Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'd say Luce Layne but then just realised that's almost literally just Lois Lane...

Also his mom was apparently Lara Lor-Van.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
i wish DC had the balls to make Obama Superman gay instead of Superman's son who will probably be just as unused in 10 years as well, Obama Superman

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I watched an Ashens food video he did with that chef guy who DOESNT ACTUALLY LIKE FOOD and some woman (I forget who, sorry) and Ashens and the poo poo chef would just talk over the woman and basically ignore whatever she said the whole video through. They were, in fact, idiots on social media.

Who is the chef who doesn't like food?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I cannot believe they are retconning comic books. The left has truly gone mad with power.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Its cool when they turn super heroes into zombies, or evil, or nazis, or animals, but god drat you better not turn them gay

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Dr. Seeking Strange

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Tiggum posted:

Who is the chef who doesn't like food?

Barry something? I think it was like cucumber and something else. I may have exaggerated a bit.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I cannot believe they are retconning comic books. The left has truly gone mad with power.

https://twitter.com/jordanbpeterson/status/1379288433013690369?s=20

and in the replies:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It's not even retconning! Bisexuality is the best sexuality to give to a long-running character, because it doesn't invalidate any previous relationships!

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
they also aren't doing that anyways he just has a bi son

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

IronicDongz posted:

they also aren't doing that anyways he just has a bi son

I mean, Jon isn't a new character, he's existed since 2015. He spent most of that as a kid, though, and hasn't really had relationships to invalidate (which this wouldn't have, anyway).

But this is all just a rehash of the moral panic when they made Tim Drake bi a couple months ago. And Tim actually did have previous relationships, that... again, aren't invalidated, because bisexuality.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
When I think of gay comic book heroes I think of Northstar who no one cared about because he was part of Alpha Flight

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Kraven the Hunter was the gayest comic book character I remember. I don't even know/remember if he was "meant" to be gay? (It was 1987 or something.)

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Kraven the Hunter was the gayest comic book character I remember. I don't even know/remember if he was "meant" to be gay? (It was 1987 or something.)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Boo to the street clothes.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

My favorite thing is that the comic companies (and movie studios and book publishers and toy companies etc) wouldn't be putting out storylines like this if they didn't sell. They're not "forcing" anything on anyone, they're being as coldly capitalistic as they come.

GOP: Be free to pursue profit any way you like!

GOP: WAIT NO NOT LIKE THAT

The "virtue signalling" thing they throw is their only angle to attack it. And it's transparently false because the companies sure don't seem to be going broke over going woke

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Yeah they are a ton of shitheads losing their minds over SUPERMAN CANT BE GAY ILL NEVER BUY THIS COMIC NOW who clearly haven't been buying it anyway because they don't know who Jon Kent is (and also can't even be bothered to read the tweet announcement they're screaming about that explains it)

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I won't have purchased this property any longer during the time period I was last reading comics, which actually is closer in time to Cleopatra than present day

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Making your superhero bisexual just doubles the potential lovers to be shoved in a fridge.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Frankly I take a lot of heart from the idea that this storyline is happening in a mainstream title that presumably the bulk of the comic-buying audience is just taking in stride.

20 years ago just being at, like, Comic-Con and flipping through the pages of a comic and realizing there's a same-sex relationship in it would make you go "OH poo poo THIS IS A GAY COMIC" and scuttle off into the shadows hoping nobody saw you.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Data Graham posted:

Frankly I take a lot of heart from the idea that this storyline is happening in a mainstream title that presumably the bulk of the comic-buying audience is just taking in stride.

20 years ago just being at, like, Comic-Con and flipping through the pages of a comic and realizing there's a same-sex relationship in it would make you go "OH poo poo THIS IS A GAY COMIC" and scuttle off into the shadows hoping nobody saw you.

I remember being 12 and borrowing Kalervo Palsa's Eläkeläinen muistelee from the library. Very little vis-à-vis sexual content in comics has managed to shock me since. Also König's "Killer Condom" albums and "Lysistrata" at around the same time.

e: Very much :nws: in case you go GISing for Palsa. Well, a warning anyway, I didn't try, just in case.

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 13:09 on Oct 12, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I think people are just surprised and amazed that DC is actually letting characters not be perpetually 30 and either single or newlywed. See what happens every time they try to have Spider-man move on with his life.

Of course, comics nowadays are basically an idea farm/rough drafts for media that actually makes money.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think people are just surprised and amazed that DC is actually letting characters not be perpetually 30 and either single or newlywed. See what happens every time they try to have Spider-man move on with his life.

Of course, comics nowadays are basically an idea farm/rough drafts for media that actually makes money.

How Amerocentric of you :smuggo: In the rest of the world, they make comic book movies that don't make money.

e: Actually, I think the Asterix and Tintin movies made a lot of money, so :shrug:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I want a Tintin on the moon movie.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Superman's Pal Limmy

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Ghost Leviathan posted:

DC isn't much better. In the 2010s they actually said outloud "Our readers won't be able to relate to happily married heroes with kids" and rolled out a mandate that broke up every major couple in the first half of last decade. Like even Superman and Lois wasn't allowed to be a thing.
When the dumb policy was announced/enforced it lead to the talent behind a hugely successful Batwoman series walking out from the book mid story arc because DC editorial had interfered multiple times & refused to let Batwoman marry her partner.

I think the chuds are vaguely aware that on a corporate level most of this is just pandering, but they don't understand that's what all big companies do and have always done. Coca Cola didn't do the Christmas cans out of obligation to evangelize and celebrate the christ's birth, they were just chasing dollars.

Scratch Monkey posted:

When I think of gay comic book heroes I think of Northstar who no one cared about because he was part of Alpha Flight
funny enough marvel really hyped up his wedding in issue of X-Men/made it a cover story in I wanna say 2013 or so. The most salient critique at the time was Marvel and DC at the would only let a minor character with no impact on actual stories have a non het long term relationship. DC's bungling of Batwoman actually made Northstar's wedding the first US comic from the big 2 to feature a gay wedding.

Coolness Averted has a new favorite as of 16:44 on Oct 12, 2021

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo

Coolness Averted posted:

I think the chuds are vaguely aware that on a corporate level most of this is just pandering, but they don't understand that's what all big companies do and have always done. Coca Cola didn't do the Christmas cans out of obligation to evangelize and celebrate the christ's birth, they were just chasing dollars.

For big companies, sure. But you have to remember where Chuds live and the kinds of companies that are in those places. Just as the federal budget is just like a large household budget, really big corporations are just bigger versions of mom-and-pop stores. Hell, I was working with a large scientific equipment manufacturing company from the midwest and I was unofficially told to "Christian myself up" before working with them and if I am comfortable, "tell them I am not a Jew." There are plenty of privately owned companies who will go to bad for their politics. That's why big corporations pandering is so terrifying to them.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
As a kid I liked spidey as a grownup. He was married and having a kid and I didn’t care. Did think it was weird his kid was kidnapped or whatever and never seen or heard from again, and probably erased from reality when he made the deal with the devil.

Actually when spidey recently had that new centipede demon enemy who was trapped in hell and blamed it on spidey I thought it would be cool if it ended up being his lost daughter.

Alas they went with dead Harry Osborne from pre-deal with the devil time line

It’s dumb and I think supernatural spidey stuff is pretty dumb, but it’ll all be retconned eventually so who cares

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Skwirl posted:

Are kids today using new slurs or the same old ones we did without knowing, since because of streaming they at least have access to the same tv shows that treated those words as normal, no idea if they actually watch them?

Dunno for slurs, but I was at the zoo about two years ago, and there was a big group of schoolkids about 10-11 years old or so moving along at roughly the right pace to show up right as I was leaving each exhibit. Three or four of the kids had apparently adopted, with zero trace of visual irony or jokiness, the term "Harambe" to refer to literally every animal. So we'd be leaving the hippo enclosure, and these kids would come charging up shouting "Look! Big water harambes! I think they're hippos! Look at the harambes!"

I can't stress enough that no one laughed at this, no one looked like they were trying to provoke any response, it was just breathlessly excited kids exactly like any other kid on a field trip to the zoo, but they were calling everything harambes.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Ambitious Spider posted:

As a kid I liked spidey as a grownup. He was married and having a kid and I didn’t care. Did think it was weird his kid was kidnapped or whatever and never seen or heard from again, and probably erased from reality when he made the deal with the devil.

Actually when spidey recently had that new centipede demon enemy who was trapped in hell and blamed it on spidey I thought it would be cool if it ended up being his lost daughter.

Alas they went with dead Harry Osborne from pre-deal with the devil time line

It’s dumb and I think supernatural spidey stuff is pretty dumb, but it’ll all be retconned eventually so who cares

Funnily enough that’s Spencer’s run and it looked like that run was going to undo one more day the event that ended Peters marriage

Until it didn’t though it implies it kind of did

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
When I was a Spider-Man reading kid I appreciated that he was a poor student most of the time, but was also cool with him having a wife to come home to. Dude did a lot of work in the 90s marvel universe he should have some personal life too. I hear all this stuff over the years about writers hyper dedicated to loving up his marriage and just don't get it at all. I guess they read Gwen issues as a kid or something.

I seem to recall one issue where he got a new place with a skylight and is all hell yeah i can crawl in and out of that and starts fantasizing about a custom Spider-Van but realizes he can't afford it. A hero of the people.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

theironjef posted:

Dunno for slurs, but I was at the zoo about two years ago, and there was a big group of schoolkids about 10-11 years old or so moving along at roughly the right pace to show up right as I was leaving each exhibit. Three or four of the kids had apparently adopted, with zero trace of visual irony or jokiness, the term "Harambe" to refer to literally every animal. So we'd be leaving the hippo enclosure, and these kids would come charging up shouting "Look! Big water harambes! I think they're hippos! Look at the harambes!"

I can't stress enough that no one laughed at this, no one looked like they were trying to provoke any response, it was just breathlessly excited kids exactly like any other kid on a field trip to the zoo, but they were calling everything harambes.

The chief conclusion one can draw from a study of etymology is that all words in a language are either derivations from really ancient word stems, borrowed words from neighboring/politically intertwined cultures, or really dumb meaningless bullshit. I can't think of any single word that means "large exotic animal", so gently caress it, maybe Harambe will make the jump from weird joke, to subcultural reference, to dialect word, to standard English. That's what happened with "jazz" after all. It'll probably end up being pronounced "harmy" or "harby" by the end though.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Pretty sure Northstar got AIDS in the previous century, didn't he?

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Pretty sure Northstar got AIDS in the previous century, didn't he?

One writer wanted to give him AIDS, but everyone shot it down and instead he and his sister both had an unspecified magical wasting disease. A villain made his worse and something cured hers, so uh read that however you will.

I think the first hero to explicitly deal with HIV as an ongoing arc and die of AIDS was Image's Shadowhawk. Who of course contracted HIV because criminals held him down and injected him with infected blood, that thing that happened frequently in the 90's.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Kenning posted:

I can't think of any single word that means "large exotic animal"

“Exotic” doesn’t carry much meaning in ecology because it’s largely referring to human perception of the animal, but the term “megafauna” is in common use and collectively covers most big animals you’d see in the zoo. “Charismatic megafauna” is generally used to describe “big animals that people get excited about like elephants, whales, hippos, and harambes.”
But yeah we’re due for a more modern version of “beast.”

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Harambe happened before you whippersnappers were born!!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

“Exotic” doesn’t carry much meaning in ecology because it’s largely referring to human perception of the animal, but the term “megafauna” is in common use and collectively covers most big animals you’d see in the zoo. “Charismatic megafauna” is generally used to describe “big animals that people get excited about like elephants, whales, hippos, and harambes.”
But yeah we’re due for a more modern version of “beast.”

Yeah all of this is boring nerd jargon. If I'm 10 and at the zoo, I just wanna see some harbies.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
In the 90's there was the Legacy virus which was an allegory for Aids. At first only mutants got it and no-one cared and then when humans found out they could get it too people began to care (and also blame the mutants). Not sure if Northstar ever had the Legacy Virus as I wasn't reading much X-Men during this time period but there you have it.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Light Gun Man posted:

When I was a Spider-Man reading kid I appreciated that he was a poor student most of the time, but was also cool with him having a wife to come home to. Dude did a lot of work in the 90s marvel universe he should have some personal life too. I hear all this stuff over the years about writers hyper dedicated to loving up his marriage and just don't get it at all. I guess they read Gwen issues as a kid or something.

This was mostly just one person who happened to be the Editor in Chief. That tends to be how it is where the writers want to try new and interesting things with these characters and the higher ups are all "BUT THAT MIGHT HURT SALES" meanwhile the industry just keeps on dying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Coolness Averted posted:

One writer wanted to give him AIDS, but everyone shot it down and instead he and his sister both had an unspecified magical wasting disease. A villain made his worse and something cured hers, so uh read that however you will.

I think the first hero to explicitly deal with HIV as an ongoing arc and die of AIDS was Image's Shadowhawk. Who of course contracted HIV because criminals held him down and injected him with infected blood, that thing that happened frequently in the 90's.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f3xUjw2BCYE