii Prime trilogy from your favorite place (the legit rip you made yourself obvs)
Grab prime hack updater from https://github.com/shiiion/dolphin/wiki
Put it in the dolphin folder and run
It'll update and launch an already configured dolphin window
Go to controllers and click the Wii remote Metroid controller and then set it to default
Go to graphics and set it to whatever your desktop res is
You can up the fov in the prime hack tab of the graphics window, 85 is real nice.

Enjoy

Edit: every time you wanna play prime you launch from the prime hack updater

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Vookatos posted:

I feel like the bits of the map with EMMI are a bit too sterile and become empty once you destroy it, which doesn't even make much sense lore-wise, as they are research robots and should be able to go anywhere. As of now, they seem more like guardians of a certain area. I also feel like it's easier to just get it to follow you and outrun it rather than hide, which kinda negates the whole Dread feeling.

Nobody cares, but this is explained in the game. Apparently, the hacking doesn't work outside of the areas they chase you in.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
Just completed the game, the final boss/escape sequences were great but I kind of wish you got to do a little more with the Metroid suit at the end, aside from fire a giant fuckoff laser one time

also a neat little trick I found for the final boss: when he's in his last form and throws a giant sun to the top of the screen, you can use a power bomb to just destroy it immediately and get a whole bunch of health/missiles in the process

I wound up liking the 1-on-1 bosses a whole lot overall, very Megaman X-ish, although some of them repeated a little too much

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Blaziken386 posted:

this is the one that made me stop playing last night, good to know i've been approaching it from the wrong direction

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Just watched a new Any% world record happen on stream. 1:57:28.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

My one complaint is that the soundtrack could have used some more bops. Final boss deserves to be backed by an electric guitar, heavy drums, maybe a chorus here and there chanting random nonsense chozo

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
The soundtrack was honestly the most unfortunately forgettable part of the entire game tbh, everything is a solid 8-9/10 and the music is just...there.

I guess to be fair they have 30 years of nostalgia over old leitmotifs to contend with but I don't recall, say, Prime's soundtrack not feeling like a banger even at the time

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
yeah my two main complaints are that the music isn't memorable (though Idk if this is controversial but I've never seen Metroid as a series particularly great for its music), and that while the environments are beautiful it doesn't have the sense of progression that Super Metroid had where Lower Norfair is clearly an end game area and has that total end-boss atmosphere to it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Feels Villeneuve posted:

(though Idk if this is controversial but I've never seen Metroid as a series particularly great for its music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbbUv1hz6mE