Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Ive been thinking about SHASN/AZADI but I don't particularly understand if I need both or just one, it's a bit expensive for both, $200 for something IDK if I'm even going to like seems too much

Azadi is the expansion. It requires Shasn as the base game.

$198 USD for both. It's a fairly expensive buy in if you want both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Infinitum posted:

Azadi is the expansion. It requires Shasn as the base game.

$198 USD for both. It's a fairly expensive buy in if you want both.

There's an Azadi standalone if you don't want Shasn. Azadi is a semi-coop, Shasn is fully competitive.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I'll pass, it says available retail so maybe then I'll get it. $125 standalone is still too rich for me right now

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
The photos of those cards look kind of similar to these Bicycle Prestige cards, which are also some form of textured plastic and feel quite nice IMO.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Ive been thinking about SHASN/AZADI but I don't particularly understand if I need both or just one, it's a bit expensive for both, $200 for something IDK if I'm even going to like seems too much

I felt the same as you. Looks real interesting but at that price, and delivering in 2023? I'll catch up with it later

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Same, same. I'm also interested in e.g. Voidfall but these games looking to be be done halfway into 2023 is a long time.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

It’s like buying future you a present!

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Hexplore do sounded cool but there were too many options for a blind buy for me.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Azubah posted:

Hexplore do sounded cool but there were too many options for a blind buy for me.

Trip report from my first 1 1/2 playthroughs -- it is, in fact, very cool. There's a ton of content in just the first box and if you're not sure if it's for you, getting the "base set" is more than enough. While I've pulled the expansion content and have it ready, I've only played with the base game (and a pair of race/classes from its expansion to power me up a bit) and I had a solid 10 hours in front of my table yesterday/last night furiously writing and erasing and rolling dice and having a great time on my own. The challenge is real (people call the first game easy and, uh, if they say so) and while I can see constantly doing certain boss fights being a bit repetitive, the characters give you so many different options for taking on those fights, that it'll at least be interesting.

Klik, the Goblin Emperor, is a jerk though. Stay 'way from him.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Fate Accomplice posted:

It’s like buying future you a present!

This is how I look at it too, but past me bought present me a lot of gifts that I wasn't able to play during the pandemic, so I'm slowing down at this point.

Leika
Jul 15, 2021

Doctor Zero posted:

If it’s plastic instead of card stock the edges shouldn’t fray and wear out.

Yeah I had poker cards ages ago made out of plastic. Eventually the paint faded out but no card ever had Frey edges or other marks. And they are beer proof

Leika
Jul 15, 2021

armorer posted:

This is how I look at it too, but past me bought present me a lot of gifts that I wasn't able to play during the pandemic, so I'm slowing down at this point.

Yeah, I just realized the other day that I'll get tiny epic dungeons in the near future, totally forgot about that

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Leika posted:

Yeah, I just realized the other day that I'll get tiny epic dungeons in the near future, totally forgot about that

lol I have an absolute glut of games that have arrived or about to arrive in the next month. Last Year Me backed too many things :v:
The only one I semi-regret not updating my $1 pledge from was Tinner's Trail - but I suspect it's more a game I would enjoy more than my table.

Speaking of not updating, Chai Tea for 2 promised their pledge manager would be live almost a month ago. Apparently they're in full on manufacturing mode, but how can you do that without confirming numbers via the pledge manager :psyduck:
Before that it was almost a 2 month wait before the first update after the campaign had finished.

You can usually get a good gut feeling on a campaign from how it's being run, and there's no way I'm comfortable giving these guys money.

Leika
Jul 15, 2021

Yeah I'm lucky that 1. We are planning an extension to the house so throwing money around isn't a smart idea and 2. With the newborn having been in the work the last 9 months I knew I would have time to play anything for about a year anyway ...

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Infinitum posted:

You can usually get a good gut feeling on a campaign from how it's being run, and there's no way I'm comfortable giving these guys money.

I think that's a good rule - things can go wrong for anyone, and you don't need daily updates. But if things go wrong and the creators try and hide or prevaricate? That's a red flag

Eventually decided not to back SHASN:AZADI. A very interesting project but reviews on BGG indicate that it's mostly interesting, more than a good game. And I'm into games as interesting experiences but not for that money. Feel that these mechanics might somehow be reshaped into something more gamey, perhaps like Swedish Parliament.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

nonathlon posted:

I think that's a good rule - things can go wrong for anyone, and you don't need daily updates. But if things go wrong and the creators try and hide or prevaricate? That's a red flag

Eventually decided not to back SHASN:AZADI. A very interesting project but reviews on BGG indicate that it's mostly interesting, more than a good game. And I'm into games as interesting experiences but not for that money. Feel that these mechanics might somehow be reshaped into something more gamey, perhaps like Swedish Parliament.

I got the impression that if I wanted to play SHASN, I may as well pick up Die Macher.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
Went to take a last minute look at Myth and Goal and the project has been cancelled.

Presumably a case of a fake initial goal and a hidden much higher actual goal they didn’t reach.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

HidaO-Win posted:

Presumably a case of a fake initial goal and a hidden much higher actual goal they didn’t reach.

Ha ha! You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is 'never get involved in a land war in Asia' - but only slightly less well-known is this: 'Never back a Crowdfunded company with 4 non-delivered campaigns when cash is on the line!'

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
Yeah, they seem to deliver, but 4 outstanding kickstarters with the current shipping situation seems like a risky proposition.

Also, those are some of the most boring miniatures I've seen in a long time. I can't tell the difference between most of the different teams by the sculpts, they would all blend together on the tabletop because the silhouettes are all the same.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Infinitum posted:

Speaking of not updating, Chai Tea for 2 promised their pledge manager would be live almost a month ago. Apparently they're in full on manufacturing mode, but how can you do that without confirming numbers via the pledge manager :psyduck:
Before that it was almost a 2 month wait before the first update after the campaign had finished.

I got an e-mail from them saying they'd be sending out Chai: High Tea next week so I think it has just been a case of lots of pandemic-related setbacks. I'm sure they'll have the pledge manager for Chai Tea for 2 up when things with Chai: High Tea smooth out.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
The Chai stuff is such a shame but I don't think I can look past the red flags. I had fully accepted that I was going to get Tea for 2 and regular Chai as well as some dice trays but now I'm probably not going to bump up my $1. That's not entirely because of how this has been run, shipping costs and additional VAT on orders are equally to blame, but my gut feeling isn't doing anything to sway me back to going all in with it.

I think the couple running it seem nice, the game looks like a lot of fun, is gorgeous and has a theme I can really sell to a lot of my groups but I guess I will just wait for retail, skip the trays and Tea for 2 and just pick up the base game at some hypothetical point in the future.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Did you like Apothecaria, the solo journaling RPG about gathering ingredients to make potions to heal people, but felt it was missing something? Something like "playing animals in a Scottish forest," perhaps?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/diamondblood/apawthecaria-a-poultice-pounder-adventure

Potential stretch goals include a secret island full of wallabies that's actually a real place in scotland.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I was just gonna get the dice trays in tea for 2, so can anyone recommend some pretty dice trays?

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
1. Buy an AK-97 assault rifle.
2. If there's someone hanging around your neighborhood you don't know, shoot him.
Finally got my copy of Car Wars Sixth Edition after a long wait. Campaign started November 2019, then COVID happened, and everything got delayed until now. My pledge got me a really nice 12" cube box with a bunch of components and expansions, and there's more coming (much to the chagrin of my wife, ha). Backers got a huge deal, I paid $140 for this particular pledge but now Steve Jackson Games' website shows you can pre-order the same stuff for $315 ($375 when their pre-order discount expires). Shipping and production issues really screwed them over, but I hope the project is successful. And it's a fun game!

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

HiriseSoftware posted:

Finally got my copy of Car Wars Sixth Edition after a long wait. Campaign started November 2019, then COVID happened, and everything got delayed until now. My pledge got me a really nice 12" cube box with a bunch of components and expansions, and there's more coming (much to the chagrin of my wife, ha). Backers got a huge deal, I paid $140 for this particular pledge but now Steve Jackson Games' website shows you can pre-order the same stuff for $315 ($375 when their pre-order discount expires). Shipping and production issues really screwed them over, but I hope the project is successful. And it's a fun game!

Same here. I haven't opened it, because I may do an opening video.

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
2. If there's someone hanging around your neighborhood you don't know, shoot him.

Doctor Zero posted:

Same here. I haven't opened it, because I may do an opening video.

What's up, fellow autoduellist! There are a few unboxing videos out there now, but if you've got the audience, go for it! I played once at a small convention before COVID, and have been consuming as much info as I can, like compiling a list of build cards, looking at dice probabilities, etc before the release. I'm so glad it's starting to get into people's hands, and I look forward to demoing it at my FLGS. My first game was with my 10 year old who's mostly into Roblox and he was into it at least for a while (he loved rolling gobs of dice), and the last board game he played before that was Monopoly Jr. so I consider that a win. I mostly have been doing some solo games to get used to gameplay and contributing to an unofficial Discord where we've had folks from Steve Jackson Games stop by and discuss rules, thought processes during design, etc.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
What does Car Wars do that makes it worth looking at over Gaslands? More in depth list building? Mechanics? I love Gaslands for being an arcade-y tabletop game with juuuust the right amount of building lists beforehand (and by far the best use of movement templates I’ve seen), but if CW is a lot more granular and involved it might be worth a look.

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:

Bottom Liner posted:

What does Car Wars do that makes it worth looking at over Gaslands? More in depth list building? Mechanics? I love Gaslands for being an arcade-y tabletop game with juuuust the right amount of building lists beforehand (and by far the best use of movement templates I’ve seen), but if CW is a lot more granular and involved it might be worth a look.

I would say that Gaslands is more abstract arcade-y and Car Wars 6th is more of an arcade simulation. You're moving fluidly around the table using a stick that looks like a big butter knife vs teleporting to the end of a multitude of templates. They're still some abstraction with how collisions work and stuff that doesn't always make sense physically, but they're like that to speed up the game.

Car building is far granular - you build with cards, each one has a point value, and you pick cards up to the maximum value chosen for that game - things like weapons, extra armor plating, upgrades, accessories, and items for your crew. Armor is on facings - firing arcs sweep out at angles instead of just straight ahead. So it's like a dogfight with cars, where you're constantly trying to circle around each other aiming for that most vulnerable side or use your strongest weapon, etc.

The basic rules illustrate a 4-player arena duel (the core set is 2-4 players, any more than that and it slows things down, plus you need to buy more stuff) but they also sell road tiles so you can have some highway dueling scenarios. It's not grid-based or anything, so you can play anywhere with flat terrain. No jumps though!

Go to SJG's website and check out some gameplay videos!

HiriseSoftware fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Oct 12, 2021

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
But can I still shop at Uncle Al Auto and Gunnery Shop?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Well for all you Gaslands and Car Wars fans, Thunder Road: Vendetta launches later today.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/restorationgames/thunder-road-vendetta

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LGgqS9OWQg

A bunch of other poo poo is launching later today as well
https://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/q5vpk7/crowdfunded_games_launching_this_week_oct_11th/

I think Paint the Roses has the potential to be super fun
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/253759/paint-roses
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/northstargames/paint-the-roses-a-cooperative-puzzle-game-in-wonderland

Same designer and company as Oceans, which my friend REALLY likes.
Deluxe version looks like it has some very nice tiles, so probably worth a look in.
Allegedly $30 for base game, $60 for deluxe.

First 5min of this vid gives an explanation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5t2PyPVAufk

Tile laying + Tile guessing :nyoron:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Infinitum posted:

Well for all you Gaslands and Car Wars fans, Thunder Road: Vendetta launches later today.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/restorationgames/thunder-road-vendetta

I still have the original, thanks. It's slightly more than a roll and move because you have to juggle all your vehicles, but the endgame is pretty poo poo.

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:

Bucnasti posted:

But can I still shop at Uncle Al Auto and Gunnery Shop?

There's an expansion called the "Uncle Al's Upgrade Pack" that includes a bunch of unique and interesting equipment to use, and they showed his face in the KS campaign, but that's about it. They also shifted the classic timeline about 50 years as shown in the rulebook, though the fiction at this point is meaningless, it's just for fun.

And I'm interested in the new ThunderRoad, if only to see how the final components look. That prototype they showed is very early and they were even using the old wrecks and helicopters! Might back $1 or something just to see the updates.

HiriseSoftware fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Oct 12, 2021

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Rock Paper Scissors Deluxe Edition

wut

..wut

Link

WUT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRpjclrvLd4

WUT

:psyduck:

It's performance art

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Instaback.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

The description of Offensive Adult Party Game alone is worth your time reading this.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

Myth & Goal has cancelled despite looking like closing at about 184% of their goal. They claim it is a chance to retool the game to deal with the many, many critical comments they got about their game. Reading between the lines, though, this was another case of having a fake goal number and not hitting the number they actually wanted/needed to make the project worthwhile.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

gschmidl posted:

The description of Offensive Adult Party Game alone is worth your time reading this.

The link to the Board Game Amplifier Review is pretty amusing as well.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dnlnwmn/union-station

Cube Rails, but shipped as a gift to dodge charges!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bnbgames/micro-medusa
Micro Medusa is doing something similar. Mails you an envelope and you make it yourself.

Good on em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Infinitum posted:

wut

..wut

WUT

WUT

:psyduck:

It's performance art

I’ve never seen a kickstarter which is just an advertisement for a YouTube channel before. Unless the YouTube channel is also a joke?