Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tek79
Jun 16, 2008

How to frighten the new generation: remind them they’ll be old enough someday to take pride in remembering poo poo that sits on display in a future museum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

tek79 posted:

How to frighten the new generation: remind them they’ll be old enough someday to take pride in remembering poo poo that sits on display in a future museum.

One day your grandkids won't want to come with you to the FunkoPop museum for the 57th time.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Going to a Museum of Play with my kid gave me an instant taste of being old as poo poo. Nothing like seeing the history of toys and games laid out and realizing your own toys are closer to the tin soldiers than anything new

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Brawnfire posted:

Going to a Museum of Play with my kid gave me an instant taste of being old as poo poo. Nothing like seeing the history of toys and games laid out and realizing your own toys are closer to the tin soldiers than anything new

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

VitalSigns posted:

Whoever figured out how to get people to treat politics and political parties like sports fandom or nation-state loyalties where it's all about bellyfeels and in-group reinforcement and winning against the other side, instead of about policy and material outcomes was an evil genius.

I mean...

But there is a serious discussion about how the US is too big, like a pack of countries jammed together rather than anything cohesive, considering the limitations of communication up until recently and the cultural differences that distance imposes. There's an overarching culture but a lot of specifics break down into regionalisms born out of our history. (Not to say that other countries' internal politics have never been contentious or prone to factionalization.) The US Civil War and national politics leading up to it brought into very stark relief how political party is pretty much a nation-state loyalty inside the larger country, followed by stuff like the Solid South and its sudden flip in parties with the Civil Rights Act(s) in the 1960s.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

This Is the Zodiac posted:

What the gently caress is "the new generation" supposed to be? I'm in my 40s and vaguely remember having seen a rotary phone as a child, and have never had a TV without a remote.

HOW TO FRIGHTEN THE NEW GENERATION: PUT THEM IN A ROOM WITH A COTTON GIN AND AN ARCHIMEDES' SCREW, LEAVE INSTRUCTIONS IN CUNEIFORM

I'll put my cell phone and Roku in a room with them and leave the instructions on how to use them on my laptop.

Guavanaut posted:

I would be pretty frightened if I woke up in a random room with a phone that didn't work because the exchange doesn't recognize pulse dialing, a TV that got nothing but static because all the analog stations are off air, a watch that I can't trust the time on because I have no idea when it was last wound or set, and a bunch of commands written by a deranged boomer with a fountain pen.

Saw: The Golden Years

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Weird that this is the exact museum from my anecdote, but I guess Strong is a well-known one

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

VitalSigns posted:

You want politicians and their families to die broke and penniless?!?!"

lol, yeah! This would rule

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

How to frighten the older generation: Ask them politely to wear a mask.

I was sitting behind an old fogey with a cane with the dick nose hanging over his mask watching Fox News, and every headline, chyron, and info box was a crisis.

Supply chain crisis leaves store shelves bare
Businesses afraid shortages might last for months
Fed warns of major inflation
Dead from a single pill: the fentanyl crisis
Crime and lawlessness increasing
Is Biden losing his support?
Signs voters are preparing to revolt over vaccine mandates
Crisis at the border
Scalise: Schumer probably poops his pants
Huckabee: I made up poo poo about Congress and now it's a headline
...and so on
It must be just so exhausting being constantly in fear

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

Whoever figured out how to get people to treat politics and political parties like sports fandom or nation-state loyalties where it's all about bellyfeels and in-group reinforcement and winning against the other side, instead of about policy and material outcomes was an evil genius.

So nature and evolution?

e: for tech chat :

TV remotes get temp lost all the time, so using the physical buttons on the tv is still a useful still set, Even if it has "smart" voice controls because voice controls are poo poo.

PhazonLink fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Oct 11, 2021

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
I feel like most people would be a bit scared if you kidnapped them. But anyway, here's PROOF that the younger generation are TOO PATHETIC to use technology without their IPHONE and their SAFE SPACES.

https://i.imgur.com/27UWG6Q.gifv

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Is that a pokemon yellow cart? She's probably not going to have a good time unless she has the rpg brainworms.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

PhazonLink posted:

Is that a pokemon yellow cart? She's probably not going to have a good time unless she has the rpg brainworms.

She also probably can't read which might make Pokemon yellow difficult.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
The Donkey Kong Land games had banana yellow cartridges too :eng101:

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
Time to start writing op-eds about how generation alpha is mostly illiterate, just like all the handwringing over millennials still living at home when half were still in high school.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Nebrilos posted:

I feel like most people would be a bit scared if you kidnapped them. But anyway, here's PROOF that the younger generation are TOO PATHETIC to use technology without their IPHONE and their SAFE SPACES.

https://i.imgur.com/27UWG6Q.gifv

It's actually pretty adorable that she knows how to use the touchscreen and thinks all gadgets will work that way. I also like what I assume is the person filming this going "It doesn't work that way let me show you" and she does the "gently caress you I'll do what I want" kid thing and walks away.

Meanwhile olds are going "HAHA THE WAY YOU INTERACT WITH GADGETS CHANGED THE YUTES ARE WEAK".

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

VitalSigns posted:

This is where I am stuck right now. Let's loving face it: 99% of the poo poo that was "Rachel Maddow has gone stupid with the Russia nonsense" is actually "it went down exactly as described except for all the instances where they were even more nakedly and openly unethical, immoral, illegal, stupid, transparent, hypocritical, obvious, and O yes they all know it but are just hoping to keep you from finding out about it until they have completely gotten away with it."

I am trying to have a loving COME TO JESUS moment with my parents but they are at the "I don't discuss politics, I am too close to death and I just don't need that nonsense." Yeah, Dad, if I once declared Donald loving Trump (yeah, THAT one) was "the greatest thing ever to happen to the US" then you can bet your rear end I would never want to discuss politics ever again.

BUT IT IS NOT A TEAM SPORT.

This is unbelievable to me. All the information is out and has been, we're getting more and more direct confirmation that Trump used the DOJ to attempt a coup while openly taking bribes from DB and furthering every foreign policy position that would benefit Vladimir Putin and everything else. But you look at the GOP today and they are convinced Democrats are the enemies of the Constitution because we support vaccines and mask mandates, and of course we stole the election and all we really need is a REAL audit.

This "both sides" bullshit makes me not want to even talk about Trump getting Clark to write a letter from main Justice because to them I sound just a loving kooky as they do to me. WTF do you do about that part? How do you start to find common ground when you already hate your own position because they don't just drink the Kool-Aid, they won't drink anything else?

Full disclosure: I spent my 50th birthday alone with my girlfriend because I found out my two living best guy friends cut me out of my late friend's estate. He had a lot of guitars and I wanted to ask the family to allow me buy one that meant a lot to me. Out of respect to the family I asked them to just broker for me when they do their deals with the family. I didn't want them to feel picked over by vultures, you know? I loved this man, he was very special and I miss him more than I could describe.
They bought the guitar in March 2019 and told my girlfriend it was to be a gift to me, and she kept the secret forever. Apparently the one guy convinced the other to let him keep it, because of my politics. I found out just weeks before my 50th birthday, two years after all this. I was trying to understand and process this. They told me I deserved it because I said something about executing traitors or something back then. Yeah this was after Bill Barr was installed at DOJ and we knew what that meant. Well, I went to High School with this guy, and we've been like brothers our whole lives. He thinks we aren't speaking because I am a narcissist who cant admit I was wrong and I haven't apologized. In fact I am just astonished you can call yourself my friend but punish me for something we could have discussed and then lied about it for years, then when I find out you double triple and quadruple down (like Trump) to justify not, you know, being an adult and talking about it. Same thing at Mom and Dad's house.

We're here at the moment where this either gets dealt with or swept under the rug, and even though nothing matters I still believe the findings of the Select Committee are going to be everywhere before next year's mid-terms. Sotry about all the personal info, btw, but cutting out someone you claim to love from a chance to have one of my friend's instruments to remember him by after they died is a pretty drat ruthless way to own a lib. And I don't think I am ok with letting my parents vote for Trump then wash their hands of the loving damage they have done but gently caress man, it's family so it doesn't matter what I am ok with.

I don't think I have ever felt such existential loving dread as I do now, because it has finally isolated me from the only people in my life who I might ever have desired some kind of validation from. I am not saying I am murderous or you should expect to see me in the news or the obits someday; but on the other hand I can understand how people slide all the way down there.

I wish I couldn't.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Put today's youth in a work house making tin cups

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
The rotary phone joke has been done to death. And it assumes the zoomer had never seen any movies that had people operating rotary phones. And much like mocking people for not knowing how to drive a manual transmission, it tends to have someone with decades of experience mock a person who had never learned yet. It's like if Lockpicking Lawyer was berating some kid for being unable to jimmy open a $2.99 MasterLock padlock.

I mean imagine an escape room built around those stupid gotchas. Even a young person who never saw them before is going to solve Bean Dad's Escape Room before they get hungry.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
pretty sure that all old phone stuff are https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skeuomorph

kids pick up context clues this is a phone, even if their parents or some of the oldest zoomers with the youngest grandparents probably never touch or even seen a rotary in person.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Dr. Faustus posted:

This "both sides" bullshit makes me not want to even talk about Trump getting Clark to write a letter from main Justice because to them I sound just a loving kooky as they do to me. WTF do you do about that part? How do you start to find common ground when you already hate your own position because they don't just drink the Kool-Aid, they won't drink anything else?

The biggest problem that I see is that people are sticking to the "Well, I'm entitled to my opinion" and "We'll have to agree to disagree". The amount of misinformation on social media is staggering, and people don't want to accept that they are WRONG. Agree to disagree is fine when a Democrat and Republican are discussing actual policy preferences, it is not acceptable for vaccines.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

It starts making sense when you realize that "freedom of speech" just means "freedom from consequences" where everyone's opinion is equally valid because it's an opinion.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Medullah posted:

The biggest problem that I see is that people are sticking to the "Well, I'm entitled to my opinion" and "We'll have to agree to disagree". The amount of misinformation on social media is staggering, and people don't want to accept that they are WRONG. Agree to disagree is fine when a Democrat and Republican are discussing actual policy preferences, it is not acceptable for vaccines.

On the other hand, have you seen the giant American flag on my truck? Clearly I love America more than you.

Now come look at my gun collection.

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

Minenfeld! posted:

It starts making sense when you realize that "freedom of speech" just means "freedom from consequences" where everyone's opinion is equally valid because it's an opinion.

Claiming something to be true that is factually untrue is NOT an opinion

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Rugged individualism is in the DNA of every piece of American media produced for mass consumption, and people really don't like being told that they need to do something for the hood of society. My partner watches those CW DC shows for background noise and the most recent one, Stargirl, has a plot point that, in 2021, completely gobsmacked me.

So, the "evil plan" of the "Injustice Society of America" is apparently to brainwash dumbass Americans into acknowledging that they in fact live in a society and should live accordingly. So eliminating racism, establishing universal healthcare, eliminating poverty, etc. But wait, that sounds pretty good? Oh no, 25% of all adults will die as a result! Welp, there's the catch, right? No, it's worse than that: the 25% that will die only die because their brains just won't be able to take such radical reeducation. You know, learning things like "people should have access to medicine" and "all people deserve to be treated justly under law."

Then, to drive home the point, we get a scene where a town is full of adults getting "reeducated" (frozen in trance essentially) and there's a little girl crying for her dad. The big bad sees her and tells her that her dad's just learning how to be a better person. She says "my daddy's already a good person!" Guess we'll see if he wakes up, kid!

It was clearly all written and shot pre-pandemic but talk about a collosal loving oof, because both of us are about ready to mash that button, especially after another near miss with our crumbling hospital system here in the US.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Panfilo posted:

I mean imagine an escape room built around those stupid gotchas. Even a young person who never saw them before is going to solve Bean Dad's Escape Room before they get hungry.
I'm sure someone's done it, but an escape room where every puzzle involved formerly-common but obsolete technology might be kind of fun. You could do things like put a clue on 8mm film that has to be threaded through a projector, or an algebra equation that has to be solved but all you get is a slide rule.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Dubar posted:

Claiming something to be true that is factually untrue is NOT an opinion

Sure, but someone whose ideology boils down for freedom from consequences for themselves and people who are Like Them, does not give a single poo poo about any of this and has willingly departed from causal reality for magical thinking. At least the ones right now, in the Anglophone world.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Panfilo posted:

The rotary phone joke has been done to death. And it assumes the zoomer had never seen any movies that had people operating rotary phones.

It also gives away that the person making the joke probably hasn't dealt too much with young kids in a long, long time and is just making assumptions. The rotary phone style is still a fairly common toy design. Like, yeah, it's kind of nitpicky but all these "jokes" hang around a lot of stupid little nits to pick.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
a living walking rotary phone is a senator even.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
I need to do some more looking but to have McConnell say that Schumer had a meltdown is laughable. Have any of these (resulting bandwagon) people watched any of the impeachments coverage. If you want to see people simultaneously running, peeing, and pooping their pants, look no farther than the Republican Gish gallop during those highly publicized events.

Is there already a nice flowchart out there somewhere?

"Answers your hypothetical with a stronger hypothetical" => change the goal posts

"Responds to your anecdote with an anecdote" => claim it doesn't apply to lots of people

"Responds with statistical details" => we'll have to agree to disagree

"Points out that no one in group-of-claimed-membership believe that" => media lies, my group is good people

"Notes irrelevancy compared to actual problem" => silence, change topics

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

PhazonLink posted:

a living walking rotary phone is a senator even.
Median age 68, so half were born before these things: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1953

If anyone ever wondered about age developing wisdom.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Professor Beetus posted:

Rugged individualism is in the DNA of every piece of American media produced for mass consumption, and people really don't like being told that they need to do something for the hood of society. My partner watches those CW DC shows for background noise and the most recent one, Stargirl, has a plot point that, in 2021, completely gobsmacked me.

So, the "evil plan" of the "Injustice Society of America" is apparently to brainwash dumbass Americans into acknowledging that they in fact live in a society and should live accordingly. So eliminating racism, establishing universal healthcare, eliminating poverty, etc. But wait, that sounds pretty good? Oh no, 25% of all adults will die as a result! Welp, there's the catch, right? No, it's worse than that: the 25% that will die only die because their brains just won't be able to take such radical reeducation. You know, learning things like "people should have access to medicine" and "all people deserve to be treated justly under law."

Then, to drive home the point, we get a scene where a town is full of adults getting "reeducated" (frozen in trance essentially) and there's a little girl crying for her dad. The big bad sees her and tells her that her dad's just learning how to be a better person. She says "my daddy's already a good person!" Guess we'll see if he wakes up, kid!

It was clearly all written and shot pre-pandemic but talk about a collosal loving oof, because both of us are about ready to mash that button, especially after another near miss with our crumbling hospital system here in the US.

This was the plot of some lovely old anime movie I remember watching like maybe 10 years ago. I don't even remember the name because it was an awful movie but the plot was similar. The "villain" wanted to do an Assassin's Creed type thing where he was going to launch a mind control satellite into space and end war, poverty, racism, etc. Not because he wanted to personally rule the world but because he wanted to get rid of all the bad poo poo humans do. And the reason he had to be stopped, according to the female lead character, was that "it has to be their choice".

Like what the gently caress. I wasn't nearly as progressive then as I am now and I still understood that was loving stupid. I would 100% launch that satellite/press that button/whatever if it would reprogram humanity and yeah sorry I don't care if chuds kill themselves because they can't handle being non-lovely people. Ideally that wouldn't happen and we wouldn't have to lose people but if the remaining population were all progressive socialists it would be worth it.

That DC cartoon isn't even being consistent with the crying child because if you're seriously reprogramming everyone's brains then you're also reprogramming the kid too and she would be OK with daddy being brainwashed into being a non-chud.

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Oct 11, 2021

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Elephant Ambush posted:

and yeah sorry I don't care if chuds kill themselves because they can't handle being non-lovely people. Ideally that wouldn't happen and we wouldn't have to lose people but if the remaining population were all progressive socialists it would be worth it.
Hearing about parents sending kids to schools with mesh masks (ineffective), I arrived at a point today that this isn't going to be over until we (those of us acting in the best interest of medicine and science etc) end up paying to keep everything afloat. We will have this for years, until such point as a certain percentage die "naturally" from getting it. It will be a significant dollar burden on our economy, because of the side effects and secondary impacts to health care and business/industry. The other option is choosing to delete the stupid people or send them to camps forever. Being that we're not right wingers, we know which path we're on.

But consider this: They can't even wear a useless mask for the good of society (it would reduce panic/fear), let alone what they should be doing (working mask, washing hands, vaccines). Instead their contribution to humanity is to walk into a grocery store, unmasked, no vaccine, and scream and cough at the top of their lungs. They're not interested in freedom or liberty (or the Constitution).

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Elephant Ambush posted:

This was the plot of some lovely old anime movie I remember watching like maybe 10 years ago. I don't even remember the name because it was an awful movie but the plot was similar. The "villain" wanted to do an Assassin's Creed type thing where he was going to launch a mind control satellite into space and end war, poverty, racism, etc. Not because he wanted to personally rule the world but because he wanted to get rid of all the bad poo poo humans do. And the reason he had to be stopped, according to the female lead character, was that "it has to be their choice".

Like what the gently caress. I wasn't nearly as progressive then as I am now and I still understood that was loving stupid. I would 100% launch that satellite/press that button/whatever if it would reprogram humanity and yeah sorry I don't care if chuds kill themselves because they can't handle being non-lovely people. Ideally that wouldn't happen and we wouldn't have to lose people but if the remaining population were all progressive socialists it would be worth it.

That DC cartoon isn't even being consistent with the crying child because if you're seriously reprogramming everyone's brains then you're also reprogramming the kid too and she would be OK with daddy being brainwashed into being a non-chud.

If you want a rare reversal on that kind of plot about making people "better," check out Joe Haldeman's Forever Peace, a thematic sequel to his better known classic The Forever War. The main characters are pilots of advanced war bots that they control through a remote neural link, acting in perfect sync with a team of fellow pilots that they're also linked to. They end up finding out that someone who stays linked up with other humans for an extended period (like a couple weeks) develops a deep, inviolable empathy that makes it impossible to actually go through with killing someone or knowingly getting someone killed. And they decide that the moral course of action is to join a coup to "humanize" their superiors because no we don't need to just wait patiently for chuds and other fuckers to suddenly find some kind of goodness in their hearts when humans are very capable of extinguishing all life at this point.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

disposablewords posted:

It also gives away that the person making the joke probably hasn't dealt too much with young kids in a long, long time and is just making assumptions. The rotary phone style is still a fairly common toy design. Like, yeah, it's kind of nitpicky but all these "jokes" hang around a lot of stupid little nits to pick.

Millenials are killing the rotary phone industry

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Deuce posted:

Millenials are killing the rotary phone industry
Amateur radio licenses going strong. :corsair: http://www.arrl.org/news/us-amateur-radio-numbers-reach-an-all-time-high

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

disposablewords posted:

If you want a rare reversal on that kind of plot about making people "better," check out Joe Haldeman's Forever Peace, a thematic sequel to his better known classic The Forever War. The main characters are pilots of advanced war bots that they control through a remote neural link, acting in perfect sync with a team of fellow pilots that they're also linked to. They end up finding out that someone who stays linked up with other humans for an extended period (like a couple weeks) develops a deep, inviolable empathy that makes it impossible to actually go through with killing someone or knowingly getting someone killed. And they decide that the moral course of action is to join a coup to "humanize" their superiors because no we don't need to just wait patiently for chuds and other fuckers to suddenly find some kind of goodness in their hearts when humans are very capable of extinguishing all life at this point.

I keep meaning to get into Haldeman's work (reading some Greg Bear for the first time currently though) so thanks for the recommendation.

FWIW the DC show I was referring to is live action and called Stargirl, and is based on the Justice Society of America ( :ironicat: )

For good DC tv everyone should watch Doom Patrol on HBO Max, which has an episode in which (season 1 ep 7 spoilers) the cop villain gets beat down by a bunch of drag performers and various types of social outcasts, who fall under the protection of a genderqueer teleoporting street named Danny and the show's titular team of superhero misfits. It's very good. James Gunn's The Suicide Squad (kinda obvious twist spoiler) features the US Government as the biggest bad of the movie and serves as a pretty drat good send up of Predator, to boot. I do not recommend paying any money to see it because of James Gunn's idiotic takes on movie theaters and pandemics and PrOpEr CiNeMa

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I saw the “take federal budget/debt and remove 8 zeros to get a household budget” image.

Now they added a line about how “if sewage is filling your home, do you raise the ceiling or get rid of the crap?”

I love remakes and remixes.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
You're missing the point of that Stargirl plot. The guy that wants to do it is a literal white supremacist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Elephant Ambush posted:

I can think of a few series that try to do this.

The idea of a villain trying to eliminate evil by removing free will is pretty common. Naruto did it (with three villains!), PsychoPass is basically built around the idea similar to 'Minority Report'. Gurren Lagaan literally has free will as a dangerous force that will destroy the universe, that is just fought and beaten by even FREE-R WILL and big robots.

Crest of the Stars has humanity get absorbed into a galactic empire because otherwise they would have killed themselves, Legend of Galactic Heroes is pretty much a 150+ episode debate between 'uncertain democracy' vs 'benevolent dictatorship', it's a pretty common trope.