Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I was talking about the board the thumbstick is on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

LOL I was just about to post that this video's gonna get taken down soon for breaching some sort of NDA.

...then I saw that it's Valve's official YouTube channel. Holy poo poo, good on them.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

homeless snail posted:

I was talking about the board the thumbstick is on.

whoops my bad

Valve said to stay tuned on that though, maybe they'll partner with iFixit or someone to sell spares

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
They mention making replacement parts available in some way in the video

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
hell yeah, easy to replace the thumbsticks. that's huge considering the state of modern joystick drift.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Good on them for making the thumbsticks an easy job. I do wonder how much replacements will end up costing, though.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Valve, I am begging you.

Give us Steam Controller 2.

I'll be using my Steamdeck as a Steam Controller 2 since you can, but they really should release a new one. I loved the first iteration, it was excellent.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
They did patent a design so maybe

https://twitter.com/Tyler_McV/status/1248855274514984960?t=4YC5mvZc-W2I7RgZGSfObw&s=19

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

FBS posted:

Good on them for making the thumbsticks an easy job. I do wonder how much replacements will end up costing, though.

I don't think it will be much of an issue. I doubt it will be necessary to replace them more than once during the life of the console.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I am so drat excited.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Oh good, finally it can have a dpad like it was loving supposed to

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Yeah, the indented touch pad was absolutely loving horrible for serious use like 2D platformers and action games. I quite like the Deck's layout though, I'd be perfectly happy to keep that and just transplant it to a controller instead of swapping out parts (but keep that too, for replacing busted components).

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

JazzFlight posted:

LOL I was just about to post that this video's gonna get taken down soon for breaching some sort of NDA.

...then I saw that it's Valve's official YouTube channel. Holy poo poo, good on them.

That's the first time I've heard someone say that unscrewing a case damages the structural integrity of said case

Is it because of stuff like not torquing the screws to spec when reassembling?

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Fallom posted:

That's the first time I've heard someone say that unscrewing a case damages the structural integrity of said case

I assumed it was because the screws won't have as deep a bite since they'll just self tap themselves into the same threading that is there.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

This does not appear to have anything to do with the replaceable joystick design in the steam deck.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Fallom posted:

Self-tapping screws basically create their own threads the first time they are installed. They actually dig into the plastic and cut through it. I imagine they might loosen the screw hole each time they are removed and reinserted.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Yeah, the indented touch pad was absolutely loving horrible for serious use like 2D platformers and action games. I quite like the Deck's layout though, I'd be perfectly happy to keep that and just transplant it to a controller instead of swapping out parts (but keep that too, for replacing busted components).

Yeah, the Deck layout is a nice in-between point with 3 control sets on each side as opposed to the 2 of any other controller, Steam or otherwise. Looking forward to trying it.

The Deck's pads seem to have lost click-ability altogether, hope both will still be at least one button each even if not a full dpad each as in the Steam controller.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I'm curious why they wouldn't have kept the clicks less touch pads, that's kinda a shame. I mean, you basically don't need them anymore but I'm sure someone would find uses for them.

Ugh, I'm loving dying waiting for this thing. I need it. I haven't been this excited for a device in a really long time.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

I wonder if Valve will finally implement Steam CEG DRM in the Linux client.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

pseudorandom name posted:

I wonder if Valve will finally implement Steam CEG DRM in the Linux client.

hey! some of us aren't computer touchers. can you explain in english?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Barreft posted:

CEG is a form of copy protection specific to Steam. I wasn't aware that it wasn't implemented in Linux yet, and I'm unsure what the ramifications of that are.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Valve, I am begging you.

Give us Steam Controller 2.

I realize it's not really what you're asking for, but the Steam Deck basically is just that. It should be usable as a controller attached to another PC (if not out of the box, then with some software). The touchscreen itself might end up usable too, a-la the Wii U.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Barreft posted:

Steam has two forms of DRM that publishers can opt-in to, the simple version just adds a check at startup that you own the game and lightly obfuscates the game executable. The second form is Custom Executable Generation, every PC gets its own custom version of the game executable from the Steam servers that will only run on that PC.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

CEG is a form of copy protection specific to Steam. I wasn't aware that it wasn't implemented in Linux yet, and I'm unsure what the ramifications of that are.

Nothing that uses CEG works in Proton. Apparently they can work if you run the Windows Steam client in Wine, but the Linux Steam client just doesn't support CEG generation at all.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
What games even use CEG?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Hard to say, SteamDB doesn't let you search games that have the cegpublickey attribute.

I noticed for Space Marine and XCOM: The Bureau because I was looking through my library on ProtonDB, I'm sure there are others.

It turns out the dorks who rate games on that site give things a Silver rating if you have to download the crack because CEG isn't supported.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

goddamn this is way more complicated than i thought when i asked

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

pseudorandom name posted:

Hard to say, SteamDB doesn't let you search games that have the cegpublickey attribute.

I noticed for Space Marine and XCOM: The Bureau because I was looking through my library on ProtonDB, I'm sure there are others.
So old games? Did they stop using it?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

As far as I know publishers can still turn CEG on if they want. And they don't have any incentive go go back and turn it off because it is a free service provided by Steam, unlike e.g. Denuvo.

Lightbulb Grease
Aug 9, 2006

Oh, hi girls. Tom Cruise here.
Soiled Meat
The Github issue on CEG lists a lot of the games that might not work on the Steam Deck.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

The goal is to run every game, so CEG support is on the todo list. Just hasn’t risen to the top yet. I’m pretty sure CEG hasn’t been available to publishers for a long while, which is part of why it hasn’t been supported yet. Not a lot of demand for those older games relative to other priorities.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Thinking of that Switch conversation earlier...

https://twitter.com/Kotaku/status/1447166776043769864?s=20

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Boy Kotaku sure has the "outrage for clicks" thing figured out.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Insanite posted:

Thinking of that Switch conversation earlier...

https://twitter.com/Kotaku/status/1447166776043769864?s=20

Blessed.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

FBS posted:

Boy Kotaku sure has the "outrage for clicks" thing figured out.

I mean getting a recent release to run on an emulator is a feat and newsworthy.

Even if it’s you know just the switch

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://aclist.github.io/

Handy list of games that are or aren't blocked by anti-cheat support

EAC and BE are offering Proton support now but devs need to opt-in

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

will Destiny 2 work on this thing

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Quantum of Phallus posted:

will Destiny 2 work on this thing

It loving better

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Destiny 2 added BattlEye not so long ago, so depends if Bungie opts-in to BEs Proton support

Doesn't look like they've talked about any plans to enable it

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

if I can play Destiny 2 on this thing.... good god

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I'm excited for this thing for all sorts of reasons, but one of the biggest is that whenever travel goes back to some sense of normality, I'll be able to cut my travel kit down to a steam deck, an ipad+keyboard and a phone. I used to lug a powerful laptop everywhere and it was always a pain having to get it out every time I passed through security. It will be sweet to have this on flights and then dock it hotel tvs or whatever.