Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I remember Daniels in Enterprise from the 29th was mostly human but just had little bits of alien mixed into his family tree here and there along the way and they implied that pretty much everyone was like that. They should bring that back, have Vance be like "Oh, yeah, I'm human... I mean there's a Vulcan great-great-great grandfather and genetics say there was an Andorran and maybe a Coridanian a dozen or so generations ago?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MikeJF posted:

I remember Daniels in Enterprise from the 29th was mostly human but just had little bits of alien mixed into his family tree here and there along the way and they implied that pretty much everyone was like that. They should bring that back, have Vance be like "Oh, yeah, I'm human... I mean there's a Vulcan great-great-great grandfather and genetics say there was an Andorran and maybe a Coridanian a dozen or so generations ago?"

Also I'd imagine that with the Burn cutting off a lot of planets from one another for an appreciable length of time, a bunch of people of all sorts of species would be trapped on whatever world they were on at the time the squid kid had his meltdown and all the dilithium went POP, so folks probably made due and started loving whoever'd say yes to them eventually, no matter what species they were. I can see that resulting in a LOT of hybridization.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

nine-gear crow posted:

Also I'd imagine that with the Burn cutting off a lot of planets from one another for an appreciable length of time, a bunch of people of all sorts of species would be trapped on whatever world they were on at the time.

The poor Vulcan courier stuck on planet with only klingons.

It was only meant to be a quick delivery job :(

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Shatner is gonna get bombarded with anomalous solar radiation and come back with superpowers, isn’t he?

https://twitter.com/WilliamShatner/status/1447367260473987074

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
He's not really even leaving the atmosphere unless something goes amazingly wrong.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

nine-gear crow posted:

Also I'd imagine that with the Burn cutting off a lot of planets from one another for an appreciable length of time, a bunch of people of all sorts of species would be trapped on whatever world they were on at the time the squid kid had his meltdown and all the dilithium went POP, so folks probably made due and started loving whoever'd say yes to them eventually, no matter what species they were. I can see that resulting in a LOT of hybridization.

Um excuse me his name is squid goku :ssj:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Gonz posted:

Shatner is gonna get bombarded with anomalous solar radiation and come back with superpowers, isn’t he?

Other members of TOS have aged... weird.

Edit: also not a fan of the new uniforms.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The next trek should have a Klingon crewmember who's a california surfer bro and is all like 'chill brahhhhhhh all good'.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
"Woah like major honor bro on that bank. You riding this nebula like it likes it!"

I ran out of surfing terms

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MikeJF posted:

The next trek should have a Klingon crewmember who's a california surfer bro and is all like 'chill brahhhhhhh all good'.

“Why’d you join Starfleet?”
“There is a legend the crew of the Enterprise once surfed the biggest wave ever at Yorktown Station. I intend to beat their record.”

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Kurzon posted:

Speaking of Q, does he only mess with humans? If he thinks humans are terrible, what of the Cardassians?

I think Q would appreciate how much of a galactic cock up the Cardassians are. "Yeah, they're just too much. Nothing I could do to them would make a difference."

Lemniscate Blue posted:

You should read "A Stitch in Time" if you haven't already.

I've only read a few Trek books but A Stitch In Time is so far above what's usually pumped out by Trek authors. Andrew Robinson is far too good for Star Trek.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Oh brah it's just like... Dude you get the best barrels ever dude, just like you pull in, and you just get spit right out of 'em, and you just drop in and just... Qu'plah!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Axe-man posted:

"Woah like major honor bro on that bank. You riding this nebula like it likes it!"

I ran out of surfing terms

Nah honor was what my dad was all about, like, honor honor honor kid you gotta practice your stabbing so you can get a high honor job and kill your way up the top I was just like stuff it up your second butthole old man I just wanna surf the cosmic waves yo.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
g'Narli

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

That is totally bo'gh-uS

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I do like to think that the GLORY AND HONOR stuff does percolate into every aspect of Klingon society, but we only see it as presented by the politico-military elites.

But there's totally guys like "I am seeking the honor of building this bridge over the Kahless River. Join my engineering team and share in this glory."

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Sash! posted:

I do like to think that the GLORY AND HONOR stuff does percolate into every aspect of Klingon society, but we only see it as presented by the politico-military elites.

But there's totally guys like "I am seeking the honor of building this bridge over the Kahless River. Join my engineering team and share in this glory."

I think DS9 had a Klingon Lawyer who thought like that.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Hunter Noventa posted:

Enterprise, IIRC. He's pissed off that the military is in the process of taking over because back when he was a kid, Klingons respected teachers, lawyers, doctors, but now its all "glorious death in battle" propaganda and fascism.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Gonz posted:

slingshot around the sun and suddenly he's in his 30s again and ready to take over from Chris Pine.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

GLORY TO YOU AND YOUR TORT

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

A.o.D. posted:

He's not really even leaving the atmosphere unless something goes amazingly wrong.

Yeah Bezo's extremely sub-orbital "space" flights are even more bullshit than the original first Mercury launches.

I wouldn't put it past him to just put Shatner on a vomit comet flight and just say he's on a rocket.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Epicurius posted:

Enterprise, IIRC. He's pissed off that the military is in the process of taking over because back when he was a kid, Klingons respected teachers, lawyers, doctors, but now its all "glorious death in battle" propaganda and fascism.

I love how his lamenting of this can be punctuated 200 years later by Ezri’s “the Klingon Empire is dying and it deserves to die” speech.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Brawnfire posted:

That is totally bo'gh-uS

and thus, the leg was born

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.

Hunter Noventa posted:

Great episode. "Isn't. It. Possible?!"

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Since today is Indigenous People's Day in the US, should I watch Journey's End or Paradise Syndrome?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

PeterCat posted:

Since today is Indigenous People's Day in the US, should I watch Journey's End or Paradise Syndrome?
Those are both terrible but in very different ways

Watch literally anything else

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

PeterCat posted:

Naw, "Tattoo".

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

I don't think Star Trek has ever done a good episode with those themes. At least Journey's End had Tom Jackson for some reason, which sorta blew my mind as a kid growing up with Canadian television at the time.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Watch the whitest episode of Star Trek ever: 11:59

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug

Delsaber posted:

I don't think Star Trek has ever done a good episode with those themes. At least Journey's End had Tom Jackson for some reason, which sorta blew my mind as a kid growing up with Canadian television at the time.
Best of Both Worlds

Similar theme, but being told from the perspective of the people being invaded.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

END CHEMTRAILS NOW posted:

Best of Both Worlds

Similar theme, but being told from the perspective of the people being invaded.

Solid loving choice tbh, but don't show them the part where the Enterprise crew pulls off a miraculous save at the last second. Life alas ain't like that.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

Kesper North posted:

Life alas ain't like that.

Sorry, kid!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

lmao. This was a good episode.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

He had an extremely good death face.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Those are both terrible but in very different ways

Watch literally anything else

I ended up watching Q Who again.

Still holds up, but man that was an episode to watch when it premiered.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The level of implied menace through indifference that Q has is just perfect.

Multiple people died, for real, permanently (even though Q could have brought them back), just so Q could make a point.

It really drives home that Q has an intellectual curiosity with Picard, but could easily allowed him to be snuffed out if he stops being a source of interest.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

q is just that kid from the twlight zone who turns people into objects, all grown up.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

I said come in! posted:

lmao. This was a good episode.

yeah it was. chief burke and Pass The Salt guy are up there with AR-558 in my top "war is hell" trek moments

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

bull3964 posted:

The level of implied menace through indifference that Q has is just perfect.

For me it was more that he was calm and deadly serious the whole time. Every other Q encounter involved at least some loving around, but there's not a shred of lightness in his performance in that episode. It's great.