Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

Archie is currently a high school teacher, ROTC instructor, unlicensed PTSD therapist, football coach, firefighter, militia member, and a general contractor, and I'm definitely missing some occupations. He fought in WWI, was attacked by a bear, was a super hero, joined a gang, infiltrated a cult (I think 2 actually? There were 2 separate cults operating in one season), hunted a serial killer, went to prison, there are maple coated magic mushrooms, aliens, and the whole town got over a seizure-inducing, waterborne disease and quarantine between two episodes.

Please watch the rest of the seasons.

I would love to watch this but tbh I don't want to watch the normal high school drama of the first season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Incidentally, I'm kind of bothered about this implication, if that's what we're meant to infer, that a being who has enough sense of self to name herself and behaves in normal, socially acceptable ways, can somehow not possess a soul.

Also maybe the reason the the chandak lives alone in the middle of the lake is because she only tells people terrible things they don't want to know.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
We may be reading too much into this, we dont know what is going on here yet. It could be just "you dont know who you are yet" or something dumb. I'm sure we'll get 3 pages of expositional dialouge journal entries to explain it soon

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Yeah Mookie has no concept of imagery or sequential art, she's probably just telling Corpsemom about her super chandak power.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

The author really wants to look like he's doing thoughtful emotional storytelling, but has put no thought and minimal emotion into the storytelling at all. This is like, it should be symbolic or something (at about the level of sophistication of Disney's Mulan, admittedly) but there's no way for us to get a sense of what this is supposed to mean, so it's going to have to be described in detail, killing any point of the initial symbolic action.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Imagine being so bad at visual storytelling that you have to resort to some dipshit's diary entries to explain things in a comic with a gimmick of "no dialogue."

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Joe Slowboat posted:

The author really wants to look like he's doing thoughtful emotional storytelling, but has put no thought and minimal emotion into the storytelling at all. This is like, it should be symbolic or something (at about the level of sophistication of Disney's Mulan, admittedly) but there's no way for us to get a sense of what this is supposed to mean, so it's going to have to be described in detail, killing any point of the initial symbolic action.

It's probably like the first page in a 2-3 page sequence. The people saying "oh she doesn't have a reflection because she doesn't have a soul", well, she had a reflection to begin with, the chandak made it go away, so next page we'll probably see it replaced by something symbolic or whatever. No need to jump to conclusions, the awful will jump on our laps on its own.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
I want to be surprised by how lovely it is

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Fun fact for any classic DD readers. Having just finished rereading the Cruise Ship arc, Mookie appears to have removed some strips from the archive. At one point, the cruise ship flew over Maltak and Dominic and Luna saw the Maestro (of magical electric guitar fame) doing a thunderstorm performance over the wasteland. It was then clarified that this was a "requiem for the fallen". I remember people commenting on how in poor taste that seemed at the time.

These strips are missing from the archive, and there's no mention of them or point where they could be included.

I guess Mookie took the chance when he reorganized the archives to memory hole that particular choice.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

out of all the things to memoryhole he chose that??

i don't even remember that but as described i can only think of a scene from the phantom tollbooth anyway

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

I think his website ate the page, the files are still there if you hunt for them. Posted as links if you don't want spoilers for the recap:
Oct. 6th 2008
Oct. 7th 2008
Oct. 8th 2008
Oct. 9th 2008
Oct. 10th 2008 (fanart)
Oct. 11th 2008 (fanart)
Oct. 12th 2008 (fanart)
(edit: they would be on Chapter 24, part 8, page 2, which is blank but probably shouldn't be)

Trapezium Dave fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Oct 12, 2021

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Trapezium Dave posted:

I think his website ate the page, the files are still there if you hunt for them. Posted as links if you don't want spoilers for the recap:
Oct. 6th 2008
Oct. 7th 2008
Oct. 8th 2008
Oct. 9th 2008
Oct. 10th 2008 (fanart)
Oct. 11th 2008 (fanart)
Oct. 12th 2008 (fanart)
(edit: they would be on Chapter 24, part 8, page 2, which is blank but probably shouldn't be)

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
IIRC the Maestro ends up either being possessed or willingly working for the bad guys by his final appearance. So maybe Mookie decided he didn't want a villain with scenes that show him having empathy and compassion by the standards of this webcomic knowing his general takes on morality.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
It's gotta be due to incompetence, no way he ever reads through these archives or remembers what happened so he wouldn't even notice something got cut out. And this new webcomic plugin he uses is so terrible that I can believe it just dropped pages.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Mx. posted:

out of all the things to memoryhole he chose that??

i don't even remember that but as described i can only think of a scene from the phantom tollbooth anyway

That was the exact vibe I was getting from that description, yeah. Like the orchestra playing colour into the world. Of course in Mookie's hands it's x-treme rock and roll contortions and gurning.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

TheHan posted:

It's gotta be due to incompetence, no way he ever reads through these archives or remembers what happened so he wouldn't even notice something got cut out. And this new webcomic plugin he uses is so terrible that I can believe it just dropped pages.

Also if it were deliberate he wouldn’t do it silently.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Mors Rattus posted:

Also if it were deliberate he wouldn’t do it silently.

It's this. There would be a very long blog post or Twitter thread patting himself on the back.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Turns out Deegan fans do exist in the wild:

https://twitter.com/LoadingCrew/status/1447719673848598528?s=20

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

I......

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Holy god, I looked at more of his tweets

https://twitter.com/LoadingCrew/status/1447748361747148806

https://twitter.com/LoadingCrew/status/1447742191036678144

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
I mean, at least he admits Jazz Hands was handled poorly

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Let's talk about appropriation and how to respectfully integrate one character into a very coded culture of an indigenous one! Basically, you want to do the complete opposite of what Mookie did.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

Please read on as I, a whitefella, opine about how good a job this other whitefella did using indigenous-coded orcs for his fantasy webcomic

It's such good writing, the best

....And I just realisedhe posted it on indigenous peoples day
Classic

Mx. fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Oct 13, 2021

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

TheHan posted:

You can make out a little dip in their hips that makes me think this is a woman, I imagine next week we'll know for sure since she's almost definitely gonna be topless.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

ugh the tail is erect

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
It also appears to be sticking out of his left hip.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Stop drawing naked people. You're no good at it and it just makes the comic gross

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Correction: person. He draws the same naked woman over and over again, with a different head.

Seriously, look back, all the major women in this comic have the exact same build as this lady. Same hips, same butt, same boobs. Hell, all the men too, they're all the Dominic tall + skinny build.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah true. And the same pubic hair.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Wait why is Snout surprised by any of this, nudity is supposed to be nothing to this guy, he's around naked women all the time

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

it's like chekhovs tits

you see a female character in more than one scene and you know her tits gonna come out at some point

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
Yeah gotta take off this dress that's seemingly made of sea weed to go in the lake.

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

I don't like that Snout's tail is erect in the presence of this strange naked lady. I was going to ask where the other characters were during this uncomfortable situation but I remembered that they just T pose off screen until they need to appear again. How long has this been going now? Two years? Three?

Catpetter1981
Apr 9, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DamnitGannet posted:

How long has this been going now? Two years? Three?

SardonicTyrant posted:

On July 2, 2019, Mookie posted the first strip of the sequel to one of the most infamous webcomics out there, Dominic Deegan.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I can't believe this 'comic' has been with us since the Before Times. I could have sworn it began in like February or so of 2020, when we were in transition from the Before Times to the Great Dying.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Snout's face just keeps growing more innocent and childlike and I hate it more and more

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
It's like a harem comic where the protagonist is a pet dog.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I remember seeing a little bit of Tenchi Muyo back when I was a young teen and it was on Toonami in the 90s. And I remember thinking that Tenchi was a dorky loser with no personality.
So I mean I guess it's kind of on-model for a harem anime?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Hang on, gotta take off this garland of seaweed before we get in the water, don't want it to get wet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I still want to know what that dipshit on Twitter thinks is well written or respectful about Donovan being one of the most honored and celebrated people in the orc culture. It's literally exactly the same as Dances With Wolves/Avatar/Last Samurai where a white dude becomes so great at being another race that they accept him as one of their own. Oh except Donovan can't actually speak orcish worth a poo poo so why the hell is he respected?

She's probably supposed to be giving a reassuring smile to Snout in the first panel, letting him know that she's about to reveal a great secret/truth to him, but Mookie can't draw so it's just straight up a "Let's gently caress" smile.