Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Electric Phantasm posted:

I just assumed they were doing a Thundercats send up, cause they're 90's characters too, right?

80s. Did you not hear the song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It’s been said before but I hope they add a few more characters/segments this time around (Slappy would work great in a modern setting though you’d probably have to recast Skippy at this point since the original actor was a kid himself at the time and can’t do the voice anymore).

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

…I thought they were dogs?

They're the Warner Brothers (and Sister), let's just leave it at that.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

They're cute.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I’m pretty sure one of the people who worked on the show said in an interview a while back that their species is just “cartoon character”.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The Warners are clearly the talking-cartoon-animal equivalent of trickster spirits.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
they're royalty according to that one movie.

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013

Larryb posted:

It’s been said before but I hope they add a few more characters/segments this time around (Slappy would work great in a modern setting though you’d probably have to recast Skippy at this point since the original actor was a kid himself at the time and can’t do the voice anymore).

While having Slappy Squirrel back is my dream, unless they finally made nice with the og creators, it’s probably not gonna happen, at least not with Sherri Stoner. And I think there’s been a general feeling of “they’re not really interested in using any of the other segments for new cartoons” which, fine, but they surprisingly didn’t fill it up with much new stuff either

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

Trekcore are usually really good at getting the videos.

https://twitter.com/trekcore/status/1447257788418347016

Cross-quoting from the Modern Trek thread, but the new Star Trek animated show looks really drat good so far.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

So has anyone else seen that leaked production stuff for Faust's canceled witch cartoon?

https://mega.nz/folder/SyISAZZJ#-mqEUPeX3406YFOFpKMAmA

Looked like it would of been super cool.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

Cross-quoting from the Modern Trek thread, but the new Star Trek animated show looks really drat good so far.

So weird that Captain Janeaway is considered a draw for a contemporary pre-teen audience.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Open Source Idiom posted:

So weird that Captain Janeaway is considered a draw for a contemporary pre-teen audience.

Outside of TNG, Voyager was the most popular and profitable contemporary Trek show, especially on Netflix in recent years. Patrick Stewart and Scott Bakula are already otherwise engaged at the moment and CBS doesn't have the kind of money it would take to ever get Avery Brooks back as Sisko, so Janeway's the best choice if you want to bring in a legacy captain.

Also it's Kate Mulgrew doing more voiceover work, what's not to love about that?

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Oct 11, 2021

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

Outside of TNG, Voyager was the most popular and profitable contemporary Trek show, especially on Netflix in recent years. Patrick Stewart and Scott Bakula are already otherwise engaged at the moment and CBS doesn't have the kind of money it would take to ever get Avery Brooks back as Sisko, so Janeway's the best choice if you want to bring in a legacy captain.

Really? Huh, this is all new information to me. Like I'm not dissing VOY or whatever; I think it's the Trek I've seen the most of after DISCO.

But also, like, I don't see why there even needs to be a legacy captain tbh. What's the average seven year old -- that's the market they're aiming at, right -- going to get out of a Janeawy cameo? Conceptually it all seems a bit cynical.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Open Source Idiom posted:

Really? Huh, this is all new information to me. Like I'm not dissing VOY or whatever; I think it's the Trek I've seen the most of after DISCO.

But also, like, I don't see why there even needs to be a legacy captain tbh. What's the average seven year old -- that's the market they're aiming at, right -- going to get out of a Janeawy cameo? Conceptually it all seems a bit cynical.

Yeah, DS9 was the show that everybody loved (and loves to talk about), but Voyager was the show that everybody actually watched.

I don't think Janeway's there for the kids who are gonna be watching it, she's a draw for older fans to get them hooked into checking out the show and to ground it in something recognizably Trek-related.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Also I imagine the people making the show are more than aware of the Reputation that Janeway has in the fandom

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

The_Doctor posted:

…I thought they were dogs?
https://www.gawker.com/5641567/the-bosko-and-honey-revision-warner-brothers-attempt-to-hide-sexism-and-racism

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z57_2T_WIuA

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Whitenoise Poster posted:

So has anyone else seen that leaked production stuff for Faust's canceled witch cartoon?

https://mega.nz/folder/SyISAZZJ#-mqEUPeX3406YFOFpKMAmA

Looked like it would of been super cool.

It's nice that there's a lot of background detail, but I do kinda wonder if a bunch of multicolored people in a magical fantasy world is a little close to her last project.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MOTU Revelation concludes on November 23:

https://www.cbr.com/masters-of-universe-revelation-part-2-release-date/.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I just watched A Tale Dark and Grimm on Netflix. It's really good, although has one or two jokes that are a bit childish (although to be fair it is written for younger audiences) but it doesn't shy from gruesome concepts like Gretel severing her own finger to make a key

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I enjoyed The Ghost and Molly McGee more than I thought I would. I didn't think it was gonna be my thing, but the theme song was good enough to lure me in, and the show's pretty funny and has a lot more music in the episodes.

The setup is basically a kid version of Parks and Rec.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
It's like Disney made the animated series for a Beetlejuice reboot that never happened.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

What a coincidence, a new installment of a Merrie History of Looney Toons just came out, covering the 50's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKV13q_VTww

The whole series is worth a watch if you're a fan of cartoons, I think.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLcROlJp65glTO1Z7tugNPpxiKXqQbDbdQ

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
A new How to train your dragon cartoon's coming up in a couple months

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5wTEwTNbv0

After a short timeskip from the third movie, specifically 1,300 years later. I never cared too much for the shows (or the movies after the first one), but I'm interested in checking out the modern day stuff.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Pakled posted:

What a coincidence, a new installment of a Merrie History of Looney Toons just came out, covering the 50's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKV13q_VTww

The whole series is worth a watch if you're a fan of cartoons, I think.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLcROlJp65glTO1Z7tugNPpxiKXqQbDbdQ

I've been having fun with these videos! That video really covers the strengths and weaknesses of each director, including Jones.

Man, the next video should be, uh, interesting. The 1960s period of Looney Tunes, generally considered to be the worst decade of the run.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I watched some old episodes of Fairly Oddparents recently, and oddly, it holds up a lot less than I expected. It's a much more gag-centric show. Early Spongebob was built more around character dynamics that could have more depth and nuance, but Fairly Oddparents requires a lot of characters to be stupid to make its plots work, since they need to do a lot of contriving to make problems that couldn't be instantly solved with magic. And it made it work for a while by making that into part of the joke, and the whole thing is kind of sarcastically making fun of itself, but it couldn't really add any depth. That makes a bit of inherent limit to how long the show could last.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I never liked Fairly Odd Parents. It always felt like the distilled version of what every cartoon comedy eventually turns into where one character has to be "The Nag" and everyone else has to be "The Idiot" and it always ends up super mean to the nag for no reason. (FOP might have created the formula? Probably not.)

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

mycot posted:

(FOP might have created the formula? Probably not.)

They did not. That was a sitcom trope decades before FOP existed. It sucked then too.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
I would point to 1955's "The Honeymooners" as the classic example but then somebody will counter with like Lysistrata or something because some gags are older than grit.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Nameless Pete posted:

I would point to 1955's "The Honeymooners" as the classic example but then somebody will counter with like Lysistrata or something because some gags are older than grit.

That's basically the whole dynamic between Zeus and Hera and I bet countless other deity couplings.
It wouldn't surprise me if some Sumerian text was found detailing this idea.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

mycot posted:

I never liked Fairly Odd Parents. It always felt like the distilled version of what every cartoon comedy eventually turns into where one character has to be "The Nag" and everyone else has to be "The Idiot" and it always ends up super mean to the nag for no reason. (FOP might have created the formula? Probably not.)

It's not always like that, but it does happen a lot. It's sort of undercut by the fact that the show's usually very conscious about "the nag" being right, even before the twist where the characters are forced to change their ways.

Although weirdly towards the start of the show, there's sort of a dynamic where Timmy is "the nag" to his parents, because they're the ones putting him through poo poo. Later that turns more into them being innocently stupid instead.

Either way, it's a delicate balance.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

cant cook creole bream posted:

That's basically the whole dynamic between Zeus and Hera and I bet countless other deity couplings.

One day we're going to learn about Ea-nasir's wife who chased him with the Sumerian equivalent to a rolling pin.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Technically an anime but Ranking of Kings is a fantastic little show about a deaf boy trying to be king that has tons of charm and none of the obnoxious fanservice that’s made me hate the genre lately. Definitely worth checking out if you just want something wholesome and cute.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

readingatwork posted:

Technically an anime but Ranking of Kings is a fantastic little show about a deaf boy trying to be king that has tons of charm and none of the obnoxious fanservice that’s made me hate the genre lately. Definitely worth checking out if you just want something wholesome and cute.

It feels like a Ghibli movie, but as a series.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

mycot posted:

Feels like a theme in a particular kind of usually formulaic and cliched cartoon, but especially Butch Hartman ones. Though as said, those usually do make a point of 'The Nag' being right. (also reminded of the creepy groupthink theme in 80s cartoons pushed by parents groups that the complainer always had to be wrong and made to conform to the group consensus)

TUFF Puppy comes to mind as one where the female lead was the one subject to cartoon suffering on a Wile E Coyote level.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

cant cook creole bream posted:

"One of these days, Enkidu, bang zoom, to the moon!"

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010
“Gilgamesh, why didn’t you tell me the High Priest was coming over for dinner? I would have roasted a goat!”

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

*barges through door*

INANNA, YOU GOT SOME 'SPLAINING TO DO

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Funky Valentine posted:

*barges through door*

INANNA, YOU GOT SOME 'SPLAINING TO DO

This is especially funny for me as I'm reading through The 12th Planet again(the 2nd least likely literary thing anyone ever expected to be directly referenced in a Scooby-Doo show) and the book goes over a lot just how much Inanna/Ishtar loves dick and Gilgamesh at one point just absolutely roasts her by pointing out how much infidelity she has committed over the eons when she tries to seduce him

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

"Well, Enkidu, I made it, despite your directions."
"Ah, Gilgamesh, welcome! I hope you're prepared for a feast fit for the gods."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Tig N Seek may not be the greatest cartoon on television but god drat do some of it's jokes land hard. Tig briefly going full emo after learning he'd been conned nearly killed me.

"I'm going to go home and paint my room black and listen to synth music from a bunch of art school dropouts!"

Also drat that scene had some really good composition and color work right the hell out of nowhere.