Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

MikeJF posted:

The Yamaguchi is Ambassador Class like the Enterprise-C, but they did a lot of modifications to the model as they were removing the battle damage and in its appearance as the Zukhov and the Yamaguchi it's subtly different to the Enterprise-C in a lot of ways (neck and nacelles moved, nacelles have different cowlings, different shuttlebay, different hull markings, etc.) Overly-detailed list of differences here. No idea if the AMT kit has the differences.

Hey thanks for that! Yeah I figure there's a bunch of lore changes, I'm just hoping the model makers were lazy enough to not bother with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
The fact that Star Trek takes place in one galaxy for the most part and you consider that a galaxy is but a small neighborhood on a universe scale and you have a panic attack about the scale of things again.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Lizard Combatant posted:

Hey thanks for that! Yeah I figure there's a bunch of lore changes, I'm just hoping the model makers were lazy enough to not bother with them.

Yeah, no idea. Just googling it looks like the deflector is Yamaguchi style with the center thingy, but the bussards are Enterprise-C, so maybe a mishmash.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Zurtilik posted:

The fact that Star Trek takes place in one galaxy for the most part and you consider that a galaxy is but a small neighborhood on a universe scale and you have a panic attack about the scale of things again.

This is why I always freak out at the TOS aliens from Andromeda. They came a long rear end fuckin way to make people into little potpourri holders and learn how to kiss

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

MikeJF posted:

Yeah, no idea. Just googling it looks like the deflector is Yamaguchi style with the center thingy, but the bussards are Enterprise-C, so maybe a mishmash.

I did a build of the non-lightable version of the AMT kit, it contained parts and decals to build both versions. The main accuracy problem with it is it has the later wide shuttle bay and there is nothing you can really do to fix it. Now, you can never see it well in Yesterday’s Enterprise so maybe it doesn’t matter that much.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

This chart also shows it would have been smarter and faster if Janeway had instead booked it for the Gamma Quadrant exit point of the Bajoran wormhole instead of making a beeline for Earth through the Delta and Beta Quadrants.

The question is though, could Voyager chump the Dominion as easily as they clumped the Borg?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

nine-gear crow posted:

I feel the same way about the extra three seconds revealing that Col. West is the assassin at the end of Undiscovered Country in that film's director's cut. I don't get why it was cut from the theatrical version especially when the film goes out of its way to show that Klingons have Pepto Bismal blood and then the "Klingon" assassin at the end of the film has normal red human blood and then they cut away from it without comment.

The only trade off is that stupid "HERE'S WHO ALL THE VILLAINS ARE, YOU DUMB MOUTHBREATHING GOOBS" slideshow as Spock is interrogating Valeris right before the climax. That addition to that scene is just straight up insulting.

The VHS cut had the Colonel West bits, but pre-dated the awful slideshow bit. I didn't realize the VHS copy my parents had was an "extended cut" or whatever until I got the DVD years ago.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

Khanstant posted:

Lore totally burning Data on his avoidance of contractions in speech, but he's got a point there, what's up with that? Was contractions code integrated with the emotion chip and had no time to put that but back in so data got the scissorhands treatment?

Data got tired of getting trolled by being asked to report to the fo'c'sle.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

nine-gear crow posted:

This chart also shows it would have been smarter and faster if Janeway had instead booked it for the Gamma Quadrant exit point of the Bajoran wormhole instead of making a beeline for Earth through the Delta and Beta Quadrants.

The question is though, could Voyager chump the Dominion as easily as they clumped the Borg?

From messing around in paint it looks like the line from Caretaker to Gamma Quadrant end of Bajoran Wormhole is about equivalent to the line from Caretaker to like just a bit past J25, so it might've saved them maybe 5 years at most and relies on the wormhole not being destabilised in the intervening 60 or so years. Can't really blame her for not rolling those dice.

Still, it is weird to think about how loving tiny the volume of space occupied by the Federation and co is. Like they talk about them as 'Alpha Quadrant powers' and like there could be all kinds of wack poo poo in the Perseus Arm or the Long Bar or the Outer Arm that completely dwarfs them. I mean, I'm sure their long range exploratory missions have gone out quite a ways past the actual political sphere they occupy, but I doubt any have gotten beyond the cartographic circle surrounding their spot on the map. Barring TOS weirdness with the galactic barrier or visiting God in the centre of the galaxy.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

nine-gear crow posted:

You could argue it doesn't make sense for them if they are going to chart and explore at the same time.
If they were to do minimal contact, just full warp straight back to Fed space, sure, wormhole is best.
But mapping, first contacts, etc is loving useless if its on the opposite side of the galaxy where the Federation won't get there for a millennia or more.

Also there are fewer stars along the wormhole route way, so lesser chances of meeting aliens that could help them.
Pulling this out of my rear end here, as usual do.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Oct 10, 2021

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Shyrka posted:

From messing around in paint it looks like the line from Caretaker to Gamma Quadrant end of Bajoran Wormhole is about equivalent to the line from Caretaker to like just a bit past J25, so it might've saved them maybe 5 years at most and relies on the wormhole not being destabilised in the intervening 60 or so years. Can't really blame her for not rolling those dice.

Still, it is weird to think about how loving tiny the volume of space occupied by the Federation and co is. Like they talk about them as 'Alpha Quadrant powers' and like there could be all kinds of wack poo poo in the Perseus Arm or the Long Bar or the Outer Arm that completely dwarfs them. I mean, I'm sure their long range exploratory missions have gone out quite a ways past the actual political sphere they occupy, but I doubt any have gotten beyond the cartographic circle surrounding their spot on the map. Barring TOS weirdness with the galactic barrier or visiting God in the centre of the galaxy.

This is what Q was talking about in Farpoint. "You think you're king poo poo and have it all figured out? The frontiers of even your enemies' empires aren't even passed your front doorstep. Hell, not even passed the threshold of the door itself, relatively speaking. You haven't seen poo poo yet."

And I wish that was something Trek took into consideration a bit more.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
Speaking of Q, does he only mess with humans? If he thinks humans are terrible, what of the Cardassians?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
There's an episode where a sentient cloud of gas he was messing with chases him down on the Enterprise!

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
Given how he talks to Worf, we can be pretty sure he doesn't like Klingons.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Marx Headroom posted:

This is why I always freak out at the TOS aliens from Andromeda. They came a long rear end fuckin way to make people into little potpourri holders and learn how to kiss

Think about the scale of the map above, and then say the Milky Way is about the size of a dinner plate. Andromeda would be about 25 feet or 8 meters away.

Shyrka posted:

The galactic barrier could easily have been not at the outer rim, but straight "up" or "down" where it'd only be several hundred or a thousand light-years from Earth. Still a really long way out there, but not out of line with everything that came later. Star Trek 5 notwithstanding.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Also TOS enterprise had a spore drive, and they just kept it hush-hush.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I bet discovery Ferengi will shoot oomox out their ears to blind opponents

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Shyrka posted:

Mmm. Although IIRC the 'arms' are largely formed by gas, stars are spread relatively uniformly.

And yeah, it makes more sense in many ways that the TOS Enterprise leaving the galaxy was done by going 'up' or 'down'. If for no other reason that why would nobody have left the galaxy that way before instead of driving 30 times as far to the rim.

It's been mentioned a few times that they've had probes that have powered their way quite a distance into the galaxy over the course of decades, but those would only be giving details on tiny lines along their path.

The white circle on the map is meant to represent 'known space', aka space that is kinda well mapped during TNG and they know all the powers and nations. The Enterprise-D basically spent TNG skimming around on that line.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Oct 10, 2021

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

MikeJF posted:

Mmm. Although IIRC the 'arms' are largely formed by gas, stars are spread relatively uniformly.

There probably are somewhat more stars in the arms because more are being born there, they arise from the gas.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Even if the writers don't always get it right, I love that they acknowledge that the universe is loving huge in details like that map.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Kurzon posted:

Speaking of Q, does he only mess with humans? If he thinks humans are terrible, what of the Cardassians?

Boxturret posted:

There's an episode where a sentient cloud of gas he was messing with chases him down on the Enterprise!

He shows up on Voyager a few talks talking about other species he's terrorized over the eons as well, and part of what gets Q Junior in trouble with the Collective is him following in his dad's footsteps in that regard. Guinan implies that he's the one who sicced the Borg on the El-Aurians too.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Eimi posted:

Even if the writers don't always get it right, I love that they acknowledge that the universe is loving huge in details like that map.

There was always a desire in world building to make sure that there was always something more 'just over the horizon', in keeping with the exploration/adventure premise, which is one reason they kept it small.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

I was re-watching What you leave behind part 2 on iTunes and the scene where Garak says goodbye to Bashir is missing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XGKkycX81A

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

That’s a pretty important scene to cut out!

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Is that potentially a casualty of the feature length vs 2 episode thing they sometimes did? I know some two parters have different versions depending on that.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

J33uk posted:

Is that potentially a casualty of the feature length vs 2 episode thing they sometimes did? I know some two parters have different versions depending on that.

It probably is, as iTunes has part 1 and 2 instead of it being one whole.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Have any of the newer Treks done anything with Cardassia? It seems like there should be a bunch of dispossessed Cardassians floating around the galaxy after the fall of all three of the Cardassian Union's branches of government and Cardassia Prime trying to rebuild. They can't do the whole cold war tension bit anymore, but there's a lot of ways that can go, maybe some Cardassians go off and become raiders or warlords over the ruins of their empire, maybe the Federation finally gets to influence Cardassia to be reborn more peaceful and recover some of their history from before the Central Command, maybe Cardassians remember the crisis that David Warner talked about and will try to rebuild as fascist as they were before out of fear.

That's a big part of what's interesting about Garak's final speech. He's sad that the entire society he grew up in and developed all his (lying and killing) skills to serve is gone, and most of it's probably not going to be rebuilt, but he also realizes academically that it's probably a good thing, because the Cardassian Union was loving awful.

Cardassian society was pretty interesting in how it was built up throughout TNG and DS9, I'd like to see it show up again. There was also a lot of people saying things about the nature of Cardassians that could easily be either true or propagandic hyperbole.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Have any of the newer Treks done anything with Cardassia? It seems like there should be a bunch of dispossessed Cardassians floating around the galaxy after the fall of all three of the Cardassian Union's branches of government and Cardassia Prime trying to rebuild. They can't do the whole cold war tension bit anymore, but there's a lot of ways that can go, maybe some Cardassians go off and become raiders or warlords over the ruins of their empire, maybe the Federation finally gets to influence Cardassia to be reborn more peaceful and recover some of their history from before the Central Command, maybe Cardassians remember the crisis that David Warner talked about and will try to rebuild as fascist as they were before out of fear.

That's a big part of what's interesting about Garak's final speech. He's sad that the entire society he grew up in and developed all his (lying and killing) skills to serve is gone, and most of it's probably not going to be rebuilt, but he also realizes academically that it's probably a good thing, because the Cardassian Union was loving awful.

Cardassian society was pretty interesting in how it was built up throughout TNG and DS9, I'd like to see it show up again. There was also a lot of people saying things about the nature of Cardassians that could easily be either true or propagandic hyperbole.

You should read "A Stitch in Time" if you haven't already.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Have any of the newer Treks done anything with Cardassia?

Kinda only in the background I think. There have been Cardassian extras wandering around on Discovery after the big time skip and I think there was a Cardassian with a speaking role in the latest Discovery trailer. At some point last season on Lower Decks the Cerritos was on its way to Cardassia for a conference but was redirected because "the Cardassians are creeping everyone out." Otherwise the most we've seen of them was in Mariner's holodeck program which doesn't really count.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The Cardassians are probably the most complex and best developed Trek aliens so it was vital we never do anything with them again.

Though I don't really want to see them get Disco-ed up.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

The Cardassians are probably the most complex and best developed Trek aliens so it was vital we never do anything with them again.

Though I don't really want to see them get Disco-ed up.

About that: the President of the Federation in Disco is a Cardassian/Bajoran/Human hybrid.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

About that: the President of the Federation in Disco is a Cardassian/Bajoran/Human hybrid.

that must have been one really awkward threesome

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Arivia posted:

A Federation sexual liaison who accidentally got too into it

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Arivia posted:

I imagine it was pretty simple. The cardassian pulled out and the human took over

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

multijoe posted:

I imagine it was pretty simple. The cardassian pulled out and the human took over

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

multijoe posted:

lmao

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
a cardassian and a bajoran had a child and then they grew up and had a child with a human

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

"Child of a Cardassian orphan who integrated into the Federation" would actually be a really cool idea for a character

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

StashAugustine posted:

"Child of a Cardassian orphan who integrated into the Federation" would actually be a really cool idea for a character

...about 800 years before Disco S3/4 is set. We have basically no idea what the hell has happened in the meantime. For all we know Cardassia Prime is an upper-middle-class bedroom community full of accountants and soccer dads and middle managers and they're mostly known for putting on extremely pleasant Christmas parties every year. (Try the yamok-spiced eggnog, it's simply divine.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

this feels like worf, but for a tng-ish series set after the dominion war in that "former enemies now friends" way.