Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

leper khan posted:

I'm not sure if rerolls or spell cost is harder

Spell cost, definitely. Rerolls just means you need to play a bit more conservatively, but spell are frequently the difference between a hero dying or living which can spiral very easily. Plus you use so many spells over the course of the game that it requires a lot of extra mana, and means you can't reliably cast spells during turn 1/2, which are definitely the most important turns since you want to kill as many enemies as possible before their damage starts adding up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
Spell cost is definitely more crippling than it seems, unless you're running a no red/blue custom party

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
I finally beat slice and dice on easy. Its taken way too long, I'm really bad. Ended up using cantrips to deal 10-20 damage in the first turn thanks to that one blue class giving a reroll on roll. After that i had enough mana to cast invest, then spinning off mopping up with cruel weapons and the burst+ 3 damage for 2 mana.

I'm so happy. I did it.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

I finally beat slice and dice on easy. Its taken way too long, I'm really bad. Ended up using cantrips to deal 10-20 damage in the first turn thanks to that one blue class giving a reroll on roll. After that i had enough mana to cast invest, then spinning off mopping up with cruel weapons and the burst+ 3 damage for 2 mana.

I'm so happy. I did it.

Nice! Yea starting out you get a feel for it. Soon you can cruise through easy.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

VelociBacon posted:

Isn't the steam controller basically made to pay games that don't have controller functionality? I dunno how much they are but maybe check that out.

The Steam Controller was definitely being sold as good for playing Civ V or whatever on the couch, I wouldn't use it as an Android controller.

Also they had bad QC with the shoulder buttons, got firesaled two years ago and are becoming harder and harder to come by at a reasonable price.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I was almost late for work this morning because I was playing Slice & Dice, so I guess that's my stamp of approval.

van fem
Oct 22, 2010

If you can't be right, be confusing.
Got my 1st Unfair clear in Slice and Dice (tough monsters, start damaged, fewer rolls). I didn't have any broken combos, just a few good items & good healer/tank combo. Witch + Monk/Paladin carried the run, with Artificer helping in the early turns, Barb either hitting big or spamming Undying for massive value, and Fencer just providing consistent + safe dmg with atk/shield +3 dice. Class breakdown:

Fencer w/ 2 reeds (+1 to 2-pip dice) & short sword (two right dice = 2 dmg sword) : consistency was important given the single re-roll disadvantage. Fencer dice are kind of underpowered, so the 2 reeds helped me get a little more value out of him. 2 reeds is generally pretty strong (e.g. boosts the 2-ranged engage bow classes too)

Barbarian w/ Bullseye (engage on middle column) + Ruby (keep the idiot alive so he can use his pain dice) : Undying (struggle to stay alive in unfair) > bloodlust 2dmg sword > deathwish sword. The bloodlust swords were nuts though.

Paladin w/ Wine (poisons fattest enemy + Wine carrier): The shield/heal (+3) dice is one of the strongest support dice in the game. Paladin's right two dice are worthless/empty, so he's a good carrier for right-side items if you find any. I had him as Monk + Ruby for a long time until I was forced to switch him to Paladin.

Witch w/ Glyph of purity (gives top and bottom dice cleanse. mostly useless for witch, but had no other items) : this was my 2nd(?) time using witch, and she carried my team with the heal 4 cleave, heal 5 cleanse, ranged weaken (shutting off tons of AOE poison and other annoying status effects), 1 mana 2-heal spell. The heal/boost 1 came in handy maybe once or twice (boosted Artificer's poison 2).

Artificer w/ herbal spellbook + sapphire skull : you use up all his single-use items then sacrifice him (oddly enough the +2 mana on death from sapphire skull saved my bacon on a few waves). His skill is mostly useless (too expensive), used it maybe once the whole run. The up-front advantage from his single-use items makes him a really strong choice for Unfair (where you struggle to survive the first few turns until stabilizing).

Photux
Sep 3, 2012

Funny then, that such darkness gives me hope
Hey Tann, is this a bug in Slice and Dice or am I missing something? I was playing cursed mode (got to level 94!) and had the curse where enemies who start the turn with full health get one shield. Except, the bottom-most enemy never gained shield. Every fight, every turn, the bottom-most enemy wouldn't get shield even though he had full health. Maybe it had to do with one of the other curses I had? I don't think I had anything that would interfere.

Have all the challenges completed except the Unfair streak. That's gonna be real tough to get.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Holy poo poo. Level 94??

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Yea, I honestly stopped even trying cursed mode or unfair. I can't imagine how people do this kinda stuff, it seems so impossible!

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

CainFortea posted:

Yea, I honestly stopped even trying cursed mode or unfair. I can't imagine how people do this kinda stuff, it seems so impossible!

This is how I feel trying to do inferno 10 with warrior in rogue adventure. Even with lucky card draws I just get wrecked

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

Photux posted:

Hey Tann, is this a bug in Slice and Dice or am I missing something?

Thanks, it's fixed already :)
- you can submit bug reports that let me jump into your save and investigate with the automated report bug thing
- this one is caused by... the bottom enemy being (briefly) above full hp due to the "stitch" curse

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

CainFortea posted:

It helps to play the meta a bit with your choices. Getting a Gray with Cleanse helps, avoiding a bad Red like Vamp or Priestess helps, and some curse mode curses are more crippling than others--On the Brink is a run ender, but Bottom Poison or Broken Heart are very manageable. A bit of luck also comes into it as well

Photux
Sep 3, 2012

Tann posted:

Thanks, it's fixed already :)
- you can submit bug reports that let me jump into your save and investigate with the automated report bug thing
- this one is caused by... the bottom enemy being (briefly) above full hp due to the "stitch" curse

Ah, good to know. Love the game, by the way!

overseer07
Mar 30, 2003
Pillbug
94? I call shenanigans

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I can see it. Some of the blessings are pretty nuts and I could see a particularly powerful one carrying you through a whole bunch of loops.

In particular there's one that lets you carry a late game item through loops with you. When I saw it it picked a really niche one I had, but if it gives you just a generically strong item you could breeze through the early game.

Photux
Sep 3, 2012

It's really all about getting offered the right blessings.

Hamstring seems like the most powerful blessing I've seen. It weakens the two rightmost sides of all enemy dice by two. Those are the sides that have the low value but dangerous abilities like summon, poison, cleave, etc. It totally neuters bosses: they spend 1/3 of their turns doing literally nothing. And it's great against regular enemies too, and is just as good in the early parts of a run as the late parts, which isn't true of most blessings. Shiny, which makes you get items of higher levels than normal, is amazing late run, but does nothing early on. To beat the final boss while heavily cursed really requires you to make some crazy combo, and high level items give you the keywords needed to do so, so more chances at high level items is so good.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.
I picked up the 10 power hammer thing and the thing that gives the left slot rampage. It felt real good to wipe basically every encounter after that.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
I adore this game.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Spermanent Record posted:

I adore this game.

Sorcerer is so good

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

The game is so good, I'm just pretty bad at it. I have a hard time making decisions on who to upgrade or who to attack I feel like I'm usually on the back foot even on easy. It's still fun though! I'm just not good at these kinds of games for some reason.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Spermanent Record posted:

I adore this game.

Curious about that team, why 4x caster + yellow?

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar

Cinara posted:

Curious about that team, why 4x caster + yellow?

I really like rampage weapons. :hist101:

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007

Learnt some things on this run.

Undying with rescue is broken as fuuuuuck
Free 13 damage spell every 4 spells gives you a turn 2 Hexia kill.

Woo

Nemico
Sep 23, 2006

Oh my god, that item is every 4th spell not just the 4th spell on that encounter? lol ok it's way better than i thought it was then

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
[img][/img]

That devils pact +2 pain looks unusable at first but there are so many ways to mitigate death that it's actually amazing.

Makes armorer into the best class in the game instead of the worst.

Gives the witch a +3 weaken and a cleave heal that will keep the 2 adjacent characters alive forever.

Also a lot of whole screen wipes with rampage or the whirl

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?
When going for the 13 curses challenge, does upgrading a curse increase the count, or does it just replace the old one?

I keep floundering around level 52, but goddammit, I'm going to beat this thing! What level do you get the 13th curse at?

Farquar fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Oct 4, 2021

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Upgrading keeps the count.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Finally.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Hey congrats, now you can work on getting the Unfair Streak :vv:

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

drat, Slice and Dice is awesome. I love how well-tailored the whole thing is to the phone experience... really great design all around.

Rapner
May 7, 2013

NinjaDebugger posted:

Anybody playing sky force reloaded? I could use some friends.

My ID is 89 71 50 42.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Goons posted:

I could use some friends.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Android Gaming Megathread: "I could use some friends"

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Lol, stacking cantrip stuff including the reroll dice is amazing. I almost beat floor 18 on Unfair without ever stopping my dice rolling.... hope there's an unlock for doing that.

Felt super lucky getting the "+1 to all sides for each stack of poison you have" item when I had committed to the "top 3 characters start every fight poisoned" curse... by the end the poison damage barely matters so it was just kinda broken on bard. Honestly being forced to upgrade the bard, losing a reroll chance, was the scariest part of going to the final battle.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
What's the best custom party for dealing with start poisoned? And what other 2 curses should I choose? I swear half my games I die on the first battle with the start poisoned

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Lowness 72 posted:

What's the best custom party for dealing with start poisoned? And what other 2 curses should I choose? I swear half my games I die on the first battle with the start poisoned

Always take -1 reroll. You learn to play around it and then it's really not that punishing unless you're playing a sorcerer endgame comp. I did all the unfair curses with the regular party. With start poisoned it's always important to get a cleanse side ASAP, so hope you get lucky with your red/greys/items. Pass on heroes that don't have cleanse early. I always take -25% HP on heroes since it's the easiest curse, but together with poison it can get tricky if you don't get a REALLY early cleanse, but still doable. Otherwise I'd go for extra monster HP.

Good luck!

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING
I just bought my first tablet - an Amazon Fire 10 Plus. I figure there must be games that work well on a tablet screen but wouldn't have on my phone; what are the go-to options? I spent several hours playing a port of Heroes of Might & Magic 2, which was a trip. I already own "Cultist Simulator" but never got into it because it was fiddly on the phone.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I'd shelve Cultist Simulator because that game aged real poorly when word got out about what the creator's like irl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

flatluigi posted:

I'd shelve Cultist Simulator because that game aged real poorly when word got out about what the creator's like irl

They already own it so it makes no difference if they choose to play it.