Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Feels Villeneuve posted:

yeah my two main complaints are that the music isn't memorable (though Idk if this is controversial but I've never seen Metroid as a series particularly great for its music), and that while the environments are beautiful it doesn't have the sense of progression that Super Metroid had where Lower Norfair is clearly an end game area and has that total end-boss atmosphere to it

Dread leans too far into the ambience side of music and not enough into the melody side which is what hurts its soundtrack overall, but Metroid as a whole has some absolute godlike melodies, and at times perfectly mixes ambience and melody together, Phendrana drifts being the obvious example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

yeah my two main complaints are that the music isn't memorable (though Idk if this is controversial but I've never seen Metroid as a series particularly great for its music), and that while the environments are beautiful it doesn't have the sense of progression that Super Metroid had where Lower Norfair is clearly an end game area and has that total end-boss atmosphere to it

i think it's pretty telling that most of Dread's catchier jingles are from super metroid

now that i think on it most of the series music i remember is from SM. that could be childhood imprinting but come on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLcyg4Tq5uY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoHm2BZeWbQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZwmwC9KkEQ

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The Prime series soundtracks were consistently great, Super Metroid too. Can't say anything from Fusion or Zero Mission really leaps out though

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
yeah i'm mainly talking 2D, I skipped out on the entire Gamecube and didn't get the Wii versions when I had the chance (which is a pity because the Wii doesn't seem bad for that kind of game)

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Yeah, honestly outside of Prime 1 and 2 I've never really cared to much about the music in a Metroid game

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

heres the beginning of prime so far, scaled up

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

multijoe posted:

The Prime series soundtracks were consistently great, Super Metroid too. Can't say anything from Fusion or Zero Mission really leaps out though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_DiwhVbTmE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGv2Ua74Ils

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYf5IKzXFG0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgdlCSh6Eo4

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

queeb posted:

Just compare it to how, say, Halo looks from the same generation and the difference is night and day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2X6JH4riIY

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

multijoe posted:

Prime's main theme is an absolute banger. Probably the best track in the whole series.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

queeb posted:

I almost wouldn't want an HD remake with new assets, even just with upscaled resolution and AA the visuals stand up so well why mess with perfection?

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

queeb posted:

If you don't mind playing the original GC version, the MP1 randomizer is great fun.

It has an option to just

make you morph ball sized.

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh
Clicking the thread with my eyes closed because I don't want to see any spoilers but I do want to say that Dread loving owns

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Got morph ball gently caress yeah

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I can't say I agree with the notion that the Metroid series isn't known for having great music. Maybe not every track is memorable (which makes sense, a lot of it is ambient music), but all of the games have at least a couple of strong tracks.

Even Metroid II has its fair share of bops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCIH943auRA

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

https://twitter.com/CanadianAniGuy/status/1447027564426498050

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro
Game owns, just got to the third area and was really enjoying it until I failed the "fumble my Nintendo switch and fail to stop it from falling into the shitter" quicktime event

RIP little buddy

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

And still she refuses to crawl.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Glad I wasn't the only person underwhelmed by the music. There's a cutscene where you hear the lower brinstar motif and it made me excited that it might actually get used as area music just like how Prime 2 remixed it in Torvus.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'm not too bothered about the game stopping you backtracking so often - it's nice that you can't really get lost. But it does rob you of that feeling you get when you unlock an ability and remember all the places you've passed that you can go back and use it.

"Holy poo poo I finally got the morph ball! Now I can finally go back to the first area and get through all those gaps... Nope looks like I won't be going back anytime soon. :("

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The small area where you find the x parasites did have some excellent music, tbf

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

stev posted:

I'm not too bothered about the game stopping you backtracking so often - it's nice that you can't really get lost. But it does rob you of that feeling you get when you unlock an ability and remember all the places you've passed that you can go back and use it.

"Holy poo poo I finally got the morph ball! Now I can finally go back to the first area and get through all those gaps... Nope looks like I won't be going back anytime soon. :("

there are definitely points where you can go back and clean up a bit, but you can kind of "miss" them and be stuck until you find another teleporter or something similar. I kind of wish ADAM would have said something like "you can mop up a bit now if you wish" to make this a bit more clear

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The small area where you find the x parasites did have some excellent music, tbf

and the counterpoint, the final boss had a track that I honestly don't know if it was bugged and playing BGM overlaid on "the fight has it an important point, increase the background music!" stuff but it was bad enough that I was noticing it being bad during the fight which is honestly retroactively impressive tbh

ExtraQuiet
Apr 25, 2016

by Shine
i probably have not been paying enough attention, but is some of the musical fanfare missing? I picked up a powerup and didn't get the usual metroid sounds.
maybe they only happen with chozo items?
i noticed the doors still make that wonderful bloop sound when closing, and the startup fanfare is there from what i recall.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I am completely stumped by the energy tank at the top of Artaria, the one trapped by speed boost blocks in the ceiling behind a shutter and two bomb blocks. Unless there's a way to stop a shinespark and keep the charge (which seems unlikely), there isn't enough speed to build up before the tunnel with the bomb blocks, so you have to do it from the other room. So blowing up the bomb blocks first isn't an option, since they'll have respawned by the time you leave and come back. You have to save the shinespark for the tunnel, but by the time you blow up both bomb blocks, there's nowhere near enough time to unmorph, flash step through the shutter and then shinespark up. So what the hell do you do?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Samus. My analysis indicates that you are a weakling. A total scrub. A prancing frou-frou wussy wuss. Continue pursuit of your objective. Scrub.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Twelve by Pies posted:

I am completely stumped by the energy tank at the top of Artaria, the one trapped by speed boost blocks in the ceiling behind a shutter and two bomb blocks. Unless there's a way to stop a shinespark and keep the charge (which seems unlikely), there isn't enough speed to build up before the tunnel with the bomb blocks, so you have to do it from the other room. So blowing up the bomb blocks first isn't an option, since they'll have respawned by the time you leave and come back. You have to save the shinespark for the tunnel, but by the time you blow up both bomb blocks, there's nowhere near enough time to unmorph, flash step through the shutter and then shinespark up. So what the hell do you do?

Go past the shutter, then run right to build up a spark, you have exactly enough space to build a charge. It'll last long enough for the shutter to raise, then flash over and spark up.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
loving LUL Kotaku:

https://twitter.com/Kotaku/status/1447166776043769864

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Ok I beat the game my first time at about 6 hours and then again with 100% item completion just now. Gotta ask one question (major endgame spoilers):

Since it isn’t explicitly pointed out, are we supposed to assume that the computer navigator was actually Raven Beak the whole time and not computer Adam? Or was that just a trick he tried to pull on her right before the final battle?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Ok I beat the game my first time at about 6 hours and then again with 100% item completion just now. Gotta ask one question (major endgame spoilers):

Since it isn’t explicitly pointed out, are we supposed to assume that the computer navigator was actually Raven Beak the whole time and not computer Adam? Or was that just a trick he tried to pull on her right before the final battle?

the computer starts calling you "Samus" instead of "Lady" right after you wake up

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

It's Adam while you're on the ship and then Raven Beak the whole rest of the time. Uploading data to the computers never actually connected Samus back to the ship, Raven Beak was intercepting everything.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

you didn’t think something was up when Adam started saying poo poo like “Samus even though you are almost at full power you stand no chance against Raven Beak, he is just too strong and bad rear end and cool and did you know he has a massive dick and also….”

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

the computer starts calling you "Samus" instead of "Lady" right after you wake up

Orange Crush Rush posted:

you didn’t think something was up when Adam started saying poo poo like “Samus even though you are almost at full power you stand no chance against Raven Beak, he is just too strong and bad rear end and cool and did you know he has a massive dick and also….”

Okay I thought so. Just wasn’t 100% sure.

Edit: has anyone figured out if there are different endings depending on your time/item %/Difficulty? After my first time beating it I got two of the ending gallery pics, when I beat it with 100% just now I unlocked a special picture of Samus with a bunch of characters/enemies from the whole series in the regular gallery, along with the rest of the pics.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Oct 10, 2021

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

(end of game) i wish raven beak was a cooler dad and ADAM would say stuff like how you should really come home for thanksgiving and to give him a call on the weekends or something

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

It's pretty funny to read on a second playthrough knowing that you're talking to an imposter and looking back over just how egotistical he was.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

i mean that was adam's shtick in fusion talking about the SA-X too so it barely seemed out of place

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

The shinespark puzzle in the secret area in Burenia is one of the most unintuitive things I've ever encountered in a Metroid game. It was really hard to find, too.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Oxxidation posted:

Samus. My analysis indicates that you are a weakling. A total scrub. A prancing frou-frou wussy wuss. Continue pursuit of your objective. Scrub.

What’s weird is this is like all he ever says. I’m like 3/4s through the game and he doesn’t really accomplish anything? Like not even hints if you get stuck

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

:lol: All too real!

Also goddamn the devs made this game punishing unless you achieve pretty near perfect play on some bosses. There isn't much buffer IMO.

I just got the gravity suit and all excited, less damage then run into a boss that basically chunks you in 6-8ish hits if you gently caress up. I don't remember many bosses from before in the series smashing you this hard and basically causing you having to repeat until nearly flawless.

This was that chozo thing with spears that learned to now puke black stuff on you. So that takes out a ton and if you get hit that also removes a ton.

Even coming from being a Souls veteran and worshipping it this feels very much so like a "git gud scrub" game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

CharlestheHammer posted:

What’s weird is this is like all he ever says. I’m like 3/4s through the game and he doesn’t really accomplish anything? Like not even hints if you get stuck

I was amazed that he didn't comment at all on Kraid.