Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Any recs on PLA or other filament printers for printing terrain? Was about to buy a set of terrain and realized for the same price I could just get a printer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Verisimilidude posted:

Any recs on PLA or other filament printers for printing terrain? Was about to buy a set of terrain and realized for the same price I could just get a printer.

The non-tabletop 3D printing thread had a big debate about "starter printers" for people new to 3D printing, and the general consensus seemed to be "if you want a printer that prints right out of the box with little fuss, save up for a Prusa; if you want something you can tinker with and modify to your heart's content, get an Ender series printer". Of course, that's very much a YMMV situation, and newer printers are coming out that also just print fairly quickly out of the box, with little fussing around needed, but the Prusa and Ender series of printers are generally the most widely supported at the moment in terms of having active communities, etc for support and troubleshooting questions.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

The biggest takeaway for me on FDM recommendation chat, is that's prusas are great, but that's a hell of a thing to tell someone to buy if they're just getting into 3d printing.

Prusas are expensive but worth the money, an ender 3 is cheap and worth the money and very good value for your dollar.

I have an ender 3 and it's great, but I'm picking up a prusa as a business investment

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

I have both a Prusa Mini and an Ender 3 Pro. The Prusa Mini is better, but not perfect. I've had to do maintenance on both, although my Ender 3 definitely has had a lot more.

I've also heard a lot of good things about the FLSUN Q5, which just came out. It's a delta printer with auto bed leveling, silent motors, and apparently prints very fast. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xa2WcILEua8

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

I don't own a Prusa anything so I can't speak to their quality, a lot of people tout them as the "no fuss, no muss, just set up and go" printer.

Right now I have two Ender 5s (and an Ender 3 Pro that's currently dismantled), one of which prints perfectly every time I turn it on, and the other one is a 50/50 shot that I need to do some more troubleshooting with. Sometimes it'll print fine, other times I want to throw the thing into the nearest lake.

That's probably why I like resin printing so much. With one or two exceptions I can just set up the print and go without having to babysit it throughout the first few layers, and if something fails it's usually just because I didn't add enough supports. Whereas with FDM there's always that "what if it fails :ohdear:" feeling, because the bed is heated too high/not heated enough, the bed wasn't perfectly 100% clean and free of oils and debris, the Z offset isn't set just right, etc. etc. Like recently, I did my longest FDM print ever, a dice tower that took roughly 41 hours between two parts, and the longest part took about 31 hours to do. I was literally dreading the moment I'd walk in and see that piece flopping about the printer while the nozzle merrily continued to poo poo spaghetti filament out regardless. Thankfully, though, that didn't happen. :v:

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
The thing with the Ender 3 is that you really NEED to spend another $100 on upgrades to make it reliable. Once you've added auto-leveling, a glass/PEI bed, springs and a metal extruder it should be pretty rock solid.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

I printed and painted a dumpster

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
Cute dumpster, where'd you get the STL?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

BlackIronHeart posted:

Cute dumpster, where'd you get the STL?

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4819657

I just printed it without supports which is why it looks a bit janky, and since it's resin I couldn't print the rail, but that's easily replaced with a thin metal rod if you want it to open and close. I had to scale it down to 60% to fit Infinity, and even then it's probably a smidge too big. I'd probably drop it down to 50-55%.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
Cheers, thanks! That's great to know since Infinity is my main game these days.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Electric Hobo posted:

Well, I made something!

It's curved and sized so it should fit on a normal shoulder pad, but I haven't tried. Both pieces are one file, but that's not a problem when you support it.
Now to do it with all the chaos chapters, and make the big bucks selling stls!

I just realized that I have no idea where to host files anymore, so pm me an email address, and I'll send you the file.

Ohhhhh now this is sexy. PM sent and thank you very very much, I love it.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Anyone have recommendations for 3D printable necromunda models? Looking to print up an Escher gang but I知 not inspired by what I知 finding.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Verisimilidude posted:

Anyone have recommendations for 3D printable necromunda models? Looking to print up an Escher gang but I知 not inspired by what I知 finding.

edit: I was tired when I wrote this, I meant Dork Factory. good dark alien tech stuff.

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Sep 27, 2021

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Verisimilidude posted:

Ghamak has some specific Escher models. Other stuff on their store could also be used as Escher.

https://www.myminifactory.com/object/3d-print-gang-escher-107288

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Verisimilidude posted:

I printed and painted a dumpster

Where'd you find a 3D model of me

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Where'd you find a 3D model of me

But... it's not on fire?

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Finally cracked open the fast grey and goddamn it is both fast and pleasant to work with. 1.5s exposure with zero failed prints most of the way into a bottle, and it has less odor than eco resins imo.

Friendship terminated with Anycubic, now SirayaTech is my new best friend.

e. oh gently caress I just noticed the build plate screws were loose so the metal head could swivel. I'm sure I tightened them during my last z-level but guess they worked themselves loose after being on for most of the past 48 hours. All hail saraiya.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Oct 8, 2021

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
I tried out zMUD for the first time and did a few exposure tests on my Mono X using this method: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XAtW2NHdW4

2.25s seemed to be the sweet spot so I did a run at a 3DBenchy and it's silky smooth except for a few small ripples on the hull. I think I'll relevel the bed just to be sure but the Mono has been way, way easier than my original Photon, I'm really satisfied.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Does anyone know if there is a way to follow a creator on MMF's Tribes like you can on patreon and get automatic updates via email/whatever? A bunch of creators I follow switched over and now I have no idea what they're releasing.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I made myself some D6 with orders for Kill Team. 4 sides are for the actual orders, and the last 2 are for the injured, and "carrying an objective" statuses.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
how do you print your dice to make sure they're square and even?
I have't tried but it my prints on supports always have a bit of a lumpy side and my prints directly on the plate always have a bit of a lip and squish on the bottom. Either way that seems bad for a die.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Bucnasti posted:

how do you print your dice to make sure they're square and even?
I have't tried but it my prints on supports always have a bit of a lumpy side and my prints directly on the plate always have a bit of a lip and squish on the bottom. Either way that seems bad for a die.
These aren't for rolling, but are just multisided tokens, so it's less of a problem.

I don't have any lumpiness or weird warping after I started thinking about my supports, and adjusting my lift speed.
I also support all my dice to avoid anything getting mashed.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Had my first big clog today

I got it clean enough to try another print, it's not as clean as I would like but I think it will keep printing

Both times when I've tried to do very large prints that cover most of the build plate, this has happened.

Better shot of the gum disaster

Chainclaw fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Oct 12, 2021

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Any of you Etsy shop guys have experience with resolving trademark infringement cases? I had a ton of stuff delisted from my shop because I didnt realize listing titles had "Warhammer" in them.

Thought I removed it from the title, but aparently case sensitivity stopped the change from going through.

E: I heard back from them. Don't put "warhammer" in your titles. Early September GW hired a bunch of interns to trawl around for their IP so I expect a ton of people to get hammered in the next couple months.

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Oct 12, 2021

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Anyone have any good recommendations for Patreons or other sources of 40k-appropriate 6mm stuff? Kind of interested in trying to proxy up an Epic army, but I haven't found been too successful at finding anything particularly good.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
are there any strong opinions on anti-alising? I'm unsure if i should turn it on or not

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

What are you all using for resin to print minis? I just used up the bottle of Elegoo ABS-like I had and I was wondering if there's something else I should be looking at. This is for my elderly Anycubic Photon if it makes any difference.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
I find Anycubic's resins to be really, really reliable. Their generic cheap stuff produces detail that I'm happy with and I've literally never had a failed print with it, which is more than I can say with every other resin that I've tried. It doesn't really excel at anything, but it's available for ~$30/kg pretty often and it produces good, reliable results.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
Yeah, I was using Anycubic's resins in my original Photon and didn't really see a reason to switch.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Solus posted:

are there any strong opinions on anti-alising? I'm unsure if i should turn it on or not

When I turn it on I just get fails, but that was before Lychee had the 'don't use AA on supports' setting. I honestly couldn't tell the difference on the stuff that did print, so not I just leave it off so it's one less thing to troubleshoot.

Funzo posted:

What are you all using for resin to print minis? I just used up the bottle of Elegoo ABS-like I had and I was wondering if there's something else I should be looking at. This is for my elderly Anycubic Photon if it makes any difference.

I've tried many, but finally settled on Phrozen Aqua Gary 4k. It's not the cheapest, but I feel like it's a great combination of good color that shows detail, prints easily, and juuuust flexible enough that small bits don't break or shatter if you look at them wrong.

E; should be "Phrozen Aqua Gray", but 'Aqua Gary' sounds like Prince Namor's redneck neighbor, so I'm leaving it. :colbert:

Doctor Zero fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Oct 13, 2021

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Solus posted:

Minis are all about the details and AA is all about smoothing those details out. In other words I never have it on for miniatures.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

InternetJunky posted:

Minis are all about the details and AA is all about smoothing those details out. In other words I never have it on for miniatures.

I've been using it but you make a good point here, I'll try turning it off when I do my next print and let y'all know what I see.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
lmao @ having a mars 2 for like 2 days and my flatmate already dumpstered the screen trying to use it unsupervised after i showed him how to use it. Hope he has some spare money for a new one

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Sever.

A hand.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
I managed to print this dude before it got scratched at least :shobon:
I'm picking up a new screen tomorrow so its an easy fix. its not like the whole thing is broken.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

What did your roommate do to it?

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
spilled some resin on the screen and then scratched the piss out of it trying to get it off after it had set. I should have waited to get a screen protector before setting everything up but no use crying over spilled resin. What we have learned is a valuable lesson and we are out of a small amount of money. :shobon:

Solus fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Oct 14, 2021

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
https://www.myminifactory.com/users/Dark%20Gods

Also this poo poo completely fucks. All of it looks great and I don't even collect demons

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

My wife was out of town for a bit so I used the opportunity to print all day urry day.

For her, a 3D printed/painted Catan set. For myself, a shitload of late war US armor for Battlefront's Battle of the Bulge rules.

This is fine :shepspends:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

OnePageRules released a pretty sweet Automata Pumpkin yesterday, my wife wants it to add to the Halloween town display. Guess I'll be playing with resin tomorrow/this weekend.