Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Arglebargle III posted:

I don't have a clue what you're arguing about.

Some goon didn't want to watch a show because the advertising made it look unappealing. Other goons lost their mind about it. Typical TVIV high drama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

GABA ghoul posted:

I guess, but a couple hundred people still seems too few. The Foundation doesn't even have enough people so send an agent/representative to every world in the Empire. With trillions of people and their cultures and technologies to preserve and spread, it feels like it's just too small. I mean, a random rear end seed bank today already has something like 10 employees. I feel like the show would have benefited from portraying it as a much larger operation. It's not like Hari would have had any trouble convincing at least a couple million librarians to go with him (or whatever the librarian equivalent is in a society that has no need for librarians because libraries have been all digital for ten thousand years).

The book states that Seldon has 98,572 followers as of the trial in the opening. I feel like the emptiness of the show is partially a budget issue and partially trying to emphasize how alone The Foundation is.

stephenthinkpad posted:

Did episode 3 and 4 mention the Encyclopedia at all? book 1 Isn't this a big decoy before the first Seldon Crisis? I am afraid the show watchers have forgotten about it already.

Given that Cleon just dispatched an envoy to Terminus, I feel like it'll be mentioned a lot more real soon.

duz fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Oct 9, 2021

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

The previous Brother Dusk got his gross old man cooties all over the new Brother Dawn and messed up his gestation.

The clone concept of "safe sex" was pretty hilarious, lowering the Clone Emperor Force field.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
No angry sex, it will bounce you to the wall.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

etalian posted:

The clone concept of "safe sex" was pretty hilarious, lowering the Clone Emperor Force field.

Dune shields but for sex.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Killer robot posted:

Dune shields but for sex.

Walk without rhythm and it won’t attract the worm.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Phenotype posted:

I really didn't expect it, I thought Asimov's stuff was all hard science and logic and didn't have any froo froo magic abilities running around. That being said, I'm here for it and willing to see what they do with it. I don't know that it's all "different magical abilities", though, I'm willing to accept a generalized "psychicness" or whatever that makes her immune to the force field and gives her vague precognitive abilities.

uhhhhh the Mule dude

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

feedmegin posted:

uhhhhh the Mule dude

Please mark which spoilers are book spoilers; I don't think Phenotype has finished reading the books yet.

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Oct 10, 2021

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

It's pretty amusing how all the prestige competition HBO shows can't get things like
-characters
-Casting/acting
-meaningful plot and character development progression (the biggest problem with the show after 4 episodes)

Along with missing how you only have a few episodes to hook people on the show if they aren't book knowledge braggers

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

im really digging this show because it feels like how i remember asimov feels (a series of conversations between enormous nerds in a universe where trillions of people would care about a debate between two math professors) but i have absolutely no clue why apple made it this way and thought itd be a GOT contender. the scene where (ep4) the royal statistician knows seldon is right but is too afraid to admit it feels like amazing pure camp

Farm Frenzy fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Oct 10, 2021

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Farm Frenzy posted:

the royal statistician knows seldon is right but is too afraid to admit it feels like amazing pure camp

Yea that scene was great because because shows that even if the Empire wanted to change, it can't, its institutions are too entrenched and afraid to upset the order. Even when the curren Day screaming in their faces if he's right, they can only go into rehearsed denials.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
It was absolutely clear from that scene that a) Brother Dusk had made it obvious to the mathematicians that they were not to come back without disproving psychohistory, under penalty of death, and b) that the Royal mathematician had immediately realized that there was no way to do that on day 1 but had been riding the gravy train for 30 years by stringing Dusk along.

This show might have its flaws but it is absolutely fantastic at showing, not telling, even with a shitload of dialogue.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

withak posted:

Was Dawn fumbling to not be left-handed in the dinner scene? Possibly not a good sign in your perfect genetic dynasty.
Oh my god. This made me go back and scan through the episode and the whole thing is rife with nods at this fact. I feel like such a bad TV watcher. Another major one was he's drawing the lady with his left hand and when the fixer comes up to talk to him, he switches to his right hand and then draws a like super poorly. Also when they do the napkin flappy thing, he does it with his left hand and sorta grabs his left arm a bit. I never would've noticed this if I didn't know to look for it. Good on the show for being subtle, bad on me for not picking up on it.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Well spotted

Rollos
Aug 11, 2007

Hold on, won't be long
Really loving the the Empire story clone stuff so much that I really wish it's were its own show. There's just so much subtext that you can play with (authoritarian power structure's trying to literally clone itself for order vs Darwinian chaos, Freudian family stuff, death vs immortality etc...). Enjoying the visuals a lot too and think the writers have done a good job so far.

I wonder how this show is going over with people that haven't read the books though? Even this thread is half filled with spoilers from book readers that I'm pretty worried the showrunners won't be able to carry out their "80 episode plan" (LOL). The subject matter of the books makes it hard for long lasting characters that the average viewer can grasp on to. I try to imagine myself having not read the books and I think I'd be really puzzled with what the point is and why I should care. The constant relying on cliffhangers hasn't been a good look and makes me pretty worried about the future of the series.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I haven’t read the books and I’m enjoying it well enough. It’s not all-time great TV or anything but I don’t feel like you have to have read the books to “get it”

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah, I've never read the books and it's just fine.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I read the books once forever ago and I don't remember the details, but I do remember the overall idea. Things they have added or changed I don't notice because I just figured I didn't remember it. I like the show okay and will continue to watch, though it would be nice if something actually happened each episode.
I'm also watching with someone who has never read the books, or even heard of them. They asked me what was going on in the first couple episodes, I didn't have much of an answer, but now they are enjoying the show a lot. I think they just love the acting and what to see what will happen next.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
The casting in the show is really on point.

True Trantor mathematics for true Trantors.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Imagine next episode will be another stage of Empire meltdown

Brother Day's mission to rig the next space pope election goes south due to his lack of diplomatic and leverage.

Brother Dawn continues his Elliot Rogers type creepy stalker and incel behavior with the gardener chick

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

etalian posted:

Brother Day's mission to rig the next space pope election goes south due to his lack of diplomatic and leverage.

Brother Dawn continues his Elliot Rogers type creepy stalker and incel behavior with the gardener chick

I think Brother Day's gonna end up dead, wrecking the whole plan for how the clones govern and thrusting the woefully unprepared Brother Dawn into the role. It would fit with how Hari said they needed to break the cycle of clone emperors to delay the fall.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

I think Brother Day's gonna end up dead, wrecking the whole plan for how the clones govern and thrusting the woefully unprepared Brother Dawn into the role. It would fit with how Hari said they needed to break the cycle of clone emperors to delay the fall.

Yeah worse case he could end up either killed or imprisoned due to botching his attempts to rig the next pope election.

The recent episode also highlighted how they both noticed something was off for Brother Dawn since he's afflicted by emo behavior.

Imagine he Brother Dawn will get killed or find a way to get killed after getting caught doing the cyber stalker behavior on the gardener chick.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I really hope the pace starts picking up soon, it feels like the show is already treading water, trying to drag out the story.

And unlike most of you I’m mostly just bored by the empire scenes, and I care more about what is happening on Terminus.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

etalian posted:

In this episode we had one character set up an AA gun and another character get into an airplane. I think something's gonna happen there.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Oasx posted:

I really hope the pace starts picking up soon, it feels like the show is already treading water, trying to drag out the story.

Which again is insane because they have the fall of an empire to play with. Just crib stuff from Gibbon, that's what Asimov did! Have a nightmare billions-strong refugee crisis. Have Day scream at a delegation of barbarians until he has an aneurysm and dies!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valentinian_I posted:

Without waiting for the spring he decided to continue campaigning and moved from Savaria to Brigetio. Once he arrived on 17 November, he received a deputation from the Quadi. In return for supplying fresh recruits to the Roman army, the Quadi were to be allowed to leave in peace. However, before the envoys left they were granted an audience with Valentinian. The envoys insisted that the conflict was caused by the building of Roman forts in their lands; furthermore individual bands of Quadi were not necessarily bound to the rule of the chiefs who had made treaties with the Romans – and thus might attack the Romans at any time. The attitude of the envoys so enraged Valentinian that he suffered a stroke while angrily yelling at them, provoking his death[47] on November 17, 375. He was deified, as was the custom, becoming known in Latin: Divus Valentinianus Senior, lit. 'the Divine Valentinian the Elder'.[48]

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Oasx posted:

What do you want Lee to pick up?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Oasx posted:

And unlike most of you I’m mostly just bored by the empire scenes, and I care more about what is happening on Terminus.

I find the empire scenes quite boring too. I think the time skips have made me become unmoored from the story and I'm finding it hard to care about what's going on.
It's still pretty with loads of really nice performances and scenes but it feels like game of thrones did to me - an enormous but EXTREMELY empty world.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I laughed at the "Present Day" card that popped up last week because they've been skipping around so much that it meant absolutely nothing. It did eventually shake out but still.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

I laughed at the "Present Day" card that popped up last week because they've been skipping around so much that it meant absolutely nothing. It did eventually shake out but still.

Ha, I had the same thought.

"Present day? What the gently caress does that even mean here?"

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Proteus Jones posted:

Ha, I had the same thought.

"Present day? What the gently caress does that even mean here?"

I didn't get confused. The furthest point we've seen with the Foundation is the "Present Day"

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I take it "present day" is the at the very beginning of the show where the Terminus girl promise she would let the other kid touch her boobs fpr 5 seconds if he can get close to the black box. I only remember it because I watched ep1 twice. Yeah it means nothing to me.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

In this episode we had one character set up an AA gun and another character get into an airplane. I think something's gonna happen there.

The big gun was probably because the invaders were hoping to take down the fence the brute force way by shelling it with that artillery thing.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

PRESENT DAY

*cuts to a kid in Reseda making a TikTok video, Hari Seldon pops through a rift in space-time and says "there's no time Morty, psychohistory is real, take the Orb" and disappears*

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Data Graham posted:

I would applaud the first TV app maker who develops this as a feature.

"Rewind 15 seconds and turn on subtitles temporarily for that 15 seconds"

Call it the "wait what" button

This is from a million pages back, but this is something that Siri already does. I don’t know if it works on the iOS Apps, but if you have an Apple TV you can just ask the Siri remote “what did he/she say?” and Siri rewinds it back some 15 seconds and shows the subtitles briefly.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Siri was definitely the best acquisition Apple has ever made. It's always leaps and bounds ahead of anything else Apple, and other competing techs, does.

Now I'm thinking of making an autohotkey shortcut that does exactly this for my video player. I do it so loving often.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Data Graham posted:

PRESENT DAY

*cuts to a kid in Reseda making a TikTok video, Hari Seldon pops through a rift in space-time and says "there's no time Morty, psychohistory is real, take the Orb" and disappears*

A future episode will have a Tupac Shakur hologram giving a 1 hr lecture on psychohistory.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Boris Galerkin posted:

This is from a million pages back, but this is something that Siri already does. I don’t know if it works on the iOS Apps, but if you have an Apple TV you can just ask the Siri remote “what did he/she say?” and Siri rewinds it back some 15 seconds and shows the subtitles briefly.

Oh poo poo, this is a gamechanger.

2nd Rate Poster
Mar 25, 2004

i started a joke
As a non book reader, can I say that the non empire parts of this show are bad with bad acting.

Killing off the best actor on the show (Jared Harris) in the second episode seems kind of dumb. I know it serves the story, but he and Lee Pace are the best parts of this show.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I said this in the Apple TV thread, but I really want to like this show, it is just so terrible in everyway. The characters and their motivations are just so pointless. The world and the conflicts within it make no sense at all, and is just not something anyone can relate to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caros
May 14, 2008

I said come in! posted:

I said this in the Apple TV thread, but I really want to like this show, it is just so terrible in everyway. The characters and their motivations are just so pointless. The world and the conflicts within it make no sense at all, and is just not something anyone can relate to.

Yeah. I mean who could related to the slowly encroaching demise of a civilization that once seemed to be unassailable.