Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Antigravitas posted:

Limiting yourself to whatever is packaged by your distro isn't the worst idea imo.
When a Python thing is packaged by Debian it's usually a sign that it's being maintained.

it means that it's maintained by a debian maintainer, who often has no connection to anyone who has actually contributed a line of code to the package

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

what do you use over a socket?

HTTP? I suppose that works, it just feels wrong to me to use it for IPC

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Presto posted:

Nope. I don't know what these things are for. I just install python and it goes.
you may not have an easy time getting the next python job. i don't say that to be demeaning but from bitter experience in organizations that institutionally defended doing things "their own way", and then fumbling to explain to interviewers that i wasn't the root cause of that

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Oct 12, 2021

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

my homie dhall posted:

HTTP? I suppose that works, it just feels wrong to me to use it for IPC

no. if you had a raw socket what would you use?

mystes
May 31, 2006

my homie dhall posted:

what protocol are you supposed to use over pipes?
:justpost:

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

CarForumPoster posted:

These sure are SOME posts. Presto do you also post from isolated systems? Are you sending your posts to jeffrey of YOSPOS by carrier pigeon?
It's true. For my entire professional career I have never written code on a machine with an Internet connection.

Except for a couple months when I was working on an Actionscript thing.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Presto posted:

It's true. For my entire professional career I have never written code on a machine with an Internet connection.

what are you working on? I’ve written Python on computers without internet connections and it just takes some prior planning of what packages I’ll want so I can clear them through a security process. build my env, burn to CD, submit to security…wait forever…done!

Joe Chip
Jan 4, 2014

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

custom ascii serialization format documented in code only with fs to separate fields, rs to separate records, and nul to terminate :getin:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Joe Chip posted:

custom ascii serialization format documented in code only with fs to separate fields, rs to separate records, and nul to terminate :getin:

make the only acceptable numeric format octal and you’ve basically got the tar header format

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

CarForumPoster posted:

what are you working on?
:ssh:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
so... milind complex?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Presto posted:

??? can you not copy all the stuff you want from site-packages onto a pen drive and use those?

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

DoomTrainPhD posted:

??? can you not copy all the stuff you want from site-packages onto a pen drive and use those?
Lmao. You have no idea how many rules you just violated.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

DoomTrainPhD posted:

I'm guessing that presto works for the spooks and plugging a USB drive into a secure computer is a good way to get yourself in forever jail

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
milind complex, spooks, directly for military or some other thing w clearances

ciaphas did this whole rigamarole a bit back didnt he? should go ask him

also post resume

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Kazinsal posted:

I'm guessing that presto works for the spooks and plugging a USB drive into a secure computer is a good way to get yourself in forever jail
Don't need to get the spooks involved. You do not insert *any* writable media (USBs, non-finalized CDs, whatever) in prohibited systems. I knew a guy once at my last job who in a brain-fart moment plugged his iPod into his workstation. It had to be destroyed, and he swung the hammer himself.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Presto posted:

Lmao. You have no idea how many rules you just violated.

my company sells poo poo to orgs like yours, and let me tell you, when an escalation comes in from one of those places it’s a loving nightmare

ever tried walking someone through editing yaml over the phone? just the phone, no screen share, no documents, zero bits in and out of their network except through the voice of some dork SSH’d into the system. and that dork doesn’t know how to use any cli editors

federal systems with that air gap bullshit can get hosed, it’s the worst.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Kazinsal posted:

no no. I meant copy the files over and submit them for approval lol. not “plug random usb stick into secure computer machine”.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Arcsech posted:

my company sells poo poo to orgs like yours, and let me tell you, when an escalation comes in from one of those places it’s a loving nightmare

ever tried walking someone through editing yaml over the phone? just the phone, no screen share, no documents, zero bits in and out of their network except through the voice of some dork SSH’d into the system. and that dork doesn’t know how to use any cli editors

federal systems with that air gap bullshit can get hosed, it’s the worst.

literally yes lol.

walking random USAF enlisted through using vi by spelling commands out over the phone using the NATO alphabet was weirdly fun

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Presto posted:

Don't need to get the spooks involved. You do not insert *any* writable media (USBs, non-finalized CDs, whatever) in prohibited systems. I knew a guy once at my last job who in a brain-fart moment plugged his iPod into his workstation. It had to be destroyed, and he swung the hammer himself.

if you’re working in defense I find it really hard to believe that you don’t have any low to high process. that’s the easy direction

you don’t put the CD in your computer you follow the process

ive done low to highs on Python packages before. was time consuming but lol at the idea of just writing all pure Python poo poo

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
i did some work on an airbase and you couldnt use usb drives but you could burn cd-r

dude i was working with had a stack of cd-r like you wouldnt believe

we had to send some logs back to a vendor, but you couldnt email logs from internal systems (against the rules), and you couldnt plug in usb (you get an armed response), but you could burn a 2kb log file to a cd, take it to a low-sec computer on a separate network, and email it then.

poo poo took all loving day because we had to do it multiple times

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
just print all the libraries you need and then retype them yourself

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
arg I'm getting flashbacks to an oncall rotation where I got paged by somebody working in a SCIF

they had two machines on their desk and they copied me logs by reading them off one screen and typing them into the other computer

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Presto posted:

Don't think I ever used pip.

i have, however, used pip3

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

write a userspace TCP stack and do HTTP over it. pretend I'm a terrible programmer

the only thing I can think of that gets simpler is that you have SOCK_DGRAM available so you don't have to worry about handling message size. is there some well-known efficient binary protocol you use like protobufs? or is protobufs the thing?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
you've already hooked your pipe up to the right place. you have absolutely no need for the parts of a protocol related to breaking a message up into packets, routing it through several intermediate machines to your destination, retransmitting any packets that didn't arrive, and reassembling it into the original message.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
you do what you gotta do for a particular employer, but some curiosity about more common industry practices would serve you well

animist
Aug 28, 2018

Jabor posted:

you've already hooked your pipe up to the right place. you have absolutely no need for the parts of a protocol related to breaking a message up into packets, routing it through several intermediate machines to your destination, retransmitting any packets that didn't arrive, and reassembling it into the original message.

so you're saying i shouldn't wrap my pipe

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

CarForumPoster posted:

if you’re working in defense I find it really hard to believe that you don’t have any low to high process. that’s the easy direction
Oh sure, low to high is easy. Although depending on how high you are going, there may be several excepts and buts after "easy".

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I'd except a but after easy, if you know what I mean

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

pokeyman posted:

tbf not using pip would probably improve my python experience. perhaps it is everyone else who is foolish

pip wouldn't be so bad if it didn't write to your system dep store by default... or if python was like Java where you have to set the classpath at runtime.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

i agree kind of but it only does that by default because your OS comes with python by default, its not reasonable to expect python to janitor your OS for you IMHO

sometimes you want to install packages to the system python, and from a server janitor perspective its way better for a language to have 0 magic, its intuitively very easy to understand "system pip installs packages to system site-packages". if you need an isolated python, simply install one much like you would install anything else

e: it is better than the GAC, at least

12 rats tied together fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Oct 12, 2021

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

MrQueasy posted:

pip wouldn't be so bad if it didn't write to your system dep store by default... or if python was like Java where you have to set the classpath at runtime.

I remember having some hilarious issues with specifying version ranges in requirements.txt and things not working, but I don't remember the specifics and it might have been user error, plus semver was a mistake and the only package manager that does this even remotely close to right is elm's

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
semver is fine its the fact that python programmers dont have basic understanding of things like compatibility or non-breaking changes.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
semver is bad and python is unremarkable in its use thereof

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

semver is fine its the fact that python programmers dont have basic understanding of things like compatibility or non-breaking changes.

the notion of the breaking change is incomprehensible because, and this cannot be repeated enough, computers are a gently caress

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

python 2 to python 3 is one of the better language compatibility stories that exists, especially for a free language

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
semver works fine and also global, non-OS libraries should never be used. disk space hasnt been a consideration in decades.

mystes
May 31, 2006

12 rats tied together posted:

python 2 to python 3 is one of the better language compatibility stories that exists, especially for a free language
Most of the problems with the transition were due to people being whiny babies but it still didn't change enough to justify breaking stuff when they could have just gradually switched by having the new Unicode mode be optional at the beginning and then be the default with the old behavior being optional and then added a deprecated warning after a few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

im sure it sucked for a lot of code authors and it could have been rolled out better, but as "guy who uses 3rd party code and can freely switch between versions", i have several core packages that today will still run fine if I reinstall them on top of python 2

one of them will even detect python 2.7 and use it if there isn't a python 3 interpreter available, of course, i always make sure there is a python 3 interpreter available