Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
So bookstore Alba guy is definitely that guy in formation with Shin in the OP right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Mordja posted:

Aaaahhhh...a CSPAM poster, it all makes sense now.

I feel like "yeah, it's bad that this character used a Nazi slogan" isn't a controversial statement.

Do you really think any of my posts in this thread have been rude enough to warrant this?

Reik fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Oct 11, 2021

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Reik posted:

While I agree 86 has been a pretty anti-fascist show so far, a likeable genocide committer saying actual Nazi slogans and has super powers because of her royal blood is definitely not part of their anti-fascist narrative.

I don’t think there is any way you can say Frederica committed genocide. As she said the Legion was ordered to invade the rest of the continent 10 years ago. She is 10 years old so she would have been an infant at the time.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Speaking of that. The Giad royal family must have been in a pretty dire state if an Infant was the best choice for Empress.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

They may explain this in an upcoming episode but the rest of the Giadan royal family got Romanov'd in the revolution. Frederica's the only one who survived.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

I don’t think there is any way you can say Frederica committed genocide. As she said the Legion was ordered to invade the rest of the continent 10 years ago. She is 10 years old so she would have been an infant at the time.

I mean, she seems pretty willing to claim responsibility for it, and the revolution that overthrew her royal family is the only reason they stopped.

I think the show 86 is still very good, I just think she's a bad addition to it.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Okay, this 10 year old is literal Hitler. Sorry for spoiling the LN everyone.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Of all the out-of-place super powered princesses in all of Japanese sicfi military anime, I think this one isn't particularly bad

It's kind of a tired old trick, but the way her high minded aristocratic act is undermined/contrasted with the fact that she's a doofy little gremlin helps a lot

Having the last surviving proxy of a genocidal imperialist regime be a dumb child trying to wrangle a legacy forged before she was born is p. good too. It'd be better if we were shown some bloodthirsty old revolutionaries who would still kill her if given a second chance, though.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Nitrousoxide posted:

Okay, this 10 year old is literal Hitler. Sorry for spoiling the LN everyone.

I'm sure she's one of the good people that uses the term "blood and soil" when telling someone how to live their life.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

OnimaruXLR posted:

Of all the out-of-place super powered princesses in all of Japanese sicfi military anime, I think this one isn't particularly bad

It's kind of a tired old trick, but the way her high minded aristocratic act is undermined/contrasted with the fact that she's a doofy little gremlin helps a lot

Having the last surviving proxy of a genocidal imperialist regime be a dumb child trying to wrangle a legacy forged before she was born is p. good too. It'd be better if we were shown some bloodthirsty old revolutionaries who would still kill her if given a second chance, though.

Omnicidal. :eng101:

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

The line from the LN translation, for reference

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Seems like it was just a dumb word choice for the translation then.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Reik posted:

I mean, she seems pretty willing to claim responsibility for it, and the revolution that overthrew her royal family is the only reason they stopped.
Shin pointed out she was too young to claim responsibility for the Legion, and the revolution did not stop the Legion.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

Shin pointed out she was too young to claim responsibility for the Legion, and the revolution did not stop the Legion.

I meant that it stopped the royal family from participating in it. I don't think we know why the Legion went haywire, do we?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Reik posted:

I meant that it stopped the royal family from participating in it. I don't think we know why the Legion went haywire, do we?

From how it appears. Giad Empire creates the Legion tells them to conquer the continent for the Empire and defeat it's enemies. Revolution happens and Empire is overthrown and replaced with a Federal Republic. The Legion having no masters now just continues on it's ordered path to conquer the continent, but evolves enough to figure out a way around it's built in shut down sequence.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

MonsterEnvy posted:

From how it appears. Giad Empire creates the Legion tells them to conquer the continent for the Empire and defeat it's enemies. Revolution happens and Empire is overthrown and replaced with a Federal Republic. The Legion having no masters now just continues on it's ordered path to conquer the continent, but evolves enough to figure out a way around it's built in shut down sequence.

Watch them realize the solution to everyone’s problems is just getting Frederica to walk up to the Legion and say “I’m the empress please turn off.” We’ve all been overthinking this killer robot problem.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

My understanding of the legion is it's less that they have a built in shut down sequence and more that they're all going to run out of gas

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

That doesn't really make sense though because then why would the ones with human brains not shut down, at best the better efficiency would just push the time table down right? But it's not an intentional kill switch so much as a flaw in the design

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ninjewtsu posted:

That doesn't really make sense though because then why would the ones with human brains not shut down, at best the better efficiency would just push the time table down right? But it's not an intentional kill switch so much as a flaw in the design

From how it sounded, the primary Legion AI is based on a human brain scan that was purposefully degrading and after a certain point it would hit a point where it was useless and the Legion would not longer be able to function. However the Legion figured out that it could just replace the Brain Scan with new ones. This would both increase it's intelligence, and increase the time it could function. The Legion seem to operate based on the commands of the most intelligent type of Legion nearby. Which is why destroying a Shepard can temporarily cause disarray in the units.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Tarezax posted:

The line from the LN translation, for reference

Thank you for this, it does seem like maybe the localizer had just heard the phrase recently because of all the Nazis running around today and wasn't aware of it's explicitly Nazi connotation.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Yeah I suspect that's exactly it. Like many fascist things it unfortunately sounds cool when removed from any context.

Anyways season is starting strong so far. Agree with the others re: the sense of unreality in Giad. I'm really curious what exactly Lena was doing with the scientist lady that she was in such a rush to get to in the first episode. Looking forward to see what develops there. Also is it just me or are they making a big point of making the republic look even more physically decayed than before? If so, I appreciate that this show is not buying into the big lie that fascist societies are inherently more efficient: "Mussolini made the trains run on time" and all that.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Talorat posted:

Yeah I suspect that's exactly it. Like many fascist things it unfortunately sounds cool when removed from any context.

Anyways season is starting strong so far. Agree with the others re: the sense of unreality in Giad. I'm really curious what exactly Lena was doing with the scientist lady that she was in such a rush to get to in the first episode. Looking forward to see what develops there. Also is it just me or are they making a big point of making the republic look even more physically decayed than before? If so, I appreciate that this show is not buying into the big lie that fascist societies are inherently more efficient: "Mussolini made the trains run on time" and all that.

I think in particular Lena is researching how to further push the communication tech so she can be more aware of the tactical and strategic situations she's overseeing; or maybe extend the range so she can attempt to contact Shin's group in the hope they're still alive?

As for seemingly more decayed, I remember from Speer's autobiography he and Hitler had aimed for a deliberately "decayed" look to their neoclassical architecture in order to make their "civilization" look older than it is; I wonder if that's part of it.

Could be an extension of how the military is just extremely complacent because the war will win itself soon enough but that mindset maybe extended to the rest of society? Maybe they were so used to the 86 being their labour force?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Talorat posted:

I feel like I should point out that the Republic is not actually fascist. It lacks far too many of Fascism's traits to be considered as such. The Republic is however extremely racist and genocidal and is just as bad as a fascist state.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
San Magnolia is a tiny country that's been operating an isolated war economy for a couple years; from the very beginning the audience is informed that they're rationing critical resources through mention of diary substitutes for foodstuffs or visually by the relative absence of motor vehicles. It's worth remembering that their defensive posture isn't just complacency in eventual victory through attrition, but a consequence of their army getting the poo poo kicked out of them by Legion during the initial stages of the war.

OTOH while we don't have a full picture of Giad (though the damaged buildings strewn here and there are a neat touch), they're nevertheless the successor state of the advanced nation that created the Legion in the first place, so it stands to reason they're in a more robust position economically and technologically - if their urban and industrial centers had been overrun then they'd have long since perished, so the revolutionary forces somehow managed to prevent that much at the very least, despite being near ground zero for Legion's expansion.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Conspiratiorist posted:

San Magnolia is a tiny country that's been operating an isolated war economy for a couple years; from the very beginning the audience is informed that they're rationing critical resources through mention of diary substitutes for foodstuffs or visually by the relative absence of motor vehicles. It's worth remembering that their defensive posture isn't just complacency in eventual victory through attrition, but a consequence of their army getting the poo poo kicked out of them by Legion during the initial stages of the war.

OTOH while we don't have a full picture of Giad (though the damaged buildings strewn here and there are a neat touch), they're nevertheless the successor state of the advanced nation that created the Legion in the first place, so it stands to reason they're in a more robust position economically and technologically - if their urban and industrial centers had been overrun then they'd have long since perished, so the revolutionary forces somehow managed to prevent that much at the very least, despite being near ground zero for Legion's expansion.

I wonder if perhaps that's because most of the Legion was probably in San Magnolia's territory when the revolution happened so Giad had a bit more breathing room to gather forces and create a front line?

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Raenir Salazar posted:

breathing room

Do you want another derail?!

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

galagazombie posted:

Watch them realize the solution to everyone’s problems is just getting Frederica to walk up to the Legion and say “I’m the empress please turn off.” We’ve all been overthinking this killer robot problem.

Extreme novel spoilers from the latest book: Well, she has to go say it to the central control unit at the center of the swarm, but this is legitimately the solution presented as of the most recent novel.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Oct 12, 2021

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Something I wish the show hadn't skipped so far are the Legion POV sections. Those are kind of neat in establishing their way of thinking.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Nitrousoxide posted:

Something I wish the show hadn't skipped so far are the Legion POV sections. Those are kind of neat in establishing their way of thinking.

We got a few things like that.

kalam
Oct 30, 2010

K Prime posted:

Extreme novel spoilers: Well, she has to go say it to the central control unit at the center of the swarm, but this is legitimately the solution presented as of the most recent novel.

Latest book spoilers, don't read if you're partway through like me. Also never understood why people feel compelled to book spoil in these threads.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Yeah the only spoilers that should be allowed are for content that was cut that might provide context, stuff that hasn't happened yet and especially content that's several books away should not be in the thread for anime watchers.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Personally, I am ok with a single one sentence post that is marked "extreme novel spoilers" that presumably just directly answers a mystery raised and leaves everyone free to decide on if they should spoil themselves or not.

Spoilers are really obnoxious if they're unmarked or if they become part of the discussion but as a "hey if you're curious here's a quick answer" I dont see the problem

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's an incredibly obvious place for the story to go, anyway.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Yeah the spoilers are fine, but they should probably be marked as "most recent novel spoilers" and we don't need a lengthy discussion about it'll either.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Do we have a separate thread for the novels?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Not currently. I had asked if people were interested back in cour 1 and there didn’t seem like much interest, but if at least a couple would like one now I’d be happy to make one.

Moofia Boss Val
May 14, 2021

86 - season 2 episode 2

The new opening song is bad. Sounds like one of the dozen forgettable MHA opening songs. This shot was pretty cool, though.

I also don't like how the OP implies that the robo dog gets resurrected. We already have a lack of stakes due how they burned through all of the fodders too quickly and then walked back the robo dog's and Shin's deaths.

That other guy Shin met in the library having a little sister is so cliche. Can't it be a little brother for once?

Episode was surprisingly above average up until the 10 year old girl started monologuing like an adult and lecturing the the president. Cringe.

Lol Raiden tells the girl that he blames the Republic and hates their guts, which directly contradicts that episode from season 1 when Leina asked why the 86s would still fight for the Republic and they said they had no beef.

Would be interesting if the Republic and the Federacy got into a war, with Republican 86s facing off against the Spearhead legends and Federacy soldiers.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Moofia Boss Val posted:

Lol Raiden tells the girl that he blames the Republic and hates their guts, which directly contradicts that episode from season 1 when Leina asked why the 86s would still fight for the Republic and they said they had no beef.

well in between he learned violent revolution was an option and that can make someone reevaluate some stuff

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well, hating the republic was pointless when they were war slaves. there was no escape, and even choosing death just meant that they'd drag down their comrades. so, there might have been some mental gymnastics going on to justify it to themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Moofia Boss Val posted:

86 - season 2 episode 2

The new opening song is bad. Sounds like one of the dozen forgettable MHA opening songs. This shot was pretty cool, though.

I also don't like how the OP implies that the robo dog gets resurrected. We already have a lack of stakes due how they burned through all of the fodders too quickly and then walked back the robo dog's and Shin's deaths.

That other guy Shin met in the library having a little sister is so cliche. Can't it be a little brother for once?

Episode was surprisingly above average up until the 10 year old girl started monologuing like an adult and lecturing the the president. Cringe.

Would be interesting if the Republic and the Federacy got into a war, with Republican 86s facing off against the Spearhead legends and Federacy soldiers.

Spearhead just spent weeks seeing exactly how insane and unnecessary their treatment by San Magnolia was, simply by living in a country that doesn't do any of that stuff and seems to be doing rather better against the Legion. That seems like a reason to shift from acceptance to rage.