Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Mr Hootington posted:

They already own it so it makes no difference if they choose to play it.

thanks, dude, but i'm saying the game's subject matter specifically takes on a real bad light given the allegations against alexis kennedy

i mean it less as 'don't watch this movie with kevin spacey because he's a pedo' but more as a 'this movie has some good bits but also has kevin spacey actively grooming/seeking a relationship with someone underage/much younger than him and it makes it real uncomfortable'

ANYWAY if you do like the aesthetic i'd recommend picking up sunless sea/sunless skies, they play pretty well on a tablet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

flatluigi posted:

thanks, dude, but i'm saying the game's subject matter specifically takes on a real bad light given the allegations against alexis kennedy

i mean it less as 'don't watch this movie with kevin spacey because he's a pedo' but more as a 'this movie has some good bits but also has kevin spacey actively grooming/seeking a relationship with someone underage/much younger than him and it makes it real uncomfortable'

ANYWAY if you do like the aesthetic i'd recommend picking up sunless sea/sunless skies, they play pretty well on a tablet

Unfortunately I own K-Pax

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Mr Hootington posted:

Unfortunately I own K-Pax

that's neither of the two movies i had in my head when i was typing that up, funnily enough (baby driver and american beauty)

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

What's wrong with k-pax in light of spacy's pestery?

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
I seem to remember it was terrible despite him being a terrible person

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS

Ignoranus posted:

I just bought my first tablet - an Amazon Fire 10 Plus. I figure there must be games that work well on a tablet screen but wouldn't have on my phone; what are the go-to options? I spent several hours playing a port of Heroes of Might & Magic 2, which was a trip. I already own "Cultist Simulator" but never got into it because it was fiddly on the phone.

I'm a fan of playing some of the "busier" board game-style games on the bigger screen, since there's typically more stuff on the screen. Games like:

- Race for the Galaxy
- Ticket to Ride
- Suburbia
- One Deck Dungeon
- 7 Wonders
- Burgle Bros
- Galaxy Trucker

Other random games I like on the bigger screen:
- Stardew Valley
- Crosswords
- Project Highrise

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Even, uhhh 9 years later, I'd still buy and (attempt to) play FTL on my phone.

Into The Breach, probably moreso. Any recommendations for similar games?

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Even, uhhh 9 years later, I'd still buy and (attempt to) play FTL on my phone.

Into The Breach, probably moreso. Any recommendations for similar games?

Auro, Hoplite, and Microgue are all very good. Unfortunately Microgue crashes on newer versions of Android.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Slice and dice is the roguelike of choice right now.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Slice and dice is amazing

Had an awesome growth/rampage run the other day, it also paired with lucking out on spammy enemy pulls instead of big single bosses.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
The troll king keeps kicking my arse on hard. Just can't keep up with his damage while damaging him in turn.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Chas McGill posted:

The troll king keeps kicking my arse on hard. Just can't keep up with his damage while damaging him in turn.
By that point I feel like using your mana effectively can be a big difference maker. Ideally you want only one or two people handling the shielding and healing each turn so everyone else can wail on the boss, but make sure you're utilizing Burst's shield capability or healing spells etc. to fill in gaps when you need a lil something extra. Also make sure not to blow all your mana every turn unless it's actually making a difference.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Yea never spend mana unless it's going to get a kill or save someone or be wasted due to being over cap, you never know if you'll have a better use the next turn. Troll King really benefits from any sort of scaling damage, a single good growth die or poison attack should usually auto win on him. He also can just be burst down though since he has no triggers at HP breakpoints or add summoning like most bosses. Poison in general will solve a lot of boss issues though if those are what you're struggling on.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Lol, got through the first 20 levels on Cursed and I think it may be awhile before I dive into that again.

Had a pretty sweet combo of Fertilizer + Growth on a cantrips dagger, along with an extra reroll and chance for more, so pretty sick scaling potential... except I forgot I had absolutely no cleanse by the time I reached Hexia, i.e. no way to purge petrify. Also completely forgot about her damage reflection, which made the cantrips super dangerous. Managed to get so many stacks of soothe going that I kinda just bashed my head against the fight and managed to win even though by the end I had 1 dead hero and I think 3 more with 4 permanently petrified sides.

The blessings felt... I dunno, extremely RNG-dependent though? I might look them up, because my first options were "+1 max hp for every 'e' in a hero's name" and "+1 reroll on first turn, +1 reroll against bosses" and neither of those seemed particularly good, unless I guess I'd just have to commit to cantrips reroll poo poo every time for the latter? I picked a random one and got a Mushroom (add growth to two right sides) which at least is something that provides clear potential for scaling or faster kills or whatever, but still kinda eh. Turned hopeless pretty quickly after that in the early game with curses from last loop built up.

Martman fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Oct 14, 2021

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Yeah, not spending all your mana just because you can was a big one to realise.
Having extra choices to end an enemy next turn is better than non-lethal damage this turn.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Not sure if this is something that can be fixed, but I just lost a run to my phone battery dying and apparently it did not save at all. Was almost finished with my third loop in a cursed run when it happened and upon charging and opening the app again it was like I had never started that run.

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

Cinara posted:

Not sure if this is something that can be fixed, but I just lost a run to my phone battery dying and apparently it did not save at all. Was almost finished with my third loop in a cursed run when it happened and upon charging and opening the app again it was like I had never started that run.

I think the save should still be there, you just need to select cursed mode before loading.

(I have made it load up into the mode you last played in for the next update)

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
It still had the continue run from before I had started that cursed run which sadly was another cursed run so if the save was there I likely overwrote it by hitting continue.

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

Interesting, I'll have to see if I can replicate it

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Artificer with all of the single use modifiers removed is just ridiculous. First hard win, poison definitely does make most bosses way more manageable

explosivo fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Oct 14, 2021

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

The secret of Artificer is that he's ridiculous even without it because fights shouldn't last that long unless you're playing high level cursed!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

that's good to know, the single use modifier usually turned me off but this just happened to work out so drat well

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

explosivo posted:

that's good to know, the single use modifier usually turned me off but this just happened to work out so drat well

It did for me as well, but he's very strong and the early turn or two are SO important that even if he doesn't do anything else for the rest of the fight it could still be worth it. Obviously, consider the opportunity cost of the other 3rd tier blues who are also pretty wild.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Anyone playing nier reincarnation? The music and story is top notch, really impressed so far. Runs like rear end on my pixel 4xl though which is disappointing

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Still chipping away at the Anthem killer

Chop, chop, chop
Re: slice and dice, engage seems rather weak. Is there something I'm missing? I understand that doubling damage is powerful but I have a hard time adding any plusses before every enemy has some damage. The game is amazing btw, played the heck out of it

Nemico
Sep 23, 2006

It's nice with things that boost damage cause it makes them even stronger, or against swarms of small monsters if you can give it Rampage as well, but yeah, you're not exactly clamoring for the classes with a lot of low power engage sides. They can't all be the best

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Engage is pretty good. IIRC a 2 damage engage is valued about the same as a 3 damage side. And a 3 damage side overall works out to more DPS, but there's a lot of times where you need exactly 4 damage. And for 4 health enemies or zombies, that 2 damage engage is incredible.

Also, engage just starts getting real good when you can manage to throw it on a supportive side. It is, after all, a lot easier to ensure your heroes are at full health.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Yaas, finally beat hard. Thanks for the advice. Saving up mana was a game changer. Although I also benefited from an artificer with infinite items.

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009
Getting engage on ranged attack sides and sides with cleave also feels great. I still struggled to feel enthusiastic about the vanilla 1 pip engage sides that a few of the classes have early on though.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Got my Hard 2-win streak today, finally. Almost lost it on the final fight of the second run though. It was Hexia (with Stronger Monsters), and I had two units kill themselves with damage, finally killing Hexia itself. This left me with one imp remaining, and I had:

Leader with every side petrified except the 2 damage duplicate.
One of the healers with a cleave heal and the 1-point weaken, everything else petrified.
Artificer that had already used all of its single-use sides, so, six X sides.

All of them half-dead. I just barely managed it with the weaken stopping the imp from summoning, and landing the leader 1/6 to deal the damage to win it.

I think I unlocked three or four different achievements that run. It was the Hard streak, it was my last Hard run to clear each curse, and I got the "win a battle with at least four party members on 1hp" somewhere in there, and I think something else. Tense, though, I really had to play smart to win that second run.

Ryaath
Apr 8, 2003

Slice&dice talk. I also finally beat standard hard, and with the final curse (+1 mana for spells), so 2 unlocks. Was a fun run with growth on a rescue shield being mvp, and a couple 3pip bows with engage being very helpful late.

Really impressed at how well balanced this game is. It's challenging, and rng, but fun to get good runs. Thanks for the game, dude.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
I cannot beat cursed "spells cost +1 mana". I usually do 1 roll, 25%health reduction as the other curses. I can't do it! Ooze queen is my usual undoing. That or Rotten.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Lowness 72 posted:

I cannot beat cursed "spells cost +1 mana". I usually do 1 roll, 25%health reduction as the other curses. I can't do it! Ooze queen is my usual undoing. That or Rotten.

Do it with a custom party then. It still counts and it's much easier without a blue hero.

Chalk is Cheap
Mar 29, 2005

You know, Maine has a really cool underground hip-hop scene...
I keep failing at level 20 on cursed. So many times. I both love and hate this dumb game. Thank you for making it but also screw you. Why do you torture me? What did I ever do to you?

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

Miftan posted:

Do it with a custom party then. It still counts and it's much easier without a blue hero.

Lol poo poo ok I did it by replacing blue with orange.

Ok now left=blank!

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Lowness 72 posted:

Lol poo poo ok I did it by replacing blue with orange.
Just did the same!

Ended up with a pretty epic run. I decided I had been underrating Syringe (+5 to all sides when 3 or more heroes are dead), because, you know... almost all failed runs involve a moment when that could matter a ton. Popped it on my Fencer, and almost got completely poo poo on by a Basilisk + Troll + Spiker fight. I was getting absolutely owned until the Fencer ended up being the only one alive, with 2 HP, against both a Basilisk with 6 HP and a Spiker with like 10. I realized there was exactly one way to win: the sword + shield combo side was up to 7 strength from Syringe, but if I petrified it against the Basilisk I'd have even worse odds of surviving against the Spiker... so I got lucky, got the roll, and had to focus down the Spiker for 2 turns while they wailed on me. I was on -1 reroll too, so I had to pop Evade any time it came up just to get extra rerolls.

Felt completely badass when it worked out. This game really reminds me of Into the Breach in how the encounters feel like they're honed to a perfect balance of simplicity in form and complexity in strategy and stuff. It feels so satisfying when you realize the "perfect" solution to a situation, even though you know it's possible it won't work out.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Left blank is the worst one, good luck!

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
My main tip for that one is don't pick it with -1 reroll, that combo will just annihilate your damage. But the other big thing is picking up items that replace your left slot or blank slots, as now they have no drawback.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Also important thing, ballet shoes will preempt the blank left side and successfully move a side to the right, so definitely grab them if you can when doing that run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Game is good. But at this point, yeah, I think it may be time for a Slice and Dice thread. It's been multiple pages of non stop discussion, so there is clearly enough substance to warrant a thread.